Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Max Wright moves from DE to TE

16,399 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TripleSec
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not to FB like many of you claimed
TexasLeaguer
AG
This seems like a weird switch to me. With wydermyer and cupp, do we really need another TE?
Dro07
AG
holy 3TE sets!
AggieBlu
AG
Seems like moving to fullback would have been a more natural change but D-Line lineup must be more challenging to crack
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Traveler
AG
When was the last time a "position change" player actually made a positive contribution for the Aggies?
I'm talking "real" position change, like moving to the other side of the ball, not Safety to CB or DE to DT ...

Brandon Williams? (for a season)
Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)
AWP 97
AG
This was just Max talking during an interview. Nothing official from the coaching staff. I would imagine that they will try him at TE, FB, and H-back. Obviously, trying to (Max)imize the talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Just Tired
Traveler said:

When was the last time a "position change" player actually made a positive contribution for the Aggies?
I'm talking "real" position change, like moving to the other side of the ball, not Safety to CB or DE to DT ...

Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)

nate askew... https://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/71761/smooth-transition-for-am-lb-askew
Bird Poo
AG
Are we even sure that Cupp will be 100%?

His injury was awful.
Snap E Tom
Traveler said:

Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_Gillaspia
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)

Aaron Hansford says hello - from WR to LB and played well last season at LB
ironmanag
AG
PearlJammin said:

Are we even sure that Cupp will be 100%?

His injury was awful.
He broke a bone. He will be fine.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
The Agly Duckling
I thought it was said at the time that Tannehill and Jerrod Johnson were both always considered QBs and kept practicing as such, but that we were weak at WR and TE than Jerrod and Tanny helped out there. It also got their physical talent on the field contributing, instead of sitting on the bench behind the older and more experienced starting QB.
Traveler
AG
I loved him, but I wouldn't call CG an impactful player (besides special teams)
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Traveler said:

Spyderman
AG
TexasLeaguer said:

This seems like a weird switch to me. With wydermyer and cupp, do we really need another TE?
One must trust the process.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Traveler
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Traveler said:

Bunk Moreland
I think you'll see it happen with more frequency under Jimbo. He's old school and if guys truly buy into the program then they'll trust that a position change is the best chance for them to further their playing career. Whether that means getting meaningful snaps just while at A&M, or to have a chance to be successful as a professional.
94chem
Every right-handed kid on the Aggie baseball team was a shortstop at some point. About time that football coaches recognize that HS position doesn't mean jack. Also about time the players realize it too.
My Dad Earl
AG
Traveler said:

Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)

This exact same situation worked out well for Jason Witten.
rgag12
AG
I remember Wright came in here with a lot of hype. It's a shame it isn't working out for him so far
PneumAg
I don't think Max is strong enough or explosive enough to ever make a meaningful contribution at DL. Might as well try him as a backup TE.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Traveler said:

I mean, the dude get drafted which doesn't happen to 95% of the guys who play here.
Alpha Texan
AG
dromo07 said:

holy 3TE sets!
Hammer time!

Or do we call it the trinity?
KatyAg88
What 94chem said. Everybody wants to be qb these days and I see a lot of HS qb that would be better at LB and probably darn good at that position.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Gillespia. Cagan Baldree was OG in HS. Sherman used that backup QB from Midland at Hback.

It depends on how well the coaching staff identifies talent. Sherm was good. So is Jimbo.
KJN86
AG
Traveler said:

Tannehill
JFF (from Safety - ha!)

Aaron Hansford.
Agsuffering@bulaw
This is a bad sign for Wright. IF he had hands, he would have started at TE.

We already have Wydermeyer. We already expect great things from Cupp. Ryan Renick established himself as an adequate blocking TE. Jimbo talked Beal out of transferring and must believe that Beal can make it. Best case is another Trevor Wood.

Guessing that Jimbo gives him 1 more year on scholarship, unless he makes the transition and becomes an effective blocking TE.
greg.w.h
AG
Being willing to do what it takes to win can be transformative even if it means changing who you think you are!
P.U.T.U
AG
He is bigger and a good bit faster than the 4-star TE coming in, worth a shot to me for someone with Whiten size
sincereag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

This is a bad sign for Wright. IF he had hands, he would have started at TE.

We already have Wydermeyer. We already expect great things from Cupp. Ryan Renick established himself as an adequate blocking TE. Jimbo talked Beal out of transferring and must believe that Beal can make it. Best case is another Trevor Wood.

Guessing that Jimbo gives him 1 more year on scholarship, unless he makes the transition and becomes an effective blocking TE.

I thought Wright was hurt all last season, so I think it's premature to say he doesn't have hands.
Agsuffering@bulaw
He would have been recruited as a TE had he shown an ability to catch in HS.
schmellba99
AG
Sully Penny said:

I thought it was said at the time that Tannehill and Jerrod Johnson were both always considered QBs and kept practicing as such, but that we were weak at WR and TE than Jerrod and Tanny helped out there. It also got their physical talent on the field contributing, instead of sitting on the bench behind the older and more experienced starting QB.
Tannehil was a QB. Recruited as a QB, was always slated to play QB. He went to WR temporarily because we lacked depth, and he is a hell of an athlete. The idea he was converted from WR to QB is some silly idea that seems to live on texags.
beerad12man
AG
He's likely going to play a role at all of Hback/TE/FB. Just easier to say TE than all of the above.
beerad12man
AG
I don't think he will be utilized anything like Cupp/Wydermeyer who are true inline TEs. Again, Hback/TE/FB role. Likely as a lead blocker.

He's had major injuries for multiple seasons now. Getting any kind of production out of him would be considered a huge bonus at this point.
Agsuffering@bulaw
That was my point. He will block or warm the bench.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.