Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A Look ahead to 2020

9,811 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Coog_aTm
rwhitlock3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I would take some time to cover the bases on what has transpired since the end of the Aggie's football season in Houston with the Texas Bowl Victory and start taking inventory on what we have for 2020.

While the Aggies had 4 players declare early for the NFL draft, I really only see two as noticeable losses. Obviously, Madubuike was our best player last year and might be able to sneak his way into the first round in April. Quartney Davis was the other player that I would have liked to have had back. Count me in the group that is not too mad about Debione Renfro and Kendrick Rogers trying their luck in the NFL. I think Kendrick will be a late round selection based off his measureables alone, I think Renfro goes undrafted. But the talent we have to replace these guys has me excited. Yes, it is young and unproven, but I want to see what Jalen Preston, Dylan Wright, Caleb Chapman or one of the newcomers can do with more playing time.

I am a big fan of this 2020 class, maybe more so than the 2019 class. I feel the talent at the top is better and has more true difference makers (Demond Demas, Devon Achane, Fadil Diggs, Donnel Harris, Antonio Doyle, Antonio Johnson, Chris Morris, etc.).

Therecruiting rankings bias to help Texas out is becoming so blatant it is not even funny. They moved Hudson Card up after he missed most of his senior year with injury and did the same with a few of their OL. As long as they keep their head in the sand and don't realize that their "highly ranked classes" are propped up and not really all that great, then they will keep thinking they have more talent than they actually do and wonder why they can't "develop" anyone into the NFL.

I am leaning towards 9-3 for the record next year until Mond and the OL proves different. I just am not convinced they can provide enough time for Mond and he can use his legs in the right spots to be able to beat one of Auburn, Alabama, or LSU (or if we do beat them, then I think we drop a game we shouldn't). But hopefully we have 2-3 new starting OL and Jimbo is not afraid to use Mond's legs early and often in 2020 and we can make a run at 10+ wins in the regular season.

https://quickwhits.home.blog/2020/02/16/post-signing-day-musings/
greg.w.h
AG
I gave you a click. You're welcome. Now pay for my free access by buying ads.
Raptor
AG
9-3? 10 wins.

2020 is all or nothing.
mcag83
AG
10 - 2
gigemags-99
AG
Raptor said:

9-3? 10 wins.

2020 is all or nothing.

TheWoodsAg
AG
Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown of the last 45 days! Let me beak down the next 200+ days for you:

We'll have off-season workouts, and then some practices against each other, then more workouts, then more practices against each other.......then we'll play some games. In the meantime coaches will recruit more players.

Once games start, some players will get hurt (on our team and others) and some players we've never seen or heard of will start to contribute and play well (on our team and others). All of this will help determine who wins the games.

SPORTS!

BanderaAg956
9-3 is a fair expectation!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
yell_on_6th st
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown of the last 45 days! Let me beak down the next 200+ days for you:

We'll have off-season workouts, and then some practices against each other, then more workouts, then more practices against each other.......then we'll play some games. In the meantime coaches will recruit more players.

Once games start, some players will get hurt (on our team and others) and some players we've never seen or heard of will start to contribute and play well (on our team and others). All of this will help determine who wins the games.

SPORTS!

This guy gets it.
Azariah
AG
We replace Georgia and Clemson with Vanderbilt and Colorado. One of those teams doesn't even have a coach. 9-3 represents fourth in the West and zero progress. If we can't even squeeze out a win against Auburn in an odd year we need to seriously consider what we are getting for our money.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Azariah said:

We replace Georgia and Clemson with Vanderbilt and Colorado. One of those teams doesn't even have a coach. 9-3 represents fourth in the West and zero progress. If we can't even squeeze out a win against Auburn in an odd year we need to seriously consider what we are getting for our money.

Ib4youdontpayhissalary
Ib4trustinjimbo
Ib4youdontunderstandfootball
Ib4[fill in excuse]

If we don't win 10 games it will be a major signal for what we have in Jimbo and his staff.
beerad12man
AG
Need a minimum of 10-3 after the bowl. 9-4 would be a failure. 10-3 would be par for the course and acceptable considering the schedule. While I want even better than 10-3 due to a mediocre schedule and 17-18 seniors returning, at the end of the day, we've won 10 games 1 time in the last 21 years. Hard to be too mad about winning 10 no matter how it happens.

That said, I want 11-2 or better. We shall see.
That's why they call it a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be the way.
JaySugar
I want 11-1!
but would take 10-2
HunterAggie
I am a believer in Coach Fisher and always have been since he was hired in late 2017.

That being said, his third season in College Station is coming in 2020. With an easier schedule.

A Fisher-coached A&M team should not lose to 9 of those teams on that schedule. There should be no "trap" games with the talent (that is getting stronger and building depth) and the coaching on this team.

And while 9 - 3 will be the floor for next season, Coach Fisher & Co. should have the talent to beat at least one of the Auburn / Alabama / LSU teams in 2020. That is the progress this Aggie team needs to make.

10 - 2 should be achievable and, with the next recruiting class adding even more quality depth, will be the expectation for this football program in the years to come. And while it may not happen every year, that should be the expectation every season in the 2020s.
Spyderman
AG
50-7
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Agsuffering@bulaw
I generally agree with your posts. I have us 9-3 (reserve the right to change it IF either the OL or fish DL look great in spring).

But it would not take much to go 8-4. In the SEC, nobody is afraid of anybody. I give Arkie a ~10% chance, MSU~ 25% chance, SC ~25% chance.

Arkie likely comes in 1-2 with b2b losses (ND and MSU) looking to stop the bleeding. MSU is home and likely undefeated. SC is home, off a bye, and likely 5-2, believing and looking for the signature win.

OL- was not SECw worthy last year. Kenyon probably steps it up and maybe 1 of the seniors will. We still have too many holes, unless a non-senior steps up. We also lack depth until proven otherwise. The assumption being that after 3 full years, you usually know who a player is.

DL- Leal and Brown are good. Peevy is adequate, but has not shown more. Rogers is solid at best. We lack a proven pass-rusher. One of the kids probably step up. If not, we will lose 4 games.

Yes, there is upside. Ideally, a fish DTs takes Peevy's job and gets 5 sacks and a WDE steps up huge and gets 10 sacks. If so, then 9 wins probably is our ceiling, provided the OL doesnt regress and Mond stays healthy.

Edit: Meant to say 9 is the floor if 2 of the incoming DL emerge.
gA_CMAB_FA
Essentially a 3-game season:

@Auburn
@Alabama
vs LSU

Mond on the road vs elite defenses? ... meh ... don't hold your breath

... so vs LSU @Kyle for either:

1. 10-2 (good season, possible NY6 bowl) or
2. 9-3 (failed season regardless of bowl game)
Leander - Ag
AG
11-1
TAM85
Move K. green to LT, add an upgrade at center and I think we go 10-2.
HunterAggie
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I generally agree with your posts. I have us 9-3 (reserve the right to change it IF either the OL or fish DL look great in spring).

But it would not take much to go 8-4. In the SEC, nobody is afraid of anybody. I give Arkie a ~10% chance, MSU~ 25% chance, SC ~25% chance.

Arkie likely comes in 1-2 with b2b losses (ND and MSU) looking to stop the bleeding. MSU is home and likely undefeated. SC is home, off a bye, and likely 5-2, believing and looking for the signature win.

OL- was not SECw worthy last year. Kenyon probably steps it up and maybe 1 of the seniors will. We still have too many holes, unless a non-senior steps up. We also lack depth until proven otherwise. The assumption being that after 3 full years, you usually know who a player is.

DL- Leal and Brown are good. Peevy is adequate, but has not shown more. Rogers is solid at best. We lack a proven pass-rusher. One of the kids probably step up. If not, we will lose 4 games.

Yes, there is upside. Ideally, a fish DTs takes Peevy's job and gets 5 sacks and a WDE steps up huge and gets 10 sacks. If so, then 9 wins probably is our ceiling, provided the OL doesnt regress and Mond stays healthy.
I agree that the road through the SECW (and the South Carolina game) could possibly produce a loss.

I just think the possibility goes down every year that Coach Fisher is in charge and delivering these deeply talented recruiting classes.

Starting in 2020 (or 2021 at the latest with another strong class added) A&M should look at each coming season the way Saban, Orgeron and Malzahn do: the program should win all the other games against the other SECW "bottom 4" opponents and then battle it out with Bama, LSU and Auburn for supremacy. And I recognize that sometimes a disappointment occurs but the mentality should still be there.

I think this program is there with the talent on this team even this season as 2020 has a ton of starters (17?), a number of them being seniors, and progress should be made in Year 3 of the Coach Fisher Era.

2021 will take some reloading at spots (QB being the highest priority) but the depth should keep pushing to the top. Similar to the Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State programs.

I think this is a different A&M program in the 2020s and that the expectations should change. I am confident that those are the expectations for Coach Fisher. His steps to change the culture are well on their way to being established. And his recruiting classes are getting that Aggie program closer to that top portion of that mountain.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Again, that presumes road wins against decent SEC programs.
Slamn Sharpe
Lateralus Ag said:

Azariah said:

Ib4youdontpayhissalary
Ib4trustinjimbo
Ib4youdontunderstandfootball
Ib4[fill in excuse]

If we don't win 10 games it will be a major signal for what we have in Jimbo and his staff.

Didn't take you long.
#Mke
AG
Spyderman said:

50-7
Yeah we are further away than people realize I think. I was in Tiger Stadium for that one, game was over within 10 minutes of walking into the stadium gates.

That being said, 9-3 is what our record should be at a minimum just looking at our schedule & talent. That means I expect 8-4, because we seem to lose all big games, and generally at least one game we should win.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Fair enough. I think we will be there in 2021.

To me, the most likely scenario is slight improvement in the OL and ~ the same pass-rush productivity as 2019, but without requiring the gimmick 3rd down package (not criticising, Elko did what he needed to do).

I think that gets us 9-3. I think that we only get to 10-2 if LSU/Aub see major regression and/or we steal one b/c of major breaks our way. IF OL did not typically require so much development, it would be different. IF there were a real difference maker in the '18 OL class, he should have found the field.

I expect the LOS on defense to be a draw, but Auburn to win the LOS when we are on offense. I think they win 20-17 or thereabout.

I would love to be wrong.
DSAG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Very realistic evaluation.
My biggest concern is OL followed by QB.
We can get to 10 wins if these 2 areas show improvement.
Ian Neff
AG
How anyone thinks we lose to LSU is beyond me.
OrygunAg
AG
Gosh
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Need a minimum of 10-3 after the bowl. 9-4 would be a failure. 10-3 would be par for the course and acceptable considering the schedule. While I want even better than 10-3 due to a mediocre schedule and 17-18 seniors returning, at the end of the day, we've won 10 games 1 time in the last 21 years. Hard to be too mad about winning 10 no matter how it happens.

That said, I want 11-2 or better. We shall see.

This is exactly where I'm at

10-3 is fair given our recent history, but I want more and think this team is capable of it
Meanmachine
AG
South Carolina beat Georgia last year, anything can happen in our league. I will be really surprised if Miss St. doesn't give us all we can handle with Leach at the Helm. I do think we will beat at least one of the big 3. Anyone who thinks a 9 win regular season is a disappointment needs to look at our overall record since joining the SEC or the last 20 years, it has happened 3 times.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I mostly agree, but history is only telling if the significant factors are constant. Jimbo is the X factor and he is building a war machine that Sumlin never could.

I just think we are another year away. BTW, 9-3 is pretty good for an SECw war machine, most years. Its just that the 2020 schedule looks soft.
trackaggie76
AG
I think the missing piece is a truly elite QB. Kellen is a really good QB and he is our starter/leader. However, Calzada,King or Stowers could be the one to take us to the next level. One talking head predicted that the starter after Kellen would take us to a championship---hopefully he is right!
AWP 97
AG
TAM85 said:

I believe this would be best for the team, KG and Dan Moore. If he has any chance at the NFL, it will be at guard. He might as well get some experience there now.
Jay95
AG
I'm really hoping for 10-2!
NoahAg
8-4
We lose the 3 we're supposed to, plus a loss to someone we should beat. Like MSU or Arkansas.
mccag
S
Floor for my happiness is 10-2!

But I want 15-0 damit!
DSAG
AWP 97 said:

TAM85 said:

I believe this would be best for the team, KG and Dan Moore. If he has any chance at the NFL, it will be at guard. He might as well get some experience there now.
Kenyon Green is definitely not a LT.
He is at his natural spot now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.