Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas vs Texas A&M....1939

10,048 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Barnyard96
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
accidentally found this video from the Aggie game vs tu in 1939. Give it a look, as it has the Bonfire, Elephant Walk, the game & limited halftime performances of both schools' bands. Even had a little bit of a colorized version to it, as well.

If you like A&M football history like I do, then you will enjoy this video. Not many views since it was posted, so I assume it hasn't been posted on TexAgs before

Notes: Aggies kicked butt. Final score was 20-0. WHOOP!! Ags went on to win our one & only natty in football after beating Tulane in the Sugar Bowl on January 1, 1940.
Aggies wore white at home. Players wore raingear that said "TEXAS AGGIES" on the back.
Weather looked cold & dreary. Perfect weather for this date. Kyle looked full, despite the weather.
Game was played waaaaaay differently than today's game (duh) as the old adage of 3 yards & a cloud of dust was a perfect description during this era of football. It was a rough, tough, physical game designed to wear down your opponent in the 2nd half. If you notice, there were a LOT of punts. This was a strategy at the time. Many punts were on 2nd or 3rd down if the down/distance/field position was not particularly beneficial. Defenses didn't have a designated return man on earlier downs, so a good punt with bounce could potentially change the momentum of the game. It was not unusual to punt the ball 20 times/game, as a result. Thus the name FOOTBALL was more appropriate during those days....
Not many passing plays, but it seemed to be feast or famine on the few passing plays that were called.

Also, as a child growing up in the late 60's-early 70's (yes, I'm old), I heard many old Ags refer to the sip's as yellow bellies. Supposedly this comes from a game such as this because at one A&M vs Texas game, the orange dye from the Longhorn uni's faded & became yellow.

Feel free to contribute, as it is off-season for several more months.....
DD88
AG
Check out the clothesline tackle at 35:55.
UnderTheHillAg
Whoop!
ccatag
AG
Nice!
The Aggies had a nice passing game. First td a passing td and second td set-up by a long pass.
A couple of interceptions for the Aggie D.

Both bands at halftime.

1939 was National Championship
WC94
AG
Quote:

De-cleated and De-helmeted! That rivals "the hit".
shovel pass
AG
WC94 said:

Quote:

De-cleated and De-helmeted! That rivals "the hit".
LOL. That tackle needs to be added to the Kyle Field intro video.
AgDotCom
Wow. Glad I clicked on this. Thank you.
ahlongslide
AG
So. Awesome.
gocobra
AG
Great find. Thanks for sharing.

Never could get the sound to work. Probably should have played it on 4K. ??
GSPag`
War Hymn,

Thank you for your many contributions over the years. This one is also another great one.

The Grinder (99)
AG
War hymn Aggie is my all time favorite poster!
TheDraw
AG
That was hard to watch. We need to win another one soon so that we can re-watch our Natty in HD.
BQ78
AG
Most of those young men in the Elephant Walk no doubt served in World War II and some didn't come home.
cecil77
AG
Also, at that time public school was 11 years, not 12. So all the players are one year younger than now.
samhoustonag
Thanks for posting this.
The Agly Duckling
Can't wait to see this after work!
Aggies2009
AG
Cushing Library has several games from that season. You can have copies made for a price (or at least you used to be able to). I have the SMU game from that year (a 6-2 win), Tulane, and a few others.

It's also sad because the play at 20:00 is the old Hideout Play that scored our first points of the game. Wish it were more obvious what it was!
Rongagin71
AG
Those were some tough looking bulls,
and I do mean the officers, not the sips.
Ag_from_birth
AG
Great video. One of the stars of that game was John Kimbrough. He was an all American, and he scored the winning touchdown versus Tulane in the sugar bowl to win the national championship. I had the privilege to meet him. I was on an elevator with him at the 1986 Cotton Bowl festivities and I recognized his name tag. An Aggie football legend
Earl_Rudder
AG
Thank you for providing this for the preservation of all Aggie accomplishments!

WHOOP!
COSC96
Thanks for posting!!!
ghollow
AG
Very cool!!!
My grandfather and grandmother were there.

Thanks for posting
60Cal
AG
Howdy Ed! Great find. I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind.

My entire family are Aggies, except my grandfather. He received a scholarship outa Amarillo High to t.u. and played Q2 from 39-41. His son, my father, was HDM in '66 (me '99 - not HDM), not to mention virtually all other family members. Needless to say, we rarely watched a Turkey Day game with John Gill, number 41. Someone was going to lose, and there was often enough Jack Daniels flowing to make such a gathering untenable. (;

Ata ny rate Ed, would you please email me at your convenience. I'd like to ask you how I might be able to acquire any or all copies of the t.u. games during his playing days.
jaarongill@hotmail.com

Thanks again Ed. What a treat for all of us on TexAgs!

J. Aaron Gill
'99

60Cal
AG
Guess that was 1 question...
Tater Salad
Does anyone know if that was Marion Pugh throwing those (mostly) accurate passes for the Ags?
war hymn aggie
AG
Tater,

I'm sure that this is him, tho his jersey # is hard to decipher.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Air Raid Ags!
TexCalTex
"TEXAS AGGIES"
wisdom
AG
Great video. I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for posting it.
CORRECTION:
Quote -------> Notes: Aggies kicked butt. Final score was 20-0. WHOOP!! Ags went on to win our one & only natty in football after beating Tulane in the Sugar Bowl on January 1, 1940.
Back then, and even as late as the 1960s or 70s (not sure when it changed) the National Champions were voted on by the wire services at the end of the regular season and the bowl games were not considered. The Aggies were already National Champs after beating the sips and could have lost the Sugar Bowl and still be recognized as the 1939 National Champs.
EDIT: From Wikipedia:
Until the 1968 college football season, the final AP Poll of the season was released following the end of the regular season . . .
NoseBleed
Great video !
SpiderM85
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
twogoatsfn
DogCompany74
AG
How tall was Jarrin' John Kimbrough?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Barnyard96
AG
black and white sip tears.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.