Story Poster
Photo by Rey Romo, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Jhamon Ausbon's business decision: why he's back for one last year at A&M

February 3, 2020

Except for his athletic physique, his probable future in the National Football League and his place on Texas A&M’s career receiving lists, Jhamon Ausbon is just like you.

Ausbon, A&M’s senior-to-be receiver, wants to be financially successful. He’s working toward his college education to attain that success. He's eagerly looking forward to getting his Aggie ring in April.

And, like you, he wants his college football team to win championships. That’s primarily why he’s still attending Texas A&M.

Last season, Ausbon caught more passes (66) for more yardage (872) than any A&M receiver. Yet, it was he opting to return for his senior season while Quartney Davis and Kendrick Rogers declared for the NFL draft.

“The biggest thing I can do is win. I never want to end on a bad note at anything. So I think (returning was) a no-brainer in that aspect of it.”
- A&M senior WR Jhamon Ausbon

A big reason why Ausbon came back to A&M was to enhance his 2021 draft status. A bigger reason, he said, is to try to win a championship.

“The biggest thing I can do is win,” Ausbon said in an interview at the Bright Complex earlier this week. “I never want to end on a bad note at anything. So I think (returning was) a no-brainer in that aspect of it.

“Coming back and having this opportunity for my senior year to finish it out, having a big senior class, we have an advantage in the SEC. I want to take advantage of that and use it well.”

You know how you pore over rosters, schedules, recruiting class rankings and NFL draft early-entry lists to project how successful the Aggies could be?

Well, Ausbon admitted he does that, too. He’s very aware A&M returns eight offensive starters, nine defensive starters and faces a less challenging schedule in 2020.

“I think we have enough seniors,” he said. “I came in with all these guys. We’ve seen all we can see. This is our last year. The energy in here is a little different. I think people are tired of not getting the job done.

“We want to do so much for this university. This opportunity, having this schedule, us being all seniors and have (played together) three years in a row, we have a bigger and better chance of doing it big.”

Ausbon has done his part. He wants to do even more. He catches 200 passes from the jugs machine every day. Then, he works with Kellen Mond.

Ausbon is working on routes. He’s working on weights. He’s working on getting quicker. He’s doing all this so he can work over defensive backs.

Last season, Ausbon led A&M with six receptions that covered at least 30 yards. He aims to raise that total by catching more deep passes and/or turning short passes into big gains.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs
Even before spring practice begins, Ausbon is already working on his craft - preparing for the 2020 season.

“I think I can do it,” he said. “I think it’s just a matter of getting better at it and practicing at it. I don’t want to leave college knowing I could have gotten better at something and using that last year to benefit me.”

That’s another reason he returned. Ausbon will complete his degree in business next year. Returning for the 2020 season was a business decision.

He has the self-awareness to know he’s not the blazing speedster that NFL teams draft in the first round. But he also knows a lot of receivers learn to use intelligence and nuances to have long NFL careers.

Ausbon compares his style of play to Minnesota Vikings receiver Adam Thielen, a two-time Pro Bowl selection who has accumulated more than 4,300 receiving yards and 25 touchdowns in six seasons.

“He’s not as big as me, but we play the same,” Ausbon said of Thielen. “He has consistent, strong hands and knows how to use his body to get open. He’s a very smart player.

“Even though he’s not the fastest guy in the world, not the strongest or jumps the highest, he gets open, and he makes plays. That shows technique and understanding of the game. It’s the epitome of how far technique can take you.”

His technique and skills figure to take Ausbon far. But he saw no need to rush the journey. He pointed out that former A&M stars Johnny Manziel, Trayveon Williams and Christian Kirk advised him to stay in school.

“We’ve had conversations,” Ausbon said. “All I heard was don’t rush the experience. They wish they could have it back.”

In truth, he really didn’t need the advice. Ausbon said there’s one simple reason he’s in no rush to leave A&M.

“I love it too much,” he said.

Discussion from...

Jhamon Ausbon's business decision: why he's back for one last year at A&M

29,034 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excited that he's coming back! Let's go!!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Glad to have him back b/c he probably goes undrafted in 2020. Hoping he plays himself into the big money.
dolch
AG
I hope that we can get more fine young gentleman to take this approach moving forward.
It is good for their futures, and its good for us football fans.

exitg
ccatag
AG
Sound reasoning smart man. Great to have him leading the Aggies one more year. He's going to have a great year and his best year. Gig'em!
GSPag`
His offseason devotion reminds me of T-Murph. And his Sr leadership and guidance cannot be measured on how important it will be to our stud WRs coming in this year. He is going to do well after football ends.
gocobra
Slamn Sharpe
I saw him one night after a game in a restaurant. I immediately recognized his face but his build threw me off. I kept thinking "which one is he... he looks like a young TE" Dude looks much bigger in person than he does on t.v
Matsui
TopoTacos
AG
It definitely makes sense for him to come back another season, he could very well play himself into a draft pick with a strong senior campaign.

That he's getting his degree and his ring in what could be a special year is icing on the cake.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Love Ausbon, he is an Ag's Ag. Here's to a great 2020 Jhamon!
Mr. Black
Excellent decision, Jhamon! Gig 'em!
Sefton
Whether it's football or anything else he wants to do, he'll succeed.
You can tell by his talk and actions that he's got his head screwed on right.
AGHouston11
AG
That's awesome!!!
LEJ
Like the hustle. Hustlers always become winners at some point.
Cojack
I've enjoyed watching Ausbon play, he's a very intelligent and skilled player, truly an asset to this team. Well spoken and versed in the game, let's go Aggies!
Lateralus Ag
AG
Good luck to him.
Jon Cocktosin
AG
Awesome young man. Nice to see him thinking long term... beyond whatever football offers him.
Houstonag
AG
A good Aggie, Nice to hear about the importance of education, the Aggie ring, and loyalty. He will be very successful.
dtsaggie
AG
""I love it too much," he said."

Nuff said.
J Michael Cunningham '72
TheWoodsAg
AG
These are the kind of guys you want in your program teaching Wright, Demas, Muhamad, Price,
mjhhawk
Love his reasoning and attitude. Here's to his success now and in the future!
BQ-ESQ99
AG
Jugs machine...

I shake my head knowing that sometimes I think like a 14 year old kid.
fav13andac1)c
AG
ttt because irony
GarryowenAg
AG
This article didn't age well.
AgsMnn
AG
Curious on his decision now. If we somehow make the playoffs, icing on the cake.
SEC Champs
AG
Bad decision. Same with Davis and Rogers.
ghowe
AG
Sure would be interesting to get his unvarnished reasoning. Because from where i sit cant' make any sense of it.
TopRowKyleField
Who was that linebacker who also opted out? I've forgotten his name.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
TopRowKyleField said:

Who was that linebacker who also opted out? I've forgotten his name.

Hines.
Divining Rod
I saw this article and thought it was from today. i was like WTH????? We coulda used you last week.
Z Team
AG
I think this article shows how Mond's decision to "lead" the charge against Sully's reputation and create conflict with the alumni sowered JA on playing for A&M. It took something significant to shift him away from everything in that article. Listening to his roommate made him not want to play for A&M. I think it simply reflects some of the ripple effects of Mond's leadership this summer.
Divining Rod
thats an interesting point. speculation, but possibly exactly on point. one wonders what makes one go from point A to point Z in such a short time?

If Mond had that much effect, why would he not play when Mond does play?
Shooz in Katy
AG
Z Team said:

I think this article shows how Mond's decision to "lead" the charge against Sully's reputation and create conflict with the alumni sowered JA on playing for A&M. It took something significant to shift him away from everything in that article. Listening to his roommate made him not want to play for A&M. I think it simply reflects some of the ripple effects of Mond's leadership this summer.

Like, turned Ausbon into a female pig?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.