Story Poster
Photo by Lia Musgrave, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Justin Madubuike declares for NFL draft, won't play in Texas Bowl

December 12, 2019

Texas A&M junior defensive tackle Justin Madubuike has opted to forego his senior season and declare for the NFL draft. He also has indicated he will sit out the Texas Bowl matchup between the Aggies and Oklahoma State on December 27.

Madubuike made the announcement on Thursday via Instagram and Twitter.

In his post he wrote: “After speaking with my family, praying and thinking about the next step I have decided to forego my senior season and I will be declaring for the 2020 NFL Draft. I will not be playing in the bowl game this year. I am excited to be one step closer to turning my childhood dream into reality.”

Madubuike was named to the Associated Press All-SEC second team defense after posting 45 tackles, 5.5 sacks, seven quarterback pressures and 11.5 tackles for loss.

He arrived at A&M as a four-star defensive end recruit out of McKinney North High School in 2016. He literally outgrew the defensive end position as he developed into a 6-foot-3, 304 pounder, but he retained quickness and agility.

After a redshirt season, Madubuike made 20 tackles, forced a fumble and blocked a kick while in a backup role in 2017.

He enjoyed a breakout year in 2018 in which he posted 40 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss.

Madubuike completes his A&M career with 105 tackles, 11 sacks and 24 tackles for loss.

His departure will leave a hole in the middle of the A&M defensive line that figures to be filled by junior Jayden Peevy.

The 6-foot-6, 290-pound Peevy has registered 32 tackles, 2 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss in a backup role this season. He also has broken up a pass and blocked a kick.

Discussion from...

Justin Madubuike declares for NFL draft, won't play in Texas Bowl

14,283 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AustinAg84
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get your degree Justin. You'll always feel a great sense of accomplishment and it's the ultimate form of gratitude to your fellow current and former students.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
No problem with declaring.

Not just Madu but any player, dislike them not playing in the bowl game. Why not just quit on your team in Oct. and not play the Nov. games?

Sign of the times I guess and Madu is one of many that won't play in bowl games. It's bad bull all the way around IMHO. Understand their rationale, as they see it....

Best of luck to Madu, GREAT player and a great Aggie.
HossAg
AG
Why does he owe any current, former, or future student gratitude, and why would getting a degree accomplish that? He's going to go represent us in the NFL. That'll do more than getting a degree that he'll never use will do.
AggieBlu
AG
greg.w.h said:

Get your degree Justin. You'll always feel a great sense of accomplishment and it's the ultimate form of gratitude to your fellow current and former students.
He is a 4 year junior likely to graduate in December or walk in May. He's good either way.

I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Jarrin' Jay
AG
He doesn't owe any current, former, or future student or fan gratitude or anything else.

But IMHO he owes it to his teammates to play in the bowl game.... old school mentality I guess and there are many skipping the bowl games now.

I don't like it... insert old man yelling at cloud here.
greg.w.h
AG
HossAg said:

Why does he owe any current, former, or future student gratitude, and why would getting a degree accomplish that? He's going to go represent us in the NFL. That'll do more than getting a degree that he'll never use will do.
I didn't say he owes anything. You need to learn to read.
Slyfox07
AG
Myles Garrett played in the bowl game.

I understand if he wants to go to the draft, but bailing on your team is poor form
SEC Champs
AG
Mid 2nd round at best
Sponge
AG
HossAg said:

Our tuition paid for his.
HossAg
AG
You should be mad at the system then. I'm sure he'd love to not have to go to school just to have a path to the NFL. Not his fault and not his problem.
texasaggie84
AG
Bad bull all the way. Quitting on team and teammates. Von has class and played.
SECTAMU#1
I think this will be a trend you will see increase with players, especially in lesser bowls.
John Francis Donaghy
Jarrin' Jay said:

He doesn't owe any current, former, or future student or fan gratitude or anything else.

But IMHO he owes it to his teammates to play in the bowl game.... old school mentality I guess and there are many skipping the bowl games now.

A guy with no future in the sport owes it to his teammates to play.

A guy whose extremely lucrative career depends on not getting injured pre-draft in a meaningless exhibition game owes his family a smart decision for their future livelihood.
aeon-ag
HossAg said:

BS!!!!! He owes his team mates to stay and play as a team player, he is turning his back on them! He doesn't represent anyone but himself and certainly not Texas A&M. I hope he gets drafted by Cleveland.
HossAg
AG
Says the guy with no ag tag. Honestly GFY if you're gonna try and claim he doesn't represent A&M for this. He's done more for the school than you ever will.
vander54
S
Jarrin' Jay said:

That is between him and his teammates. What if they want hin to do this?
gocobra
AG
vander54 said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

That is between him and his teammates. What if they want hin to do this?
Oh sure.... "hey Justin. You are our best D player but we don't want you to play in the bowl game with us. We got this. It's not big deal. Winning the bowl game means NOTHING to this program. Go enjoy the holidays, bro."
laruejd
AG
I'm an Aggie. I no longer know him. You don't desert your team at this point in a season. If you fail in the knealing league, don't come back to us.
laruejd
AG
HossAg is full of ***** It is not about me or an other Ag, it is about his team.
AggieBlu
AG
laruejd said:

I'm an Aggie. I no longer know him. You don't desert your team at this point in a season. If you fail in the knealing league, don't come back to us.
LOL. You coming straight out of a comic book!!!!!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
HossAg
AG
laruejd said:

You're a garbage Aggie then.
northeastag
AG
Good luck to him. I hope he does more than ride the bench or get placed on IR, which is what most of last years early declares ending up doing. It's a tough league.

On the bright side for us, we may just be able to continue our long string of "we're young!" excuses next year.
Prior22
AG
Some of y'all are seriously out of touch. Just be happy for Justin and quit bringing politics ("kneeling league") and the usual bs into the comments. Jaylon Smith is a cautionary tale of what can happen to your draft stock if you play in a meaningless bowl game (and get injured), which is exactly what the Texas Bowl is.

I don't blame him for skipping out and preparing for the draft. Do you and support your family. Who cares what a bunch of trolls on a message board are spewing.
Rydyn
AG
I can see both sides of this. I'm sure it was a tough decision for him. He's worked his whole life for this goal and took chances with his body every week on the field. If he's getting the draft grades he wants then, he's made it to his goal. One more game could end all of that in a moment.

On the other hand, what's to keep the best players from cutting out starting in October? What's to keep them from making play by play decisions on the field to avoid putting themselves in danger? That would kill college football.

For those that have proven themselves, the universities should pay for an insurance big enough to compensate for their lost NFL career. If that policy is too expensive, then that really just says that these players are making the right decision.
sharpdressedman
As this trend grows, many bowl games will become less interesting and less significant than they are presently.

The stat summaries for the games should add another category: "Elite players who opted out of the game." to better describe what happened.
AustinAg84
AG
Wish you the best. We'll miss watching you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.