Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Players Sitting Out Bowl Games

11,151 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Lateralus Ag
RGallagher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has an A&M player ever sat out a bowl game?
Czechs Out 03
AG
Considering our bowl winning percentage over history, you could say several have, whether they were in uniform or not.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Looks like players sitting out the bowls that don't mean anything is becoming more and more the new normal.

As long as it is only bowls that don't mean anything, is a non issue in my opinion. Isn't affecting the health of the college game whatsoever, and the NFL teams clearly don't knock a kid for skipping a bowl game. That isn't going to affect their draft stock.

Now if players ever start sitting out playoff games to prepare for draft and avoid risk of getting hurt, that would of course be an entirely different matter.
Matsui
AG
Not sure don't care
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Do Kyle Allen & Kyler Murray count? They did in the same year
HossAg
AG
I don't see what the issue is here other than a bunch of selfish old ****s here want him to risk injury in a completely meaningless game a few months before he is set to accomplish his life goal. All for a slightly better defensive performance against ****in Okie state, who has their best two offensive players missing the game.
ontheway
AG
Not cute Czechs
ontheway
ontheway
AG
Hustle'n for NFL pumpkin? I think it is selfish for kids to abandon their teammates. But pretty normal for attitudes today.
ontheway
RGallagher
I'm not talking about players that left the program (Murray, Allen) or injured players. I know it happens at other programs but I can think of a single Aggie that's sat out before.
Off_The_Wood
AG
RGallagher said:

I'm not talking about players that left the program (Murray, Allen) or injured players. I know it happens at other programs but I can think of a single Aggie that's sat out before.

High draft pick players (especially Juniors) in conjunction with bowl eligible A&M squads is a relatively new phenomenon for us I think
Houstonag
AG
If they are worried about injury then sit out the last part of the entire last year. Our player could have just played possum for the LSU game. More likely to get hurt there as opposed to a bowl game with OSU.
aftershock
I think Madubuike is going to the first one that is skipping and declaring for the draft.
Barnyard96
AG
Don't know about the players but several Texags users have.
vander54
S
barnyard1996 said:

Don't know about the players but several Texags users have.

If only they would skip the season as well. It would be much easier to have a real football discussion on this board
World's worst proofreader
Pumpkinhead
AG
ontheway said:

Hustle'n for NFL pumpkin? I think it is selfish for kids to abandon their teammates. But pretty normal for attitudes today.
I doubt their teammates care and would do the same thing if in similar shoes. Remember that the primary goal of most of these kids is to go pro and make a money and support their families.

In terms of being a fan, whether this affects us or not, I think overall it will probably even out. We benefited last year from a couple of NC State guys sitting out the bowl.

Also, when a sports fan calls a player 'selfish' in cases like this, I can't help but think of the irony because as sports fans we are all generally incredibly selfish by nature. All we care about as fans is that our best players stay for as long as possible so that they can help our favorite team as long as possible. Our priority is typically a very self-centered 'what's best for A&M to win football games', and anything that works against that priority we tend to criticize.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

selfish old ****s here want him to risk injury in a completely meaningless game a few months before he is set to accomplish his life goal.

Another big bowl win would validate that we really are better than our record indicates. We would finish raked and finally get some positive press. It could take future recruiting up a notch.

Madabuike is probably a second round grade. A dominant bowl performance could move him up. Okie Lite's OL would be the perfect punching bag.

IF he has a lingering injury, then I respect the decision.

HossAg
AG
We're winning this game with or without him. Have none of you paid attention to the fact that Okie state's QB and RB aren't playing? He's worked his entire life to get to this moment, and this bowl game doesn't matter. Anyone criticizing him is being selfish and hypocritical.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I suspect there have been multiple A&M players with draft projections in previous years who could have played in a bowl game but were held out for 'injury'. We've certainly seen several Aggie players not be available to play in previous bowl games.

If something like this actually riles folks up on message boards, maybe it would just be better if they say so-and-so will sit out the bowl game due to some injury and that will make the message board feel better.
Scotty Appleton
Where are you seeing 2nd round? Mock drafts have him in the 4th/5th.
JoeAggie5
It's the texas bowl. I'm okay with a player sitting out for that.
Bucketrunner
I'm totally good with it so long as he isn't on the sidelines. I respect his decision, but he's no longer part of the team.
Aggie
AG
It's something that is widely accepted now.
Years ago nobody did this , Players would play the bowl game.

I'm completely torn on the issue but seeing how widely it's accepted and the me me me attitide imof younger generations... guaranteed in near future you will see prospects sitting out half their senior season to avoid injury.
Once their team loses a few games they will sit rest year.

That's what's next
Doc Hayworth
HossAg said:

We're winning this game with or without him. Have none of you paid attention to the fact that Okie state's QB and RB aren't playing? He's worked his entire life to get to this moment, and this bowl game doesn't matter. Anyone criticizing him is being selfish and hypocritical.

Gundy is saying Hubbard is expected to play and their QB is highly possible.
monarch
S
If only they would skip the season as well. It would be much easier to have a real football discussion on this board

Well, explain to me how we are going to plug that gaping hole that just appeared in the middle of our defense. The things that get discussed on this board center around the team. I'm all for JMad doing what is best for him, but doing what he is going to do has presented his former teammates with an issue that needs to be solved.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This is what will bring about a larger playoff. If 1/4th of your season is already cupcakes, and then the only teams actually trying in bowl games are in the playoffs, then eventually people will demand the bowl games to actually mean something.
ArcheryAg
Mr.Bond
AG
Genuinely our season was completely over after Bama loss...... Why not just sit out the rest of the season at that point?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Agtrack
I think if the leave after their junior year and they DO get a contract in the NFL, they should have to pay their scholarship back. I understand avoiding injury and draft value but they don't worry to much about it when they are being trained, fed and taken care of by the school to help them get the big contract.
TheWalkOn
AG
I thought Armani sat out the Belk bowl a couple of years ago? Or was he injured?
Turf96
Hossag is so full of crap. Stating a kid should honor his commitment to his school is not being a selfish fan. If you sign a contract you honor it. Do you really believe if he got hurt in a bowl game that he would be out of streets in 5 years all alone? No some Ag gives him a job and takes care of him. Most likely a good job many would love to have. Am I mad at him? no I just think he didn't honor his commitment to his team, coaches, or school. As far as fans who cares they will pay to watch or not. As for the other three, I think being mature enough to understand it isn't about you, is a pretty big life experience. As far as I see it he may have money but may not be mature enough to handle it. Time will tell.
TheWalkOn
AG
Lots of rooks without AgTags going off on a 21 Year Old's life decision.

Zoo at its best
HossAg
AG
He didn't sign a contract. He's never obligated to play. Until college isn't a mandatory path to the NFL draft, I will never have sympathy for people claiming he has a commitment to his team in a meaningless game like this. He put in the time in the regular season. Didn't get paid a dime other than the "free education" that players like him don't need or give a damn about.

He's forced to play in college to make it to the pro level, and he's worked his entire life to get to this point. This is like saying that a student that can opt out of the final and get an A should still take the final because they "owe it to their teachers and the school". The student put in the work, did their job, and now it's time to reap the benefits.

Good luck to Justin, and don't listen to idiots like Turf96 that say you're letting your team down. If his team supports his decision, then that's enough. He entertained hundreds of thousands of Aggies for free and he put it all out there for his team for 3 seasons. He's done enough.
dixichkn
AG
Myles rolled the dice by doing so, and I have much respect for him wanting to rep the school in his final bowl game. He was already being projected as a #1 overall so he had nothing personally to gain from playing.....

that said, once it's MY decision then I'll have an opinion on it. I refuse to throw stones at the kid for making what he thinks is the best decision for him He could've just as easily gone to the sips and tanked his pro prospects there instead of sharpening himself against the best. I thank #52 for 3 years of damn great play at A&M
yeshellyes
AG
Truth.
Turf96
So what is the signing day for? Just another attention ***** ceremony? He signed on to play so play. If he doesn't he broke his deal end of story.

Your attitude about the free education an athlete receives shows how ignorant and selfish you really are. We have a whole political party wanting to forgive trillions in debt due to people trying to get what he could get for free. But yes go ahead and discount its value as it isn't that big of a deal to you.

Do you really believe he cares what you or I say? Talk about self absorbed. Don't think he cares what i think, and pretty sure he doesn't feel more secure about his choice because you gave him a pass. Carry on talking like you are his friend.

Keep it up as we wouldn't expect some to understand what a mans word means. Glad I don't have to do business with you as you clearly don't believe a mans word or signature mean much of anything.

For the record I hope he has a great pro career. I do appreciate what he did here and how he played. I hope he has a wonderful family and a long prosperous life. Still don't agree with him backing out of a deal when his future even if injured is probably better than most anybodies on this site.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.