Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Good writeup on Sumlin's 2 years following TAMU and his learnings

7,314 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Foxo
cuppycups_cup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/12/11/arizona-wildcats-football-kevin-sumlin/

--

"Just 2.2 miles away from Arizona Stadium sits Salpointe Catholic High School, where Sumlin's son Jackson is a senior and the football team reached the Open Division semifinals. A recent story from Ari Wasserman of The Athletic wondered why Arizona did not push harder for three "blue-chip" recruits 4-star or 5-star rated players at Salpointe Catholic.

Jack Cooper is the sports editor of The Daily Wildcat, the school's student newspaper, as well as a lifelong Tucson native. Cooper said it was "frustrating" to watch all three top prospects from a school so close to campus leave, and feels it's part of a bigger trend for the current coaching staff.

"It seems like Sumlin gets a lot of recruits from Texas and California, and those are obviously two of the biggest college football recruiting places, especially with his ties in Texas," Cooper said. "But you can't forget about your own state and Arizona, and especially with Phoenix becoming one of the [hotbeds]."

--

"Everybody is going to have their own expectations of what we can do. My job is to win every game and be competitive in every game and let the chips fall where they may," Sumlin said when asked what were realistic expectations for 2018. "If we're good enough, we're good enough. Try to get better every year, that was a question people asked me at the end at A&M. We never had a losing season in probably the most difficult division in college football in the country. If you've improved the program from where you got it to where it is whenever you walk away from it, then you've been successful."

--

"Interest and turnout also waned in anecdotal senses, too. There was around 15-18 fans at Sumlin's final weekly radio show at Playground in downtown Tucson, with one attendee describing the crowd there as "just the usuals" save for this reporter.'

All the positivity around his arrival and expectations for instant success has painted the coach and the program into a particularly tight corner after two underwhelming seasons. And while some, like Cooper, believe Sumlin should be given the chance to "get his guys in" and recruit the players he wants, there will need to be improvement in 2020 to get people back on board.

"If this was Arizona basketball, that's a completely different subject," Cooper said. "But this is Arizona football. People aren't always expecting 10-win, 11-win seasons. Maybe they might expect 4 wins or 5 wins, like we've had the last two years, but if he doesn't get to a bowl game next year, then his seat gets a lot hotter."
TheWalkOn
AG
He got Allen and Kirk from there...

Now that he coaches there, he doesnt want to recruit there? I assumed that was a big reason for Arizona's interest in him
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah, how'd that work out?
Agsuffering@bulaw
That writer lacks the nads to just come out and say it.
TheWalkOn
AG
We are talking recruiting. Allen is still one of the highest rated recruits that put pen to paper on an A&M LOI. The quotes above don't sound like Sumlin saying "WTF? I recruited here before; why cant I now?" to Arizona coaches. It sounds like the opposite.

If Sumlin is assuming bridges are burnt because Allen didn't work out, don't you think Arizona would have asked him about that before paying him?
Humorous Username
AG
Sumlin seems like the type of guy to do the opposite of what everyone tells him to do.

Doesn't seem to be working out for him in the wins department, but I wish his agent was my agent.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

If Sumlin is assuming bridges are burnt because Allen didn't work out, don't you think Arizona would have asked him about that before paying him?

The admins at AZ are amatuers. They struck at Rich Rod while the iron was hot, rather than thinking it through. They initially thought they were firing Rich Rod for cause. They didnt consider that Rich Rod knew where all the skeletons were buried. So, after the decision, Rich Rod threatened a lawsuit. Their lawyers advised to pay him the money.

The president is a surgeon, no connections to the school, who was previously the head of some medical school. The president inherited Rich Rod and inherited an AD who did not hire Rich Rod. It's AD's first P5 AD job.

They waited to fire Rich Rod in early January. All the good coaching options were gone. Sumlin looked good enough on paper. He gave the alums hope that they could keep making bowls. Sumlin was also willing to take a backloaded deal.

If they were more tactical, they would have known about the dirt and fired Rich Rod at the beginning of hiring season. Or, they could have just appointed an interim, sucked it up for a year, and hired somebody good the next hiring season.

So, no Virginia, I highly doubt the higher ups really thought through details like whether the local HS coaches would work with Sumlin. They are politicians, not leaders.
W
AG
that is very well stated.

Sumlin was basically a desperation hire by the AZ administration after hanging onto Rich Rod into January
Jarrin' Jay
AG
"....If you've improved the program from where you got it to where it is whenever you walk away from it, then you've been successful."

Interesting he would say this given that he didn't actually do that at A&M, he inherited a Top 10 talent team, and left a Top 40 talent team....

halfastros81
AG
The buyout provisions Az signed with Sumli n proved their desparation. He's a decent Group of 5 level coach playing in A P5 world.
PneumAg
TheWalkOn said:

He got Allen and Kirk from there...

Now that he coaches there, he doesnt want to recruit there? I assumed that was a big reason for Arizona's interest in him

By and large, players like Kyle Allen and Christian Kirk don't go to programs like Arizona. I'm sure Sumlin would have loved to land those "blue chip" recruits mentioned in the article, but he coaches at Arizona. I'm sure they didn't give him the time of day. Arizona should have considered these things about itself before hiring Sumlin.

Also, Sumlin is lazy and a bad coach. So there's that.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

"....If you've improved the program from where you got it to where it is whenever you walk away from it, then you've been successful."

Interesting he would say this given that he didn't actually do that at A&M, he inherited a Top 10 talent team, and left a Top 40 talent team....

I would say, yes and no. He inherited a team with much better high end talent but very little else on that roster. He left the team without a whole lot of truly high end talent but top to bottom was more talented overall.
The biggest area where he left it worse is obviously Oline.
InfantryAg
AG
Has Arizona provided him with the tools he needs. Like a swag-copter and pimp stick???
Humorous Username
AG
InfantryAg said:

Has Arizona provided him with the tools he needs. Like a swag-copter and pimp stick???

They have a lower budget. They got him a dune buggy and a once-a-week Sonoran hot dog.
Sbisa Chef
PneumAg said:

Consider the millions we paid him. He doesn't "need" to work.
cuppycups_cup
Sbisa Chef said:

PneumAg said:

I'm still mad about the million dollar check I wrote the Foundation for the extension.
TheWalkOn
AG
I would agree with what you're saying...

I guess my question pertains to the article. Why would the coach bring into question Sumlin's lack of effort/ interest if everyone knows the players aren't interested?
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

He inherited a team with much better high end talent but very little else on that roster. He left the team without a whole lot of truly high end talent but top to bottom was more talented overall.

How much was the SEC?
How much of that was JFF?

Sumlin recruited fine his first few years here. Once JFF left, it fell off. He cant recruit crap at AZ.
NyAggie
AG
Who was the assistants on his A&M staff that recruited Allen and Kirk?

Sumlin doesn't have those assistants at Arizona

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
NyAggie said:

Who was the assistants on his A&M staff that recruited Allen and Kirk?

Sumlin doesn't have those assistants at Arizona

Correct he doesnt have JFF
Sbisa Chef
cuppycups_cup said:

Sbisa Chef said:

PneumAg said:

I'm still mad about the million dollar check I wrote the Foundation for the extension.
You should consider another "donation/gift" to bring in Dante Scarnecchia from the Patriots. Look at his numbers - WAY FAR above the number 2 guy:

Foxo
AG
Clemson has zero pledges from South Carolina. OU has 1 pledge from Oklahoma. So, Arizona's recruiting is not all that unusual.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.