Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Houston Area - Texas Bowl Experts

9,896 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jock 07
C2 Ag 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoupNazi2001 said:

Educate me, I have never been. Where is the best place to get tickets. I anticipate a lot of empty seats and might go. Is it best to buy on Ticketmaster before hand or wait until closer to the game to get tickets. What fun Christmas things are there to do in Houston if I bring the wife and kids? Good hotels to stay at nearby maybe with an indoor pool for the kiddo?
I've been. It's a good bowl. Houston doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Not knowing your kids ages, what you like doing specifically, etc., some random thoughts -

1 - Galaxy Lights at Space Center Houston. It's the first year they're doing it, and I've been volunteering there. Good for a 2 hour visit. It runs through first week of Jan.

2 - Zoo Lights at the Zoo. That's been going longer, but I am a NASA geek and prefer Galaxy Lights. Double check the zoo's website to be sure it's running.

3 - I personally HATE shopping, but some do. Galleria / Uptown area for that, but fair warning. They're rebuilding the 610 / 59 interchange. You can get there fine if you stay off 610. If your hotel will be Uptown, no problem. If hotel downtown, also no problem (just travel down Westheimer to Uptown). There's an ice skating rink there, and lights up and down the streets, so festive. May be good to visit since it will be AFTER the shopping crush.

4 - I assume when you say kids, they're too young to want to bring to fine dining, so I'll refrain from suggesting nicer places to eat. But Houston is a big melting pot, it's restaurant scene doesn't get enough credit. Wide range of adventure... Persian, Mediterranean, Cajun, Vietnamese, Steakhouses, etc. I know it chained out from Houston, but Lupe Tortillas on 59 may be a good choice. Has a playground if your kids are small and easy distance to Reliant.

Another tip if you wanted to stay Downtown is the train runs from Downtown to Reliant. But if you have kids, probably not the best option (more of a bar scene). However, the train runs through the Medical Center, were the zoo is. The Zoo is a little bit of a walk from the train, but depending on weather, it would be nice as there's a park between the train and the Zoo and museums all around. Natural History and Art museums.
C2 Ag 93
PS - I just saw another poster's response about checking out NASA. I concur. But keep in mind not all the Exhibits will be open during Galaxy Lights (at night). So if your kids are really into space and want to take the Tram Tour to Mission Control and the Astronaut Training Facility, you'll have to go during the day and hang around until evening (Galaxy Lights start at 6 pm).

If you are NASA / space history fans, I highly recommend going to see the restored historic Apollo 11 Mission Control room. It was restored for the 50th Anniversary to the day it looked the day we landed on the Moon and is now a National Historic Landmark.

That may pose problems in planning your day though. When you arrive at Space Center, you need to get a "timed ticket" to see the Apollo 11 control room. It comes with admission, but since there has been high demand, you have to get a reserved time. Perhaps drive down there by around 10 / 11 AM, get your timed ticket for late afternoon, see the exhibits or do the Astronaut training facility tram tour, catch the Apollo 11 tour, then leave around 4 to grab dinner at Kemah Boardwalk. Come back to NASA at 6 or 7 pm for Galaxy Lights then head back to hotel in Houston.
KatyAg88
Buy the cheap tickets. There will be plenty of empty seats and they make people move down to the bottom level and fill in seats.So you get better seats for the lower price.
Whatthefunyo
I am going to wait until the day before the game to buy tickets. I overpaid BIG TIME for Mumford and Sons tickets at the Toyota Center by buying early. Tickets got down to like $7 the day of. Me thinks that the day prior or day of, can't beat those prices. I am sure attendance will be decent, but it's a crappy bowl so it won't be a filled stadium...especially one as big as NRG.
TXAG 05
AG
I love how people on here act like we are playing in the Idaho potato bowl or something. There is nothing wrong with the Texas Bowl. Do you want to support your team or not?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I love how people on here act like we are playing in the Idaho potato bowl or something. There is nothing wrong with the Texas Bowl. Do you want to support your team or not?

It's a lower tier bowl in a city with lots of traffic and little tourist appeal vs a L10 opponent nobody cares about unless you have an uncle that went there

Whatthefunyo
I am going to this game because I live in Houston, but if I didn't, I would certainly enjoy it from the comforts of my own home for this quite literally worthless bowl. This game has about the same bearing and influence on the program as does the Maroon and White game.
aggieband 83
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

This game has about the same bearing and influence on the program as does the Maroon and White game.

It might might have bearing when it comes to recruiting. Besides it is a long wait until next season. Enjoy the game!
agent-maroon
AG
The extra team practice is the real value of this bowl IMO. And the money is nice. But all of that can be had if the game is watched on the broadcast.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Oryx
Houston is a great city. I'm really excited about this one.
94chem
Get a room on Main Street on Priceline. Ride the train to the stadium. You won't need a car. You can ride the train to the zoo and MFAH. Plenty of bars and restaurants on Main. Don't come to Houston to tour. I've lived here for 21 years. It's a good place to live and eat, but not to visit.
Frok
AG
This board goes on and on about how bad the Big 12 is. Now we get to play a team from that conference and everyone thinks the game is meaningless.

Don't you think it will be fun to beat the crap out of a Big 12 team?

Or is all the talk just talk?
LJF78
Frok said:

This board goes on and on about how bad the Big 12 is. Now we get to play a team from that conference and everyone thinks the game is meaningless.

Don't you think it will be fun to beat the crap out of a Big 12 team?

Or is all the talk just talk?

Their RB who was Big 12 offensive Player of year may not play.
Their top QB has been out last 2 games and will likely not play in Texas Bowl.
Their top defensive back is out

Beating up on a depleted team is not satisfying at all.
No matter what conference they come from
HTownAg
AG
Houston Zoo Lights are really cool, kids would have fun.
Galleria is all decorated for Christmas, ice skating and all.

NRG Stadiuim is really tiny compared to Kyle Field, Tiger Stadium, etc. but it is loud with roof closed.
Smudge
AG
Wait til the meth game day packages come out. For only a few extra bucks you get maroon meth and a defibrillator. Nosebleeds either way and who cares who wins.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
W
AG
you know the pizza four-pack is not a bad deal. Gets you inside the stadium for $25...and then go wherever from there
West Point Aggie
AG
Too bad we don't play the Alamo bowl...1) it's right here in SA and 2) SA is more fun... and 3) it's not Houston

Was offered a free ticket by a neighbor...I thanked him for the opportunity and thinking of me but politely passed...

BTHO the tea sip 10 servant
Let’s Go Brandon!
Barnyard96
AG
The Alamodome is a POS.

NRG is twice the stadium.
agent-maroon
AG
barnyard1996 said:

The Alamodome is a POS.

NRG is twice the stadium.

No doubt. But like West Point said, it's in Houston
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Oryx
Houston is a lot better than Puroville and that's coming from someone from the hill country.
Jock 07
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Too bad we don't play the Alamo bowl...1) it's right here in SA and 2) SA is more fun... and 3) it's not Houston

Was offered a free ticket by a neighbor...I thanked him for the opportunity and thinking of me but politely passed...

BTHO the tea sip 10 servant

The Alamodome is a **** hole
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.