Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arkansas hires Sam Pittman

18,089 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 10PennyNail
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who?
cevans_40
AG
Poor man's Bret Belima
TexasLeaguer
AG
Oh, Sam Pittman. Of course.
Blaser270
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-sam-pittman-reportedly-candidate-for-arkansas-head-coach-position/fugnVpioX6pEJv4cRZ7ZsM/

Georgia assistant HC. Offensive line coach and recruiter. Formerly at Arkansas.
. . .
Quote:

2012........................................................... Tennessee (Offensive Line)
2013-15......... Arkansas (Asst. HC, Offensive Line, Recruiting Coord.)
2016-2018....................................................... Georgia (Offensive Line)
2019................................................. Georgia (Associate HC / Off. Line)

unmade bed
Reminds me of our Mike Sherman hire....but even less exciting.
TAMUallen
AG
So excited for them!
NyAggie
AG
So they hired an oline coach as their head coach?

Has Pittman ever had any head coaching experience at this level?
A New Hope
If he hires good oc and dc, they could be good. Otherwise, meh.
DatTallArchitect
AG
NyAggie said:

He's never been a coordinator or head coach according to this article:
https://www.4029tv.com/article/sam-pittman-hired-arkansas-football-coach/30162460
Off_The_Wood
AG
I think he's considered to be a pretty good recruiter, but not sure how his X and O abilities are
rangerdanger
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

NyAggie said:

He's never been a coordinator or head coach according to this article:
https://www.4029tv.com/article/sam-pittman-hired-arkansas-football-coach/30162460

Actually he was a head coach at a community college back in the early 90's:

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Sam-Pittman-Arkansas-head-coach-Georgia-Bulldogs-140119998/

Just the kind of captain I would like navigating my 2 and 3 star recruits across choppy SEC West waters.
rootube
AG
Damn Arkansas. This feels like a terrible hire.

There are two approaches to hiring a coach:
1) Hire a young up and coming coach
2) Hire an experienced coach

Congratulations on missing both marks on probably the most important hire in the history of the program.
bigblock
Yay!!!
mgreen
Trying to duplicate the LSU miracle coaching model hiring a line coach
rootube
AG
mgreen said:

Trying to duplicate the LSU miracle coaching model hiring a line coach
At least Orgeron had some HC experience. He had to have learned at a minimum what not to do at Ole Miss.
Evanhue
AG
Smile.....
counter subconscious espionage
war hymn aggie
AG
no currently employed high-profile coach is/was gonna take that job after they fired Morris in less than 2 years after he had to totally revamp their offensive philosophy to fit his.

The hog program is a dumpster fire right now.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
So they can their coach mid season to get a leg up on the competition in the coaching search and this is what they come up with?!?

Wow! Torbush. Wow!

Aggiehawg, what does the hubs make of this?
sharpdressedman
Not the splash hire my Arky friends were anticipating.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Who?
90ags
No idea on this guy...wow. Coach O could always recruit as he's slick and dirty as owl chit.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
aTm2004
AG
This can't be real.
Leander - Ag
AG
What an absolute disaster
TAMU74
AG
war hymn aggie said:

no currently employed high-profile coach is/was gonna take that job after they fired Morris in less than 2 years after he had to totally revamp their offensive philosophy to fit his.

The hog program is a dumpster fire right now.
After 1975, I hope it burns forever.
Agsuffering@bulaw
This has disaster written all over it. A major program needs to hire either a major OC or a HC.

Hires like this just rarely pan out. OM hired Orgeron b/c O recruited well at USC. He didnt recruit as well at OM.

Before anyone says Dabo, he was made the interim midseason b/c the AD realized Dabo was more likely to keep the recruiting class together than either coordinator. They did not expect to remove the interim label. Then Dabo won a few he wasnt supposed to and they decided he earned his chance.

agz win
AG
Jerry's gonna need a few extra blue pills with this hire.
aggiehawg
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

So they can their coach mid season to get a leg up on the competition in the coaching search and this is what they come up with?!?

Wow! Torbush. Wow!

Aggiehawg, what does the hubs make of this?
Uhmm, well, he lurks here so I have some caution.

Making chicken salad out of chicken s***? He likes Pittman and thought Fat Bert should not have driven him and Enos off.

I love my husband. He's been in deep pain about his beloved Razorbacks for several consecutive years now. There comes a point where enough salt poured into a wound, heals it.

He ain't there yet.

Yesterday during the morning of championship weekend, I asked, "Mimosas?" He replied, "Don't we need to save the champagne?" Before I even thought about it I replied, "What for? Arkansas bowl game?"

He shook his head and said, "You are as cold as homemade ice cream."

I said, "Sorry but you brought up rock salt with the homemade ice cream reference. Cold, salt... both hurt."
jja79
AG
Clemson was 3-3 when Bowden resigned. Swinney went 4-3 so it wasn't really different. It worked out.
Bison
AG
aggiehawg said:

Yesterday during the morning of championship weekend, I asked, "Mimosas?" He replied, "Don't we need to save the champagne?" Before I even thought about it I replied, "What for? Arkansas bowl game?"

He shook his head and said, "You are as cold as homemade ice cream."

He'll need it to soothe that burn. AH is formidable.
LEJ
Arkansas... the Vanderbilt of the Ozarks.
hogfan14
Curious to see what style of offense he goes with. Guess it depends on who he hires as OC.

It's definitely an unorthodox hire and the majority of college football fans will laugh at it because they don't know who he is but he was one of the first names mentioned when we fired Morris, at least by former players. Our players loved him when he was here and if he never left for Georgia I think Bielema eventually works out at Arkansas. Best recruiter and OL coach in college football IMO. Definitely need to give him a lot of money for assistants since he has a lot of SEC connections. We obviously struck out on some guys but seeing what Coach O is doing with LSU and Dabo with Clemson probably thought we could do something similar I guess. All we need is someone to stabilize the program, not win the SEC or anything.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Possible Aggie Connection--I think Pittman may have been on Fran's staff at Pittsburg State in 1985.
ldg397
AG
I think this will end up being a good hire for them if they give him time. He is Probably the best o line coach in the country if you haven't heard of him that is more on you.

I admit I am biased he was my hs football coach so yeah I am old but he is great and everyone that ever played for him will tell you the same.
Wildman15
AG
ldg397 said:

I think this will end up being a good hire for them if they give him time. He is Probably the best o line coach in the country if you haven't heard of him that is more on you.

I admit I am biased he was my hs football coach so yeah I am old but he is great and everyone that ever played for him will tell you the same.
All of the sip players felt the same about Charlie Strong. He might be a great man but will he be a great HC? He's going to have to produce a 5-6 win season in the next two years if Arkansas has any hope at all of finding some sort of modern day relevance. For sure, he'll need to win at least 3 SEC games by the end of year two.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.