Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Just another Zach Evans update

38,826 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OaklandDoubleAg
maver1ck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like I've posted about 20 of these. There will probably be more. I'll try to keep posting updates as I see things come up on social media.

Zach Evans reportedly showed up to College Station today on an unofficial visit. Kind of unexpected as far as I know.

This one is going to come down to the wire between the good guys and swamp kittens, but we sure seem to have some momentum right now despite whatever the heck happened in Death Valley last weekend. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, especially if EJ Smith is just waiting until after playoffs to announce a committment to A&M. I wouldn't lose sleep getting either one of these guys, and there's no doubt about it: we're gonna get one of 'em.

EDIT: Zach Evans went live on Instagram earlier and was at the Bright complex. Let's hope he was filming a committment video

https://instagr.am/p/B50-snUl6-x
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I like both backs, but I have to think having a 4 star back Emmitt further connected with the school would have a greater boon on the program than having a 5 star. What do you guys think?
Jason C.
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I like both backs, but I have to think having a 4 star back Emmitt further connected with the school would have a greater boon on the program than having a 5 star. What do you guys think?

Nah.

Haha, kidding. I think we'd be incredibly lucky to have either young man decide to become an Aggie.
Unemployed
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Meh...I'd rather have the 5* player. As far as I know, Emmitt Smith can't suit up and play for the Ags even though his son is on the roster.
PyriteAg
AG
It's honestly amazing how one can pushing the recruiting momentum despite having a crushing loss to the recruiting rival. I know that nothing is 100% and anything can happen at this point, but the fact that Jimbo and co's able to at least keep it competitive to this point is shocking. I'd like to know the man's secrets.
Cy_Tolliver
I don't know what to make of this thread other than if we land speed at RB (which we desperately need) with our WR recruits we will kill it. Speed kills and we will have it.
MaroonStain
AG
Dario said:

It's honestly amazing how one can pushing the recruiting momentum despite having a crushing loss to the recruiting rival. I know that nothing is 100% and anything can happen at this point, but the fact that Jimbo and co's able to at least keep it competitive to this point is shocking. I'd like to know the man's secrets.

Jimbo has proof to show RB recruits.

Look no further than Dalvin Cook with the Minnesota Vikings. Add Trayveon's numbers last season and getting drafted.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
dixichkn
AG
I'd be ecstatic with either....... now it just has the feel of a game of chicken between the two of them and the only guaranteed winner is Jimbo Fisher
vander54
S
Dario said:

Because he's able to sell what he is building. Most people knew we aren't there yet and need a few more guys. 50-7 was a very bad loss but it was one game.
World's worst proofreader
LatinAggie1997
AG
I trust our staff. I believe they know talent and know how to develop it, even those that might (MIGHT) have attitude or drama.

I am most excited about Achane and Demas. Achane will be our Percy Harvin/Jalen Waddle.

If you don't have speed then you're chasing speed.

#ArribaArriba,Andale,Andale
zeromas
I agree with the Latin one. Achane represents a different dimension to offense previously afforded Jimbo.

On his own, he wouldn't be durable to be the bell cow, however, as a complimentary player, look out.
TAMUallen
AG
We need depth. Bring both
Aston04
AG
Desperately need a 4 or 5 star all purpose back. Go get him Jimbo!!
ClassOf17
Dario said:

"Look at LSU, you might wait 2-3 years before playing. Here you can come in and work right away with Corbin and Spiller and make an immediate impact, probably be the #1 back not too far in the future. Hell werein the running for EJ Smith too. That tandem could very well compete with the LSU's and Bama's.

I also have a great record with RB's, if not better than LSU's.
look at Dalvin Cook, Devonta Freeman, Chris
Thompson, and Trayveon for
Example."

Not that hard. Wins and losses aren't everything these recruits look at.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Champ Bailey said:

Kevin Murray, that you?
cevans_40
AG
Dario said:

As a player, a program on the cusp with the prospect of early playing time is more appealing to some than a great team where you are going to have to wait your turn. Also geographically, BCS has to be more appealing than Baton Rouge for a Houstonian. Add to that, an A&M education is better than LSU. I see both sides of the coin but let's not act as if we have nothing to offer.
Deputy Travis Junior
SamOrez said:

Achaemenid represents a different dimension

He's a great back. When I was in high school, Iran no where near as quickly as he does. He reminds me of Cyrus. I'm absolutely Xerxes gonna crush it here.
TEXAS FINEST
Seriously doubt Smith commits to Ags...Getting Evans would be nice but doubt he would want to Redshirt given Corbin returning next year along with Spiller
WGann3
AG
There is a 0% chance Evans would be brought in to redshirt.
TEXAS FINEST
So who transfers Corbin or Spiller...Jimbo only plays 2 backs
WGann3
AG
I can't answer that for you, decent chance it would happen if Evans came on board. That's a big if though and probably still a bit of a long shot.

But what I can tell you, is Evans would not be coming here to redshirt, he'd be coming here to play immediately. Maybe that leads to a transfer, maybe not.
TEXAS FINEST
Agreed....I think Ags need to recruit lineman instead of skill guys...Reason LSU,Auburn,Bama are ahead of Ags is Line Play...A good line makes QB-RB-WR's look good as do Dline to DB's...
Spyderman
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Disagree. Evans is rated as the top rb in the country for a reason. Smith is not.
Slamn Sharpe
Hollywood58 said:

Spiller because when Corbin is back he wont be starting.
Eike Mlko
McDadeTXAggie said:

Hollywood58 said:

Spiller because when Corbin is back he wont be starting.

Spiller is so much better than Corbin
Heisenberg01
AG
Hollywood58 said:

Agreed....I think Ags need to recruit lineman instead of skill guys...Reason LSU,Auburn,Bama are ahead of Ags is Line Play...A good line makes QB-RB-WR's look good as do Dline to DB's...

We need better O-lineman without a doubt. But you state we need to recruit them instead of skill positions and then bring up LSU & Bama. 2 schools that this year had historically good QB/WR's!!!
Big Shawn
Jason C. said:

Champ Bailey said:

Nah.

Haha, kidding. I think we'd be incredibly lucky to have either young man decide to become an Aggie.
EXACTLY!!!
Big Shawn
WGann3 said:

There is a 0% chance Evans would be brought in to redshirt.
He's leaving in 3.
TEXAS FINEST
Recruit all positions but in order to be ELITE and compete at Championship level Lineman have to be main priority. You will forever be #4 in WEST if you can't win upfront.
Heisenberg01
AG
Hollywood58 said:

Recruit all positions but in order to be ELITE and compete at Championship level Lineman have to be main priority. You will forever be #4 in WEST if you can't win upfront.

If you want to compete at a championship level, you have to be good everywhere! Show me team that is in the playoffs this year that is not also great at their skill positions.

You have to recruit full teams. Georgia was great up front this year. They were held back because they were not great at other areas.
Tamu_mgm
AG
MaroonStain said:

Dario said:

Jimbo has proof to show RB recruits.

Look no further than Dalvin Cook with the Minnesota Vikings. Add Trayveon's numbers last season and getting drafted.
And Devonte Freeman with the Falcons, and Karlos Williams - formerly of the Bills, and a few others I know I'm forgetting.
Bunk Moreland
Chris Thompson (redskins)
Bunk Moreland
Hollywood58 said:

On Jimbo's national championship team, Devonta Freeman ran for 1016 yards, Karlos Williams for 730, & James Wilder for 563. Jameis went for 219 & 2 others had over 100 yards.

Plenty of room for multiple guys to get meaningful carries in his offense.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
EJ Smith and Devon Achane both line up in the slot quite a bit. Achane especially has lotsa versatile qualities.

EJ has really made even bigger strides this year and is a stud in his own right.

All this said, while its very very much a long shot we get both EJ and Evans, its not totally outa the question. Both guys are being sold different roles in the Jimbo offense (not the same one, so they might be seeing themselves playing different positions). And although we do have a serious numbers crunch, I do think we'd take both if they were both willing to come on board.
psybj
LSU loses CEH to NFL and Curry to portal, thus will have only 2 RBs on 'ship w/ no commits, and LSU likes to give several pt. Neither heralded Fr RBs did much in '19. Thus he would not be expedted to sit 1st year.

OTOH with this flake getting him might be good news, bad news.
psybj

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.