Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Source: Manziel - QB Coach / Asst OC

24,299 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by A New Hope
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rangelady
AG
Showstopper said:

Seems like he should be GA first.

Probably would need to actually graduate first....
30wedge
He needs to be selling cars or insurance
Oryx
Punished Manziel
lil_frog8
AG
Ryan Leaf is coaching and Johnny never spent time in prison. The president has been set for this and not unlikely.
FrontPorchAg
itsyourboypookie said:

FYI Garrett Gilbert just threw a pass for Cleveland.

No idea why Manziel can't get a call.
You serious Clark? Teams want someone who isn't a distraction and they can depend on.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Wildman15
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Let's be real. What parent would allow Johnny in their living room to recruit their kid? I loved watching the guy play and would like to better in him, but he is the poster child for wild party animal and what not to do as a college player.
He's a recent Heisman winner who played at A&M in the SEC and has *some* experience playing professional football. Guy is a natural athlete who understands the game. He had a lot of personal issues but is working thru them. And you bet your ass Jimbo would have him on a very short leash. I would much rather have Johnny Football in my living room and standing on the sideline with a headset on than the "minister of culture"
Amarillo Slim
AG
John Football was a generational talent but as far as I have heard he was never heralded for his X and O acumen and his stay in the NFL was so short that I doubt his 5 years of professional coaching in college and pros would make him a great coach. Minister of Improv maybe?
Wildman15
AG
Maybe we hire him on in the offseason as a "QB scramble" coach? Lord knows Mond needs some help in that area
aggiehawg
AG
JakeSmalls said:

John Football was a generational talent but as far as I have heard he was never heralded for his X and O acumen and his stay in the NFL was so short that I doubt his 5 years of professional coaching in college and pros would make him a great coach. Minister of Improv maybe?
He was good at reading defenses and changing plays if he wasn't getting the match-ups he wanted. Even Gruden quizzed him on that a lot and thought he was pretty good at it. When the O-line gave him a few seconds for the downfield play to develop he could exploit those. When they didn't give him the time, he could still scramble and be elusive enough to gain the time for the pass to be there.
UnderTheHillAg
How about no...Johnny was a generational talent, but not a good "quarterback". His fundamentals were trash, and he got bailed out by Kingsbury, Mike Evans, and a great offensive line. He's the most electrifying quarterback I've ever seen, and I don't want him in that room telling our QB's ANYTHING unless it's about what NOT to do.
Amarillo Slim
AG
You also know this is not a real tweet?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Tango_Mike
Wildman15 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Let's be real. What parent would allow Johnny in their living room to recruit their kid? I loved watching the guy play and would like to better in him, but he is the poster child for wild party animal and what not to do as a college player.
He's a recent Heisman winner who played at A&M in the SEC and has *some* experience playing professional football. Guy is a natural athlete who understands the game. He had a lot of personal issues but is working thru them. And you bet your ass Jimbo would have him on a very short leash. I would much rather have Johnny Football in my living room and standing on the sideline with a headset on than the "minister of culture"

You don't know what Manziel is doing, good or bad. And Jimbo had Jameis, so I'm not sold on him as a "short leash" guy
Unemployed
AG
JakeSmalls said:

You also know this is not a real tweet?
Yes.

I faked the tweet as a joke.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Unemployed
AG
nm
Liquid Wrench
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Everyone scoffed at Kliff...He did good things here, then HC at Tech,

A 35-40 record is "good"?

More importantly, who is the "everyone" that supposedly scoffed at Kliff as a coach? I thought he was always talked about as a coach's son with a high football IQ. He went to UH as a quality control assistant too, one of the lowest entry points, and after 2 seasons got promoted up to QB's coach by Dana Holgorsen - who was considered and offensive guru himself. It wasn't really a "hire some former player out of the blue" kind of move.
Houstonag
AG
What coaching experience does he have? This is a stupid discussion.
45-70Ag
AG
Has he ever had a job?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Which President has served as an office coach or analyst?
aggiehawg
AG
Houstonag said:

What coaching experience does he have? This is a stupid discussion.
Kingsbury. What coaching experience did he have?
zephyr88
AG
Don Dawson said:

... but he was at the LSU game and gave that speech before the Georgia game, not to mention him hanging around Fisher so much this past month.
First, it's not like his calendar of responsibilities is even remotely full.

Secondly, Johnny isn't exactly a master of the playbook.

Next.
ashley
He'd have to get a degree first and I can't see him doing that.
AgPediRPh
AG
ashley said:

He'd have to get a degree first and I can't see him doing that.
i disagree. A sports management degree is only slightly harder than a defensive driving certificate
Ag4coal
I would love to see Johnny continue to progress in his life and would love to see him as a coach on our sideline. I think he could be a great recruiter that could bring the positive side of negative life choices to student athletes. Help warn/help kids to make better decisions

That being said, right now would not be the right time to do that. Jimbo is hitting a very important period in determining how his time here will go. We can all agree year 3 and 4 are critical to establishing the winning culture he wants. Johnny is a winner on the field, but he also brings baggage and press coverage that wouldn't be helpful right now.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
Don Dawson said:

That is what everyone said about Kliff Kingsbury...he was a great OC

Apples and oranges. Kingsbury actually learned from Bill Belichick. He did not have a bad reputation in the NFL or a major drinking/drug problem (or if he did, it wasn't public knowledge or something that he couldn't control).

Athletically Kingsbury was nothing special in college, just a very smart system QB who had the tools to produce in a high speed offense. Nothing against Manziel, but it's not like he could really translate what he did at the college level into something that kids he coached could replicate.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
romanagg11
Hell NO, but Sumlin could use him now, if he makes it there after a couple of years then MAYBE a phone interview.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Don Dawson said:

All those comments could be something. Simpson said he was "a coach on the field" when he played, and could replace Fisher as HC one day.

Not sure if I believe it, but Johnny could at least be QB coach

This is really stupid.
95_Aggie
AG
I guess its the offseason on TexAgs already
Ag_EE_88
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Good enough to land a HC job in the NFL.
CanyonAg77
AG
Ag_EE_88 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Good enough to land a HC job in the NFL.
That baffles the heck out of me.
Faustus
Don Dawson said:

You have to start somewhere. He coaches under Fisher as an assistant for a few years and helps recruit.

May be fire where there is smoke.
Could also be a joint.
Agsuffering@bulaw
JFF criticized the Air Raid b/c he never learned to read a LB. Has he since learned?

Could JFF break down film the way SM does? It sure seemed that he just played by instinct. He was a die-hard competitor, but how much football knowledge does he really have?
hunter2012
AG
Mond needs a scramble coordinator.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.