Story Poster
Jimbo Fisher
Kellen Mond
Buddy Johnson
Anthony Hines
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies react to 50-7 loss to LSU in Death Valley

November 30, 2019

The Aggies fell to the No. 2-ranked Tigers in Death Valley on Saturday night. After the game, Jimbo Fisher and select Texas A&M players met with the media to provide their initial reactions to the game.

Discussion from...

Press Conference: Fisher, Aggies react to 50-7 loss to LSU in Death Valley

60,156 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jsmc71
BanderaAg956
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You haven't started good against any good team all year! Not a problem that just came up the last two weeks!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Lateralus Ag
AG
Man, this is the same song we have heard. Different singer. Same song.
TxAg76
AG
Let me guess.....we've got PLENTY of talent??
And we're just the right coaching hire away from a natty??

We're idiots....and we couldn't identify the right vs wrong hire to save our lives....
#delusionalAggiefanbase
TxAg76
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

So unless it's Saban or Meyer, we're just shiiit outta luck?

Maybe....just maybe.....we're a lot further away than any of us would like to admit......

Maybe....
Mr. Black
Coach Fisher, you've got some house cleaning to do. The offensive line and secondary must improve dramatically. Those two personnel groups are a total mess and have been problematic all season long.
Lateralus Ag
AG
TxAg76 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Maybe....just maybe.....we're a lot further away than any of us would like to admit......

Maybe....

Nope, just said I have heard it before.
GregTheGoodAg
Well, that what ya call yer ass-whoopin'. That's what we get for all that salary money? Jimbo Fisher inherited a champion team at FL St, then it went downhill from there (just like with RC Sloacum). Why was Fisher the guy for us? We could have had Les Miles. Really, that's the best we can do? Whoever is picking the coaches needs to turn it over to someone else. If we take out the easy non-conference cake teams, that team went 4-4, and lost to every ranked opponent. What happened to all the "top 10 recruiting classes"?
Cojack
This is a repeat of what we have heard all year. Bottom line is this team hasn't beaten any team with a winning record all year. There is a huge breakdown somewhere between the coaches and players. Other SEC teams with Freshman players have stepped up and done what it takes to win big games, Auburn, South Carolina etc. Fisher needs to Step it up and fast, LSU dominated in all phases, this was terrible game planning and execution
Evanhue
AG
GregTheGoodAg said:

Well, that what ya call yer ass-whoopin'. That's what we get for all that salary money? Jimbo Fisher inherited a champion team at FL St, then it went downhill from there (just like with RC Sloacum). Why was Fisher the guy for us? We could have had Les Miles. Really, that's the best we can do? Whoever is picking the coaches needs to turn it over to someone else.
A 17 year old rookie?
OK.
counter subconscious espionage
GregTheGoodAg
What 17yo rookie? Ah, to do the recruiting. Gotcha.
TxAg76
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

TxAg76 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Maybe....

Nope, just said I have heard it before.

Fair enough.
But I think that where we ARE, vs where most of the fanbase thinks we "are", are two completely different things.....

And let's just hope our money doesn't overstep the brains.....the REAL brains....which we've rarely exercised....
sharpdressedman
After 12 games, what you have is very clear. Any expectations for a magical, significant improvement in the bowl game is pure fantasy.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
IMHO Henson was a bad hire, don't see any way yu can have 4 of 5 returning OL from the leading SEC rushing team in 2018 and get a new OL coach to replace Turner who we know was excellent, and have this many problems on the OL and it not be the OL coach that is the root cause of the problem.

Having said that, lots of idiocy in the thread comments here.

Jimbo did NOT inherit a championship team at FSU, Bowden's last years were 7-5, Jimbo rebuilt it then went on a run of 10+ win seasons, NC, big bowl Ws, dominating Florida, etc.

"What about all the Top 10 recruiting classes?" - You mean ONE. First class Jimbo just had to salvage what he could from what his idiot predecessor had cobbled together his first class was excellent and you see that playing out on the field. Sumlin's recruiting was highly overrated and full of guys like Paul, Horry, Hansford, Rodgers, no TEs, too few LBs, etc.

No, we do NOT have Top 5 talent, which is why 4 of our 5 losses are to Top 5 teams and the other is to a Top 10/12 team with probably the best DL in college football.

Jimbo inherited a 7-5 team that was soft and had not beaten LSU in 6 tries, hadn't beaten both MS schools in the same season in 5 years, hadn't had a winning SEC record in 5 years, hadn't won a bowl game in 4 years, hadn;t finished ranked in 4 years, etc., etc. etc.

So year 1 what does Jimbo do, beats LSU, 5-3 SEC record, finished 2nd in the SEC West, won 9 games, finished ranked, won a bowl in blowout fashion, etc. Great season overall. The problem is we lost 12 players, important players, to the NFL and had very little to replace them with.

Today sucked. The OL sucks. The OL coach needs to be fired. But overall we are a good team. It's just happenstance that we played 5 elite teams then all the other teams none of them were 7-5 or better, of course us beating them plays into that. BTW the only team Bama beat with a winning record was us, I believe, so it can happen.

Next year we drop Clemson and UGA and add Colorado and Vandy, so that is +2 in the win column. All else being equal, we should/could be 9-3 next season with minimal improvement. But we are going to need improvement to beat Bama, LSU and Auburn. We signed a Top 10 class last year, will sign a Top 10 class this season, that is how it happens. It doesn't happen because you want it to.

My guess is this time next season we will have an excellent record and our viewpoint will be we are almost there.

BTHO bowl opponent!
Jarrin' Jay
AG
sharpdressedman said:

After 12 games, what you have is very clear. Any expectations for a magical, significant improvement in the bowl game is pure fantasy.

Except we won't be playing a Top 5 team in our bowl game.....
BanderaAg956
No evidence at all in this game to support your claim that this is a good team! NONE, nada, zip, nill, nope!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Reno Hightower
Jarrin' Jay said:

sharpdressedman said:

Except we won't be playing a Top 5 team in our bowl game.....

Along with this same Oline and Mond.
90ags
Losing McCoy's leadership and strength hurt this team more than anyone knows (why he'll be all rookie team in NFL). OL has regressed and it has been obvious all year long.

He needs to hire OL coach w true SEC experience. Hell go get Brett B to be OL coach.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
s13fenton
For you arm chair coaches Sweeney went 6-6 his second year at Clemson and Saban 7-6 his first year at Alabama it takes time and the fact we have a young team this year compared to all the Seniors with experience we played in our top 10 opponents it is not going to happen in 2 seasons . So be patient !
A New Hope
Jarrin' Jay said:

IMHO Henson was a bad hire, don't see any way yu can have 4 of 5 returning OL from the leading SEC rushing team in 2018 and get a new OL coach to replace Turner who we know was excellent, and have this many problems on the OL and it not be the OL coach that is the root cause of the problem.

Jimbo did NOT inherit a championship team at FSU, Bowden's last years were 7-5, Jimbo rebuilt it then went on a run of 10+ win seasons, NC, big bowl Ws, dominating Florida, etc.

"What about all the Top 10 recruiting classes?" - You mean ONE. First class Jimbo just had to salvage what he could from what his idiot predecessor had cobbled together his first class was excellent and you see that playing out on the field. Sumlin's recruiting was highly overrated and full of guys like Paul, Horry, Hansford, Rodgers, no TEs, too few LBs, etc.

No, we do NOT have Top 5 talent, which is why 4 of our 5 losses are to Top 5 teams and the other is to a Top 10/12 team with probably the best DL in college football.

Jimbo inherited a 7-5 team that was soft and had not beaten LSU in 6 tries, hadn't beaten both MS schools in the same season in 5 years, hadn't had a winning SEC record in 5 years, hadn't won a bowl game in 4 years, hadn;t finished ranked in 4 years, etc., etc. etc.

So year 1 what does Jimbo do, beats LSU, 5-3 SEC record, finished 2nd in the SEC West, won 9 games, finished ranked, won a bowl in blowout fashion, etc. Great season overall. The problem is we lost 12 players, important players, to the NFL and had very little to replace them with.

Today sucked. The OL sucks. The OL coach needs to be fired. But overall we are a good team. It's just happenstance that we played 5 elite teams then all the other teams none of them were 7-5 or better, of course us beating them plays into that. BTW the only team Bama beat with a winning record was us, I believe, so it can happen.

Next year we drop Clemson and UGA and add Colorado and Vandy, so that is +2 in the win column. All else being equal, we should/could be 9-3 next season with minimal improvement. But we are going to need improvement to beat Bama, LSU and Auburn. We signed a Top 10 class last year, will sign a Top 10 class this season, that is how it happens. It doesn't happen because you want it to.

My guess is this time next season we will have an excellent record and our viewpoint will be we are almost there.

BTHO bowl opponent!

Great post. Spot on. Gig'em.
jchornsey92
AG
Quote:

I couldn't agree more with pretty much everything you posted.

I think we, as a fan base, are suffering from a few things:

1. PSSD: Post-Sumlin Stress Disorder.

Nothing like starting off 5-0 and ending up 7-5, right? Fortunately, Arizona now has that problem (started 4-1 then lost 7 straight). I think we're so used to ending up in a doomsday attitude that it's our natural response to adversity.

What's different this year? We were consistently inconsistent. Instead of WWWWWLLLLLLL, we were WLWLWLWWWWLL. To me, this is improvement. Yes, we lost to the ranked teams and won games where we should have. But, in the past we lost to the ranked teams AND to the teams we should have beaten.

2. Unrealistic Expectations

I started the season like a lot of us thinking, "So, let's say we DID beat Clemson... then our momentum would..." and before you know it, we're undefeated.

Did any of us really think we were the best team in the country? Hell, no. Then why would we expect to beat three different #1 teams?

Our other two losses - #8 and #4.

Most analysts figured we'd pull off one win out the four big games (Clemson, Bama, UGA and LSU). Quite frankly, I believe we would have beaten UGA if the SEC hadn't officiated the game as if it was in the best interests of the conference to make sure it had a chance to have two teams in the playoffs.

We are exactly where we should have expected to be.

3. Personnel

We lost key Juniors to the NFL:
- Trayveon Williams - SEC leading rusher (not Benny Snell, for the record)
- Jace Sternberger - Best TE in the nation
- Erik McCoy - anchor of OL and HUGE, HUGE loss
- Tyrel Dodson - would have been nice to have his experience

Our OL is horribad. I personally think Mond is a good QB. But, it's hard to be consistent when you're consistently on your ass. That kid has had the crap beaten out of him. A&M is tied at #108 in the NCAA in sacks allowed - 33. Triple that (or more) and we'll have a good idea of how many times he's been knocked down or hit. The fact he hits 61.3% of his passes is remarkable.

But, how many true freshmen are on our OL? Luke Matthews, Kenyon Green and Blake Trainor. And losing McCoy was (did I mention?) HUGE.

Other true freshmen on the roster? Isaiah Spiller, Demani Richardson, Ainias Smith, Tyree Wilson, Caleb Chapman, Jalen Wydermyer, Chis Russell, Brian Williams, DeMarvin Leal, Connor Choate and Caden Davis.

The only Seniors on the roster - Braden Mann and Colton Prater.

Quite frankly, I think we're in a good spot. Can you imagine how good Jalen Wydermyer is going to be in three years (when he's probably in the NFL early)? Or Ainias Smith? Or Isaiah Spiller?

Let's say Jashaun Corbin lives up to his potential and is in the backfield with Isaiah Spiller. Let's say Baylor Cupp lives up to his potential and is paired with Jalen Wydermyer at TE. 6-6/245 and 6-5/260.

I don't think we need to declare the sky is falling quite yet.

mickey644
AG
It's obvious that the TWU offensive line we put on the field didn't cut it.....
Mateo84
AG
Fedup said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

BTHO bowl opponent!

Great post. Spot on. Gig'em.

Totally agree. Well said
BanderaAg956
Until we get the OLine problems resolved the great players mention above won't matter. The QB won't have time to throw, the RB's won't have anywhere to run, and the receivers will not have passes near them with a QB running for his life.

Also, the DB's are going to need significant improvement (above how far they have already come). We need more depth at LB and DB as well.

Finally, we need a special teams coach that takes responsibility for special teams!

DGAG92
AG
I don't know what people expect. We have a below average starting QB, who's not a leader and, from what I've seen, has the lowest football IQ to play the position for a Division 1 program. With that said, he's all we have.....Foster is a no, Calzada isn't any better.....so the Mond we have is the Mond we get. Let's just hope, he's not our "default" QB next year, because even with that schedule we have, he'll still find a way to **** it up.
WC94
AG
Blue star before I got done with the first paragraph.
jsmc71
AG
I am truly disappointed. I don't see how anyone can say this team has improved during this year. If anyone can show me, please - for the love of God - do. Isn't an elite coach is supposed to be show improvement over the course of a season (whether you win or lose)?

Let's be honest...we didn't even compete against Clemson, Alabama or Auburn. The other team was in control the whole game and our scoring towards the end of games (when the opponents' DB's were just keeping everything in front of them) made the scores look closer than they were. Beaten by Auburn at home and Auburn playing a true freshman QB. Then we got bent over and raped by LSU. I didn't expect to win v LSU, but getting beat by 43 in the last game of the season? I don't remember, but I doubt Vegas' line was around 21.

The Georgia game, the only game we competed in, albeit not all that well. Refs blind or stupid or both, but very good programs overcome bad calls. I didn't watch, but I bet S. Carolina had some calls go the wrong way in the game when they beat Georgia.

I like Jimbo and yes, the "talent" is young. But I am losing faith in Jimbo and I'm starting to doubt the "talent". Could we even beat Baylor? Or UT? If someone had asked me at the beginning of the season whether we'd beat either in a bowl game at the end of this season, I'd have replied that we'd stomp the **** out of Baylor and beat UT by 14 or more. Now, I'm doubtful. What's worse, I'm not even sure we'd even truly compete.

To the positive commenters here (because, admittedly, there are some more football knowledgeable folks in here than me), I'd like your opinion - did we compete at the level you expected this year? Not talking wins or losses, just quality of play.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.