Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting rankings

9,168 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bill Superman
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are an absolute joke.

We land the #1 overall 2021 recruit in Harris and don't move up a single spot because of who sits just above us. When Harris reclassified to class of 20 and started leaning to the good guys he mysteriously dropped to 4* status.

Upon his announcement, sip lost 4* commit Princely then had 3* OT karic bumped up over 350 spots to become a 4* and maintain their spot just ahead of us.

This pettiness only solidifies 2 things: the recruiting rankings are unreliable - and that we do not want to get in the bed with sip ever again.

Not a single p5 coach would take sips '20 class over ours yet they are sneakily rated 1 spot ahead of us.

Sip can continue their numerical acrobatics in hopes of convincing themselves they're back and attempt to sway better recruits, but it's nice to finally have a coach that can properly do their own evaluations without relying on pencil pushing pundits illegitimate rankings.

While none of this really matters until it translates onto the field, it shouldn't go without notice - especially since many of you still clamor for the day of being in sip's shadow

Another top 10-5 class is on the way. Our positions of need are being addressed and we are bulking up the trenches and building an SEC caliber squad

The future is very bright
Agsuffering@bulaw
BDub3
AG
Donell Harris is who you are thinking of. Not Morris. And this has been happening for years. But Jimbo knows what he's doing. Look at Smith and Wydermyer. Both 3 stars, now playing huge roles as true fish.
Red Pill
AG
I reiterate...this is not bothersome to me any longer.
TheWalkOn
AG
Us not leap frogging sips after last Monday is an absolute joke.

But, I look at what we are doing in this class, and I see total "type casting" especially on D. We are stock piling heavy DT's and Agile DE's, which i see as a sign we want to be able to flex packages like a MOFO. This is key to me when you look at the range of schemes we face week to week. Especially with the reinvention of LSU's O.

TLDNR: We are recruiting to our scheme, and getting stars to boot. I feel Sumlin had it flipped.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Who cares...

Name one person who has mentioned "recruiting rankings" when discussing playoff rankings this week.

The goal is to get great players to campus and win. The opinions of third-party scouting services mean absolutely nothing.
Bill Superman
AG
BDub3 said:

Donell Harris is who you are thinking of. Not Morris. And this has been happening for years. But Jimbo knows what he's doing. Look at Smith and Wydermyer. Both 3 stars, now playing huge roles as true fish.

Good call, I have corrected it to Harris.

Didn't even realize both of them were 3*, what a miscalculation by the "experts"

And the same thing happened with last years rankings but it was even more obvious when sip has to get real creative to slip ahead of us - do the other bdf teams even notice these antics?
TheWalkOn
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Who cares...

Name one person who has mentioned "recruiting rankings" when discussing playoff rankings this week.

The goal is to get great players to campus and win. The opinions of third-party scouting services mean absolutely nothing.
I agree it's petty to worry about one commitment changing rankings. However, if you look at the playoff rankings and recruiting rankings, they correlate.

the WGAF? bomb is answered by lots of coaches, players, commits, and fans.

Ifishandlie
AG
Recruiting rankings are a joke. End of year poll rankings and bowl play are not

I'll gladly give losses to anyone who are non-experts saying who got the best classes recruiting and win what matters. Games.

Jimbo will win recruiting. Always be number behind tu but we'll be much better on the field.
QB1
AG
What service you looking at, rivals has us 2 spots ahead but who cares...I like the class and more to come!!! Jimbo getting it done!!!
levypantsEOY
Ifishandlie said:

I'll gladly give losses to anyone who are non-experts saying who got the best classes recruiting and win what matters. Games.

Jimbo will win recruiting. Always be number behind tu but we'll be much better on the field.

When are we going to be "much better on the field?" Wasn't last year. This year both teams seem suspect. Dare I ask- are you referring to... next year?
Leander - Ag
AG
Recruiting services are a business not a science
YankAg13
AG
I don't understand what this has to do with playing- or "getting in bed with"- t.u. again? They get their ranking artificially inflated whether we play them or not. Honestly, I would rather play them if they are overconfident and their talent really is no match for ours. They can have their fake recruiting rankings, doesn't bother me one bit. We'll take the wins, and hopefully soon championships as well.
TheWalkOn
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Recruiting services are a business not a science
I don't understand how that argument justifies bias considering our base?

We don't throw as much money at the powers at "services" be? Asking sincerely...
fullback44
AG
Let the services keep over rating the Sips players.. they all think they have the best players but really many of there players are WAY overrated and that's why they lose in the crappy Big 12 to teams with 2 and 3 star average players .. they are in a vicious cycle with their last few coaches not performing so rivals & 247 try to artificially inflate their numbers by bumping players like the OL this week... I encourage the services to keep doing this, they have false hope based on these bogus numbers
Doug Ross
AG
why do you care about arbitrary rankings, how does this change the actual team?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQDrummer85
AG
If we ever play the sips again in my lifetime it will be too soon. Can't trust the sips to be fair. Glad to see we refrained from scheduling them and scheduled Louisville instead. Praise the Lord!
DatTallArchitect
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Ifishandlie said:

When are we going to be "much better on the field?" Wasn't last year. This year both teams seem suspect. Dare I ask- are you referring to... next year?
You certainly thought you were back after the Sugar Bowl
TexanJeff
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Who cares...

Miller58
Nino Brown
Actually, all you had to do was look at the 1980's and see many infractions on the other SWC teams when the sips were doing the same thing to know not to go to bed with those *****es again. We were just hesitant and thought we needed to stay in the same conference. I don't need to look at biased media media outlets to tell me something I learned 30 years ago, big waste of time.
Ifishandlie
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Ifishandlie said:

Jimbo has been here close to two years.

I'll take where we are vs where we were any day
Nino Brown
His point without directly saying it is that if the recruiting rankings a skewed towards a team they are getting more media coverage thus possible getting recruits actually worth their rating or making sure team X stays in the spotlight somehow. It's not that hard to understand
Nino Brown
Bill, of course they do but what are they gonna do about it? Their focus is just to focus on beating them on field and that's worked out pretty well the last 10 years.
Doug Ross
AG
Nino Brown said:

His point without directly saying it is that if the recruiting rankings a skewed towards a team they are getting more media coverage thus possible getting recruits actually worth their rating or making sure team X stays in the spotlight somehow. It's not that hard to understand
he is upset that the sips are ONE spot ahead of A&M

so you are telling me that a high school recruit will choose a&m over texas because some stupid Rivals poll has Texas ranked one spot higher
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
If OP is just now realizing recruit rankings are bullsh/t then I'm guessing no one has broken it to him about Santa, yet.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Doug Ross
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

If OP is just now realizing recruit rankings are bullsh/t then I'm guessing no one has broken it to him about Santa, yet.
they are almost as bad preseason rankings....people that obsess over high school recruiting rankings are just more creepy
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
TheWalkOn said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Who cares...

I agree it's petty to worry about one commitment changing rankings. However, if you look at the playoff rankings and recruiting rankings, they correlate.

the WGAF? bomb is answered by lots of coaches, players, commits, and fans.

Not exactly. The players do not magically perform better because some dudes on the internet put stars next to their names. The guys are either on the roster or they're not. The recruiting rankings that are given as a result are meaningless
Bill Superman
AG
Doug Ross said:

Nino Brown said:

he is upset that the sips are ONE spot ahead of A&M

so you are telling me that a high school recruit will choose a&m over texas because some stupid Rivals poll has Texas ranked one spot higher

Here come the sip apologists - the "thank you sir may I have another" type.

Most of us are givers, not takers. There's other clubs to join for folks like you
Tango_Mike
1) stop paying grown men to stalk high school boys
2) the "analysts" (lol) go out of business
3) "rankings" are gone
4) ?????
5) profit
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
OP hit a remarkable number of "recruiting-isms" in that post. Impressive.
Post removed:
by user
lagoag
levypantsEOY said:

Ifishandlie said:

,Recruiting rankings are a joke. End of year poll rankings and bowl play are not

Your sip is showing. Troll.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
lagoag said:

levypantsEOY said:

Ifishandlie said:

,Recruiting rankings are a joke. End of year poll rankings and bowl play are not

Your sip is showing. Troll.
He has a very suspect posting history,...
beerad12man
AG
It has nothing to do with who was ahead of us. It's a point system and you could plug in Harris weeks before he committed to us and see it wasn't going to be enough points to move us up. But our total went way up and now we are a low 4 star away from moving up a spot.
Bill Superman
AG
Exactly. A "point system"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.