Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A real football post

4,547 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TAM85
jturner181
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe it was a post game interview that Jimbo did when he talked about playing ahead versus playing behind...

I think it's fair to say we've been playing behind in the big games we've played.... Clemson, Auburn, Alabama (our 3 losses). When you are playing from behind, you have to pass and play hurry up more, which we all know puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

Of the three losses, we were competitive in each... but sloppy with execution in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

It's clear to me we have some growing pains, are young, make mental mistakes, but overall a pretty talented bunch and I think that shows up every game. We make some great defensive stops, and we have some breakdowns.

We are in the midst of what feels like the sophomore slump.... bottom of the SEC is rushing right now, but we now approach the easy part of the schedule. Near the top in passing, but have been playing behind. Near the bottom in protecting the QB, but facing elite pass rushers.

When we look at the early schedule, I think most of us picked the Ags to be 5-2 right now, not 4-3... it was hard to know Auburn would look so good with a freshman QB, but kudos to them. We knew we had OL challenges, developing at LB, Mond's legs to work behind, and a new runner to replace a stellar RB of our past. We knew these things.

Despite some injuries, we went on the road and beat an Ole Miss team that could have easily won the game, and we gutted out some improvements that are overdue... running the ball, getting key stops, and working new players into the fold.

Sure I would love 5 wins, but I do think we are exactly where Jimbo's sophomore team should be; talented, but young.

I'm tired of the posts that talk about money, contracts, what other teams have.... I wanna talk about our program, the development of our team, and how that is happening. We've got stellar coaching by all measurement so let's let them build and support them through this process. It's the support during the 7-5 seasons that helps get to the 12-0 season. Our players are amazing and working hard... it will come together soon. Hold the line Ags!
KerrvilleAg
ironmanag
AG
I don't disagree.

The only unit I have been disappointed in is the O-line. After their improvement over the course of last season there is no reason they should be as bad as they have been. We saw some flashes of hope against Ole Miss. We actually got a push and generated running yards not from Kellen.

The zoo whiners don't want to admit it, but on defense we are playing 7 first year starters and of those 6 are freshmen or sophmores. Even with this they are playing better than any Sumlin defense outside of 2012.

The offense has under-performed this year, but we are missing our starting tailback, starting tightend, our best overall OL has been injured all season.

When Sumlin was fired we knew we lacked depth in the trenches. Sumlin failed at reuiting top shelf OLs and DLs with just a few exceptions.

8 wins before the bowl game is within reach and even if we go 7-5 that means we beat everyone we were expected to.

Last year's amazing seniors and juniors maybe ramped up expectations a little too high, but it is not like our losses were to chumps. #1, #3, and #8. We are an average to slightly above average team this year. We will see if we can continue to improve to the end of the year.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
BleacherRat
Quote:

I don't disagree
So what you're really saying is you agree.
BMX Bandit
Is College Station not being viewed as humid enough still an issue?
CCAD AG
Agreed with everything you said until this:
Quote:

it will come together soon. Hold the line Ags!
Sounds too much like "Hold the rope" and that brings back very bad memories.
samhoustonag
Competitive in all three losses? Hardly.
30wedge
jturner181 said:

It's the support during the 7-5 seasons that allows confidence in the fans to enable the 12-0 season.
lol
Emilio Fantastico
AG
jturner181 said:

When we look at the early schedule, I think most of us picked the Ags to be 5-2 right now, not 4-3... it was hard to know Auburn would look so good with a freshman QB, but kudos to them. We knew we had OL challenges, developing at LB, Mond's legs to work behind, and a new runner to replace a stellar RB of our past. We knew these things.

Like ironmanag said, the Oline has been a disappointment because a lot of us expected them to more or less pick up where they left off at the end of last year despite losing McCoy instead of taking a huge step back.

That has been the biggest issue with this team.

Other than that, your post was pretty spot on. Hopefully, Jimbo can close strong on the 2020 recruiting to fill some of the holes in the lineup for the future.
ironmanag
AG
samhoustonag said:

We were.

You may not want to admit it, but until the Mond Fumble in the second half against Clemson we were with thin striking distance. Same with the Spiller fumble against Auburn. We are the only team to keep Tua in the whole game. Were we going to win any of them, no. Auburn maybe, but we were competitive.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
What does being "competitive" in a loss mean? Does it mean for a quarter? A half? The whole game? We were not competitive in any of our losses by midway through the third quarter, and in my book, that means we weren't competitive at all.

Ok, sure, we were competitive in Q1 when the score was 0-0. That doesn't count for anything.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
You guys are being contrarian just to be an a**. All 3 losses (to two #1 and a Top 10) were competitive into 3Q, doesn't matter if that score is in the 40s, teens, or single digits.

Our next opponent was losing to Auburn 40-6 at HT (or thereabouts), THAT is not competitive.

Some of you act like Jimbo and his staff took over the Bama or Clemson program.... he took over a 7-5 program with little depth and the avg. player not being good enough to compete with the best teams in SEC. He got every ounce of good football he could out of the Jr. and Sr. players in 2018 while adding 2 good veteran TEs. We lost about a dozen to the NFL after 2018, some of which were Jrs and it would have been great if they stayed but having tasted and accomplished their first real season of winning football decided to leave... we won't have that many NFL players the new two draft classes combined. Right now our best players at every level of the team and unit are young with a few exceptions. Last recruiting class was Top 10, this one will be Top 10, I expect to be a much better team in 2020 though still not 10+ SEC champ. competitive....

If you can't mentally handle it then become a Bama fan so you don't have to worry about it, or a tech fan so you won't have the burden of expectation......
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ironmanag said:

samhoustonag said:

We were.

You may not want to admit it, but until the Mond Fumble in the second half against Clemson we were with thin striking distance. Same with the Spiller fumble against Auburn. We are the only team to keep Tua in the whole game. Were we going to win any of them, no. Auburn maybe, but we were competitive.
Neither Alabama nor Clemson had any fear of losing to Texas A&M. Saying we're being competitive with them is like saying Apollo Creed was competitive with Ivan Drago because he got in some nice jabs in the first round. But then this happened.

Rule#2
AG
Quote:

It's the support during the 7-5 seasons that allows confidence in the fans to enable the 12-0 season.

We won't go 12-0 within the next 10 years. HTH
jturner181
AG
Same thing was said repeatedly when Slocum took the reigns....

Jimbo is our guy for 10 years.... I believe he can do it.

Florida State was on a steady decline when Jimbo took over and changed the momentum.

I think he can do it here and will have all the support he needs.
jturner181
AG
We had a chance in the second half of all three tough games... and we either had a breakdown, lost focus, or the other team simply executed better.

Remember there was a moment in the Bama game, when score was 28-13, and we had momentum, driving and it looked like we were going to score to make the game 28-20.... but lost focus and handed Bama a slew of points, same can be said for Clemson and Auburn... just poorly executing at times.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Who is our injured best OL?
samhoustonag
ironmanag said:

samhoustonag said:

We were.

We have very different definitions of competitive. You admit we were not going to win any of them. So exactly how were we competitive?
Rule#2
AG
Slocum had one conference title in 14 years and never went 12-0. This just further supports my claim. It's all fun to hope and wish. Sometimes it's tough to be realistic.

For the record, I have no problem with Jimbo Fisher, or what he's doing here.
jturner181
AG
Rule#2 said:

Slocum had one conference title in 14 years and never went 12-0. This just further supports my claim. It's all fun to hope and wish. Sometimes it's tough to be realistic.

For the record, I have no problem with Jimbo Fisher, or what he's doing here.

Umm... We talking about the same coach? Slocum had 3 Southwest Conference Titles, and 1 Big 12 Titles - had the top winning percentage in the history of the Southwest conference... and represents our last conference title.

I think its safe to say that he did quite well and was thought to be a leftover from previous coaching staff.

He also was undefeated at Kyle Field many years, and had the following seasons:

1991 - 10 Wins
1992 - 12 Wins
1993 - 10 Wins
1994 - 10 Wins
1998 - 11 Wins

Rule#2
AG
No doubt Slocum was a great coach. I also apologize for the conference title miscue. Could very well be the pinnacle of Aggie football of the last half century. To the point though, as great as he was, he still never went 12-0. Take that, toss in the programs mediocrity of the last 20 years as you see, and add the toughest schedule year and and year out over the next 10 years. Viola, I truly don't believe it's possible.

I'm not telling anyone this so I can say I was right. I'm saying it because it ain't happening., support or no support.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
samhoustonag said:

ironmanag said:

samhoustonag said:

We were.

We have very different definitions of competitive. You admit we were not going to win any of them. So exactly how were we competitive?

If you aren't first, you're last!
Callate Donnie
You remind me of this preacher I know.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
jturner181 said:

Remember there was a moment in the Bama game, when score was 28-13, and we had momentum, driving and it looked like we were going to score to make the game 28-20.... but lost focus and handed Bama a slew of points, same can be said for Clemson and Auburn... just poorly executing at times.
So we were competitive because we were down 15 and almost scored? We didn't hand Alabama anything, they elevated, we couldn't match, they trampled us. That's what good teams do to average teams, week in, week out.

I get where you are coming from. I have felt that way in the past, but you're looking at it with blinders on. Until you're beating a team in the fourth quarter or actually do beat them, you're not competitive with them. You're giving them extra practice for their big games and a chance to work on their execution beyond the plays they know they could run on you 20 times in a row and score at will.

To make a Star Wars comparison since i'm way more excited about the new movie than Aggie football - Alabama is Luke in Return of the Jedi and we're one of Jabba's thugs on the sail barge. We shoot a couple shots at him, maybe even shoot him in the hand by accident, but sooner or later he's going to cut our ass in half with his lightsaber. WE're a warmup for December when he fights Dath Vader and the Emperor.
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
you had me at "playing ahead"
I am here for the comments.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

jturner181 said:

So we were competitive because we were down 15 and almost scored? We didn't hand Alabama anything, they elevated, we couldn't match, they trampled us. That's what good teams do to average teams, week in, week out.

I get where you are coming from. I have felt that way in the past, but you're looking at it with blinders on. Until you're beating a team in the fourth quarter or actually do beat them, you're not competitive with them. You're giving them extra practice for their big games and a chance to work on their execution beyond the plays they know they could run on you 20 times in a row and score at will.

To make a Star Wars comparison since i'm way more excited about the new movie than Aggie football - Alabama is Luke in Return of the Jedi and we're one of Jabba's thugs on the sail barge. We shoot a couple shots at him, maybe even shoot him in the hand by accident, but sooner or later he's going to cut our ass in half with his lightsaber. WE're a warmup for December when he fights Dath Vader and the Emperor.

Does your mom let you out of your room to watch football games?
BanderaAg956
Competitive in all three losses! Now that is funny, you must be drinking the good stuff. How much Papi Van Winkle do you have left?
Quad Dog
AG
APHIS AG
samhoustonag said:

I agree for that Alabama game was a disaster in all facets of the game. Except for the first drive, we were out coached, out manned, out talented and out refed.
Cardswin5
Agree!! And!

11 of our 26 TD's are from true freshman. Lead the nation with TD's from Freshman receivers with Weidermyer and Smith.

This chart says a lot (DEPTH)! Patience Ags!!

Here are the teams and class rankings.

Team / 2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016 / 2015

Alabama / 1 / 5 / 1 / 1 / 1
Georgia / 2 / 1 / 3 / 6 / 6
Ohio St. / 14 / 2 / 2 / 4 / 7
LSU / 5 / 15 / 7 / 2 / 5
USC / 20 / 4 / 4 / 10 / 2
Florida St / 19 / 11 / 6 / 3 / 3
tu / 3 / 3 / 25 / 7 / 10
Auburn / 11 / 12 / 9 / 9 / 8
Clemson / 10 / 7 / 16 / 11 / 9
Oklahoma / 6 / 9 / 8 / 19 / 15
TAMU / 4 / 17 / 13 / 18 / 11
Penn St / 12 / 6 / 15 / 20 / 14
Florida / 9 / 14 / 11 / 12 / 21
TAM85
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.