Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

DB's beginning of year vs. now

5,942 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DSAG
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To start the year the first few games I remember thinking how much an improvement we had made at simply turning around and locating the football. Seems we've started to regress. Now there were a few of those PI calls at Ole Miss I don't believe were PI but on several of them they probably don't get called if we turn and locate the ball. Several were probably even reasonable chances at picks if we do so. Did I dream that we were better at this to start the year or does that seem accurate and we are falling back into old habits now?
TX_Aggie37
AG
While I agree with you, every play is different and PI gets called every game. May have something to do with covering a little bit more athletic guys that we may be half a step behind relative to the TX States and Lamars of the world. I don't know if it's a huge issue that we face more than any other team though. In general I think our secondary has done a pretty decent job this year with the exception of a few bad busts and penalties. A couple of the calls in the Ole Miss game were pretty ticky tacky as you mentioned.
Agsuffering@bulaw
WTF is going on? Renfro appeared to turn a corner. Elam clearly did. Oliver is adequate at NB, but is hurt. Renfro must have angered someone not to play more. He should be starting at FC or NB.

I thought Morris struggled. Some PI calls were ticky-tacky, but some were obvious. Refs probably saw he was the weak link and started looking for him to offend. It is what it is.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Go look at our pass D numbers and get back to me on how much we have "regressed." Literally a 5 minute google search could tell you this is flat out false. We have improved in literally just about every pass defense category compared to last year, despite having almost no pass rush. These great stats include just holding Ole Miss to 150 yards passing, despite missing 3 defensive starters - 2 of which are DBs.

It's actually pretty incredible.
Meanmachine
AG
Blades is the best man cover guy and he has been pretty consistent overall, Jones has been 2nd best but I would say he has regressed since great game vs clemson. Renfro is 3rd best and I just think he is a little limited athletically so he has trouble with speed. The best safety has been richardson, he has played very well in coverage and is usually in good position. O'neil tried to trigger on the qb rollout vs Ole Miss and he got lucky the qb missed a wide open wr. It was the same scenario as Clemson and he misplayed it again. Williams played and did a really poor job in run support on the long td run. Chatman made a nice pick but is a liability in run defense, he also made a poor play on the long td run. I wouldn't say overall they are poorly coached but only 2 of the group look like potential NFL players and that is a low number for SEC west.
Agvet12
AG
Which is why Tucker taking a RS sucks... he took over at SS for O'Neil in the Auburn game.

Until we get Young back next year we're basically rolling with who sucks the least to pair up with blades.

That said our secondary is night and day compared to last year
83Aggie
AG
Blades is a great JC recruitment success story. Not lock down , but not far of. Aaron Glenn was the last JC corner that delivered big.
Muy
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Go look at our pass D numbers and get back to me on how much we have "regressed." Literally a 5 minute google search could tell you this is flat out false. We have improved in literally just about every pass defense category compared to last year, despite having almost no pass rush. These great stats include just holding Ole Miss to 150 yards passing, despite missing 3 defensive starters - 2 of which are DBs.

Without any stats I would have said our DB's are getting better, or we're playing backups who are starting to takeover.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
2 secondary starters out seems like the problem, if you want to call it that.

I think the biggest issue on defense we had Saturday was the RPO fooling our LB's.
rootube
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

To start the year the first few games I remember thinking how much an improvement we had made at simply turning around and locating the football. Seems we've started to regress. Now there were a few of those PI calls at Ole Miss I don't believe were PI but on several of them they probably don't get called if we turn and locate the ball. Several were probably even reasonable chances at picks if we do so. Did I dream that we were better at this to start the year or does that seem accurate and we are falling back into old habits now?
They passed for 150 yards with most of it coming on a desperation drive at the end of the game where we were sitting back and allowing short stuff to run the clock.

Our entire defensive philosophy was to sell out on stopping the run and dare them to pass. Which obviously turned out to be a good strategy. This left us in a few 1:1's where WR's got behind us but Ole Miss couldn't hit. All in all, I would say we are in a very good place in the secondary and should only get better.
ironmanag
AG
So we held ole miss to under 200 yards and 0 tds

We hold bama, auburn, and clemson well under thier season averages and the secondary sucks.

JDS is real.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
rootube
AG
I know. You read this thread you would think we suck instead of this unit is a strength and one of the biggest turnarounds on the team.
BleacherRat
rootube said:

I know. You read this thread you would think we suck instead of this unit is a strength and one of the biggest turnarounds on the team.
TMartin
Transfers and redshirts happening quickly to clear room for better talent. Blades and Richardson are success stories.
MaroonStain
AG
LewP said:

rootube said:

Per 104.9 in Austin, tu is surrendering 469.9 yards per game.
jagged
AG
Seems counter-intuitive that the same 7-on-7 style of Texas HS football that allegedly favors mainly QB and WR play to the detriment of physicality and linebacker / line play can't produce many quality DBs.

Sure the best athletes focus on playing WR, but the defensive backs have a lot of passing to defend against and some elite players play 2 ways in high school.

I also personally feel that the way games are officiated these days make playing DB a bit of a thankless job for all but the best ones. Any contact whatsoever seems to get flagged, resulting in a heavy tilt to the the offensive side of the ball. Giving DBs a little more leniency would create a better balance in my opinion, but I guess most people want to see high-scoring shootouts.
samhoustonag
Our secondary is certainly improved over the last few years. Not where it needs to be, but on a good trend.

Just need a little more speed and skill in a couple of spots.
robprall
AG
We need Manning bad but in that recent article posted by 2020 he states OU is still his number one and his last official with Georgia in December Could be a problem
brownbrick
AG
83Aggie said:

Blades is a great JC recruitment success story. Not lock down , but not far of. Aaron Glenn was the last JC corner that delivered big.
Coryell Judie? He delivered for us on the field as I recall.
Dale Gribble
brownbrick said:

83Aggie said:

Coryell Judie? He delivered for us on the field as I recall.

Yes he did, was a good KR too.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
2018: 262 Pass YPG - 14th in SEC
2019: 200 Pass YPG - 6th in SEC (Just 5 yards behind Bama)
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
From what I can tell our biggest issue in pass defense right now is clearly the lack of pass rush. We're averaging 1.7 sacks per game, good for 90th nationally. It was most apparent against Bama when Tua had 5 seconds to throw every damn play. His was the whitest jersey on the field. Seven games in and we don't have a single Aggie with more than two sacks.
iluvpoker
Demani is too slow to be a DB. See the long TD run by Ole Miss. Maybe he can play LBer?
Gyles Marrett
Tamu_mgm said:

I entirely agree with you, if that was what you took from my post that I thought our DB's had regressed overall that was not the intention or point at all. Was only focusing on turning our heads and locating the football. Has been a lot of coverages in the last few games where we are in perfect position (which is the hard part) and turning around and locating the football probably results in a pick like we were doing early in the year. Chatman finally did it on his pick really late but in time and made the pick.

I 100% agree with you though, our overall pass defense improvement has been stellar.
Meanmachine
AG
If you watch that play Demani was the backside safety that actually caught up to the back but missed the tackle. I would say Williams was the one who was too slow he was the play side safety that let the back run by him. I think Richardson is more likely to be a strong safety down the road but he is fast enough as a true freshman to stay with SEC receivers and not get beat consistently.
bwmammoth
AG
But they're DB U, right?
TAM85
Richardson is going to become an all SEC guy and an NFL draft pick.
agaccountant23
TAM85 said:

Richardson is going to become an all SEC guy and an NFL draft i
I completely agree, Demani and Jaylon Jones are gonna be a very special duo for us.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
iluvpoker said:

Demani is too slow to be a DB. See the long TD run by Ole Miss. Maybe he can play LBer?
It's not like he got burned. He just missed the tackle.
DSAG
iluvpoker said:

You and I are thinking the same on this one.
I believe several other schools were recruiting him as a LB type.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.