Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mond's Future

6,225 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Loyalty
01_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty decent article about Mond's current status and his potential future. Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond
Loyalty
AG
I think Kellon is one of those guys who's NFL career will depend highly on who drafts him or who he winds up with. Wish him the best when his NFL opportunity is realized. But for now I'm glad we have him. He's the best QB we have on the roster.
kentky
Mond is a LONG way from being a NFL QB.
chipotle
I see sulking in his future
TopoTacos
AG
The Trubisky comp kinda feels spot on in more ways than one. When things are going perfectly Kellen shows all the potential in the world, but he seems to have trouble processing and adjusting to changing environments either on the defense or in the pocket.
01_AG
AG
This excerpt, to me, explains the frustration many of us feel on game day:

"For the moment, however, Mond is holding himself back in some regard by playing with robotic play patterns. His skill set suggests he should be able to be a playmaker and a creative force, both in and out of the pocket, but Mond is almost exclusively a product of the offensive system. Mond follows the guidelines of a given play to a T, but does not do so with the ruthless efficiency required of a player who can only win in that specific way.

When Mond does put it together on a given play, however, it looks beautiful. Mond plays with decent timing and a striking arm that allows him to execute within the structure of a passing concept with ease."
Gyles Marrett
BrotherChad said:

PLEASE go to the draft Mond!
To be honest if he does 2020 is more likely than not going to be worse than it would have been with Mond staying.

Mond leaving means we have a redshirt fish in Calzada at QB who thus far looks EXTREMELY raw or a true fish in King at QB.

If we expect to be contenders in 2020 it isn't as likely to happen in one of those two scenarios.
ironmanag
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

BrotherChad said:

To be honest if he does 2020 is more likely than not going to be worse than it would have been with Mond staying.

Mond leaving means we have a redshirt fish in Calzada at QB who thus far looks EXTREMELY raw or a true fish in King at QB.

If we expect to be contenders in 2020 it isn't as likely to happen in one of those two scenarios.
Don't feed the t-sip troll.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TyperWoods
I expect Mond to be back next season and starting.

I think he needs a lot of improvement in several areas to have a career in the NFL as a QB.
ironmanag
AG
The same people complaining about Mond are the same people complaining that we never have an upperclassman QB.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Muy
AG
If my memory serves me correctly, the Aggie Curse will ensure us that Mond becomes an NFL Hall of Famer after beating Kyler Murray in the Super Bowl.
HUDAT361
BrotherChad said:

I'm with this
BQ-ESQ99
AG
Isn't he the

"best QB in the SEC"?? - K. Mond, SEC Media Days
Gyles Marrett
ironmanag said:

Gyles Marrett said:

BrotherChad said:

Are you saying I am the sip troll or Brotherchad?

Far from a sip here buddy...my post is just logical. a senior starting QB who's improved every year or a fish who hasn't won anything yet. It's not rocket science.
greg.w.h
AG
Kellen goes if he believes he gets beat at the QB1 in the spring or fall. If he thinks he starts next year he likely stays and likely improves in the process:

The article clearly suggests he isn't a day one or two draft prospect this year based on accomplishments at least in comparison to his peers. I don't think he catches Jerry's eye to become a project to keep his development going though more likely than in his senior year re-earning the start if he loses it. Short of injury and a very exciting prospect of a trip to the semis.

But what is great about the article is it cites specific behavior and confirms even our starting QB is still a work in progress.
SuckerAG
Ask the 8 Ball.
SuckerAG
Drafted ??????????? XFL? Nope
Bonfire1996
AG
Round Rock AG said:

I think Kellon is one of those guys who's NFL career will depend highly on who drafts him or who he winds up with. Wish him the best when his NFL opportunity is realized. But for now I'm glad we have him. He's the best QB we have on the roster.
Kellen will play in the NFL Preseason. He will wear the ballcap as the third QB not on the 53 man active roster for two years, and then he will start his real estate career in San Antonio.
LeftyAg89
AG
Mond is NOT an NFL QB, no way no how.

Cassius
Mond will never play a down in the NFL. I doubt he'll even grace the sideline.

I wish him the best in the world outside sports.
samhoustonag
Seems to be a good kid, but will not make the NFL.
EKG1996
AG
Jacoby Brissett
Kyle Allen
Lateralus Ag
AG
Round Rock AG said:

Spell his name right. Ok?

Also, he won't play in the NFL. Not meaningful time.

I am sorry. It is just the truth. Remember when Trey Williams left? Mond's career will be similar.
Lateralus Ag
AG
ironmanag said:

Gyles Marrett said:

BrotherChad said:

That, as they say, is rich.
Dad
AG
If you compare him to Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Watson, or Wilson he is about as far away from those guys as most posters on Texags are. I am not talking about how fast he can run or how far he can throw it, but I am talking about his ability to read a defense and make quick, smart decisions and throw the ball accurately. He is light years behind those guys and no amount of coaching up will ever get him anywhere close to them.

I think there is a chance that some NFL team might use a 7th round pick on him and see if they can coach him better than Jimbo, but if that happens they will move on within a year or two.
Bonfire1996
AG
He will get drafted as he will interview well and he will throw to one guy vs. air really well.
He won't finish his rookie contract though.
TMartin
Many times Mond looks like he is afraid he is going to disappoint Jimbo. May get drafted and then asked to play a different position.
aTmC4neck
AG
Mond is definitely getting drafted. Playing...well we'll see.
eldog569
AG
Mond will most likely be drafted by the Patriots in the 6th round and become the greatest QB in NFL history.
30wedge
Who knows if he gets drafted or not? Some NFL general managers make some really stupid decisions. Busts are not unknown. If he is unable to process game situations in the SEC fast enough, he surely won't be able to in the NFL either. If he gets drafted, or signs as a free agent, his time in the league will be brief.
Sparkie
AG
Mond gets drafted in the late rounds. He fits the flavor of the month. He has decent size and decent mobility.

Mond can make good reads but struggles with slow execution. His slow release is an example of this. No matter the talent of the offensive line, Mond will make them look bad.
Aggie_Swag18
Those of you who are saying Mond is not an NFL QB only pay attention to who the starters are. When you start looking at some of the backups Mond has had a better career than a decent amount of them and has better skillsets. NFL teams have between 2 and 3 active quarterbacks at any time, and with injuries quite a few teams have had 4+ quarterbacks suit up during a season.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
TAMU74
AG
kentky said:

Mond is a LONG way from being a NFL QB.
Concur...unfortunately
Aggie_Swag18
Also just as a reference to see what a later round QB looks like:

TJ Yates Round 5 pick 152

2007:

218/365, 59.7% completion 2,655 yards, 14 TD, 18 INT

2008:

81/135, 60.0% completion, 1,158 yards, 11 TD, 4 INT

2009:

214/355 60.3% completion, 2,136 yards, 14 TD, 15 INT

2010:

282/422, 66.8% completion, 3,418 yards, 19 TD, 9 INT

Tom Savage 4th round pick 135

2009:

149/285, 52.3% completion, 3,311 yards, 14 TD, 7 INT

2010:

42/83, 51.8% completion, 521 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT

2013:

238/389, 61.2% completion, 2,958 yards, 21 TD, 9 INT

Based off this Mond could go anywhere between the 3rd round to the 6th round if he stays until his senior year.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Dad
AG
Aggie_Swag18 said:

Those of you who are saying Mond is not an NFL QB only pay attention to who the starters are. When you start looking at some of the backups Mond has had a better career than a decent amount of them and has better skillsets. NFL teams have between 2 and 3 active quarterbacks at any time, and with injuries quite a few teams have had 4+ quarterbacks suit up during a season.

Physically he is a better athlete than many starters, but I think between the ears pretty much every #2 QB in the NFL is better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.