Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo now at a 21% discount...

5,283 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aston 91
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You saw it. Dabo signed a $93 million 10-year contract due to two NCs in three years. Nick is an 8.7 million annually according to USAToday.

Jimbo is one of five active coaches with either a BCS mNC or a CFP NC. Coaches with most recent wins:

Dabo 2018, 2016 season
Nick 2017, 2015
Jimbo 2013
Les Miles 2007
Mack Brown 2005

I listed all CFPs except Urban's in 2014 since he's retired to indicate Jimbo is the most recent non-CFP NC coach as well.

Alpha Texan
AG
Doesn't Scott Frost have a MNC?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
What is the "M" in MNC supposed to stand for?
Aston 91
AG
But Jimbo is still number 1 in terms of guaranteed money. $60 million for Jimbo, $50 million for Dabo, and $34 million for Saban. We've handed out fully guaranteed contracts like they were candy for several coaching changes now.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Joe Exotic
AG
That's the price of getting someone to leave another seemingly stable gig.
Alpha Texan
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

mythical

Example: UCF's MNC after an undefeated season a couple years ago
greg.w.h
AG
Alpha Texan said:

Doesn't Scott Frost have a MNC?
I see what you did there...
greg.w.h
AG
Alpha Texan said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

mythical

Example: UCF's MNC after an undefeated season a couple years ago

The BCS mythical is ever so slightly more real because it involved a game but a somewhat suspect selection process with a bit more lack of transparency and accountability than even the CFP selection committee...
greg.w.h
AG
Aston 91 said:

But Jimbo is still number 1 in terms of guaranteed money. $60 million for Jimbo, $50 million for Dabo, and $34 million for Saban. We've handed out fully guaranteed contracts like they were candy for several coaching changes now.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

It is true that we used guaranteed contracts. I think of that as a premium we have to pay over market. If we are honest with ourselves, it probably indicates historic lack of success and therefore higher risk to coaches coming in compared to other potential destinations.

LSU and Texas both took rounds at Jimbo and for whatever reasons didn't continue to making him their coach. One can argue Herman and Orgeron are on any to building durable programs with Orgeron modestly better positioned. Both programs traditionally depend on very solid in-state recruiting that we haven't historically always competed well against.

Take all that together and the fact that all head coaching agreements are one-offs and there you go.
Aston 91
AG
I agree for the most part, but I think there are also other factors. I believe the first fully guaranteed contract we handed out (in recent history) was Fran's. And at the time, it may have been justified to lure him from Alabama - but we know how that turned out. I don't think anyone was beating down Sherman's door, but I would guess his agent said "you gave the last guy a guaranteed contract, and you fired him, so we want one too." At that point it becomes "tradition", and here we are.
greg.w.h
AG
Aston 91 said:

I agree for the most part, but I think there are also other factors. I believe the first fully guaranteed contract we handed out (in recent history) was Fran's. And at the time, it may have been justified to lure him from Alabama - but we know how that turned out. I don't think anyone was beating down Sherman's door, but I would guess his agent said "you gave the last guy a guaranteed contract, and you fired him, so we want one too." At that point it becomes "tradition", and here we are.
If we fire people before the contract is complete...yeah...the next guy is going to ask for a guarantee.

I don't care. I recognize that strategically you're in a hole on recruiting during the last 2-3 years if the general public believes he won't be extended. But some schools at least require mitigation by the other party.

I think in the long run we probably will end up with better selection by having above market pricing and terms. But the guy executing the hire has to be able to choose between pretty talented folks.
Joe Exotic
AG
Neither Fran nor Sherman had fully guaranteed contracts.
Goose83
AG
They got a better deal than we did - Two NC's for $90 Million vs our $75 Million for one.

redd38
AG
Purdue is getting ripped off
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I believe the first fully guaranteed contract we handed out (in recent history) was Fran's. And at the time, it may have been justified to lure him from Alabama - but we know how that turned out. I don't think anyone was beating down Sherman's door, but I would guess his agent said "you gave the last guy a guaranteed contract, and you fired him, so we want one too." At that point it becomes "tradition", and here we are.

-The market falsely evaluated Fran. He wasn't going to leave Bama for less than a Brinks truck. I hindsight, better evaluation should have revealed the red flags. The bigger mistake was the extension after going 7-5 in yr2.

-Sherm got $1.8 mil guaranteed x 7 years. It was reasonable considering:

Saban and Les were getting twice that at the time. Fran's recruiting fell off badly. tu, ou, and LSU were killing us in recruiting. Leach had TBAT rolling with spare recruits. A long rebuild was likely. Sherm played himself in renegotiating a slightly better annual contract that included a buyout.

-Sumlin's agent played us like fools on the extension. The original contract was fine. Somebody should wondered whether Sumlin was just riding JFF's coattails.

-Jimbo was not going to leave FSU for less than a Brinks truck. It was an acceptable risk. The red flag is his poor '17 season. The reason for optimism was how highly rated his classes were.

Extensions at the first sign of success have been the problem. Jimbo has the same agent as Sumlin. If Jimbo goes 10-3 next year (Vandy is the crossover and CU is the OOC), we should say no to an extension.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/15/20732192/coach-salaries-history-highest
cbatt87
Been saying this from day 1 - the Jimbo salary will be middle of the road in a few years.
Aston 91
AG
Bo Darville said:

Neither Fran nor Sherman had fully guaranteed contracts.
Wrong at least on the part of Sherman:

http://coacheshotseat.com/TexasAMCoachesHotSeat.pdf

If the UNIVERSITY terminates this Agreement without cause prior to its expiration, or any extension thereof, in accordance with Section 5.2 above, the UNIVERSITY shall pay to SHERMAN, and SHERMAN agrees to accept as liquidated damages, the sum of One Hundred Fifty Thousand and No/100 Dollars ($150,000.00) per month for each month or portion thereof (pro-rata) from the effective date of termination until the expiration of the Term of this Agreement.

Sections 4.1 and 4.2 show Sherman's total compensation was $1.8 million per year. $150k x 12 = $1.8 million. That's fully guaranteed. I do think we screwed him out of the extension because Loftin said he (Loftin) never signed it.

And although I'm almost certain Fran's was fully guaranteed per the terms of the contract (I'll let you find the link if you want to prove me wrong), we negotiated it down after his stupid "VIP Connection" newsletter fiasco.
Tobias Funke
AG
cbatt87 said:

Been saying this from day 1 - the Jimbo salary will be middle of the road in a few years.

Wow, way to go out on a limb
Joe Exotic
AG
We never executed the contract you cited.
Aston 91
AG
Bo Darville said:

We never executed the contract you cited.
Wrong again. That's the original contract from when he was hired in 2007.
Whatthefunyo
Ok, but what Jimbo done for me today?
Joe Exotic
AG
I was talking about the one you said Loftin "screwed him" on.

You also left out the part of his original contract about him having the obligation to find new employment and mitigate the termination damage. That's typical not seen as "fully guaranteed". It's also why he settled with us for less than his damage amount.
Aston 91
AG
Whatever dude. I'm tired of proving you wrong. Go troll someone else. I guess with 20 posts a day you don't have time to fact check the crap you post.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.