Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are your concerns with Jimbo?

6,653 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cgillard
Smudge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For discussions sake, let's just assume that '18 and season to date of '19 are as we all expected. A few more 'facts' to simply accept for the sake of discussion: 1. Mond is serviceable and not cutting it as the leader we expect, and let's assume we have one more season with him at QB1. 2. We have a young team. 3. Elko wont be here long term 4. Recruiting classes are 5th or better moving forward after '20. 5. The Jimbo hire was a long term play.

There is a lot of complaining and moaning about this team. Some justified, some not. Regardless, what are your long term, ongoing concerns regarding Jimbo, Mond aside? Then, on the other end, what are some positives you see him bringing over the next, potentially, 8 years?

My take: I have two main concerns. Is his style of run heavy offense too antiquated? It's just hard for me to tell at this point. Bad O-line and young RB's. With a good, not even great, O-line and a mature, quality back in there, would this thing be rolling? My other concern is keeping good position coaches or coordinators on board for more than a couple of years. But this is an issue for any power 5 team. Those coaches that show promise in a promoted position move on.
Then the biggest upside I see at this point (and this could certainly change) is that the development of players he recruited will be great. You already see it in his young recruits and it's looking like he's getting the kind of players he's after to suit his needs. My only fear here is that I'm not confident in how this played out at FSU for him... seems like a mixed bag there. Some great examples of success and some not so great.

Just trying to get a read on the outlook of the bigger picture here without getting sidetracked by the frustrations with the current season.

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm a troll... Class of '00 - Gig 'em
NoahAg
I'm concerned he leaves for the NFL after winning his 5th national championship at A&M.
vander54
S
I'm concerned our fans will run Jimbo off
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I seriously wouldn't pick any other coach including Saban.
Joe Exotic
AG
None. Too early to make any judgments.
Smudge
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

I seriously wouldn't pick any other coach including Saban.
Indulge me... what are you seeing that you like? I think I'm with you for a number of reasons, both professionally and personally in regards to Jimbo. Just want read from the die hards what they think and why?
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Aggie_Swag18
That this run heavy pro style offense will work and attract top level talent. All the top teams are trending in the direction of being more pass heavy, spreading the field, and making the offense easier to learn for younger quarterbacks. Teams like Oklahoma or Washington State don't have to sit around for years waiting on a freshman to develop for several years in the system, they are plug and play.

Also the idea that this type of offense will attract top level quarterbacks is outdated. Most of the top young quarterbacks in the league came from air raid or spread systems. The NFL is trending in the opposite direction that we are.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
monarch
S
No concerns
GumboMaverick
NFL ready type of offense. Not the Leach run and fun that does not translate to the next level.

That and his ability to coach. You don't think why did he not go for it here or why call the bubble screen on 3rd and 14. Just seems to have it down.
wheelz
AG
When Jimbo's first recruits are Jrs then I'll be able to give you an accurate assessment of where he is as a football coach at Texas A&M. That's when our talent level should be closer to the top tier schools in the SEC.
iluvpoker
That his offense needs to be tweaked to account for the size/speed changes in OLB, safeties, rovers and nickels. Like what OU and even Texas is doing to force defenses into picking their poison. Hell even Saban realized he needed spacing.

Biggest concern in recruiting is not getting 4 and 5 star linemen. I believe football is won in the trenches.
ontheway
AG
No concerns.
ontheway
W
AG
smudge14255 said:

My take: I have two main concerns. Is his style of run heavy offense too antiquated? It's just hard for me to tell at this point. Bad O-line and young RB's. With a good, not even great, O-line and a mature, quality back in there, would this thing be rolling?
just a comment...this is the same conclusion that Fran came to back in 2005-2006-2007 --- when he realized he was not going to be able to recruit enough defensive players to stop the spread offenses of the day.

he went with the run-heavy / ball-control approach to save the defense, limit the opponent's snaps, and shorten the game. That approach was fairly successful in 2006. But 9 wins was the most A&M and Fran could get out of it
OrygunAg
AG
W said:

smudge14255 said:

My take: I have two main concerns. Is his style of run heavy offense too antiquated? It's just hard for me to tell at this point. Bad O-line and young RB's. With a good, not even great, O-line and a mature, quality back in there, would this thing be rolling?
just a comment...this is the same conclusion that Fran came to back in 2005-2006-2007 --- when he realized he was not going to be able to recruit enough defensive players to stop the spread offenses of the day.

he went with the run-heavy / ball-control approach to save the defense, limit the opponent's snaps, and shorten the game. That approach was fairly successful in 2006. But 9 wins was the most A&M and Fran could get out of it

In the old days that was our identity. Stifling defense and run heavy offense. I have no concerns that jimbo is moving in the right direction and still keeping with modern football philosophies.
Dad
AG
I think he is okay and A&M is the problem. He is as good as we can get and I think once he gets his guys in we'll be a solid third best team in the division and win 9 to 10 games most years. We'll never win it all because our major men's sports teams are cursed.
mccag
S
Now that is some serious BAS right there!
greg.w.h
AG
My main concern is our self-abusing and self-loathing fan base will turn on him and each other and reveal to the world all of their neuroses and psychoses...
BrotherChad
AG
I've said this before and y'all deleted my thread in the #LandOfFreeSpeech...#MyAss.

My main concern is that Jimbo subconsciously becomes complacent with his long leash and this ultimately becomes a retirement gig for him.

I don't doubt that his INTENTIONS are good. But intentions and actions don't always align. Jimbo is going to have to turn a serious corner next year to be on pace to win a Natty.
Ifishandlie
AG
BrotherChad said:

I've said this before and y'all deleted my thread in the #LandOfFreeSpeech...#MyAss.

My main concern is that Jimbo subconsciously becomes complacent with his long leash and this ultimately becomes a retirement gig for him.

I don't doubt that his INTENTIONS are good. But intentions and actions don't always align. Jimbo is going to have to turn a serious corner next year to be on pace to win a Natty.

You have to be around a good coach ( personally) to see his drive and competitiveness

A good coach can't stand to lose. It gnaws at his Inside like an ulcer. He'll do anything to win

It's his life. He's competitive more than you can imagine.

Jimbo left FSU because he saw he wasn't going to compete off the field with facilities. He couldn't stand to lose on events out of his control.

Jimbo is a great coach. He'll do great things here.
wcaggie04
AG
My concern is a team that seems undisciplined. Too many stupid mistakes and mental errors. Meaning, "beating themselves".

I hope this is an issue with youth and lack of player leadership due to that youth.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
vander54 said:

I'm concerned our fans will run Jimbo off
This
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Oline fundamentals & technique

Also it took him like 4 or 5 games this year to realize that calling Mond running plays is our only shot at opening up a running game... Should've been obvious during camp...

RingOfive
AG
Who cares? Go 'Stros!
TobyG59
AG
No concerns so far. Basically this is a team of freshmen and sophomores that have a lot to learn. The next two years should show much improvement.
TobyG63
NyAggie
AG
1. We don't have a dedicated special teams coach; it's done collectively - when we had banks here as st coach our die ops teams were good; Nader jimbo they have flipped back-maybe he should think of hiring a dedicated special teams coach

2. Building the oline; it's not good right now and lacks talent; gonna take time to fix this unfortunately; get a grad transfer in here to help during the building process

3. Conservative style: I like a coach who goes for 4th down a little more and doesnt rely so much on the fg kicker

Al Bula
AG
I don't have any concerns as I don't pay the man's salary. I'm just here to point out the expectations here are out of proportion. If you can't enjoy football when A&M is mediocre, turn off your TV and do something else. Stop going to games and pissing away thousands of dollars every season. That's what I did and I am a happier person with lots more time to do fun stuff with my family in the fall.

Unless you are a maroon glasses-wearing moron (well I guess I forgot where I was posting), everyone knew this schedule was going to be killer this year.

If you don't know how to shut your Baylor and UTA coworkers down, you probably have more issues than just concerns with Jimbo.
TopoTacos
AG
GumboMaverick said:

NFL ready type of offense. Not the Leach run and fun that does not translate to the next level.

That and his ability to coach. You don't think why did he not go for it here or why call the bubble screen on 3rd and 14. Just seems to have it down.

The majority of NFL offenses are trending towards the spread at this point, as have a ton of high schools. My biggest worry would be that we have to burn years of good QB play trying to get guys up to speed with the pro style system.
ironmanag
AG
None.

We have no idea what he can do at this point.

He won 9 games his first season.

So far this season his only losses are to #1, #1, and number #8.

It took Dabo 4 seasons to win 10 games at Clemson. Maybe just maybe we should give Fisher at least that long.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TheWalkOn
AG
My biggest concern so far has been lack of tempo when we are down multiple scores. It feels like we are built to play within a score/the lead.

I know the entire scheme is built around controlling the clock, but often times this season when we were down multiple scores on O, it took a us forever just to figure out what package we want to run out of. Subbing and play calling seems PAINFULLY slow.

I think no matter how talented and well coached we are, we arent going to go a whole season without finding ourselves down multiple possessions late in a game in the SEC West.
BleacherRat
My main concern is entitled "The Domino Effect".

1. Comments in the Zoo discourages potential recruiting as any recruit will want to find out what the culture is like at Texas A&M before making a decision. They will have heard about the so-called "12th Man" but will soon realize after reading comments here, that is a total lie.

2. This causes less than stellar results in recruiting and more 3* players when we could have had 4 and 5* players.

3. This causes Texas A&M to have a 2nd tier type of team so consequently, we will always look up to LSU and Bama.

4. Jimbo et al will find another university to work for that has a more appreciative fan base and willing to at least have a positive attitude until he can turn the ship around.

Other than that, I have no concerns.
Gig 'em!
Tango_Mike
LewP said:

My main concern is entitled "The Domino Effect".

1. Comments in the Zoo discourages potential recruiting as any recruit will want to find out what the culture is like at Texas A&M before making a decision. They will have heard about the so-called "12th Man" but will soon realize after reading comments here, that is a total lie.

2. This causes less than stellar results in recruiting and more 3* players when we could have had 4 and 5* players.

3. This causes Texas A&M to have a 2nd tier type of team so consequently, we will always look up to LSU and Bama.

4. Jimbo et al will find another university to work for that has a more appreciative fan base and willing to at least have a positive attitude until he can turn the ship around.

Other than that, I have no concerns.
Dude, go to the message board of every other FBS team in the country. TexAgs does not, in any way, have the corner on this stuff. Ever been to tigerdoppings? orangebloods? buckeyeplanet? Those places make the zoo look tame and rational
Spotted Ag
AG
vander54 said:

I'm concerned our fans village idiots will run Jimbo off
FIFY
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
OkinTexas
I think Ironmag has a great point. This schedule is a killer. Three games against top ten teams, and two of those in the top three. Almost any team would have three losses at this point.
BrotherChad
AG
OkinTexas said:

I think Ironmag has a great point. This schedule is a killer. Three games against top ten teams, and two of those in the top three. Almost any team would have three losses at this point.
What's the excuse next year going to be though? Because 9-3 is looking like our ceiling, with 8-4 being closer to reality because we'll probably drop 1/3: Ole Miss, State, or Carolina.

SARATOGA
Focus on scoring touchdowns. Every play should be an attempt to score a touchdown. Doesn't matter if it is a halfback dive or quick slant, the goal should be the endzone.

I'm tired of all this "get into 3rd and manageable" ball control business. 12 play drives are fine if the defense is playing hard. But Bama and Oklahoma and Clemson are trying to score on every play. The "ball control" has me concerned.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.