Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

SEC football coaches ranked (Fisher 3rd)

4,696 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Triple-T
RebelYell77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Overall pretty fair assessments IMO. I would have Chad Morris last by a mile but good with many of the rest.
https://gasnsports.com/sec-football-coaches-ranked-2019/
halfastros81
AG
Orgeron is high imo. I know they are killing it this yr but is this a 3/4 season ranking or a multiyr ranking. Might swap him and Mullen
zephyr88
AG
Was this written by the Battalion sports editor?
NyAggie
AG
I would have stoops above Odom and muschamp and even Gus
RebelYell77
NyAggie said:

I would have stoops above Odom and muschamp and even Gus
Odom was 9th, about right for him I think.
SARATOGA
Saban

Smart

Mullen - took a bag of crap at MSU to a respectable program. And is taking Florida to a consistent Top 10 team (easier to do in the east where only Georgia will ever be good. In the west there are 3 established contenders for A&M to try and fight with)

Jimbo ??

I'm not sure how much Orgeron is a good coach. I mean his players really like him. But anybody could be a great coach with a non-stop stream of in state talent with no in state competition. Louisiana......the entire state is LOYAL to LSU and football focused.

Ragin Cajuns are only ragin cajuns because they didn't get a scholly offer from LSU, and everybody there still cheers for LSU. The whole state is full of talent and loyal to LSU.
South Platte
I think Odom will prove to be a very solid coach at Missouri for a long time.

The rest of the list from 7-14 are simply collecting a paycheck and will eventually be fired. Most of those programs are totally hopeless from a long-term success standpoint and only serve as a means for the SEC to field a 14 team conference with a massive TV distribution.
rootube
AG
halfastros81 said:

Orgeron is high imo. I know they are killing it this yr but is this a 3/4 season ranking or a multiyr ranking. Might swap him and Mullen
I'm just hoping that they give Orgeron a big raise and extension. If you look at the production they lose after this year it's scary. If they can't get past Bama this year it may be another 10 before they are close again. I know they are recruiting lights out but it is hilarious when Myles Brennan plays.
rootube
AG
My ranking of SEC coaches

1) Duh I won't even dignify this with listing him
2) Gus Malzahn Only other guy in the league who put his team in a title game. The good news is that Auburn will have his head when he loses to Bama and they will have to start over
3) Kirby Smart - Has proven less than Malzahn but you can't argue that he has elevated GA recruiting to elite status. The problem is recruiting was never GA's issue.
4) Dan Mullen - I would have put him lower but they have won some gritty games this year and I have to give him credit. He should honestly be above Smart considering where they both started.
5) Ed Orgeron - I think he is a bad hire but you have to give them credit for where they are this year. This could look very different if they whiff against Bama and crash out at the end of the year. Next year is going to be brutal when you consider what they are losing. This is O's chance for glory.
6) Fisher - Started with more than everyone below him and has done well but not earth-shattering. He is recruiting at another level.
7) Mark Stoops - This guy can flat out coach. He gets credit for doing a lot more with a lot less
8) Matt Luke - Again considering what he inherited he has worked miracles. This is a young team that is going to be good in the future.
9) Jeremy Pruitt - Has UT showing signs of life vs Miss St and Bama
10) Derek Mason - He is pretty solid at doing more with less
11) Barry Odom - Had a once in a career opportunity at QB and coughed up hairballs vs Wyoming AND Vandy
12) Joe Morehead - Looks in track to re-establish MissSt in the cellar of the SECW
13) Will Muschamp - He is way too high. If you subtract the GA win he has done absolutely nothing. Hopefully, that continues at least till we play them.
14 - Arkansas (We knew it would be bad but this is something else)
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
If there are 14 SEC coaches I'd rank what Morris has done as 15th. 4 wins in 19 tries, with 0 conference wins. How can you rank Pruitt who at least has 3 conference wins worse than Morris?
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
rootube said:

13) Will Muschamp - He is way too high. If you subtract the GA win he has done absolutely nothing. Hopefully, that continues at least till we play them.
And if you subtract Saban's 6 National Champions what has he done?
rootube
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

rootube said:

So you are equating one big win over a highly ranked opponent to complete domination of all of college football for more than a decade. That seems like a stretch. Don't get me wrong SC may beat us at home this year and I will have to eat my words but they seem to have more disappointments than big wins (Much like us I guess). Right now Muschamp is hovering just above .500 football and he is in his fourth year so this is 100% his team.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Edited for top 6 (forgot about Malzahn)

1) Saban - because duh
2) Orgeron - In 3.5 years he's finished no worse than 18th, brought LSU out of the 20th century to combine the talent they've always had with an unstoppable scheme, and is now sitting at #2 in the nation. He recruits well and shows he's open minded enough to evolve beyond what he knows. That's something that even some of the best coaches struggle with.
3) Malzahn - Every year I write him off he comes back with a great football team. He's a brilliant offensive mind and despite recruiting in-state against the greatest program in history he's the only coach who's beaten out Saban for the SEC West title, and he's done it twice. And that's with arguably the toughest path to win the every year (SEC West + Georgia).
3) Smart - Maybe? I don't know, the guy is loaded with talent because he recruits well on top of one of the biggest talent pools in the nation (yes, better than Cal, Texas, and Florida). But he hasn't shown he can put it all together through the course of a 13+ game season. Seems to out-smart himself with in-game decisions. Seems to have a hard time understanding his teams' strengths.
4) Mullen - Just barely behind Smart, but might change soon. In two years he's had Florida sitting snug in the top 10 with abysmal QB talent. In his first season he took a 4 win Florida team the year before to 10 wins including a Peach Bowl. Before that, he had MSU at three top 20 finishes and reached their third 10 win season in school history. Before that, he was part of 2 NC's as an OC.
6) Fisher - I would have had Fisher at #2 to start the season but this has been a very disappointing year so far. If you had told me Kellen Mond and the secondary would be playing at this level at the start of the season I would have said we'd be 6-1 by now. No one expected the run and pass blocking to take a complete nose-dive. And what's most concerning is poor OL play seems to be a recent trend for Fisher going back to his last couple of years at FSU.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
rootube said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

rootube said:

So you are equating one big win over a highly ranked opponent to complete domination of all of college football for more than a decade. That seems like a stretch. Don't get me wrong SC may beat us at home this year and I will have to eat my words but they seem to have more disappointments than big wins (Much like us I guess). Right now Muschamp is hovering just above .500 football and he is in his fourth year so this is 100% his team.
I'm saying removing a coaches greatest moments to evaluate him is completely unfair.
34blast
Smart had/has alot of talent, but IMHO is not a great coach just average.
Moorehead is not a good coach either a couple of years he will be fired, he is probably #13.
Jimbo should be #2.
Give me Mullen #3 he is a really good coach way better than Coach O.
There is a false narrative / belief that current record = quality of coach. You can see it in the rankings
rootube
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

rootube said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

rootube said:

I'm saying removing a coaches greatest moments to evaluate him is completely unfair.
OK. If you insist I will re-instate his win vs GA. Where does that leave him? The answer is still hovering around .500 in his fourth year with one big win. There is still a lot of football left and he could finish the season strong. You have a chance to call your shot here. Where do they finish in the East? Despite the win, they will likely finish behind GA and Florida. They already got crushed by Missouri. I am not 100% confident they beat UT. Then where does that leave them? Be bold and predict they win the SEC East now and throw it in my face at the end of the year.
1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Smart
4. Fisher & Malzahn & Ed O.
7. Muschamp

the rest
Sumlins Pool Guy
I'd probably take gus at 3.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Wild thing about that list is how terrible the bottom half of it is. I'd rather have Sunny Dykes over just about all of them
dixichkn
AG
I'd put Mason above both Luke and Moorhead. Does a decent job given the recruiting disadvantage he has. Also think Mullen is too low. Seems to be kind of a Mack Brown-ish snake oil salesman but damn you can't deny the results.
rootube
AG
33 said:

1. Saban
2. Mullen
3. Smart
4. Fisher & Malzahn & Ed O.
7. Muschamp

the rest

Muschamp is 1-3 vs. Kentucky. How on earth would you rate him above Stoops? I get that maybe it doesn't matter after you get past 6 but this just seems weird given how much more difficult it must be to coach football at a basketball school. I'm not even counting the debacle at Florida.
RebelYell77
I'm also really starting to question Odom at Mizzou. Just terrible losses every year.
greg.w.h
AG
If we aren't careful Saban will hire them all...
jrdaustin
AG
3. Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M)

Texas A&M has all the fan support and resources that is required to have an elite program. Luring Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State was a huge coupe for the school and expectations were immediately through the roof. A 9-4 season in 2018 helped send the A&M hype machine into overdrive as the Aggies began the year with a top-15 national ranking. After starting the year 3-3, it's clear that the team is not going to live up to that ranking, although Fisher certainly has the pedigree to get the school back into the national spotlight.

I didn't realize that when we won Jimbo away from Florida State we won A NEW CAR!
Triple-T
AG
It's no surprise to see how many of the bottom tier coaches are in the SEC East versus West.

Perhaps even more reasoning to go to more full conference-inclusive scheduling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.