Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Finish 2019 with Mond. 2020 we need to look at our options

9,403 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Loyalty
BrotherChad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mond is our best chance at winning this year. /End

That being said, next year I don't like our chances with him. We will not go 10-2 with him. I think 8-4 during the regular season is his ceiling. He showed that last year with a better OL, and NFL caliber TE, FB, and RB to assist him. I'm not convinced we will have that kind of supporting cast next year.

Thoughts?
Double Diamond
Without help no QB will do better.
BrotherChad
AG
Double Diamond said:

Without help no QB will do better.

I'm not convinced another QB makes some of the bad throws/decisions he makes. I'm okay with someone who's more of game manager but doesn't make as many bad decisions.

But I agree with you. If Jimbo is the recruiter and developer we've paid for, we will have to improve across the board on offense. WR is the only position that's acceptable at this time.
vander54
S
Do we have to discuss this each week?
Off_The_Wood
AG
We won't go 10-2 without the pieces you mentioned regardless of who the QB is.
Loyalty
AG
Off_The_Wood said:

We won't go 10-2 without the pieces you mentioned regardless of who the QB is.
Exactly. Mond is not the problem and frankly has earned and deserves respect. Offensively, he IMO is the reason we beat ole miss.

Put Mond in the Alabama offense and he's a rock star.
Cassius
10-2? That's the goal for next year? Gonna be disappointed, especially if we have a first year QB. Jimbo should have written off this year and started grooming Calzada. But Jimbo is too proud and stubborn to do that. He's convinced he can turn Mond into an NFL draft pick. Mond will be the starter next year, book it.
Whatthefunyo
BrotherChad said:

That being said, next year I don't like our chances with him. We will not go 10-2 with him. I think 8-4 during the regular season is his ceiling. He showed that last year with a better OL, and NFL caliber TE, FB, and RB to assist him. I'm not convinced we will have that kind of supporting cast next year.

Thoughts?

How is 8 wins the ceiling when he has already proven to win more than that last year?
Lateralus Ag
AG
For $75MM I am going to hold my assessment until after next year.

But this team looks bad all around. Offense, Special teams, defense (some decent play last especially the secondary). We looked confused and out of position and slow.

We will just have to see. We just look like a bad football team.

Nino Brown
I am like most of you at times. I really really want to like Mond. Especially with some of the throws he makes at time. But every time a think he's finally turned the corner he makes a mistake that looks like he is a freshman playing in first game ever.

Blame on the line or whatever but Kellan Mond is the most on the field bipolar A&M QB I have ever seen
Btron
AG
Did someone say transfer portal?
Rule#2
AG
Mond will be your starter next year. HTH
Macarthur
I tend to agree w OP.

Mond does give the best option to finish out year. But the competition should be wide open in the spring.
Double Diamond
Nothing wrong with a senior QB.
aggiehawg
AG
Nino Brown said:

I am like most of you at times. I really really want to like Mond. Especially with some of the throws he makes at time. But every time a think he's finally turned the corner he makes a mistake that looks like he is a freshman playing in first game ever.

Blame on the line or whatever but Kellan Mond is the most on the field bipolar A&M QB I have ever seen
I keep hearing reports that Kellen is one of the most football savvy QBs from coaches who know him. Reminds me of how impressed so many coaches were with Jake Spavital as an offensive coach.

To me, there is a huge difference between book smarts and game day on the field smarts.
Aston04
AG
aggiehawg said:

Nino Brown said:

I keep hearing reports that Kellen is one of the most football savvy QBs from coaches who know him. Reminds me of how impressed so many coaches were with Jake Spavital as an offensive coach.

To me, there is a huge difference between book smarts and game day on the field smarts.
I really find it hard to believe he is "football savy" in practice when he takes forever to make reads at the line of scrimmage in games and is often wrong.
Muy
AG
How do we know that Calzada doesn't give us a better chance this season?
MaroonDynasty
Next year I'm rolling with the SENIOR qb.
TheWoodsAg
AG
I'm sure the guy who has put numerous QBs in the NFL and has several conference championships as a coordinator and head coach is going to start the guy who gives the team the best chance to win.

I'm assuming that next year it will be the guy who has (by that time) started 35 games and played 3 years as one of the most productive players in the SEC.
samhoustonag
Mond is a good kid and a good QB. But a "good" QB in the SEC puts you well down in the pack.

He cannot process information quickly enough. Slow release. Poor peripheral vision/field awareness. Many of his sacks could/should be easily avoided if he had better awareness. Last night there was a perfect example, all he had to do was move up in the pocket to avoid the tackler. Instead he was totally unaware and stayed rooted for the sack.
TheWoodsAg
AG
samhoustonag said:

Mond is a good kid and a good QB. But a "good" QB in the SEC puts you well down in the pack.

He cannot process information quickly enough. Slow release. Poor peripheral vision/field awareness. Many of his sacks could/should be easily avoided if he had better awareness. Last night there was a perfect example, all he had to do was move up in the pocket to avoid the tackler. Instead he was totally unaware and stayed rooted for the sack.

I have several friends that are Georgia fans, every single one of them last night said they would trade us From for Mond and not think twice about it.

Mond is right up at the top behind Tua and Burrow in the next tier of SEC QBs. The quicker you people accept that fact the better off tou'll Be over the next 14 months. Enjoy it
mrfun83
AG
Perhaps Oklahoma has blazed a new way. Recruit a great surrounding cast and have good/great QB transfers seek you out?
leardriver
AG
I'm disappointed that Calzada (or anyone) has not come on in relief of Mond. Against Power 5 competition, at times, Mond has looked no better than he did in 2017 as a freshman. .Against Clemson and again versus Alabama, Mond was noticeably limping, yet the replacements remained on the sidelines.

Jimbo obviously has a lot invested in his choice of Mond. Otherwise, he would have used a backup for a few plays while Mond took a much needed break... physically and mentally.

Do the other quarterbacks really look so poor in practice that playing one of them for a couple series might jeopardize the game? News flash: We're 4-3 already, tough games ahead, and our bowl prospects are on the table.

Really, though, I'm not complaining about Jimbo. He's the best we could get, and I'm glad he's here. I'm simply surprised that there appear to be so few... if ANY... options at quarterback.

Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
gopitt
Mond lacks leadership.
Next year will be more of the same.
Have not seen any improvement from last year.
Reno Hightower
I would love to see what Calzada would do behind this Oline 7 games into his freshman year.
DallasAg 94
Aston04 said:

I really find it hard to believe he is "football savy" in practice when he takes forever to make reads at the line of scrimmage in games and is often wrong.
You probably don't realize this, because you are neither on the sidelines or at practice... Fisher has set our offense to milk the clock down to below 5 secs on the play clock. Mond actually does better when the pressure is high and the tempo is up. The slower pace is to benefit our Defense and shorten the game.

Last night during the game, they said Fisher grades Mond at about 90% correct in his reads. So, if Fisher is telling the media that, and telling the team that, it would seem that either Fisher knows the plays and reads or you do.

Something to think about.
Aston04
AG
leardriver said:

I'm disappointed that Calzada (or anyone) has not come on in relief of Mond. Against Power 5 competition, at times, Mond has looked no better than he did in 2017 as a freshman. .Against Clemson and again versus Alabama, Mond was noticeably limping, yet the replacements remained on the sidelines.

Jimbo obviously has a lot invested in his choice of Mond. Otherwise, he would have used a backup for a few plays while Mond took a much needed break... physically and mentally.

Do the other quarterbacks really look so poor in practice that playing one of them for a couple series might jeopardize the game? News flash: We're 4-3 already, tough games ahead, and our bowl prospects are on the table.

Really, though, I'm not complaining about Jimbo. He's the best we could get, and I'm glad he's here. I'm simply surprised that there appear to be so few... if ANY... options at quarterback.

our qb room this year sucks. Calzada was never a true fish starter type (not super accurate in high school and not a big time runner). Other backups aren't good enough. Jimbo should have brought in a transfer qb to compete.
30wedge
Hopefully something works out and we can improve at the position.

Passing efficiency--not in the top 50
Passing TD's--tied for 33rd
Passing yards--26th
Passing yards per game--29th
Completion percentage--not in the top 50
Completions per game--14th
Passing yards per completion--not in the top 50
Yards per pass attempt--not in the top 50
BSCE84ag
AG
Mond will be here next year. NFL wont take him.
rootube
AG
BrotherChad said:

Thoughts?
Here's a thought. You should go to coach Fisher's office in the morning on Monday and layout your bold concepts. Then immediately report back on the feedback you get.
aggie813
TheWoodsAg said:

samhoustonag said:

I have several friends that are Georgia fans, every single one of them last night said they would trade us From for Mond and not think twice about it.

Mond is right up at the top behind Tua and Burrow in the next tier of SEC QBs. The quicker you people accept that fact the better off tou'll Be over the next 14 months. Enjoy it

I'm curious as to why they would rather have Mond?
I'm surrounded by all kinds of SEC folks, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina Tennessee and especially UGA fans and none of them think Mond is anything special. They don't speak poorly of him. They just wouldn't trade their QB for him.
Sparkie
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

I'm sure the guy who has put numerous QBs in the NFL and has several conference championships as a coordinator and head coach is going to start the guy who gives the team the best chance to win.

I'm assuming that next year it will be the guy who has (by that time) started 35 games and played 3 years as one of the most productive players in the SEC.
Sherman had tons on NFL experience that didn't translate to college. He had a fetish for JJ while the better quarterback played receiver.

Don't be so naive.
OkinTexas
mrfun83 said:

Perhaps Oklahoma has blazed a new way. Recruit a great surrounding cast and have good/great QB transfers seek you out?

Never thought about it that way but dang, you may have a point.
wheelz
AG
If it was my call, I'd give Calzada a lot of PT against UTSA and give him every chance to win the starting job next spring & fall. If he can't beat Kellen out then I go with my Sr QB who has a ton of experience and a better team around him to go along with an easier schedule.

If Mond's my starter, I give Zach a lot of PT any time I can just in case I have to make a switch mid-season.
Joe Exotic
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

For $75MM I am going to hold my assessment until after next year.

But this team looks bad all around. Offense, Special teams, defense (some decent play last especially the secondary). We looked confused and out of position and slow.

We will just have to see. We just look like a bad football team.

Still pretending our defense is bad
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.