Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mond is not perfect

7,331 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
aggiecouch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our QB could do some things better.

He sometimes holds on to the ball too long. He takes some unnecessary sacks. He still commits ill-advised critical turnovers that a jr QB shouldn't.

He's a tough SOB. He gets no protection, takes hits and goes out and continues to compete. I respect that.

Thanks for representing us Kellen. Keep grinding. You'll get some hate on here, but some folks see what you're about.
ccolley68
AG
I like Mond kind of the way I liked McGee. Not great (though I think McGee had tons of untapped potential) but tough players who both did/have taken a beating in the offense, and just get back up and do it again.

I don't think we will ever win anything of significance with Mond as our QB, but when his career is done I will be thankful he steered the ship valiantly through a rough period, while we were preparing the next real QB.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I expect an idiot named cords to bleed all over this thread & claim that Mond sucks at least 3 different times
Cedar09
I like when he runs the ball!
AG
Nobody on this team is perfect. But Mond can take a beating, I'll give him that. He's a tough SOB.
lil_frog8
AG
Mond is taking it for the team while Calzada develops and will be a good quality backup if King is a generational type talent like T Lawrence. If Mond was smart he will graduate the summer so he can transfer if he looses his job this spring.
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
czar_iv
AG
Sometimes Mond looks like a solid college QB but then he makes one terribly bad decision every game which is the most frustrating thing of it all.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
texan12
OP has been saying this same line since Randy McCown I bet. Give me a damn QB who's accurate/confident and we won't have to worry about them having to take beatings.
Ags4DaWin
aggiecouch said:

Our QB could do some things better.

He sometimes holds on to the ball too long. He takes some unnecessary sacks. He still commits ill-advised critical turnovers that a jr QB shouldn't.

He's a tough SOB. He gets no protection, takes hits and goes out and continues to compete. I respect that.

Thanks for representing us Kellen. Keep grinding. You'll get some hate on here, but some folks see what you're about.

He takes sacks and gets hit because he fails to identify obvious blitzes presnap, stares down a single reciever every pass play, and holds the ball too long, delivering the ball too late.

His poor QB play is the primary reason he gets hit. So why are you giving hin props for making so many mistakes?

If he would fix the problems and he will get hit alot less.
Indignitas
AG
Mond is a fine QB with plenty of talent. This is proving to be a hard year for him, but he's showing some real resilience and adaptability. That's the best thing he can do for our program. He deserves our appreciation. I think next year will be much smoother for him and his performance will reflect it. Energy spent pooping all over him now is simply a waste.
texan12
Many coaches have said that you cannot teach accuracy. Mond is average and just that.
Gil Renard
AG
Solid sec QB. He's not Johnny.
fightinag
Gil Renard said:

According to him he's the BEST quarterback in the SEC !
Just wish one week he'd show it !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Cassius
He ran pretty well tonight, I'll give him that. We need way more of that to have a chance to get to 6-6
BQDrummer85
AG
lil_frog8 said:

Mond is taking it for the team while Calzada develops and will be a good quality backup if King is a generational type talent like T Lawrence. If Mond was smart he will graduate the summer so he can transfer if he looses his job this spring.

This.
halfastros81
AG
Glad to see they have focused more on Mond hurting opponents with his legs. He's an average passer. Flashes of greatness followed by big mistakes. Our lack of offensive punch is more about an at best average OL and lack of skilled position speed than the QB imo. I do wish he could cut out the one ridiculous turnover he makes seemingly almost every game.

From afar he looks like a quiet , hard worker who seeks
To be his best. Those are admirable traits . He'll likely be successful in life imo.
turboboost
Muy
AG
Cedar09 said:

I like when he runs the ball!

This, and most of us have been saying since the offseason that his legs have to be a big part of this offense. What I didn't understand last night is how strong we came out with Mond running, then we seemed to abandon it for a couple of quarters. Came back to it in the 4th when we needed those first downs.

I liken this to me in Vegas. I win playing blackjack (aka Mond running), but after I go up, I take my winnings to the more fun craps table (aka passing game) and lose it.
cords12
ccolley68 said:

I like Mond kind of the way I liked McGee. Not great (though I think McGee had tons of untapped potential) but tough players who both did/have taken a beating in the offense, and just get back up and do it again.

I don't think we will ever win anything of significance with Mond as our QB, but when his career is done I will be thankful he steered the ship valiantly through a rough period, while we were preparing the next real QB.

McGee took care of the football! Mond never has
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cords12 said:

ccolley68 said:

McGee took care of the football! Mond never has

Just last week against Bama.
Johnny Boyziel 2
AG
ccolley68 said:

Low blow. Why would you take such a cheap shot at McGee?
Spyderman
AG
Mature kid...clearly his parents raised him well. Kuddos to them. Hate to dog on the OL...but he would look a lot better if we had one.
schmendeler
AG
He plays hard, and tries hard. He's not so good that he can make up for the deficiencies of our o line, but that's not reasonable to require. He seems like a good "kid", and I trust Jimbo enough to believe that he's the best we've got right now, so why not try to just enjoy what we can while we can. The football season is already half over.
Harry Dunne
McGee started a game for the Cowboys and led them on a 4th quarter game-winning drive against the 10-5 Eagles. He was no Brett Favre, but he found a way - just like Bucky.

If you had a draft of starting Aggie QBs this century, I'd take Mond near the bottom.
Ags4DaWin
Gil Renard said:

he ranks in the bottom half of the SEC in every measurable metric for measuring QB skill

Not sure how being in the bottom of the half means you are solid.

Our definitions of solid might be different.
dreyOO
That assessment kinda reminds me of David Carr. Had a piss poor line...but also caused about half of his sacks.
SuckerAG
Not good
SuckerAG
He ain't got it. Move on
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
One positive for Mond...you won't seem him playing in Cleveland anytime soon.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Gil Renard said:

he ranks in the bottom half of the SEC in every measurable metric for measuring QB skill

Not sure how being in the bottom of the half means you are solid.

Our definitions of solid might be different.
Among SEC QBs he's 3rd in yards, 6th in completion % (with 33 more attempts than the next closest, Burrow), T-4th in TDs, and 8th in QB Rtg. Not outstanding by any means, but in the top half in every measurable metric for measuring QB skill that I looked for in my 2 minute search.

He is also the 3rd ranked SEC QB in rushing yards (Plumlee 1/Shrader 2), and has one less TD than Plumlee ranking him 2nd in SEC QBs in rushing TDs.

He has been sacked 18 times. Next closest is Riley Neal (Vandy) with 13.

All this is assuming the ESPN stats are correct of course.

Mond is a perfectly adequate SEC QB if we had a running game and consistently protected him throwing the football. Any sort of QB change won't change anything over the course of the rest of the season. If Calzada came in, he may complete 2 or 3 more balls that Mond misses but then miss a throw or two that Mond makes because Calzada throws everything 100 mph. Even then that doesn't necessarily translate to a win that would have been a loss with Mond. Mond is the best option and will be QB1 the rest of this year and probably next season as well.
MMantle
AG
Agreed, we're in deep trouble offensively without Kellen Mond.

I sense that he's over-coached, he seems to be thinking too much out there, almost like a mechanical man.

I wish Fisher would let him go, just let him play.

RR
MouthBQ98
AG
For the record, Lawrence has looked much more like a mortal man this year than many anticipated.
ontheway
AG
This, in spades
ontheway
Ags4DaWin

Mond Ranks
51 in completion percentage in the country
67 in passing efficiency in the country
87 in yards per completion in the country

QBR compared to SEC starters

1 Burrow 216 (LSU)
2 Tua 212 (bama)
3 Trask 159 (Florida)
4 Jake Fromm 152.2 (Georgia)
5 Kelly Bryant 149 (Missouri)
6 Guarantano 139.6 (Tennessee)
7 Tommy Stevens 137(Miss St.)
8 Bo Nix 136.4 (Auburn) freshman
9 Mond 134.1 (A&M)
10 Matt Corral 129 (Ole Miss) RS Fresh
11 Ryan Hilinski 119 (USCe) freshman
12 Riley Neal 115 (Vandy)
13 Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel (Arkansas) Both hovering at 105
14 Kentucky did not qualify no QB has started more than 3 games

His QBR is at the bottom of the SEC barrel and he is only beating 2 freshmen, Vanderbilt's quarterback, and both abysmal Arkansas QB's. Hell he is even getting BEATEN by Auburn's freshman in that category.

His completion percentage is 6th best in the SEC...two teams in the SEC have had not had a consistent starter due to injuries...so he is really 6th out of twelve teams...whichever way you cut it is average for the SEC.
His efficiency rating is 8th best in the SEC.
Yards per Attempt is 9th in the SEC, once again at the bottom of teams that have had a regular starter for most of the season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Mond Ranks
51 in completion percentage in the country
67 in passing efficiency in the country
87 in yards per completion in the country

QBR compared to SEC starters

1 Burrow 216 (LSU)
2 Tua 212 (bama)
3 Trask 159 (Florida)
4 Jake Fromm 152.2 (Georgia)
5 Kelly Bryant 149 (Missouri)
6 Guarantano 139.6 (Tennessee)
7 Tommy Stevens 137(Miss St.)
8 Bo Nix 136.4 (Auburn) freshman
9 Mond 134.1 (A&M)
10 Matt Corral 129 (Ole Miss) RS Fresh
11 Ryan Hilinski 119 (USCe) freshman
12 Riley Neal 115 (Vandy)
13 Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel (Arkansas) Both hovering at 105
14 Kentucky did not qualify no QB has started more than 3 games

His QBR is at the bottom of the SEC barrel and he is only beating 2 freshmen, Vanderbilt's quarterback, and both abysmal Arkansas QB's. Hell he is even getting BEATEN by Auburn's freshman in that category.

His completion percentage is 6th best in the SEC...two teams in the SEC have had not had a consistent starter due to injuries...so he is really 6th out of twelve teams...whichever way you cut it is average for the SEC.
His efficiency rating is 8th best in the SEC.
Yards per Attempt is 9th in the SEC, once again at the bottom of teams that have had a regular starter for most of the season.

Man, just think how much better it would be if our Oline wasn't so bad this year and we had a run game to take pressure off of him.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.