Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Mond the most polarizing Aggie we've ever had?

7,207 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigOil
CptnTight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have never seen a fan base so divided over a single player, Mond is hated by one half and (I wouldn't say loved) but certainly protected or defended by the other half. When Aggies bring him up in discussion, its almost a guarantee that emotions will run loose and an argument will break out.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
CptnTight said:

I have never seen a fan base so divided over a single player, Mond is hated by one half and (I wouldn't say loved) but certainly protected or defended by the other half. When Aggies bring him up in discussion, its almost a guarantee that emotions will run loose and an argument will break out.

Aggies don't necessarily love Mond, they're just conditioned to not say anything bad about "our guy".

It was the same way with Fran and Sumlin. Some posters for the most part too.
Whatthefunyo
Lol you kidding? Polarizing? Manziel perhaps?? Manziel mobilized all of our expectations into thinking we actually deserved what we don't.
Windy City Ag
AG
Kyler Murray was 10x worse.
Bunk Moreland
It's for simple minded folk to project all their anger at 1 person.

If there's ever 1 person to do it at, it's the $7.5M head coach.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AW 1880
AG
The Reggie debates were much worse. McGee debates were pretty close as well. Thanks a lot Fran.
Bunk Moreland
C@LAg said:

Windy City Ag said:

because he was an overly and most assuredly selfish ****.

Lol. Pathetic take given the very toned down version we got from Hubenak about the whole situation.

I don't hold a damn thing against Kyle or Kyler. A coward of a coach refused to be a leader and talk to them honestly.
Whatthefunyo
C@LAg said:

Windy City Ag said:

Not really. Sumlin told him he would play. That is on him. KM was just cashing in on what he thought was owed to him.

It's a tragedy that Sumlin **** the bed so bad that we were stuck with Hubenak.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Not even close to the QBs between Bucky and Johnny
WhataMaroon88
AG
With the exception of a few years here and there, like Manziels two years, it's always pretty bad.

I remember many threads of "bench Tannehill" when I was a senior.
aggiepaintrain
AG
McGee and Tannehill were the only decent ones
after Bucky.
Tannehill should have started as a Sophmore, probably was our greatest receiver ever.
jagged
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Yes, the heisman winner, #1 pick, nfl starter.

That should tell you a lot about the "wisdom" of this board.
QB1
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

Lol you kidding? Polarizing? Manziel perhaps?? Manziel mobilized all of our expectations into thinking we actually deserved what we don't.

This - manziel = polarizing
BanderaAg956
C@LAg said:

Windy City Ag said:

Sumlin making deals with Kevin and Kyler and lying about it to Kyle was the biggest issue!
AGHouston11
AG
Yep I remember all the people who were glad Johnny M was leaving! Even his own coach who was glad to show everyone we were not just a one trick pony show!
Cy_Tolliver
Ol_Ag_02 said:

CptnTight said:

Aggies don't necessarily love Mond, they're just conditioned to not say anything bad about "our guy".

It was the same way with Fran and Sumlin. Some posters for the most part too.
. I would agree with this - posters don't want to criticize and attack others that do. The thing that I find ironic is those same posters launch some pretty vicious attacks against the oline. I get that the oline has sucked, but that doesn't make mond above any criticism.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

No one asked about his eventual resume. That is completely irrelevant. They asked who was polarizing.

Polarize

[plrz]
VERB
polarizing (present participle)

[ol]
  • divide or cause to divide into two sharply contrasting groups or sets of opinions or beliefs.
  • [/ol]
    Murray flirted with the Longhorns during recruitment causing a meltdown and his dad crapped all over the program on signing day, He triggered a season long ragey debate over him vs. Kyle Allen. We all got triggered thinking he was sliding intentionally. This place was basically arguing every day in support or against him.
    then went into the post-transfer "Screw Him" or "Sumlin Screwed Him" debate.

He was really, really polarizing.
    DallasAg 94
    jagged said:

Windy City Ag said:

The guy who quit on his team, in fear of facing Alabama.

I am not disappointed he left A&M. He and daddy are con-men. He is a talent for sure... but Kyle Allen was the one I felt bad for.
    Windy City Ag
    AG
    But I would agree the Manziel NFL meltdown was just as bad.

Everyone seems to know that Mond probably doesn't have the stuff to really lead the team and be a difference maker on the field, but he is our best option at the moment. That doesn't really compare in my mind.
    swc93
    AG
    I remember Jordan Peterson being ripped and protected for a couple years; I think mostly in 2010.
    Charlie Murphy
    Tate Pittman
    greg.w.h
    AG
    Given the notion that Jimbo is an offensive genius, a recruiting genius, and both Chavis and Elko were highly respected DCs before coming to Texas A&M, well...being barely 4-3 even if all three losses were to pretty good top 10 teams (at least after Auburn curb-stomped the same team that "played up" to us at JerryWorld) is not surprisingly not fun.

The best upside is a slightly unlikely 10-win season. The worst downside is probably a 5 or 6 win campaign. UTSA, Mississippi State, and Carolina remain our best bets for wins in roughly that order.

The lack of real bright spots is a bit troubling. The complete lack of a running back that can go downhill is probably the biggest issue that prevents dominating opponents. The Time of Possession last night once again fit Jimbo's strategy for keeping our defense protected with our 34:07 to their 25:53 or just over eight minutes more time controlling the ball. The third down efficiency for both teams was terrible (3-13 us, 4-16 them) and it made both teams look bad offensively which usually means the defenses weren't as bad as they might have seemed. And to a great extent the push on turnovers confirmed it was a good defensive effort that dominated the evening by both.

If our signature is a top 10 defense as we close out the year (32 total defense, 40 scoring defense currently), we should see scrappy, low-scoring affairs with modest offensive efforts by both teams. A traditional SEC contest. UTSA likely will be a looser, faster game offensively assuming we dominate the line on offense and defense.

Given all that and just a smidge of offensive progress, we could be in a good place by the bowl game. Particularly if LSU beats Bama and we beat LSU. Is it likely? Seems a little suspect at the moment.
    Double Diamond
    What would you like the head coach to do?
    ApachePilot
    AG
    Mond saying he was the best QB didn't help. Plus his body language on the sidelines. He has failed to improve as a passer. I don't enjoy watching him play.
    Bunk Moreland
    ApachePilot said:

Mond saying he was the best QB didn't help. Plus his body language on the sidelines. He has failed to improve as a passer. I don't enjoy watching him play.

1) So he should have said he's definitely not the best QB in the conference?

2) Citing 'body language on the sideline' is laughable.

3) He absolutely has improved as a psser.

4) finally you're honest with yourself. You simply don't like watching him play.
    Definitely Not A Cop
    AG
    There are people who are honest about what Mond can and can't do, and then there are people who don't understand football who bash him.

He's been our entire offense 3 out of the last 4 weeks. And the potbangers hate that, because they don't understand why they sound so ridiculous.
    Lateralus Ag
    AG
    Bunk Moreland said:

ApachePilot said:

4) finally you're honest with yourself. You simply don't like watching him play.

I think he meant he isn't fun to watch because he makes a lot of bad decisions. That was my take. I agree with that assessment. I cringe everytime he drops back and does that stutter step thing he does.

Cam Newton was fun to watch. JFF was fun to watch. Tua is fun to watch. McGee was fun to watch. Tannehill was fun to watch. Bucky was fun to watch.

Kellen, not so much. Granted, he gets no help from the Oline. Or his receivers. If he had some help he might be a little better. But he will never be the best in the SEC.
    30wedge
    Bunk Moreland said:

ApachePilot said:

He should not have said he was the best QB in the conference. But like his play on the field, he probably couldn't think fast enough to know how to avoid answering the question in that way. His body language on the sideline isn't what you would expect from a leader.
    Lateralus Ag
    AG
    Champ Bailey said:

There are people who are honest about what Mond can and can't do, and then there are people who don't understand football who bash him.

He's been our entire offense 3 out of the last 4 weeks. And the potbangers hate that, because they don't understand why they sound so ridiculous.

The fact that he has been our entire offense the last 3 or 4 weeks is what bothers me the most. That really isn't his fault. But he is being asked to carry a team and he just isn't that guy. Our record shows it.

So, does Jimbo just not have anyone else on the roster? Is Mond that much better than the next guy? If so, can we get a little help for the guy? Simplify some blocking schemes? Get Wydermeyer some more touches? Smith? Maybe use the designed run more? (I know we have the last few weeks, but when Mond runs he approaches being a playmaker, so let's do that more!)

That's the part I don't get.
    JW
    AG
    Not even close.
    fightinag
    Mond proclaiming that he is the best quarterback in the SEC was just plain ignorant.
    He may not even be the best quarterback on his own team...the most experienced Aggie qb yes, but the most talented qb...probably not.
    He's a Sumlin pick...........nuff said !
    NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
    monarch
    S
    In a different world, we don't lose seven NFL draft picks from last years team and they are all playing this year. With those guys around Mond, we are a way better team and he is a way better player.
    fightinag
    monarch said:

In a different world, we don't lose seven NFL draft picks from last years team and they are all playing this year. With those guys around Mond, we are a way better team and he is a way better player.
    How many did bama and lsu lose to the nfl ?
    sure hasn't hurt their qb play has it ?
    NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
    Bunk Moreland
    fightinag said:

monarch said:

How many did bama and lsu lose to the nfl ?
    sure hasn't hurt their qb play has it ?

Sigh. Do we have to do this exercise every week?

Bama recruiting classes:

2019: 1
    2018: 5
    2017: 1
    2016: 1
    2015: 1

LSU recruiting classes:

2019: 5
    2018: 15
    2017: 7
    2016: 2
    2015: 5

A&M recruiting classes:

2019: 4
    2018: 17
    2017:13
    2016: 18
    2015: 11

Lot easier to absorb losses of talent when you're consistently recruiting at an elite level.

We can't go back in time and rebuild the 2016 recruiting class. Gotta stack top 10 classes on top of each other year after year.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.