Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Refusal to adapt to players...

7,219 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beerad12man
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BrotherChad said:

gotsand said:

BrotherChad said:

Considering it took the NFL 30 years to realize the Air Raid worked and about 20 to realize spread and tempo worked , I'm convinced football is more of a "who you know" than "what you know" industry. I'm pretty sure there are other playbooks that work but aren't in vogue but the good ol' boy club at the moment. The thought that all these guys are football savants is ridiculous.

There are plenty of high schools coaches in Texas that are better developers of talent than anyone in the NFL and probably CFB. When given the opportunity and proper time to develop in CFB, look at how Art Briles did compared to the "flagships" in the state at the time.

I wouldn't say it's impossible there are people on this board with better insight than the good oles if given the same access to Practice as the insiders. #Food4Thought before you make these wonderful Ad Hominems.
I can't stop noticing 'how' Briles did (and continues to do) it.
I'd take Briles resume over Fran, Sherm, or Sumlin any day. Baggage included. You White Knights are lying if you're saying you wouldn't.

Hopefully Jimbo breaks the mold.

I'd rather lose every game then subject Aggie women to a culture of rape for football wins.

But that's just me.
Proposition Joe
I mean, I think we all feel that way... but we gave a $75m guaranteed contract to a guy whose lone national title centered around keeping Jameis Winston eligible so we're not exactly taking the absolute high road on our hires.
mitchdpm
AG
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

I love how posters think they know more than the coaches
Stoops won a NC with players recruited by one of the worse coaches ever to coach at OU (John Blake) in his second year.

How? Because he took the players he had and devised game plans that catered to their talents, not his system.

I'm so sick of this Stoops narrative! Yes, he won ONE national championship (in year two) and not another one EVER (as has been noted by very astute poster above!). Yes he won conference championships and bowl games , but with his recruits he won exactly ZERO MNC's.
T-Shizzle
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

Stoops won a NC with players recruited by one of the worse coaches ever to coach at OU (John Blake) in his second year.

How? Because he took the players he had and devised game plans that catered to their talents, not his system.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

We had chances at both Meyer and Briles. The question is whether prefer to "win the right way" or sell your soul.

Briles is a lawsuit waiting to happen. We would be defending them the next 20 years. Not feasible.

And back in 2002, Urban had 2 good years at BG. Lots of coaches win some games in the mid-majors. Half of them flop quickly at the show. Could we have hired him in 2011? If so, then we screwed up. I thought he was specifically interested in tOSU.
kthejoker
AG
Glad none of you are statisticians, doing such a poor job confusing correlation with causation.

Definitely not a fan of the man, but do you guys really think Briles couldn't've won at Baylor with squeaky clean athletes? Clearly it wasn't his players' criminality that gave him great on-the-field results.
Ifishandlie
AG
kthejoker said:

Glad none of you are statisticians, doing such a poor job confusing correlation with causation.

Definitely not a fan of the man, but do you guys really think Briles couldn't've won at Baylor with squeaky clean athletes? Clearly it wasn't his players' criminality that gave him great on-the-field results.

You don't have to be a statistician to understand Briles used kids that had been dismissed from other schools and players other schools wouldn't take.

They were good players. Not mullets that he coached up.

Art was 3-6 in bowl games and made a living beating up big 12 teams. He's not a "great coach". He was in a bad league
spongerob21
AG
alot of it is the players not adapting to jimbo's system. its been said alot but a majority of these players are still sumlin's guys that jimbo is having to work with. but as to why we dont give 1, 2, and 17 more targets per game is beyond me as well
JoeAggie5
Not sure about the screens, but Smith definitely needs to be more involved on offense.
oldschoolcat
AG
This is reason #1 that I would prefer we had an OC calling the plays. I have tried to coach kids flag football and call the plays and my brain goes into lock down mode. Too many things going on at once for my pea brain.

I sometimes wonder if Jimbo is concentrating on the "game" too much, and gets tunnel vision with his playbook.

Proposition Joe
Jimbo's (lack of) clock management should be proof that not everything he keeps on his plate he's handling well.
OkinTexas
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. This is what great coaches do. Well said.
OkinTexas
mitchdpm said:

APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

I'm so sick of this Stoops narrative! Yes, he won ONE national championship (in year two) and not another one EVER (as has been noted by very astute poster above!). Yes he won conference championships and bowl games , but with his recruits he won exactly ZERO MNC's.

He was extremely successful and I don't think anyone would trade him for someone else. He was inches away from several NCs.
Agsuffering@bulaw
One of my favorite Sherm moments was the comeback in '10. I do not like what I am about to say:

People take for granted today that Baylor makes bowls. Briles is the reason for that. They went over a decade without making a bowl before Briles.

He found and developed RGIII. He found and developed great offensive talent. By the end of his time at baylor, they were getting 4* WRs and QBs, but most of his players were projects

Yes, he had some real thugs on defense. Had Briles never brought in the thugs, he loses an additional game a year from 2010-2015 (they were so bad the first 2 years it wouldnt have mattered).

Wins over teams that finished ranked:

'11: tcu, ou
'12: kstate (game that won JFF the Heisman)
'13: ou
'14: tcu, kstate
'15: okie lte, UNC (with a RB playing QB)

He had twice that # of wins against teams with winning records. Hate him for being a bad man, but he won.
Indignitas
AG
Sumlin adapted his system, radically, to the players available in his first two years.

I understand it was a lot of fun, but can you remind me again how many NCs that got us?
czar_iv
AG
Indignitas said:

Sumlin adapted his system, radically, to the players available in his first two years.

I understand it was a lot of fun, but can you remind me again how many NCs that got us?

Actually I think Kingsbury did that. Sumlin recognizes and could recruit the talent and Kingsbury knew the offense. For college football, they needed each other.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Ifishandlie
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

One of my favorite Sherm moments was the comeback in '10. I do not like what I am about to say:

People take for granted today that Baylor makes bowls. Briles is the reason for that. They went over a decade without making a bowl before Briles.

He found and developed RGIII. He found and developed great offensive talent. By the end of his time at baylor, they were getting 4* WRs and QBs, but most of his players were projects

Yes, he had some real thugs on defense. Had Briles never brought in the thugs, he loses an additional game a year from 2010-2015 (they were so bad the first 2 years it wouldnt have mattered).

Wins over teams that finished ranked:

'11: tcu, ou
'12: kstate (game that won JFF the Heisman)
'13: ou
'14: tcu, kstate
'15: okie lte, UNC (with a RB playing QB)

He had twice that # of wins against teams with winning records. Hate him for being a bad man, but he won.

Art was 3/6 in bowl games against teams that didn't matter. He gets all this credit for taking a dumpster team and making them above average in the big 12.

He is only good because Baylor sucked before he got there.

Ask yourself this question after you look up how overall body of work...would you have been happy with those records at TAMU?

No you wouldn't. Again, he took thugs dismissed from other schools, kids no one else wanted and made Baylor respectable in a bad big 12.

Now he's coaching high school. He's not a great coach

Great coaches don't end up like that.
Aggie_Swag18
TexasLeaguer said:

WR Screens?!?!?! Pretty sure we used to have a coach who thought WR bubble screens were a good idea. Who was that?
WR screens are very effective. It's how you practice and how you execute that makes a difference. Look at the plays Mike Leach runs vs the plays we ran 2012 to 2014, or what Spavital runs at Texas State. Not a huge difference. The difference is Mike Leach dedicates his time to figuring out better ways to practice and increase reps for people.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
mitchdpm
AG
OkinTexas said:

mitchdpm said:

APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

He was extremely successful and I don't think anyone would trade him for someone else. He was inches away from several NCs.

Yes, as I noted. However, the narrative in this thread is adapting a system to work with the players you have. If that is what he did in his second year, why was it unrepeatable in any of the multiple years that followed? He had a great system, great coaches, great players (his players), a relatively easy path and yet no more national championships.
APHIS AG
Quote:

No you wouldn't. Again, he took thugs dismissed from other schools, kids no one else wanted and made Baylor respectable in a bad big 12.

Well, they did not call the University of Miami "Thug U." for nothing but the thing of it is, they won to include NC's and in the end, people will remember those five NC's and not "Thug U."
Aggie_Swag18
The air raid concepts have been in the NFL since the west coast offense. Hal Mumme and Mike Leach both consider what the Patriots run today closer to the air raid than what they ran under Charlie Weis when Brady started out.

Edit: Also the fact that you think the air raid is centered around "dual threat" quarterbacks tell me you don't know jack about the air raid.
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Art was 3/6 in bowl games against teams that didn't matter. He gets all this credit for taking a dumpster team and making them above average in the big 12.

He is only good because Baylor sucked before he got there.

Ask yourself this question after you look up how overall body of work...would you have been happy with those records at TAMU?

Now he's coaching high school. He's not a great coach

Great coaches don't end up like that.

1. Taking a doormat to an above average P5 program is a great accomplishment. Not many could have.

2. From '11-'15, he finished: 13, UR, 13, 7, 13. That is a heck of a lot better than Sumlin. But its an invalid question b/c its an apples to oranges comparison. We have a far bigger fanbase, have far better facilities, and play in a better conference.

He was using thugs on defense b/c he couldnt recruit great defensive players. He only recruited a few great offensive players, he developed the rest. It wasn't him, it was baylor. Most great athletes didnt want to go there. The few who did were QBs and WRs b/c of his reputation developing them.

Sumlin was actually able to recruit a few good defensive players.

3. I already dealt with this. Any NCAA program hiring him would never see the end of lawsuits. All the other coaches who paid athletes are not valid comparisons b/c rape is a different level than NCAA violations.
30wedge
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

aggieclay
I'd like to see Preston moved to RB. Dude must see the field.
GodsPlan9618
Watch the games. Starters run wrong routes, take on wrong blocking assignments etc. It's something else going on that's keeping those youngsters off the field.
GodsPlan9618
aggieclay said:

I'd like to see Preston moved to RB. Dude must see the field.

The young man is very gifted. He can play multiple positions. When they decide to give him his opportunity you will see what I know. Right now they choose who they want to shine. Remember this kid scored aTD the first time he ever touched the ball for A&M game 1 last year. Didn't see him again after that play. I actually think there is a bigger picture than what we are seeing on why we are not subbing in these known playmakers.
Spyderman
AG
lil_frog8 said:

I understand that you have a system and want to plan for the future etc. but why does Jimbo refuse to just get the ball in the hands of playmakers and minimize the weaknesses? If our line can't block long enough for mouse to fart then why run play action. We should do nothing but Wr screens to Ainas Smith and Wysermeyr on the seems
I think the fact that we are now allowing Mond to run more is adapting....to a lack of an OL.
schmendeler
AG
i'm a little confused how someone could watch the games and not recognize that we are working around our talent.
beerad12man
AG
Perfectly fine with a little shady. You need to get a little nasty in college football.

Not fine with Art Briles.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.