Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Refusal to adapt to players...

7,194 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beerad12man
lil_frog8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I understand that you have a system and want to plan for the future etc. but why does Jimbo refuse to just get the ball in the hands of playmakers and minimize the weaknesses? If our line can't block long enough for mouse to fart then why run play action. We should do nothing but Wr screens to Ainas Smith and Wysermeyr on the seems
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
monarch
S
Wysermeyr?

Oh yeah; that guy.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
I love me the **** out of some wysermeyr. Best player on the whole ****ing team.
chipotle
No! Must. Wait. 4. Years!
vander54
S
I love how posters think they know more than the coaches
Post removed:
by user
BrotherChad
AG
Considering it took the NFL 30 years to realize the Air Raid worked and about 20 to realize spread and tempo worked , I'm convinced football is more of a "who you know" than "what you know" industry. I'm pretty sure there are other playbooks that work but aren't in vogue but the good ol' boy club at the moment. The thought that all these guys are football savants is ridiculous.

There are plenty of high schools coaches in Texas that are better developers of talent than anyone in the NFL and probably CFB. When given the opportunity and proper time to develop in CFB, look at how Art Briles did compared to the "flagships" in the state at the time.

I wouldn't say it's impossible there are people on this board with better insight than the good oles if given the same access to Practice as the insiders. #Food4Thought before you make these wonderful Ad Hominems.
TexasLeaguer
AG
WR Screens?!?!?! Pretty sure we used to have a coach who thought WR bubble screens were a good idea. Who was that?
technoviking
AG
BrotherChad said:

Considering it took the NFL 30 years to realize the Air Raid worked and about 20 to realize spread and tempo worked , I'm convinced football is more of a "who you know" than "what you know" industry. I'm pretty sure there are other playbooks that work but aren't in vogue but the good ol' boy club at the moment. The thought that all these guys are football savants is ridiculous.

There are plenty of high schools coaches in Texas that are better developers of talent than anyone in the NFL and probably CFB. When given the opportunity and proper time to develop in CFB, look at how Art Briles did compared to the "flagships" in the state at the time.

I wouldn't say it's impossible there are people on this board with better insight than the good oles if given the same access to Practice as the insiders. #Food4Thought before you make these wonderful Ad Hominems.
Sparkie
AG
vander54 said:

Welcome back Fran! Hope you had the Oklahoma 's ***** tattoo taken off your back.
technoviking
AG
Sparkie said:

vander54 said:

Welcome back Fran! Hope you had the Oklahoma 's ***** tattoo taken off your back.

1/10. 1 for inappropriately capitalized letters.
APHIS AG
vander54 said:

Stoops won a NC with players recruited by one of the worse coaches ever to coach at OU (John Blake) in his second year.

How? Because he took the players he had and devised game plans that catered to their talents, not his system.
spherical
AG
BrotherChad said:

Considering it took the NFL 30 years to realize the Air Raid worked and about 20 to realize spread and tempo worked ,.

The Air Raid works in the NFL about once every 5 years for at most one season. Then it gets figured out and put away until the next time a "dual threat" is drafted way too high.
Joe Exotic
AG
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

Stoops won a NC with players recruited by one of the worse coaches ever to coach at OU (John Blake) in his second year.

How? Because he took the players he had and devised game plans that catered to their talents, not his system.

Considering he was a coordinator before taking the OU job he had no system to force them in.
TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81
vander54 said:

We occasionally like to be proven otherwise.
levypantsEOY
vander54 said:

I love how quick you are to jump on and defend and critique whatsoever on Jimbo. You're a real "next year" kinda guy, huh?
eATMup-Reveille
BrotherChad said:

I speculate that much of the success of the spread offense at the collegiate level is attributable to the desire of fans and media to see a lot of scoring. As a result, the officiating has changed dramatically to allow much more freedom for the receivers due to the increased restrictions on what the defense is able to do. This has also carried over into the NFL, where it is virtually impossible to see consecutive drives that don't have a penalty called on a defensive player attempting to make a play on a a receiver, or tight end.
Joe Exotic
AG
levypantsEOY said:

vander54 said:

I love how quick you are to jump on and defend and critique whatsoever on Jimbo. You're a real "next year" kinda guy, huh?

If you're not preparing for and making decisions for tomorrow you're a ****ing loser.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
BrotherChad said:

I can't stop noticing 'how' Briles did (and continues to do) it.
ABATTBQ87
AG
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

Do you mean Mike Leach's crazy offensive scheme?
vander54
S
levypantsEOY said:

vander54 said:

Love it sip.
TxAg76
AG
BrotherChad said:

Considering it took the NFL 30 years to realize the Air Raid worked

What makes u think it's "worked" in the NFL?
CrottyKid
AG
There's a lot more to playing receiver than running fast and catching the ball. You have to know what to run. In a complicated offense like Jimbo's, a receiver sometimes needs to read the defense and adjust his route accordingly. Not only does the receiver need to be right about this, but he has to come to the same conclusion as the quarterback. I don't know whether it's the case or not, but maybe the guys who are playing do a better job in practice of understanding where they are supposed to be and at what time to be there than some of the younger guys. You can't just throw a fast guy out there if he doesn't know where to go. Going the wrong way fast doesn't help.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

You completely made this up to fit your narrative. Read about Josh Heupel's recruiting visit to OU. He spent most of the time talking with Leach so he could learn Leach's system.

He won because Blake could recruit and Leach's offense was too new for old school coaches in the Big 12.
Ifishandlie
AG
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

Lol. He never won another NC. Why couldn't he win a nc with HIS players?

Why?
Because it's hard. That's why. He got lucky with his schedule and everything aligned perfectly for ou that year

Tango_Mike
vander54 said:

I'm certain you've never given your "expert" opinion about the government, the police, road crews, economists, teachers, stock traders, landscape dudes, trash guys, truckers, etc.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Read about Josh Heupel's recruiting visit to Tech. He spent most of the time talking with Leach so he could learn Leach's system.
Don't you mean OU? Mike Leach and Heupel were part of the Sooners in 1999 before Leach left in 2000 to take over Tech.
aggiebrad94
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Quote:

Read about Josh Heupel's recruiting visit to Tech. He spent most of the time talking with Leach so he could learn Leach's system.
Don't you mean OU? Mike Leach and Heupel were part of the Sooners in 1999 before Leach left in 2000 to take over Tech.
Yes, thank you. My fingers auto type Tech anytime they see Leach
Agsuffering@bulaw
Most of the "play-action" is RPO. RPO is exactly should be called regularly on 1st and 2nd down.

Give Jimbo some credit:

1. Jimbo's preference is to go 2TE or TE&FB. Beal was hurt. We got in the I the first possession in the redzone. I dont remember much else. Jimbo didnt waste plays in the middle of the field with TEs and FBs who cant block enough. A lot of playcallers would have.

2. Myself and others wanted to quit on the TE and just go 4WR. Jimbo hung in there with Wydermeyer. IF Wydermeyer keeps it up, it changes how Jimbo can call plays.
BrotherChad
AG
gotsand said:

BrotherChad said:

I'd take Briles resume over Fran, Sherm, or Sumlin any day. Baggage included. You White Knights are lying if you're saying you wouldn't.

Hopefully Jimbo breaks the mold.
Ifishandlie
AG
BrotherChad said:

gotsand said:

BrotherChad said:

I'd take Briles resume over Fran, Sherm, or Sumlin any day. Baggage included. You White Knights are lying if you're saying you wouldn't.

Hopefully Jimbo breaks the mold.

I'm not lying and I wouldn't take Briles for any wins..

If we can't win without rape, I'll take losing.

Kinda shocked anyone thinks like that

halfastros81
AG
Absolutely true that Stoops won a NC with Blake's players but Blake was a good recruiter and a terrible organizer. Stoops had much more talent than A & M does relative to the teams on their respective schedules.

Sumlin was an ok recruiter and coach. Not top
Of the heap but not terrible either. He was better than Blake from a coaching perspective. This A & M team is middle of the road SEC talent wise and the performance reflects it. The places where the A & M talent is shy and/or inexperienced are glaring especially when you play teams like Bama and Clemson that don't have those holes in the roster. It's not going to turn around overnight.
MaroonStain
AG
APHIS AG said:

vander54 said:

How many transfers did Stoops bring in?
greg.w.h
AG
We had chances at both Meyer and Briles. The question is whether prefer to "win the right way" or sell your soul.

I'll be honest: college football always has been a bit shady.

For instance: I met the SMU tight end that got them the death penalty. He was dating a woman where I worked. Seemed up and up. His girlfriend was a very special young lady that seemed unlikely to willingly choose to do something wrong or to hang with the wrong crowd.

After the news came out, I asked her if it was true. She teared up and couldn't answer me. The worst thing by far that he did in my opinion wasn't cheating. It was disappointing her.

Don't remember the story?? While I recommend not taking the claims at face value, a property owner with a spare apartment that he let a player use is all pretty innocent until you actually think through the effort the NCAA puts into making shamateurism work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1986/11/15/smu-football-player-is-suspended/c3ae9f7b-5fd5-4027-beee-0d74e49b7a03/

Btw: remember why Cain Hall got repurposed?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-03-23-9703230048-story.html
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.