Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Key to Enjoying the College Football Season Every Year

13,554 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by northeastag
Scotty Appleton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chipotle said:

It just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!!!!

We'll see. But, the real excitement, of course, is gonna come at the end of the summer, uh, during Sexual Awareness Week. We import 200 hookers from around the world, and each camper, armed with only a thermos of coffee and $2,000 cash, tries to visit as many countries as he can and the winner, of course, is named King of Sexual Awareness Week and is allowed to rape and pillage the neighboring towns until camp ends.
McAg99
AG
I have very similar philosophies as OP, as it relates to our beloved Aggie Football team.. I think it's sad that kids nowadays are so eager to quit on this team. WTF are people tripping out about!? We have lost to two #1's and a#7??

Support this team...if you're having a hard time controlling your emotions, take a step back. Doesn't mean you love the team any less.

Yes, I believe there is some weird curse of something with Aggie Football... We are snakebite.... However I firmly believe we have the right coach. I really don't think anyone who knows anything about what's really going on in the program, insiders, are scared or feeling like we're not headed for big things...

if you didn't see it toughness and our team on Saturday that wasn't there seven or eight years ago, then you're not watching. The physicality, the confidence, don't hold it against Fisher & company for overachieving last year. keep everything in perspective or do like OP does, take a step back and try to find a way to enjoy it again, your Saturday and Aggie football
Jimbo4win
AG
I agree. Over the summer, I went through each game on the schedule, came to terms with 7-5 or 6-6 and staying calm through it all..I have taken the same attitude with politics. Does it really deserve to take up so much space in our minds? 70 year olds fighting it out for temporary power..it really is Hilarious..Just another form of entertainment..
halfastros81
AG
It's a lot less frustrating if you take OP's approach and I have gradually moved in that direction but I still find it impossible to not care and I still find myself at or watching every stinking down of every stinking game unless there's some compelling reason I can't.

schmellba99
AG
Same here OP.

I used to get absolutely rabidly wound up over the season, and ended up in crushing defeat and disappointment each and every year. As I get older, I simply have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter as much and that there are other things that are far better ways to spend my time - and it keeps my blood pressure down and my enjoyment up.

When we start playing bad, I turn the channel to another game. I mow the yard. The last few years I've spent more time at the deer lease where I don't have a TV and have things that are fun to do that occupy my time.

It's refreshing. I mean, it still sucks knowing deep down that I'll be one of the several hundred thousand Ags that live their entire lives devoid of seeing A&M on top of the CFB world, but that's our lot in life I suppose and it is what it is. My enjoyment of the season has gone up tremendously over the last couple of years as a result, even with sub-stellar football on the field.
rgag12
AG
Nothing wrong with what the OP said. However I do question how much not caring is going on when clearly you cared enough to log on to an Aggie football fan site and type out 200-300 words about not caring.

Seems to me if you We're really cured of your Aggie fandom you'd go about your life doing the things you do daily that you deem important and it not even cross your mind to go to a football fan site.
sharpdressedman
My group views Aggie games as social gatherings, with what happens on the field being only incidental to our pleasure.

It's been that way for years. We don't relate to the players anymore and recognize the coaches are bought by the highest bidder and guaranteed huge amounts of money with no performance criteria.

Aggie football has become a good excuse to party, nothing more.
Whistle Jock
AG
Hell I'm 78 years old. There are very few "Next years" left for me. My father, Class of '32, told me that the Aggie Football team will be great when they can match the love and unbridled enthusiasm if the 12TH Man. In his time , he saw a NC in 1939. Well, the year he died we wone the Big 12. I may have seen A&M's best in the 90s but I'll stick with my high hopes until the end, until the team can appreciate those in the stands that come to see them play.
"They exchanged their lives in a hope for this future we now inhabit. Though the fight took place many years ago and even today, each of us remains as a living part of it."

Jarrin' Jay
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Bunch of drama queens in this thread. It doesn't have to go from I was obsessed with Aggie football to I don't even watch the games. Those aren't Aggie fans and why are you on Texags. I watch the games, go to a couple per year, get excited when they win, but don't let the outcome dictate my mood. Bunch of whipped guys posting in here who don't watch football anymore. Congrats Nancy, I'm sure your wife is happy.

This x 10000000000000000%!

PS - my wife is still not happy I go to 3 home games a year (1 w/ her and kids) and a road trip, would prefer it to be 2 home and 1 road, but she accepts it and deals with it, as it used to be 7 home games a year and a road trip...

It is ENTERTAINMENT!!!! Yes you can be a donor and stakeholder (I am both) but at the end of the day it is entertainment

Doesn't mean you can't have higher aspirations and goals for the program and the team, but the losses we have this year it's not like we lost to San Jose State, Kansas and Oregon State....

Jarrin' Jay
AG
You should still watch every game if at all possible and support the team and the program, just don't let an L ruin your day or weekend and realize you had nothing to do with a W.

Turning the channel, doing chores, etc., just because we are losing is just weak... how would you ever survive as a Tech or Pig fan?!?!?!?!
Aston04
AG
BrotherChad said:

Lack of testosterone in this thread. Beta Male AF. Your comfortable lives with your fat wives and your spoiled children have made y'all weak.

weve sucked for all but 2 years of 20 I've been a fan. The bottom line is football is entertainment (or not) . I'm just learning to prioritize my weekends away from football, finally. Not worth it watching us get hammered week after week.
Joe Exotic
AG
You have a weird definition of "suck".
Aston04
AG
Maybe dissapointing is a better word to describe it.
Post removed:
by user
TellMeMore
Been to The Grove? Historic, and brilliant. Packed every home game, outcome on the field does not matter. The experience is The Grove, not the game. They sell out the hotels, people have been coming for generations, and Who Won the Game? Who cares. Replicate that, there really is nothing else like it. And they figured it out a long time ago.
spherical
AG
I get the OP's sentiment, but I just don't get the all or nothing approach. It took me a while to get there (having a kid helped) but I think it's possible to enjoy our team without letting the soul crushing losses ruin my weekend or week...

Class of '04- we never beat the sips and lost to OU 77-0
AgfromHOU
AG
All I care about nowadays regarding college football is just watching the Ags play, but I don't get upset about losses. I'll proudly wear my ring (all the time) and Aggie gear around town (some of the time) whether we win or lose. We just had a baby 6 months ago and that really changes perspective. Still hope like hell she goes to A&M in 18 years!

I would much rather donate to the Association of Former Students, which funds Aggie rings and the student organization I met my wife in, than the 12th Man Foundation. I know my tag shows, but it's been a few years since I made that mistake.
zephyr88
AG
Here's my key...

sail33or
AG
This post is very good so I must post something.

College football fans have passion bias so most can not see the simple truth that College Football has stabalized (at least for the time being) into an unfair advantage for the same top 6 teams that make the playoffs every year.

The sports talk shows talk 24/7 about those teams because playoffs seem to be everything. Gameday, the focus is on games with impact to the playoffs. Who will be number 1....

Therefore any recruit that is a 5 star will want to go to one of the BIG 6 elites. More exposure, more everything,

In fact there is a pecking order even for the top 6. Bama will always be first choice, Clemson 2nd, etc.

Since A&M will never be in the hunt for Playoffs (they have to beat 2-3 elites every year to do that) they are not going to get as many blue chippers as Bama. The great players in Texas go to Okla, Bama, etc. Then the rest are spread out among the zillions of major teams in Texas. (Bama has 2 Teams.)

Jimbo is now learning this. Yes, he is rich, rich, rich but I bet he knows his legacy will be one National Championship at Florida State when they were an elite due to Bobby Bowden and a failure at A&M. You know Bama has the largest staff and budget just to evaluate recruits, monitor them, communicate with them, etc.

If winning was about fans, traditions, spirit, etc. A&M would have a chance. But as you saw Saturday, it is about 11 big fast guys versus 11 average, okay nice guys each and every down.

EclipseAg
AG
ExPeterKeating said:

Ive been sucked up into the Band Parent system, and spent sixteen hours with other parents driving one of the trucks and moving an ocean of equipment back and forth to a 6A marching competition yesterday for my daughter's high school band.
Enjoy those days ... they go by fast! When your kids are grown, you'll be back watching football and grumbling. Like me.
beerad12man
AG
oysterbayAG said:

Brandon leone's comment says it all to anyone watching the game. " They have about 15 true difference makers. We have about 3 " Jimbo has proven he is capable of winning a NC. It's going to take time to get and develop those " 15 true difference makers "
They may even have more than that. About 16-18 of their 22 back ups would start for us. If you listed the top 50 players between Bama, Auburn, Clemson, and Us, you'd probably have about 25 for Bama, 10-15 for Clemson, 6-8 for auburn, and 4-6 for us.

The goal, IMHO, is by 2021, that list looks about like this. 20 for bama, 10-15 for clemson, 6-8 for Auburn, and 10-15 for us. With classes like 2019, and if we close 2020 strong, that's entirely possible.

But damn do we need to close out recruiting strong. Chris Morris, Ty'Kieast Crawford, Dontae Manning, Antonio Doyle, Brian George, Omari Thomas, Donell Harris, Devon Achane, Zach Evans, EJ Smith, Garrett Hayes, a JUCO OL. About 6-7 of those guys.
beerad12man
AG
As for the OP, to each their own, but I can handle the disappointment of a loss. I'd rather remain positive, keep expectations high, and then deal with the disappointment. I can do so without it ruining my weekend. But I sure as hell get happier and feel like I will enjoy the good times much more than those that aren't as emotionally invested. Maybe not, but it feels that way.

And this is coming from a guy that was merely hoping we'd get to 8-4 this year and said I wouldn't be shocked at anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3. Though looking back 9-3 was a bit aggressive. I predicted 8-4 or 9-3 if everything went perfectly, but I was pretty worried going into this season about how many holes we had, how many unknowns we had, how little depth and proven experience we still had, against one of the top 2-3 hardest schedules in the country. If not the hardest.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
If you're right, our only hope is to step up our bag man game big time.
merch
If it ever gets to the point I don't care, I won't watch. I hope this never happens. Sure it can hurt less as you mature and perhaps as you get used to being average. But I hope to always have a healthy passion for Aggie football.

It looks like some claim to already be at this point. I call bull on those claims. Unless you expect me to believe you don't watch but you feel the need to post on this forum. Not likely. That doesn't add up.

Hard to get excited about something you invest no time in. So we follow recruiting and events week to week during the season. We don't just turn the game on and ask "I guess Spiller beat out that kid that was starting at the beginning of the year? We should put that other kid in, spiller has been putting the ball on the ground and doesn't look that fast."

Most people on here are just upset but they don't believe what they profess.
zipp99
AG
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." (Albert Einstein)

turboboost
AG
DVR
If we win = watch
If we lose = delete

Weekend saved
Builder93
AG
My grandfather used to say, "Don't be a fanatic! Nobody likes a fanatic!"

The older I get the more I think he was right.
12gigem12
This is the approach I need to take. I'm sick and tired of getting let down every.single.year.
A New Hope
levypantsEOY said:

I totally agree. I'm not there yet but it's looking that way. Watching the fanboy/ sunshine pumpers on here during the preseason has gotten to be more entertaining than annoying.
I don't care so much about winning half our games and playing in some crappy bowl. It is what it is.
You're a sip.

You've never posted a single pro Aggie message. And for the last month while sippie has imploded, you've gone awol.

unimboti nkum
AG
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
BanderaAg956
I still have expectations - 7-5 with no bad blowouts, be in every game until the end.

So much for being in all five losses and not getting blown out. I stopped yelling at the TV, stopped changing tshirts when the opposition scores, stopped hoping for excellence!

Now I just hope to avoid embarrassment! So much for that this next month!

Texas Bowl here we come. Being beaten down by tu will be the supreme embarrassment this year!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Reno Hightower
I have found the place that OP speaks of with Aggie basketball (men's & women's) and with softball. It has been much more difficult to get there with football and baseball.
Seamaster
AG
The funny thing at this point is watching all the guys that are true believers in Jimbo's rebuilding and say they're not concerned by this season because it was mostly Sumlin's guys.....

Ok.

So bookmark this thread for October 2020 and remind yourselves of the key to enjoying Aggie football when we're get again fighting for 4th in the SEC West.
TexasLeaguer
AG
Dear Aggie Football,

terata
AG
Good points, Seamaster. I've realized that A&M is not an elite school, academically, or athletically and never will be one. Just sit back, hope for the best, roll with the disappointments and let it all go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.