Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

ESPN - Jimbo and 'The Process'

13,049 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
TheWoodsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[url]https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27806629/texas-searching-answers-alabama-comes-town[/url]

I know many won't want to hear the reasons behind our struggles or what's in front of us, but I thought it was a good read.

Quote:

"We want results as fast as everybody else does," Fisher told ESPN this week, "but we're going to keep the process of what we're doing and doing it right.

"Everybody wants it tomorrow, and I do, too."

Quote:

"It's just frustrating when you put in all this work and you don't come out on Saturdays," Ausbon said. "You only get 12 opportunities to put it on the film. ... These opportunities don't last forever, so you've got to make the most of them."

Quote:

In the Aggies' losses to Clemson and Auburn, Mond attempted 42 and 49 passes, respectively. Since Fisher arrived, the Aggies are 1-4 when Mond attempts at least 40 passes and 11-2 when he throws it fewer than 40 times (for good measure, they're 9-0 in the Fisher era when Mond has fewer than 30 pass attempts).

Quote:

The defense, which took a huge step forward last season, has been solid but far from perfect. Defensive tackle Bobby Brown III lamented the mental mistakes against Clemson, noting that the defensive line alone had 20 missed assignments. Against Auburn, "our eyes got lazy" against the Tigers' misdirection and the Aggies didn't respond accordingly.

Quote:

The program's young in how we do things and the culture we're creating and creating the mentality to win and understand how to win and all the little things that go with it," Fisher told ESPN. "That's an educational process. ... And I think we're right on track with where we're going."
Several veteran players have admitted that some of the younger players on the A&M roster are still adjusting to how Fisher and his staff want things done.
"At what point are we going to decide that every play it's important for each guy to do their part and do their assignment?" Ausbon said. "It's not rocket science. It's really just a matter of coming out and doing it."

Quote:

Until the Aggies are in the playoff conversation, Fisher's 10-year deal will likely become similar fodder.
Fisher understands that and says it doesn't bother him.
"That's what people are gonna say," he said. "I understand why they say it. I don't hold that against them. I'm not mad. I get it. I want to be successful, too. But the process to win is a process."

OK, you are now free to go back to arguing with one another about who yells more (or used to yell more), what Kirk Herbstreit says about us in a car at 2 in the morning and how bad you think Kellen Mond is or is it the OL who can't block or the WRs who can't catch?

BTHO Bama
Alpha Texan
AG
Textbook post for texags, OP. All the good quotes without having to click. Someone give this man a medal.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
Solid article. Thanks for posting.
EKG1996
AG
I'd like to know what Kirk and his little buddies were doing out at 2am??

NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER MIDNIGHT
turboboost
AG
4 said:

I bet a super hot lady Aggie turned him down thus creating the "why all the Aggie hype" rant.
PyriteAg
AG
Great article by ESPN. Great thread by OP.

It's a good reminder that we're unfortunately gonna have to wait for Fisher to build his program up first. I know a lot of us are itching for a breakout season, but we're gonna have to wait it out for now.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Thread of the year by far!!! Thanks OP!
Ifishandlie
AG
Best zoo article in a long time. People don't want to wait but it's necessary.

Thanks op
general ulysses
AG
2016 and 2017 15 4*
2018 and 2019 27 4*

Give him time
WhereItsWarm
AG
Outstanding article and post.
Post removed:
by user
Sparkie
AG
Quote:

"Looking back at the last game, I was encouraged by the kicking game. We made up some hidden yardage in that aspect of the game... #Fran
aggiedad7
Of course when Mond is throwing 40+ it means
1) we can't run the ball
2) we're behind

Of course we're going to lose those games. It's not like we want to throw 40+ a game.
TopoTacos
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Sam Khan is probably the best journalist employed at ESPN

ESPN sometimes seems hell-bent on jettisoning all their journalists, but I'm glad Sam is still on payroll, he's got consistently great pieces on college football
BQ-ESQ99
AG
That's a lot to process.
I support Fisher.

But, every coach in America says the same things:

- buy in....
- culture...
- process...

SARATOGA
Hopefully the process of the 10 year contract is to get a stable of 4 and 5 start Offensive Lineman sooner rather than later. Recruit Recruit Recruit, JUCO JUCO JUCO

We need help, bigger, more athletic fellas in the trenches.
Hehateme1
4 said:

They were gonna pick up a couple more guys and go see Mark May.
rootube
AG
You realize that the clicks pay the salary for the guy who went to the trouble of writing the article right?
Goro Majima
AG
33 said:

I support Fisher.

- buy in....
- culture...
- process...

Yes, but in our case, it's especially true. A&M football is like a consistent B or C student that has the capability and resources to be an A student.
NyAggie
AG
It's a process, sometimes taking longer than others, just have to make sure we are getting the players necessary for the process to work to optimum design
swc93
AG
Click it once for me then.
schmendeler
AG
I don't have a problem with people being pessimistic about the rest of this season. that's perfectly reasonable. what I don't get is people that think jimbo will never get it done. I think that's just fear and panicking (BAS). he's shown that he is a great coach. just give it some more time before proclaiming him to be done.
TheWoodsAg
AG
rootube said:

You realize that the clicks pay the salary for the guy who went to the trouble of writing the article right?
That's why I posted the link.
aglaes
AG
schmendeler said:

I don't have a problem with people being pessimistic about the rest of this season. that's perfectly reasonable. what I don't get is people that think jimbo will never get it done. I think that's just fear and panicking (BAS). he's shown that he is a great coach. just give it some more time before proclaiming him to be done.
It's just difficult to maintain the momentum in recruiting when the results down come faster or improvement from 1 season to the next is not apparent.

It "seems" that we are not doing quite as well competing with tu/OU/LSU in recruiting for 2020/21 classes as it "seemed" we were doing for 2018/19. But I don't follow recruiting, so comment is based purely on what I see here on Texags.

We have however seen other coaches/programs hire big name coach and end up taking 3/4 seasons or longer to really start seeing results - Sherrill era and Swinney at Clemson are 2 good examples.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Coaches get 4 years, unless a year 3 implosion. Fine. I just hate the timing of the article.

It sounds like "managing expectations" before Bama takes it to us. Jimbo probably thought this team would be better. Otherwise, they would have begun "managing expectations" in mid August.

Vs SWTS, Mond looked like a different QB and the secondary covered. The LBs looked solid and the DL looked physical. The OL looked shaky. I wanted to believe they hadn't gelled yet. I thought 9-3 was a legit possibility.

At least the AD is proactively getting ahead of the news cycle. It just sucks that it was necessary.

Alpha Texan
AG
SARATOGA said:

Hopefully the process of the 10 year contract is to get a stable of 4 and 5 start Offensive Lineman sooner rather than later. Recruit Recruit Recruit, JUCO JUCO JUCO

We need help, bigger, more athletic fellas in the trenches.
Start with the line. That's what the cowboys did to make Demarco Murray look like an elite RB.
ravingfans
AG
Thanks OP--really nice article and great job summarizing for us!

Everybody, would be great to click through to give Sam his due...
Goro Majima
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Coaches get 4 years, unless a year 3 implosion. Fine. I just hate the timing of the article.

It sounds like "managing expectations" before Bama takes it to us. Jimbo probably thought this team would be better. Otherwise, they would have begun "managing expectations" in mid August.

Vs SWTS, Mond looked like a different QB and the secondary covered. The LBs looked solid and the DL looked physical. The OL looked shaky. I wanted to believe they hadn't gelled yet. I thought 9-3 was a legit possibility.

At least the AD is proactively getting ahead of the news cycle. It just sucks that it was necessary.

Jimbo in August: "I don't get the hype."

Also Jimbo in August: Cut a practice short because he was so disappointed by the lack of effort.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Quote:

In the Aggies' losses to Clemson and Auburn, Mond attempted 42 and 49 passes, respectively. Since Fisher arrived, the Aggies are 1-4 when Mond attempts at least 40 passes and 11-2 when he throws it fewer than 40 times (for good measure, they're 9-0 in the Fisher era when Mond has fewer than 30 pass attempts).

I feel like this is because we throw the ball in games more that we are already losing and trying to come back from. Whereas when we get a lead we can run it more. Maybe thats what the author intended to illustrate, but it seemed to me he was insinuating monds passing is a liability
rootube
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

rootube said:

I didn't mean to refer to you. I was mainly referring to this gem.
Quote:

Textbook post for texags, OP. All the good quotes without having to click. Someone give this man a medal.
That 70+ people felt strongly enough to star and probably not bother to click on Sam's link. The irony is that they are all likely non-subscriber cheapskates like myself who enjoy free content. Oh well, I'm sure it will all be behind a paywall soon Disney/ESPN likes money like the rest of us.
Turf96
33 said:

I support Fisher.

- buy in....
- culture...
- process...

Why would that be? Could it be because for a team to be successful they all need to work to a common goal? Could it be the successful programs the coach is admired by his players or if not they leave?

Every coach in America should say these exact things. Problem is every coach in America isn't right about the game plan or process and it shows. I believe jimbo is the right guy finally.

He is first coach since Jackie to want to be a full on team with killer instinct. RC, which I loved, was all about defense and ball control. Very little balance. Fran well not sure what he was about other than check cashing. Sherm was more my kind of guy but wasn't a killer mentality in pros or college but was a killer talent evaluator. Sumlim was all about spread and chunk as fast as you can.

To me fisher is our first let's do it all and do it all good and never let up guy since Jackie. I look forward to the future. If we lose several of the crybaby fans along the way we have culled the herd. That isn't ever a bad thing just painful while it happens. You and I do nothing but spend money and follow. Really need to cool the we deserve this championship or that. This is for the coaches and players. When you realize this your life is much more enjoyable. I root for them but if they win it all I won't feel one bit like I won anything. I don't like them losing but when they do I don't hurt like they do. We need to get the fan thing in perspective and keep it that way.

For me I like what I see from Jimbo. When we started this season we said it would be a tough year. After a few hype articles about if this happens or that happens we could make playoffs and now we suck. Other than Arkansas game this season is very much where I saw us being after losing what we lost last year. I still see a great future ahead. If we get a recruit or two and they all buy into system we may be ahead of where I saw us next year. Only concern I have on entire team is o line. I didn't think his last o line was that good and I don't see it here. Wish Turner was still here. Think in order for us to get good in jimbos system we have the bodies. Don't know that we have that nasty about us. Hope we get the kid that likes us and Arkansas. He plays with a little extra chip from the video I saw. Wish o line would get nasty in run game. Play like the guy across from you just winked at your momma.
TheWoodsAg
AG
rootube said:

TheWoodsAg said:

rootube said:

I didn't mean to refer to you. I was mainly referring to this gem.
Quote:

That 70+ people felt strongly enough to star and probably not bother to click on Sam's link. The irony is that they are all likely non-subscriber cheapskates like myself who enjoy free content. Oh well, I'm sure it will all be behind a paywall soon Disney/ESPN likes money like the rest of us.
I appreciate the fact he has more blue stars for his post appreciating my post. Texags gonna Texags. And I'm sure plenty of people are clicking on the link. I literally posted 5 quotes form a really long article. If you didn't click on the link you missed out on a lot of really good stuff.
OKC~Ag
schmendeler said:

IDK if fisher is a "great" coach...take us to championship and win it all...than he is great coach.

I like jimbo, I think he I smart and motivated coach. More importantly he is recruiting well. Keep on recruiting top 10, Jimbo has chance to get us there...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.