Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Southwest Classic tickets

6,797 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Matsui
Cyber5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to road trip over to Arlington for the Southwest classic. I've never been to that game before, but I've noticed in the past few years watching that game on tv that there are plenty of empty seats, so I was wondering if you can buy cheap tickets on game day or if it's better to just buy some now off of seat geek.
HelloUncleNateFitch
Lack of cheap seats is a big factor in why you see so many empty seats.
Alpha Texan
AG
There willn't be cheap seats. Student seats, which are supposed to be discounted and also in the top deck behind the endzone, were running like $85. If you're gonna drop big money on a game not at Kyle, go to a true away game and experience their campus, and gameday culture.
Jock 07
AG
this "classic" can't die soon enough. Get this **** back on campus where it belongs.
Post removed:
by user
jokershady
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

whats the story? are we just never going to go back to not playing arky in jerryworld?

i kniw we signed some extension.

its almost as bad as the bevel
We'll find out in 2024....
Saint Pablo
I'd bet you can probably get stuff cheaper on gameday, it looks pretty expensive on Stubhub right now.

That being said, I disagree with the other posters and have really enjoyed experiencing that game at Jerryworld. It is a nice atmosphere, it will be a nice 2 degrees instead of 95, and that stadium truly is a work of art. If you can do it and haven't, go for it!
wbt5845
AG
jokershady said:

Aggiebrewer said:

whats the story? are we just never going to go back to not playing arky in jerryworld?

i kniw we signed some extension.

its almost as bad as the bevel
We'll find out in 2024....
Yep - the contract is through 2024. We signed an extension of 4 years in order to get 2012 and 2013 home and away.

As much as the fans dislike this game at Jerryworld, the AD likes it because it makes a ton of $ for us.
monarch
S
I stopped feeding money into Jerry's rear end a few years back and I don't worry about it. This is the one game we purposely miss each year.

IMO, whenever the contract is up we should get out of it. If Arky wants to continue to play the game in Arlington, that's fine; they can be the home team and we can be the visitors on alternate years. When we are the home team, we can play at Kyle Field. We didn't put $475 million into Kyle to let it sit idle once a year because the agreement we have now.

Get out of that thing. As for buying tickets to the game, wait until the day before or the day of. You'll be able to get tickets for half price if not better.
Luke The Drifter
AG
The last time I went to the game, we bought tickets off of Flash Seats on Thursday of game week for something like $35 each. They weren't terrible seats - near the top of the lower deck, about the 10 yard line, in the Aggie section, and on the aisle. During TV timeouts, I could leave my seat, get to the beer vendor on the concourse, use the restroom, be back in my seat, and miss no more than a play or two, if that.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
KerrvilleAg
No it doesn't. Split gate with the pigs and Jerry and TAMU....= 1/3 of SMALLER PIE then we'd get at Kyle.
TXAG 05
AG
KerrvilleAg said:

No it doesn't. Split gate with the pigs and Jerry and TAMU....= 1/3 of SMALLER PIE then we'd get at Kyle.

Pretty sure Jerry doesn't get any of the gate, unless they changed the deal. He "rents" the stadium to the home team for $1 I believe. He gets the concessions and parking.
Callate Donnie
Buying tickets on Thursday night we s the play for sure.
agsalaska
AG
Never been, and my least desirable game to go to.

It needs to be on campus.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Eike Mlko
If you haven't been to this game before then don't comment. I've been twice and both times it was LOUD and a fun atmosphere...maybe because we won. People will gripe about anything. Go and have fun
Eike Mlko
monarch said:

I stopped feeding money into Jerry's rear end a few years back and I don't worry about it. This is the one game we purposely miss each year.

IMO, whenever the contract is up we should get out of it. If Arky wants to continue to play the game in Arlington, that's fine; they can be the home team and we can be the visitors on alternate years. When we are the home team, we can play at Kyle Field. We didn't put $475 million into Kyle to let it sit idle once a year because the agreement we have now.

Get out of that thing. As for buying tickets to the game, wait until the day before or the day of. You'll be able to get tickets for half price if not better.

So much wrong in what you said.

Jerry makes nothing off this game.

Atmosphere is great.

Get over it
Luke The Drifter
AG
Texagtrojan said:

monarch said:

Atmosphere is great.

Get over it

So if A&M and Arkansas split the gate, would you rather have 1/2 of the money every year or all of the money every other year? I can see where this would be a better deal for Arkansas than for A&M. Reynolds Stadium holds 76,000 - and they would sell that out every other year when A&M came to town. Kyle Field holds over 100,000 - and we would sell that out (or close to it) every other year when Arkansas came to town. Plus, each school would get full concession money, as well as the economic development boost it would give each city.

Or...we can split these attendance numbers down the middle:

2018 - 55,383
2017 - 64,668
2016 - 67,751
2015 - 67,339
2014 - 68,113
2013 - on campus in Fayetteville (72,613 in attendance)
2012 - on campus in College Station (86,442 in attendance)
2011 - 69,838
2010 - 65,662
2009 - 71,872

We have played Arkansas 8 times at Cowboys Stadium with an average attendance of 66,328 (seating capacity is just under 100,000). A stadium...any stadium...that averages about 2/3 capacity DOES NOT have a great atmosphere. Heck, last year...in year one of the Jimbo era...we *barely* filled 1/2 of the stadium.

From Year 1 of the series to last year, the attendance dropped by 22.9%. And, as you can clearly see, the attendance numbers are trending in the absolute wrong direction. I think the fans have spoken. Yea, there may be a few folks who like playing in a cavern, but the collapsing ticket sales numbers paint a pretty clear picture of what A&M and Arkansas fans think of having the game in Arlington.

And to say Jerry makes nothing off of this game is simply foolish. Jerry Jones did not become a billionaire by giving away things for free. Dude is making money on the deal or he wouldn't be doing it. That's how a rich person maintains his rich person status.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Saint Pablo
Why does anyone give a damn about whether or not A&M gets the money? They aren't hurting for money. That should be the least of anyone's concern.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Texagtrojan said:

monarch said:

Atmosphere is great.

Get over it

So if A&M and Arkansas split the gate, would you rather have 1/2 of the money every year or all of the money every other year? I can see where this would be a better deal for Arkansas than for A&M. Reynolds Stadium holds 76,000 - and they would sell that out every other year when A&M came to town. Kyle Field holds over 100,000 - and we would sell that out (or close to it) every other year when Arkansas came to town. Plus, each school would get full concession money, as well as the economic development boost it would give each city.

2018 - 55,383
2017 - 64,668
2016 - 67,751
2015 - 67,339
2014 - 68,113
2011 - 69,838
2010 - 65,662
2009 - 71,872

We have played Arkansas 8 times at Cowboys Stadium with an average attendance of 66,328 (seating capacity is just under 100,000). A stadium...any stadium...that averages about 2/3 capacity DOES NOT have a great atmosphere. Heck, last year...in year one of the Jimbo era...we *barely* filled 1/2 of the stadium.

From Year 1 of the series to last year, the attendance dropped by 22.9%. And, as you can clearly see, the attendance numbers are trending in the absolute wrong direction. I think the fans have spoken. Yea, there may be a few folks who like playing in a cavern, but the collapsing ticket sales numbers paint a pretty clear picture of what A&M and Arkansas fans think of having the game in Arlington.

And to say Jerry makes nothing off of this game is simply foolish. Jerry Jones did not become a billionaire by giving away things for free. Dude is making money on the deal or he wouldn't be doing it. That's how a rich person maintains his rich person status.

You think the attendance may be trending downward because Arky kinda sucks lately?

It will be up some this year. Also, note that the higher attended games were during the JFF years so there's that.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
When it first started, it was expensive as hell. Tickets between the goal lines were $125 plus you had to donate $175 to the 12th man foundation. So $300 each. Not sure if that has changed because I hate giving Jerruh a single dime so I haven't thought about going again.

Kill this game with fire.
wbt5845
AG
KerrvilleAg said:

We're still playing 7 home games at Kyle, so the split gate at Jerryworld is additional money. And we split 50/50. If we went to home and away, we'd still play7 home games and lose out on the Jerryworld money.

Several of you are confused on the math - going back to a home and away would not increase the number of home games every other year from 7 to 8 - it would remain at 7. If only one person attended the Jerryworld game, we would still make more money than having the game back on campus (aside from expenses).
Canyon99
I'll say when I went in 2015 the atmosphere was bland. The stadium is not conducive to the college game day experience. I haven't been back and won't return in the future.
average_joker
AG
Bought tickets from a scalper last year. None of them would budge below face value. Go to Kyle, or an away game.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Shooter McGavin said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Texagtrojan said:

monarch said:

Atmosphere is great.

Get over it

2018 - 55,383
2017 - 64,668
2016 - 67,751
2015 - 67,339
2014 - 68,113
2011 - 69,838
2010 - 65,662
2009 - 71,872

You think the attendance may be trending downward because Arky kinda sucks lately?

It will be up some this year. Also, note that the higher attended games were during the JFF years so there's that.

The numbers were high during the JFF years because those two years were played on campus. JFF never played Arkansas in Arlington.

Yea, the numbers are down, in part, because Arky is bad. But that's not the only reason. The numbers are down also because face value tickets are expensive, tailgating is nearly non-existent and has to be shut down early, parking is outrageously priced and far from the stadium, and the atmosphere is awful.

Also, given Arkansas's sorry state right now, this will be relegated to an 11:00 a.m. kickoff time until the Hogs improve.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Leave the game in Dallas.
The atmosphere sucks b/s Arkansas sucks, its been at 11AM the last 3 years because Arkansas sucks. Quit blaming Jerry Jones for the problems caused by the failures of the Arkansas football program.
wangus12
AG
Saint Pablo said:

I'd bet you can probably get stuff cheaper on gameday, it looks pretty expensive on Stubhub right now.

That being said, I disagree with the other posters and have really enjoyed experiencing that game at Jerryworld. It is a nice atmosphere, it will be a nice 2 degrees instead of 95, and that stadium truly is a work of art. If you can do it and haven't, go for it!
You can't. We tried last year and the cheapest tickets 15 minutes before kickoff were the $85 nosebleeds. Place was 65% empty
HelloUncleNateFitch
Texagtrojan said:

If you haven't been to this game before then don't comment. I've been twice and both times it was LOUD and a fun atmosphere...maybe because we won. People will gripe about anything. Go and have fun

I've been, can I complain? It wasn't as good as playing at Kyle in 2010 and it certainly isn't as good as playing the now best stadium in Texas Kyle in 2019.

Hell I've got my own one man boycott going on it. The best thing to come out of Dallas is 45 South.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
There are seasons where we could have 8 home games if ALL non-con games were at home, as they are in 2020.

Jerry gets the parking and concession $, schools split the gate. That is as per the contract.

It is a good atmosphere, I personally don't like it and prefer all SEC games at home, and F'ville is a fun road trip. But if the players like it and we get 7 home games, I am indifferent to the game staying there.

I think attendance has decreased due to the prices. It is beyond ridiculous to pay more than $125 for a college football game. Decent seats are either $225 or $300, that is absurd. When the game first started the stadjum was fairly new, now that it is no longer novel the "additional 12th Man Donation" needs to be dropped.

In all honesty the schools are gouging the fans on this, there never was a promise of a corporate sponsor or a big outside infusion of cash, it comes straight out of the fans pockets.

I live in Dallas and have gone a couple of times but will no longer attend due to the cost, if they dropped the additional "donation" I might consider it.
tjack16
AG
The atmosphere was really good in 2014, 15 and 16. Partially due to not being 11 am games and Arkansas was better.

The last two years it's been lame. I'm still going this year because I'll never turn down the opportunity to go to a game, but the game needs a shot of adrenaline.
KerrvilleAg
you're being obtuse to spin your story....A&M would go to 8 home games maybe every other year with Arky being a home&home schedule

that is a better atmosphere and more $$$$$$ for A&M....PERIOD

Bama has 8 at home this year

we get it, you like the game in JerryWorld, most don't
W
AG
there is no way to put a positive spin on last year's 55k attendance. That is abysmal.

two of the Baylor-Tech games that were played at Jerryworld did better than 55k.

the series needs to return to campus
W
AG
and the #1 indicator that the Jerryworld series has flopped...

the price of upper deck tickets ($85 & $125) has remained unchanged since the first game in 2009.

you know that wasn't $Bill's plan when the contract was signed. The schools can't afford to raise prices because of slow sales
CampingAg
AG
I live in Fort Worth and would drive to Fayetteville before I drove to Arlington. It was neat the first few years, but here we are ten years later and it's very meh. College football is better on college campuses, and if you disagree with that I can't help you.

Side note: I seem to recall a poster on here who brought his laptop and printer to his tailgate, bought and printed tickets on Stubhub for really cheap right at kickoff.
agsalaska
AG
Had a blast in Fayeteville in 2013. I would probably go there every other year.

Never been to the game at Jerryworld. Went to the LSU Cotton Bowl and swore the place off.

I can see why younger people like it and older people dont. I'm older I guess.

On a side note, if it was played at the Cotton Bowl I'd go every year.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Old Sarge
AG
I have been to this game several times. It has been a good time every time, especially since we've been winning. Seats almost anywhere are good. Good tailgating, even though the NFL rules applied. The hoggies are out of their environment in a "nice" atmosphere. Only complaint is the HIGGH priced beer, and bad selection for those prices. When the kiddo was younger, staying at the Great Wolf was a plus.

That being said: Move the game back to a home/home as soon as possible. The luster is gone. Kyle is better, and a trip to Arkansas is nice for the scenery and everyone needs to know what a meth lab looks like so their kids can spot one in latter life, so as to keep their property values up.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.