Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is it so hard to get a shutout?

4,955 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sponge
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We come so close playing creampuff teams, but still cannot blank them.
PharmD4
AG
Yes
PyriteAg
AG
Considering that even non-starting defenders play as well, yeah it must be pretty difficult to get a shut out
Emilio Fantastico
AG
If getting a shutout against someone you're beating by 40+ points is more important than building depth and experience, then you know nothing about football.

The only time a shutout matters is when your own offense hasn't done squat.
lagoag
Emilio Fantastico said:

If getting a shutout against someone you're beating by 40+ points is more important than building depth and experience, then you know nothing about football.

The only time a shutout matters is when your own offense hasn't done squat.
This..
Bottlehead90
AG
The zoo will never be happy
Muy
AG
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but when we're destroying a scrub team, I enjoy seeing the other team get their 1 TD. Know it has to make their lifetime memories to put one in the end zone in a huge stadium like Kyle Field.
swc93
AG
Good hosts. "Thanks for coming, safe travels, here is a treat for you on the way home."
SunrayAg
AG
infinity ag said:

I truly pity your sad and pathetic life it this is something that brings you angst.
HowdyTAMU
AG
It's tougher when a team is desperate enough to attempt a field goal when they're losing by several scores.
saw em off
Curious though, when was our last shutout?
Saint Pablo
saw em off said:

Curious though, when was our last shutout?
Prairie View A&M in 2016
Saint Pablo
Went back to 2012 and Vanderbilt was the only other team we shutout under Sumlin.
TecRecAg
AG
Yep. 2015 when we kicked 6 field goals.
Gigem713
I think our D is plenty saucy. They get after it.
Agsuffering@bulaw
No, but there are significant opportunity costs:

1. Starters dont get rested who need rest
2. Reserves dont get reps
3. Probably have to show blitzes and stunts we dont want to show*
4. Miss opportunity for DBs to get experience defending the Red Zone**
5. Running it up is unsportsmanlike and can effect the HC's reputation among other coaches***

We dominated the game with our starters and were up 27-0 at half.

----Explanations---
*In more important games, when the opponent gets close to FG range, the DC typically blitzes to keep them out. Elko probably would not show Auburn a tendency for those situations, unless we got desperate.

They have Elko video from last year. But, Elko customizes his game plan to his personnell.

**Defending the Red Zone is different for the pass defenders. They have less ground to cover. Offenses typically run plays they wouldnt have to in the open field.

***Treat an opponent with respect, and he may give you information you request on your bowl opponent. He is less likely to give your bowl opponent info on you.

They are more likely to play guarantee games on your field. That could be the difference in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Aggies2009
AG
While I don't need a shutout to be happy, I do like that we don't allow many points to these kinds of teams. I can remember Sumlin teams allowing 23 to Ball State, 27 to Nevada, 16 to Louisiana Monroe (in a game we only scored 21 in), and 17 to Western Carolina.
greg.w.h
AG
Testimony to Lamar staying in the game the whole way. Kudos to them for finding a way to score.
PyriteAg
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

No, but there are significant opportunity costs:

1. Starters dont get rested who need rest
2. Reserves dont get reps
3. Probably have to show blitzes and stunts we dont want to show*
4. Miss opportunity for DBs to get experience defending the Red Zone**
5. Running it up is unsportsmanlike and can effect the HC's reputation among other coaches***

We dominated the game with our starters and were up 27-0 at half.

----Explanations---
*In more important games, when the opponent gets close to FG range, the DC typically blitzes to keep them out. Elko probably would not show Auburn a tendency for those situations, unless we got desperate.

They have Elko video from last year. But, Elko customizes his game plan to his personnell.

**Defending the Red Zone is different for the pass defenders. They have less ground to cover. Offenses typically run plays they wouldnt have to in the open field.

***Treat an opponent with respect, and he may give you information you request on your bowl opponent. He is less likely to give your bowl opponent info on you.

They are more likely to play guarantee games on your field. That could be the difference in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
This is /eot material right here. Good stuff.

By the way, I never knew that the third (bolded) explanation was an actual thing. Does this happen frequently?
infinity ag
The point is, if we were good enough to get a 62-3, why not do the extra bit and make it a 62-0?

If you want to rest starters then do it earlier, so that the score is 62-30.
Jon Cocktosin
AG
infinity ag said:

Maybe this can help answer:

Since 2017, Bama has had 32 games and posted 4 shutouts. During the same time frame, Clemson has had 32 games and posted 0 shut outs.

If you assume Bama and Clemson are the two best teams over the last couple of years, they've had a combined 4 shout outs over the course of 64 games (6.25%).

I think it's hard to pitch a shut out (even against lesser teams).
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Does this happen frequently?

Enough that a wise coach takes it into consideration.

I was a peon at a major HS program years ago. We lost a close district game to a team with less talent. Their coaches allowed their players to celebrate like jackwagons on the 50 yd line. I was scouting next week's opponent and could not say how bad it was. I do know that our coaches felt disrespected.

A month later, their opponent in the playoffs shows up asking for video on them. Jackwagons had only agreed to swap something like 2 weeks of film. Our coaches hooked the opponent up. Not just the game films, but cut-ups of all their different types of plays. Jackwagons lost the playoff game. Was it b/c of our contributions? I dont know, but it was a competitive game.

Yes, things like that happen. Coaching is a big fraternity and word gets around quickly, good or bad. Coaches are some of the most prideful humans on earth. F- with their pride and you never know what may happen.
PyriteAg
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Quote:

Does this happen frequently?

Enough that a wise coach takes it into consideration.

I was a peon at a major HS program years ago. We lost a close district game to a team with less talent. Their coaches allowed their players to celebrate like jackwagons on the 50 yd line. I was scouting next week's opponent and could not say how bad it was. I do know that our coaches felt disrespected.

A month later, their opponent in the playoffs shows up asking for video on them. Jackwagons had only agreed to swap something like 2 weeks of film. Our coaches hooked the opponent up. Not just the game films, but cut-ups of all their different types of plays. Jackwagons lost the playoff game. Was it b/c of our contributions? I dont know, but it was a competitive game.

Yes, things like that happen. Coaching is a big fraternity and word gets around quickly, good or bad. Coaches are some of the most prideful humans on earth. F- with their pride and you never know what may happen.
That's some crazy stuff. I never knew a lot of stuff can happen behind the scenes to that degree. Thanks for the response.
ETXag4life
Nov 8, 2003. It's doable. We've got to force turnovers. Against cream puffs, when the game is out of hand, the reserves have to have enough pride to keep them out of the end zone. Wrecking Crew could do it. I saw us do it to TCU in '88.
Sponge
AG
The field goal blocking unit needs practice too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.