Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Football is the same every year...........

5,386 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by iluvpoker
12thmanfootball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How many years in a row do we gotta watch Clemson and Bama at the top, and then watch New England demolish crappy AFC teams on their way to another Super Bowl?
Meximan
Clemson literally didn't get there til 3 years ago.
SA-AG72
AG
Don't watch
Nonregdrummer09
AG
You act like Clemson has been around forever and teams like Miami, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, the sips, Oklahoma, K-State, etc. have never been at or near the top, heck even Kansas went to the orange bowl that one year.

Bama and Clemson are at the top because they have two of the best, if not the best, head coaches in CFB, it'll pass like they all do eventually.
12thmanfootball
AG
Quote:

Don't watch
Gee never thought of that, ********!
12thmanfootball
AG
Quote:

Yeah, but how many more years till they lose a conference game with FSU, Miami, and Va Tech all sucking hind tit?

They, like Bama will be in the playoffs for 9 of the next 10 years (at least).
Post removed:
by user
12thmanfootball
AG
Quote:

You act like Clemson has been around forever and teams like Miami, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, the sips, Oklahoma, K-State, etc. have never been at or near the top, heck even Kansas went to the orange bowl that one year.

Bama and Clemson are at the top because they have two of the best, if not the best, head coaches in CFB, it'll pass like they all do eventually.
No **** ,Sherlock, and I have watched College Football religiously and I know that. If Bama, Clemson, and New England keep their coaches, then all 3 will be on top for as long as the coaches are there. In all cases it could be 10 years (or more).
tk for tu juan
If UCF has their third straight undefeated regular season, maybe let them play for the FBS championship. It is dumb to have a whole group of FBS schools essentially blocked from playing for a championship because of this "power 5" and "group of 5" dividing line. UCF can't do any worse than what Notre Dame, Michigan St, or Washington did in the CFP.
Post removed:
by user
TXAG 05
AG
Most teams don't deserve a shot. I wish it could go back to the days where winning your conference is what really mattered and anything else was just icing on the cake.
MKAG04
AG
Don't fret...a guy I know says it ain't gonna be how it used to be
cb1919
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

eliminate cupcake & OOC games.

expand playoff to 32 teams

incorporate bowls.

it would give teams a shot that didnt have one & make the smaller bowl games mean more.

32 is way too many. You'll end up with a regular season that doesn't matter like in college basketball.
Class of 65
AG
I saw my first aggie game when Elwood Kettler was qb. I believe that was around 54 but not sure. Not much has changed with Aggie football . There was a couple years of excitement with Emory Ballard's team,
We beat ut 4 years in a row somewhere along the way and the 98 team with RC was pretty good. But as a whole not much changes from year to year with Aggie Football.
E A DANNHAUS Class of 65
AgPediRPh
AG
Meximan said:

not literally. They won it all in 1981
Tango_Mike
cb1919 said:

Aggiebrewer said:

incorporate bowls.

it would give teams a shot that didnt have one & make the smaller bowl games mean more.

32 is way too many. You'll end up with a regular season that doesn't matter like in college basketball.
The regular season already doesn't matter. If the regular season "mattered," then when you lose wouldn't be more important than when you win.

What name team you play in the early season (when you get credit for "big" wins simply because it's a name team with a preseason ranking) is more important than anything else. If the regular season "mattered" then there wouldn't be games against Texas State and Lamar.
ABATTBQ87
AG
EAD 65 said:

I saw my first aggie game when Elwood Kettler was qb. I believe that was around 54 but not sure. Not much has changed with Aggie football . There was a couple years of excitement with Emory Ballard's team,
We beat ut 4 years in a row somewhere along the way and the 98 team with RC was pretty good. But as a whole not much changes from year to year with Aggie Football.
yeah, I grew up reading my Dad's 58 Aggieland and nothing has really changed since Bear Bryant was coaching
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Bama and Clemson are at the top because they have two of the best, if not the best, head coaches in CFB, it'll pass like they all do eventually. when they do.

FIFY?
rangerdanger
AG
In the late 00's early 10's, I would look at Clemson being perennially ranked in the top 5 and roll my eyes. They always recruited well and played in a soft ACC, but could never figure it out. Gotta give credit to their admin for giving Dabo time to do just that.

Not sure how long the leash is for Jimbo, but, I feel like he is our best chance moving forward given who is available.
fightinag
Forever Considering said:

Don't fret...a guy I know says it ain't gonna be how it used to be
I know a guy who know a guy................SOS
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
aTm2004
AG
The only way Bama is at this level in 10 years if if Dabo leaves Clemson when Saban retires.
cb1919
AG
Tango_Mike said:

cb1919 said:

Aggiebrewer said:

incorporate bowls.

The regular season already doesn't matter. If the regular season "mattered," then when you lose wouldn't be more important than when you win.

What name team you play in the early season (when you get credit for "big" wins simply because it's a name team with a preseason ranking) is more important than anything else. If the regular season "mattered" then there wouldn't be games against Texas State and Lamar.
That is all just simply not true
rootube
AG
Football is the same every year.....

Counterpoint
W
AG
going back to the OP's post...

yes, since the playoff began in 2014...there has been very, very little parity at the top.

basically each year (including 2019) you can pencil in Alabama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State for the playoff
technoviking
AG
rootube said:

Football is the same every year.....

Counterpoint

Counterpoint accepted.
W
AG
and to be fair...if we looked at the 5 years prior to the playoff...2009-2013...for parity purposes...

Alabama would have still been in the CFP most years, but there would have been a little more variety as Auburn, LSU, t.u., and Stanford would have made appearances. Possibly OKState, Wisconsin, and Florida too
Tango_Mike
cb1919 said:

Tango_Mike said:

cb1919 said:

Aggiebrewer said:

incorporate bowls.

It's absolutely true. If you get boatraced by LSU in week 1, even if LSU turns out to be an 8-4 team, you have a chance to make the "playoff" by beating nothing but mediocre teams the rest of the year.

If you lose to undefeated Clemson in Week 12 by 1 point, you have no chance of making the playoff even if you ended up 11-1. The rankings - even the CFP rankings - are slot based. Lose, move down. Win, move ahead of the team that lost.

What's annoying is the "well you have to win your games" and "it's a de facto playoff game" garbage.
A-A Ron
W said:

going back to the OP's post...

yes, since the playoff began in 2014...there has been very, very little parity at the top.

basically each year (including 2019) you can pencil in Alabama, Clemson, OU, and Ohio State for the playoff
While that is true, unfortunately until other teams start beating them regularly it isn't going to change. It's not like the CFP committee is letting in these teams with 3,4 or 5 losses. These teams typically have 0 to 1 loss on the season. It is on their opponents to step up and knock them off. Unfortunately in the ACC for Clemson that isn't going to happen this year as the whole conference behind them is trash and the same could be said for OU with Hurts. tOSU and Bama are the only 2 that have a shot at missing if teams step up.
aTm2004
AG
It would be nice to expand the playoffs to 8 with the conference champions getting an auto bid. This would allow for some 1-2 loss teams getting in and better OOC match ups earlier to help boost the SOS but not be detrimental if you lose.
cb1919
AG
Tango_Mike said:

cb1919 said:

Tango_Mike said:

cb1919 said:

Aggiebrewer said:

incorporate bowls.

It's absolutely true. If you get boatraced by LSU in week 1, even if LSU turns out to be an 8-4 team, you have a chance to make the "playoff" by beating nothing but mediocre teams the rest of the year.

If you lose to undefeated Clemson in Week 12 by 1 point, you have no chance of making the playoff even if you ended up 11-1. The rankings - even the CFP rankings - are slot based. Lose, move down. Win, move ahead of the team that lost.

What's annoying is the "well you have to win your games" and "it's a de facto playoff game" garbage.

Alabama from two years ago would disagree
RealitySerum92
They should expand the playoff to 6 teams. 1 and 2 get a bye.
aTm2004
AG
RealitySerum92 said:

This used to be my hopes...5 P5 champions and 1 at large (would shut UCF up). Top 2 get a bye. 3/6, 4/5 match up.
cb1919
AG
aTm2004 said:

RealitySerum92 said:

This used to be my hopes...5 P5 champions and 1 at large (would shut UCF up). Top 2 get a bye. 3/6, 4/5 match up.

I like keeping it around 6 teams but I go back and forth on the automatic bid. If Pitt pulls off an upset last year in the ACC championship, you would've had a 7-5 team in the playoff.

Unfortunately, no matter how many teams they add to the someone will always argue for more. 68 teams get into March Madness and teams still feel like they got left out.
Snake
AG
12thmanfootball said:

Quote:

No **** ,Sherlock, and I have watched College Football religiously and I know that. If Bama, Clemson, and New England keep their coaches, then all 3 will be on top for as long as the coaches are there. In all cases it could be 10 years (or more).

Sounds like you knew the answer before you asked your question...
aTm2004
AG
cb1919 said:

aTm2004 said:

RealitySerum92 said:

I like keeping it around 6 teams but I go back and forth on the automatic bid. If Pitt pulls off an upset last year in the ACC championship, you would've had a 7-5 team in the playoff.

Unfortunately, no matter how many teams they add to the someone will always argue for more. 68 teams get into March Madness and teams still feel like they got left out.
So? That speaks more to the chitty ACC than the playoffs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.