Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Two Plays

4,891 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TX_Aggie37
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That seem to be missing that were extremely productive for us last year are the screen pass and the QB draw. Both seem to have disappeared from the playbook yet both can be big weapons with a struggling OL allowing a lot of penetration. Hoping Jimbo is keeping them in his back pocket for conference play.
TexanJeff
AG
We were running very vanilla offense tonight.

I think we ran several screens on Clemson but giving Auburn limited tape tonight. A bunch of "everyone run a route and get open" style plays tonight.
goags2
AG
Can a better football "expert" than me explain why we don't throw more drags, crossing, post routes, than routes that use the sideline as an extra defender?
I am constantly pining for those, a la, Reynolds, and seem to pay off a much greater percentage, when attempted.
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

It's time we start using this a bit more.
Ag4coal
goags2 said:

Can a better football "expert" than me explain why we don't throw more drags, crossing, post routes, than routes that use the sideline as an extra defender?
I am constantly pining for those, a la, Reynolds, and seem to pay off a much greater percentage, when attempted.

Because we haven't needed to in our two wins, and in our loss, we faced a very good defense. It's really hard to get those type of crossing routes going against a solid defense because they require time to develop, since the WR has to cover most of the field.

And please don't mention post routes. It's make me think of the bad throw by Mond couple with the much too shallow lost route from Ratley on "The Overthrow"
Meximan
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

point being, and i've said this for years, that the hardest route to defend is a come-back when the CB's back is turned.

Almost every CB will have his back turned at some point when you are running a vertical route in man coverage.

When the receiver stops and comes back, he will almost ALWAYS have a huge advantage on the defender.

BANA89
AG
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

It's been said by multiple writers that we lack speed downfield and that's what it typically takes to get a CB turned to keep up. This may not be a coincidence...
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
ColleyvilleAg06 said:

Came here to post this.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
TX_Aggie37
AG
We threw one at Clemson on the second play of the game and missed. They are in the playbook. I imagine we'll see them more often as we get into conference play.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.