Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Secondary Improvement?

5,268 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Meanmachine
Post removed:
by user
Lateralus Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At best our corners will have another year of experience.

That may or may not mean much.

I am more concerned that LB play will dropoff.
TexanJeff
AG
We lose Donovan Wilson but he only played have a season because of Targeting Ejections and Injuries.

All of our Corners are back plus we got Elijah Blades.

Leslie O'Neal looks the part to replace Dono.

Lots of options on the other side with Derrick Tucker leading the way coming into camp but I think he will get pushed throughout the season for PT.

With the number of yards we gave up last year, I see no reason why this group should not be the most improved of the bunch... or we gonna be in for a long day in Sept 7...
tsuag10
AG
All A&M said:

We all know the glaring weakness on the team was pass defense last year. It was a good season but could have been a great season with an average pass defense.

So my questions...

Who thinks pass defense will be improved? How much improved? Why?
I think the DBs can't help but be better this year when evaluated as a whole. Another year of strength & conditioning. Another year of experience. Year 2 in Elko's system. D-line is going to be solid this year, and the pass-rush should help the DBs a lot.
Bill Superman
AG
If you lower your expectations then they are sure to impress this season
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Oliver and Renfro were absolute liabilities. It seems a lot has changed and that we have some much needed depth. I am certainly hopeful.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The biggest problem the secondary had last year was poor tackling. They turned a lot of small plays into big ones with missed tackles.
Being in the second year of Elko's system, they should be in better position to make tackles and/or make plays on the ball. I expect to see a big improvement from the guys who played last year or we will be seeing more and more of the new guys as they gain experience (and that may happen anyway due to the supposed (recruiting rankings-based) talent upgrade).
BanderaAg956
The DB's will be decent if our front seven are decent! If our front seven are elite then the DB's can be good.

If the front seven lead the nation in run defense then the DB's are going to either get worn out or learn to get better quick!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Didn't Young win defensive MVP at the opening ? Would have thought he could at least be pushing Renfro and Oliver ?
mm42
Is Pryor really the nickel? I assumed Elam, Chattman, or maybe Brian Williams just to get him on the field.

I think Blades has been hurt and might make a move, hope so as 2nd corner looks weak to me. Not sure why everyone hates on Debione. He is pretty good, and I bet he makes the league.
GumboMaverick
cant be much worse
TX_Aggie37
AG
Rush the passer and the secondary seems better. If we can consistently get home with 4-5 man rush, the secondary will mostly be fine.
Al Bula
AG
Screw secondary improvement. Our defense needs primary improvement.
iluvpoker
Emilio Fantastico said:

The biggest problem the secondary had last year was poor tackling).

I thought their biggest problem was playing the ball in the air. They seemed to have zero awareness of where the ball was and what they should do with their hands.
RustySeatbelt
https://giphy.com/gifs/ftXmTBgSnsJ8c
sleepybeagle
AG

let me help you out there Rusty!
Tamu_mgm
AG
Quote:

Who thinks pass defense will be improved? How much improved? Why?

I have confidence our secondary will be improved significantly because of a few reasons:
#1 - All secondary players (save 1 in Demani) have been in Mike Elko's defense and with Mo Linquist, for over a year now, and so are more experienced and wiser with their assignments.
#2 - Pass rush will be better with Michael Clemons, Tyree Johnson, Jeremiah Martin, and the inside DTs = less time for QBs
#3 - Debione Renfro and Myles Jones will be juniors and are both healthy, and have improved per practice reports - this says a lot to me based on the quality of our WR corps they're going against daily
#4 - Safety play will be better with sophomore Leon O' Neal and Demani Richardson as the 2 most likely starters at this point. Tucker really took a step back last year and per practice reports has not made up enough ground to stave off Demani Richardson.

I'm confident we jump at least 50 spots in the pass defense rankings based on the factors above. Last year we were #99 and I can see us jump to anywhere from #40-60.

Post removed:
by user
Tamu_mgm
AG
Abitaholic said:

iluvpoker said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

The biggest problem the secondary had last year was poor tackling).

I thought their biggest problem was playing the ball in the air. They seemed to have zero awareness of where the ball was and what they should do with their hands.
Family member is a DC at the collegiate level (not P5) and has told me the ball awareness can't be taught. Essentially like Leach's views on accuracy. You can do a few things to help, but essentially either you have it or you don't. If we start the same 2 corners...I'm concerned. I'll give the benefit of the doubt but essentially our DL better bring a ton of pressure to help throw off timing.
To an extent yes, but there's a lot of technique that can be taught in identifying and playing on the ball in the air. Also, if our super talented new CBs in Blades and Young can't beat out Renfro and Jones, then I think that's a win for the team regardless. Despite their struggles last year, that shows they have clearly improved enough this year to keep the more talented guys behind them.
vander54
S
Lateralus Ag said:

Luckily LB are more talented this year but are injury prone or true freshmen.
World's worst proofreader
RustySeatbelt
Muchos gracias.
NoahAg
Our front 7 will dominate so hard we won't need a secondary.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I expect the secondary to be solid. I thought we were decent once Oneal and Myles Jones got going.

CB
Myles Jones is solid but not spectacular. Debione Renfro's can at least can run with the WR and force a good throw and catch. Erick Young not making more noise and Blades being dinged up are dissappointing. Hopefully at least one will be solid. The other returning corners failed to inspire confidence.

S
Oneal is good and could be really good. Tucker was an adequate boundary safety by the end of the year. Richardson beating out Tucker is very encouraging. I dont think they plug in a true fish at safety unless significantly better. Williams cracking the 2 deep is also a good sign. The other returning safeties also failed to inspire confidence. Hopefully we dont rely on them much.

NB
DCS was solid but should be replaceable. Clemson and Bama probably light up whomever, but he should be adequate against the others.

I also expect most SEC opponents to begin by challenging our RunD (Clem and Bama throw more). I would force Elko to play 3 LBs unless I had 3+ good WRs. Last year, we were screwed if anybody got hurt or called for targeting. At least now Tucker is solid and Blades will probably be.
Lateralus Ag
AG
vander54 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Luckily LB are more talented this year but are injury prone or true freshmen.

Like I said. I am more concerned our LB play will see a dropoff.
AG
All I know is if I see Chuck Oliver out there on an island again, I may very well hammer a splintered cornstalk up my own urethra.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
TexanJeff said:

We lose Donovan Wilson but he only played have a season because of Targeting Ejections and Injuries.

All of our Corners are back plus we got Elijah Blades.

Leslie O'Neal looks the part to replace Dono.

Lots of options on the other side with Derrick Tucker leading the way coming into camp but I think he will get pushed throughout the season for PT.

With the number of yards we gave up last year, I see no reason why this group should not be the most improved of the bunch... or we gonna be in for a long day in Sept 7...

Leslie o'neal?

Post removed:
by user
greg.w.h
AG
Two thoughts:

1. Elko did a near masterful job of protecting the secondary from exposure by getting the box effective against the run but also leaving gaps that funneled to the safeties that convinced opponents to keep trying runs.

2. We still are at risk of injury due to lack of depth. I think we will we more rotation at the secondary positions because the newcomers and the vets are better and frankly deeper. That should help minimize injuries due to overexertion.

3. Let's be honest: we need the front seven to dominate the line and the box. That lets us run more nickel and dime-style packages on expected passing downs and puts them behinds the chains.
Meanmachine
AG
Renfro was not the problem last season, Jones was better late in the year. Those guys play a ton of man and sometimes you get beat. Safety was more of my concern because of poor tackling and and missed assignments. If Oliver has to play we are in trouble. I feel like safety wise we have better talent now overall so we will cover better. Our nickel guy will get exposed by Bama and Clemson because he can't run, he should hold up against everyone else. Our pass rush last season was below average so any improvement in pass rush will show up in secondary play. I'll say we improve to 5th or 6th in the SEC in pass defense which is about 20 to 25 yards less per game allowed. Bottom line is we will be better on the back end.
rootube
AG
greg.w.h said:

Two thoughts:

1. Elko did a near masterful job of protecting the secondary from exposure by getting the box effective against the run but also leaving gaps that funneled to the safeties that convinced opponents to keep trying runs.

2. We still are at risk of injury due to lack of depth. I think we will we more rotation at the secondary positions because the newcomers and the vets are better and frankly deeper. That should help minimize injuries due to overexertion.

3. Let's be honest: we need the front seven to dominate the line and the box. That lets us run more nickel and dime-style packages on expected passing downs and puts them behinds the chains.
One thing I know with 100% confidence is that we will know exactly who we are after Clemson. Clemson made the Bama secondary look silly in the title game. If we can show up for that game in the secondary there should not be a better team we play all year.
Agvet12
AG
Well have a better pass rush/DE play
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Seems another year of experience is the theme for having hope at CB. What are some examples of a CB noticeably improving from 1 yr to the next? The only one that comes to mind is D. Harris. DCS was improved his senior year but wasnt playing corner. Any others?

Man coverage predominantly requires athleticism. Zone has significantly more technique. It seemed the CBs were mostly playing man except on 3rd & long last year. I expect the same, unless the front steps up so big that we can play more zone.

More likely to see improvement from CBs in defenses that play more zone.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Saying Elko protected the secondary is generous (not criticizing Elko). After Clemson, opponents should have known we were going to mess with the read. Yes, he probably duped QBs a few times a game into running. They were still playing man, which most could not do consistently.

It kind of makes you wonder why most OCs called RPOs. I would have thrown unless the personnel was not there.

I think the secondary can be adequate without a dominant front (except Clem & Bama), provided we stay healthy and unsuspended. Obviously if the front stops the run with 6, we should have another good year.
beerad12man
AG
Meanmachine said:

Renfro was not the problem last season, Jones was better late in the year. Those guys play a ton of man and sometimes you get beat. Safety was more of my concern because of poor tackling and and missed assignments. If Oliver has to play we are in trouble. I feel like safety wise we have better talent now overall so we will cover better. Our nickel guy will get exposed by Bama and Clemson because he can't run, he should hold up against everyone else. Our pass rush last season was below average so any improvement in pass rush will show up in secondary play. I'll say we improve to 5th or 6th in the SEC in pass defense which is about 20 to 25 yards less per game allowed. Bottom line is we will be better on the back end.
I agree with everything except the comment about how our nickel guy can't run?

I don't doubt that Bama and Clemson will expose him some, because they'll expose every teams corners and nickels at some point in a game, but our starting nickel ran a 4.56 laser in high school. That's plenty fast for a nickel who is nearly 6-3.
Meanmachine
AG
I hope your right, I'm not sure if any of our db's can run with Clemson and Bama wr's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.