Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does anyone have video of 1984 Ag / tu game in Austin...

6,480 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GrapevineAg
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best game and foreshadowing of years to come...

Thomas Sanders runs wild...
DD88
AG
EDIT: Found it

Just a short clip of the Aggies blocking future KLBJ talk show host Jeff Ward's FG.

rootube
AG
I can't help with a video but that was the first A&M/Horn game I saw in person. I was in the middle of the horn student section and it was amazing!
DTuba
@31:38 he kicked barefoot?!? Was that a normal thing? Whats the backstory?
yell_on_6th st
AG
We won
Trajan88
AG
I attended that game ... sat in stadium's horseshoe.

Way to go Craig Stump!

As I was leaving the stadium via the field, saw sideline reporter Tim Brando with his cameraman.
aggiejim70
AG
I was there, found a VHS of the game over the weekend.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

Best game and foreshadowing of years to come...

Thomas Sanders runs wild...
Wasn't that in the 1980 game?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
you have to go to the 51:30 mark or so an watch the chevy cavalier commercial. my gawd, that was one nasty car..... and a terrible sales pitch. any of our dads who design that pos should had been fired.
I am here for the comments.
FearNoWeevil
AG
DTuba said:

New to Aggie football, I see...

Google "Tony Franklin, kicker"
maroonthrunthru
Thanks for finding this...

I missed that game (traveling) and have not been able to find it on YouTube ever since...

That was the beginning of Sherrill dominance...
You could see the difference in talent...
1997 AG
AG
Dad I and I used to VHS record any Aggie game that came on TV. At 9 years old, that blocked FG was the singular play that cemented me as an Aggie for life. I wore out that tape. Thanks for the memory....
rootube
AG
OldCorpsTerd86 said:

you have to go to the 51:30 mark or so an watch the chevy cavalier commercial. my gawd, that was one nasty car..... and a terrible sales pitch. any of our dads who design that pos should had been fired.
To be fair they had an AC Delco commercial with Chuck Yager getting in a jet with what looks like a Camaro in the background so that pretty much makes up for everything else.
OldArmy71
AG
I remember watching this game on TV. Terrific game.

Observations:

1. Both bands are playing all the way through the snap count.

2. The Aggies' uniform sleeves look as if they've been ripped. Never noticed that before.

3. tu was determined to use Edwin Simmons, which didn't work.

4. I owned one of those S-10 Blazers.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
DTuba said:

Go to about the 1:55 mark to see how our very own Tony Franklin made NFL history and started the trend.
Win At Life
AG
Big game, but didn't realize we'd only beat tu 6 times previously at DKR stadium before that night.
Hey Nav
AG
At 2:28...

"You gotta know the difference between the orange shirts and the white shirts".
oklacityag75
AG
Thank you. I will never forget that game. tu was talking about cheering for Rice so they would go to the Cotton Bowl. As all typical tu sips, they felt they already had the game won.

We smashed their heads and kicked their asses to a 30-0 lead. Their all world starting QB was knocked out of the game. This also started a 7 game win streak against those pigs at tu.

What was amazing in 1984 was how short all of the commercials were. I think the commercials should be limited to six 30 second commercials during all commercial breaks. There will be no money lost. The NCAA can do what the NFL did with Superbowl ads, raise the price.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
oklacityag75 said:

Thank you. I will never forget that game. tu was talking about cheering for Rice so they would go to the Cotton Bowl. As all typical tu sips, they felt they already had the game won.

We smashed their heads and kicked their asses to a 30-0 lead. Their all world starting QB was knocked out of the game. This also started a 7 game win streak against those pigs at tu.

What was amazing in 1984 was how short all of the commercials were. I think the commercials should be limited to six 30 second commercials during all commercial breaks. There will be no money lost. The NCAA can do what the NFL did with Superbowl ads, raise the price.
I DO NOT miss the sing-songy, saccharine happiness of all the commercials though. It was fun to see some of those again but man, times have changed for the better in that case.
wbt5845
AG
Rod Bernstine was a beast
Hey Nav
AG
So, that was an era where I missed most Aggie football games (class of '80).

For trivia reasons, I pulled out my log book.

My plane took off from McChord AFB that day at 16:54 Texas Time. Landed back at Sea Tac Airport at 23:07 Texas Time.

(We did airdrops out around Moses Lake, WA, according to my book.)

Getting a score took a few minutes, I reckon.

A few years later, I was out around Turkey on Thanksgiving night (at least in the USA). I was trying to get a score of the A&M / tu game. It was late at night, it was quiet, and we were plodding through the Med.

My co-pilot requested an assist from the command post at Incirlek, Turkey., it was passed on to probably Hellinikon in Greece, which was passed to the Airlift Control Center in Ramstein, Germany (Phantom) , then to a command post in England, then Newfoundland, then , I think, McGuire AFB in NJ. Then a controller in NJ called a radio station to get the score - then back through the system. All for a fellow member of the AF just looking for a football score in the middle of the night. All this on HF radio freqs (1920s technology, I think).
Meanmachine
AG
I miss beating tu, i was in Austin for the game in 94 and when all their fans were leaving in the 3rd qtr it was priceless.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I was a senior in high school. I was convinced the sips were going to continue their domination of the Aggies that I had watched the previous two seasons. The game in '84 was not played on Thanksgiving, but on the first Saturday in December I believe. I elected to avoid the game by going to a (crappy) movie. On the drive to the theater, I had the radio tuned to the AM station airing the game from Austin. Crappy movie ended, and I get back in my car, turn it on and start driving ... I had left the radio on, so the broadcast was still on-going. The announcer says something like, well, this game is turning into a rout ... and then he announces the score. I damn near wrecked my car.

Watched the game several times that week on replay. There were a bunch of sip deuchbags that had made life miserable in previous years, so I had some fun dishing it out before the Christmas break.

Only one other time have I chosen a movie over Aggie football - 2014 seeing Interstellar rather than a presumed beatdown by top 5 Auburn. Ags won that game. So is there any game I need to skip this season for a movie? It can't be just any game - it has to be a big time meaningful game. And the movie has to be something that should be awesome, something big like an Avengers or Star Wars mov. I'd say that my presence at Disney World on November 23 this year would hopefully have the same result (that is UGA day), but last time we went to Disney, LSU clubbed us.
war hymn aggie
AG
I have the DVD.
Remember watching that game at home in CS with a few other Aggies. Recorded it on a thing called a VCR at the time. We went CRAZY on the FG block return by Polk. Thomas Sanders solidified himself as one of my favorite all-time Aggies in this game.

Conversely...went to the '82 A&M vs t.u. game with my fianc' Aggie wife in '82. Only game I ever attended in Austin & also the coldest game I ever attended. Windchill factor announced as 6 degrees before the game. Ags opened the game decently on O but Hector fumbled & lost the ball. All Texas after that. Turned out to be the worst margin of loss in the A&M vs tu rivalry.

Somewhere I have an Aggie sweatshirt that talks about an Aggie six pack streak vs the horns.as we beat them from '84-'89.
APHIS AG
To me, the '84 game was much better than the '85 game. Even though we did not go to a bowl that year at 6-5, it saved Jackies job and previewed what was to come.
aggiejim70
AG
Win At Life said:

Big game, but didn't realize we'd only beat tu 6 times previously at DKR stadium before that night.
'56, '76, '80 come to mind. What were the other three?

3. tu was determined to use Edwin Simmons, which didn't work

Yeah, Simmons liked to run the naked reverse. But, that's another story.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ApachePilot
AG
I really enjoyed watching that game. The commercials are great too!
AgDotCom
I was at that game and the throw / catch from Craig Stump to Jeff Nelson made to put us up 17-0 was ridiculous and happened fairly close to me. That visual was so remarkable it has been seared into my mind ever since............until now, when I finally see the replay for the first time.

These still pics don't do it justice, go to 1:05:10 in the clip above and marvel.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Somewhere I have an Aggie sweatshirt that talks about an Aggie six pack streak vs the horns.as we beat them from '84-'89.
I still have the "Horn Busters" sweatshirt that was sold after the '84 game. Whenever I see that in my closet, I still marvel that I was ever that small.
alamoaggie64
AG
Thanks. This is a rare video. VCRs were new in those days and this game made me decide to get one. One of my favorite games of all time.
GeorgeBailey
AG
That was my freshman year. I was flashing horns down at the 1:30.32 mark.

Wow, I had hair too.
alamoaggie64
AG
"@31:38 he kicked barefoot?!? Was that a normal thing? Whats the backstory?"

Had a few that tried it barefoot. His older brother, Tony Franklin, was the best at it. Google it, part of Aggie lore.
Texas 1836
AG
I watched that on my Girlfriend's couch as a sophomore in High School.

We have been married 26 years. With two kids at A&M.
Aggie87
AG
This dude at 2:38.

GeorgeBailey
AG
Funny too how we didn't really wear our school colors much back then.

That changed significantly with the move to big 12.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.