Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

July 31, 2019

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• Devin Price‍ texted me Saturday morning and asked what the best time would be to announce this commitment. I told him we had an event going on that afternoon and said it would be cool if he announced then. He gave me the green light, and that’s what he ended up doing.

• I was very happy for Devin. This was a kid who was always trying to grow into his body. When he was 12- or 13-years old, people thought, “if his strength catches up to his length, then he will be an elite prospect.” As a freshman at Consolidated, he played QB. Then, he switches over to a wide receiver, and he started to become really good. Devin is poised to have a sensational senior year at Consolidated. I think A&M Consolidated is poised to have a fantastic season. I think it will come down to them and Fort Bend Marshall or Huntsville to get out of their region.

• Of all the things that Devon Achane‍ (pictured above) is looking for in a school, Texas A&M checks all of the boxes. He’s also interested in LSU and Houston. He likes Houston because it’s the home-town school. I can say that he’s been to A&M more than any other school. Plus, they got his mom out here last weekend as well. He also likes Florida State. People have been reminding him that he loved Jimbo Fisher’s Florida State teams.

• People are reminding Devon that while he is a running back, he is really in his own category because of all the things he can do on the field. They’re reminding him that they have a specific spot for him, and they know where they want to put him in the offense.

• With regards to Zach Evans‍, my stance hasn’t changed. It’s still very much a wait-and-see deal. It’s a question of do we stay in this thing and hold out for him? Or do we pull out? I’d say Texas A&M, Alabama and LSU are his top-three, but I could be wrong.

• All of these running backs that A&M is looking, they’re all good. They’re going to get some. It’s more of a question of who is going to be in the boat.

• I talked to a source yesterday that said Achane doesn’t like this recruiting stuff. It’s very similar to Haynes King‍’s deal. He doesn’t want it to become a part of his life like this. I think he will take this visit to FSU and then wait to do more until after his senior season.

• As far as Chris Morris‍ is concerned, I think the field is in the rear-view mirror and getting further and further away. Texas A&M has run away with his recruitment.

• There is room in this class for both Zach Evans and Devon Achane.

• I think Dematrius Davis‍ is a really good player, and I think Texas A&M could take two quarterbacks in the class of 2021. I also think Eli Stowers‍ would be okay with that.

• As far as percentages go, I’d feel about 60% that Shadrach Banks will be an Aggie. It’s a Texas A&M-LSU decision.

• Listening to his quotes, I think Texas A&M leads in the race for Princely Umanmielen‍. He’s taking his official on the Alabama week, and I think that atmosphere could do enough to drive home the nail. He is also really good friends with Terry Price.

• I think Donell Harris‍‍ is high on A&M, but I expect there to be some twists and turns in this one. You’re asking a kid halfway across the country to stay interested in you when all the Florida and Miami schools are in his backyard.

• We’re asking questions about players that we don’t have any concrete updates. Everyone in the industry thinks Noah Sewell‍ is going to Oregon. To pull off getting him would be crazy. A&M is still hanging around, but we will have to see.

• Antonio Johnson‍ was supposed to come for an official visit to A&M, but his house caught on fire, so he had to postpone that. He committed to Tennessee and then de-committed. You can tell how highly he holds A&M in his mind. This is a guy Mike Elko has had an eye on and really wants to get.

• Another guy is Xavion Alford‍, which A&M has made a giant dent in the lead that Bama had on him. He says he always feels comfortable at Texas A&M. I think he may sign with Bama, but it will be hard for him.

• I think A&M should still be considered the favorites for Josh Eaton‍. He’s visiting Texas this weekend, but I think it’s just to make sure he’s comfortable in his decision. He wants to make sure that he makes the right decision.

• Terry Price has been here for around eight years. He and his family have sort of woven themselves into this community. They’re normal people. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an assistant coach endear himself to a fanbase quite like he has. I think he’s an excellent dude, and if Texas A&M signed him to a lifelong contract, I don’t believe any Aggies would have a problem with that.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO...
CapRock Health System, the only 100% locally owned and operated healthcare system in B/CS, has 3 convenient locations; CapRock 24-Hour ER, CapRock Hospital with ER, and CapRock Urgent Care at Century Square. CapRock's second urgent care will soon open at Jones Crossing. Visit CapRockHealthSystem.com

Discussion from...

Recruiting Country: The latest recruiting news surrounding the Maroon & White

7,070 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Smeghead4761
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big Al 1992
AG
Antonio Johnson was supposed to come for an official visit to A&M, but his house caught on fire, so he had to postpone that. He committed to Tennessee and then de-committed. You can tell how highly he holds A&M in his mind. This is a guy Mike Elko has had an eye on and really wants to get.

Wow - hope it was minor. That's a lot to go through - and due to NCAA rules we couldn't help out if they needed it.
Smeghead4761
I'm pretty sure you're right about Chris Morris. He was just in for a visit on Saturday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.