Story Poster
Photo by Troy Taormina/USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M to expand the sale of alcohol at Kyle Field in the fall

June 13, 2019

Texas A&M announced that it will sell beer and wine in areas open to the public at Kyle Field beginning in the fall. Texas A&M is the first school to expand their alcohol sales after the SEC lifted its conference-wide ban on beer and wine sales last month.

The following is a press release from the Texas A&M Department of Athletics regarding the implementation of alcohol sales at Kyle Field.

Texas A&M University is expanding the availability for the purchase of beer and wine to the general public at Kyle Field starting this fall.

The plan follows a recently-announced decision by the Southeastern Conference to allow the sale of beer and wine in public areas during college athletic events.

A&M’s implementation plan will comply with SEC alcohol management expectations, University policy, and state and local regulations governing alcohol sales and consumption.

Beginning this fall, a variety of domestic and imported beer and a selection of wine will be available for purchase to the general public until the end of the third quarter.

“This is another way we are enhancing the amenities at Kyle Field,” Interim Director of Athletics R.C. Slocum said.  “We are extending the availability of alcohol beyond the premium areas which have had this option for many years. Fans, 21 and older, will have the option to purchase alcohol, regardless of seating area.”

In the past, SEC athletics programs have been prohibited from selling alcohol in public areas of SEC athletics venues. The new policy does not impact the type of service in suites, clubs or privately leased areas where alcohol was already allowed under SEC rules.

The new policy was adopted by SEC presidents and chancellors this spring. It requires institutions to designate stationary sales locations and prohibits sales by vendors in seating areas. It also limits the number of alcoholic beverages purchased per transaction.

“Our policy governing alcohol sales has been a source of considerable discussion and respectful debate among our member universities in recent years,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey.

“We are committed as a Conference to ensuring that all changes in policy are implemented in ways that respect and sustain the traditions that make the SEC game-day experience exceptional for all attendees,” Sankey said.

Expansion of alcohol sales at additional A&M athletics venues will be determined at a later date.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M to expand the sale of alcohol at Kyle Field in the fall

26,454 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
TexAg_Kyle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well there goes the neighborhood...
gocobra
AG
I don't drink beer, but some games I could really go for a cigarette by 4th Qtr. can we start smoking in the stands again,too?
CanyonAg77
AG
Stupid. greed-driven idea.
double aught
AG
What do you people have against it?
CalvinG10
CanyonAg77
AG
double aught said:

Drunks in Kyle Field.
Sponge
AG
Can we ban alcohol sales to swamp kitties? Got to keep things a little civilized.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
double aught said:

You ever been to a pro football game? Or other large stadiums where beer is sold to everyone? It's horrible.
This will not end well.
dahouse
AG
I haven't been to a game in years, but, when I was going to games, binge drinking/pre-gaming at the tailgates was a thing. And I always saw flasks in the stands.

Maybe people won't get belligerent beforehand if they can have a few during the game...
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
double aught
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

double aught said:

You ever been to a pro football game? Or other large stadiums where beer is sold to everyone? It's horrible.
This will not end well.
I have. Plenty. The majority of the time there are no issues. When there are, it has more to do with the type of people who attend pro football games as opposed to college football games than it has to do with alcohol.

People have been drinking all around you at Kyle Field for years anyway. If anything, this might slow some of them down.

I'm not worried about this in the slightest.
West Point Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Stupid. greed-driven idea.

Well duh!
jjsgranddad
If you sit on the end of a row get prepared to get up plenty of times. Are obnoxious drunks going to be thrown out -and by who? I am very disappointed that common sense has been overcome by the need for ready cash.
Jerry Soper
strbrst777
Bad idea...soon to be more than an idea. That's it: I will not donate one dime more than the required donation. Texas A & M is not in the NFL.
strbrst777
Bad idea...soon to be more than an idea. That's it: I will not donate one dime more than the required donation. Texas A & M is not in the NFL.
Cerdock
AG
I will tell you that "Saw varsity's horns off" will become a whole new adventure for some. I know from first hand experience that unpleasantness may follow for them - and for the people around them.
hornsoff
AG
Relax.....Just another sign of the times. Now no need for guzzling before the game---wait and enjoy a FEW during the game. Trust me, the cost will help keep you under control. Drink responsibly and all is well.
sharpdressedman
The cost of alcohol will be very high in order to score much revenue while limiting the the drunkenness by means of limiting the individual fan's ability to pay. Flasks will continue to be the preferred alcohol delivery system. The "carding" of students amidst the vast proliferation of fake IDs and the legion of "behavioral police" will be equally ineffective, comical, and awkward. But, hey, there is money to be made so pour away. JMO
mmont
AG
I'm curious to see which swill peddling brewery conglomerate will win out as the "Official Beer of A&M Football". I know myself and many like me utilized the games as an opportunity to get our wits about us. Loosing any minute of those valuable 3.5 hours will surely result in a boon for the Brazos County Jail.
Bird Poo
AG
CJAG90 said:

I will tell you that "Saw varsity's horns off" will become a whole new adventure for some. I know from first hand experience that unpleasantness may follow for them - and for the people around them.

Universities that have started selling alcohol in the stands have seen a REDUCTION in alcohol related events. Know why? Because people aren't chugging a flask of 90 proof whiskey as a means to loosen up. All of the alcohol incidents I've witnessed over the years was due to booze.
msandusky
Sad to see that A&M has gone this direction - We quit going to the A&M Arkansas game because of all the drunks spilling beer and being obnoxious around us in the stands. So I agree with the majority on this - bad idea.But money rules.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
This is a great idea. Finally out of the teetotaling phase.
AggieBlu
AG
New Yell:

Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink, T-A-M-C, (faster) Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink, T-A-M-C, (faster)Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink Drink, T-A-M-C.....whoooo. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-A, Drink, Drink, Drink Team A-Whoop!!!!!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
mullokmotx
AG
Beer was sold at 4 NCAA Tournament events I went to so far in 2019. Women's basketball in Chicago, and women's tennis, softball and track and field in Austin.
West Point Aggie
AG
msandusky said:

Sad to see that A&M has gone this direction - We quit going to the A&M Arkansas game because of all the drunks spilling beer and being obnoxious around us in the stands. So I agree with the majority on this - bad idea.But money rules.

I guess no one ever got drunk at Kyle before going INSIDE the stadium?
XpressAg09
AG
Quote:

Maybe people won't get belligerent beforehand if they can have a few during the game...
Beers are about $1.25 outside the stadium...they'll be $12.50 inside.
Bodhi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

double aught said:

Drunks in Kyle Field.

Maybe the olds will actually ****ing cheer now
Bodhi
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

double aught said:

This will not end well.

Oh at pro games.....where people cheer and get excited and don't sit on their old fat asses all game
W
AG
the problem is the disingenuous behavior from the athletic department.

beer is being sold to make more money...not to provide more "amenities."

please just come out and say it.

------
reminds me of when College Station added red light cameras and said the primary reason was "safety."

Wrong. The primary reason was to generate more revenue
jadams77450
What do want to bet they run out of food as usual before they run out of beer!! The concessions have been a joke since stadium completion.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
jadams77450 said:

What do want to bet they run out of food as usual before they run out of beer!! The concessions have been a joke since stadium completion.

Considering the beer stands won't be run by Levy, my guess is very likely!
Cen-Tex
AG
Bad idea. Don't see a benefit. More drunks at the game, more drunks on the road. And it's not like the school needs the money either.
Class of 65
AG
What is wrong with you? You have to slug it out to loosen up?
Alterna63
Relax folks. Yes, people have been doing this for years anyway. What's the bid deal? There isn't one in my opinion. Waaaaay overdue. More power to em.
aeon-ag
CanyonAg77 said:

double aught said:

Drunks in Kyle Field.
What do peple have against it????!!!!!
There's enough damned fools during a game without alcohol. Now that it's available there will be even more fools!
AGDAD14
What is surprising to me is how fast the decision was made by the University? Was there a large population of donors or fans demanding the sale of alcohol (outside of premium areas)? I wonder if the current contract with Levy or whoever already contemplated this action by the SEC, and therefore the decision was made a few years ago.

Other thoughts.... there will be fewer "12th man" standing for the entire game.

In stadiums that sell beer, I usually end of up standing (or sitting) in someone else's beer puddle. People drink soda's with a lid on thru a straw, but people drink beer in an open cup.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.