Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Lawyers...To quoat the late great Waylon Jennings AFR

6,252 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AGDAD14
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Tell me one more time just so I'll understand it."

I watched a simulation on YouTube of the 2019 A&M Auburn game. They must have had big money on Auburn from the play calling, but that's beside the point.

Several ads for ESPN and Nissan. How is it this commercial enterprise can use the players names and likeness and no one is compensated? I'm not in the camp for paying the players, but this just does not seem right.

I know I asked this question a few years back, but I need a refresher course. Thanks in advance.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tobias Funke
AG
Crocs
AG
If the simulation was through NCAA '13/'14, people are able to create rosters with players' names accurate to that particular year. For example, someone could make a roster for the 2019 season, with the quarterback renamed to Kellen Mond and the running back renamed to Jashaun Corbin. That is not EA doing it; that is the video game community creating and uploading rosters for other players to use.

If you buy any copy of NCAA '14 and play as Texas A&M, your quarterback won't be named Johnny Manziel, he'll be QB #2, with a face that looks nothing like Johnny in the slightest.

What got EA in such hot water surrounding the NCAA Football franchise was using the players numbers (and thus, their likeness) without compensation.

Hope this helps
rbcs_2
AG
I waste as much time as the next guy but watching a video game simulation of a football game?
ghowe
AG
I think you need to ask yourself why you are against paying the players to play.

Paying them for using their image, likeness, name, autograph, etc... is WAY more fraught to with problems than paying them to play.
mitchdpm
AG
They are being paid to play: Tuition, housing, food (dietitian guidance), training, education, tutoring, etc.
jagvocate
AG
Antitrust protection for the NFL NBA and MLB causes amateurism problems in the NCAA.

I'd love college football just as much if everyone who never liked school could go pro or semipro and "get paid"' while student athletes could continue under the current system.

95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

They are being paid to play: Tuition, housing, food (dietitian guidance), training, education, tutoring, etc.
A mere pittance compared to the revenue they bring the university.
ColoradoMooseHerd
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

I think you do not understand the true costs. How much do you think they should be paid?
ghowe
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

95_Aggie said:

Quote:

I think you do not understand the true costs. How much do you think they should be paid?
You make a good point. What are the true revenue and cost figures?
03_Aggie
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

Agreed. Just look at all the revenue a lot of them brought to the AAF. Almost enough to make one whole season before declaring bankruptcy.
aggiejim70
AG
Tobias Funke said:

And that sports fans is why you should not get on line when you're tired.

My bad, but at least somebody caught it. Last year I posted on the San Antonio board about an event to take place in Augest and nobody caught it.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Hamburger Dan
Op had me at late, great, Waylon Jennings.
Sparkie
AG
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

The NCAA controls the accounting of loans for facilities and such. After operating costs, A&M breaks even.

Revenue is useless if all the profits are spent supporting athletics.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Several ads for ESPN and Nissan. How is it this commercial enterprise can use the players names and likeness and no one is compensated? I'm not in the camp for paying the players, but this just does not seem right.
The players probably have a good civil case against the maker of the video.

How do you propose they split up the $20 in ad money?
ghowe
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Tobias Funke said:

And that sports fans is why you should not get on line when you're tired.

My bad, but at least somebody caught it. Last year I posted on the San Antonio board about an event to take place in Augest and nobody caught it.
Everyone caught it, but doesn't feel the need to ,,,,, well you get it.
AGDAD14
When the revenue they bring to the University is large enough to cover all the costs and investments where the University and 12th Man Foundation no longer need DONORS, then I might be in favor of paying all college student athletes something other than tuition, tutoring, and housing. Otherwise "they" can keep writing thank you notes to the DONORS, just like my daughter did for her engineering scholarships.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.