Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Texas A&M adds Southlake Carroll TE Blake Smith to 2020 class

June 2, 2019

Southlake Carroll tight end Blake Smith‍ has been one of the hottest prospects in Texas this spring, attracting offers from coast to coast. Now, he is a Texas A&M Aggie.

At 6-5, 245-pounds, Smith is known for his versatility and intelligence. The former quarterback turned tight end runs precise routes and has big hands. He is also known for his physical blocking style in the trenches.

Texas A&M extended an offer this spring following an unofficial visit, and the Aggies were also his first official visit the weekend of June 1.

In May, Smith released a top 10 of Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, NC State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, and Washington, and he also held offers from the likes of LSU, Florida State, and Miami.

He is Texas A&M’s seventh commitment of the 2020 recruiting class and the only tight end. He is currently ranked No. 70 in the TexAgs.com 2020 Texas Top 100.

We’ll have more soon for TexAgs Premium subscribers.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M adds Southlake Carroll TE Blake Smith to 2020 class

18,595 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cavscout96
Leander - Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ctownaggie
whatthehey78
ArbAg
Mike Elko
Bill Superman
AG
Tight End U soon enough
mcag83
AG
Yeah.
Like anyone can even know that.
Deerhunter04
AG
Did he have offers from all of those schools? Pretty impressive offer list for a 3* guy. Whoop!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charlie 31
Vepp
Z Team
Amazing Moves
bmorton
aggieband 83
LesterHaze

He's a universal 3 star by the index finger quote experts. Meanwhile the coaches at Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and 20 other programs are camped out in the kid's front yard. Pretty funny.

Hunter Goodwin type athlete. Clearly an upper 4 star. Quality commit for the good guys!
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
LesterHaze said:

He's a universal 3 star by the index finger quote experts. Meanwhile the coaches at Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and 20 other programs are camped out in the kid's front yard. Pretty funny.

Hunter Goodwin type athlete. Clearly an upper 4 star. Quality commit for the good guys!

Yeah, I know nothing about him at all, but I can look at his offer list. 33 offers and counting. And as you point out, many of those are from the top programs in the country.

You'd think the "experts" would be at least tuned in enough to notice.

Perhaps they think they are better talent evaluators than the best coaches in the country?
WC94
AG
Sips didn't offer, or he would have been bumped up to a 4 star over night...
A New Hope
He has a lot of offers for a 3*.

He's gonna be big time.
LesterHaze
4 said:

LesterHaze said:

Yeah, I know nothing about him at all, but I can look at his offer list. 33 offers and counting. And as you point out, many of those are from the top programs in the country.

You'd think the "experts" would be at least tuned in enough to notice.

Perhaps they think they are better talent evaluators than the best coaches in the country?

I think people only need to understand the simple evolution of these media platforms. Pre internet and for many prior years, recruiting "gurus" simply called the recruits, stayed in touch with coaches the best they could and shared their info with us about where a particular recruit might be leaning. This was the only major service they provided and people were happy to pay for it. Myself included, because you got scoop ahead of schedule and before you could otherwise learn about it much later in the newspaper or on tv. Basically they were recruiting scoop providers. BL made his reputation by being accurate with his news. Most others in the industry were gossip columnist by way of comparison. To be certain, BL was one of the good guys with integrity.

When the internet suddenly hit hard and fast, most of the same information providers were suddenly cast as "sports analysts" for their site affiliation. Major fail at the time and still failing miserably as it relates to the poster's question above in my opinion. I don't see scoop providers and those who know how to break down film and rank players/recruits according to their ability to be difference makers on the field as the same people.

That's my view of why you see 3 star recruits with offers from Alabama, Ohio State, LSU and 4 star recruits with offers from Mizzou, West Virginia, Arizona.

My .02 cents.

C Loves L
All you need to know:
Plays for South Carroll, offers from Alabama, Ohio St, LSU, Michigan, Florida state, Miami

More of this please
SA Ag
Southlake
Blake had a great year for the Dragons in 2018. Lined up all over the field - H Back, WR, TE and was the back up QB. In the spring game, he played som QB and was easily flicking the ball 60 yards with minimal arc. Seems to get bigger every time you see him without losing quickness and foot speed. Very coordinated and smooth. Catches anything near him. Never misses a block. Very popular team leader. I don't know if they've announced this year's team captains yet, but no doubt he'll be one.
aggieland09
dixichkn
AG
WC94 said:

Sips didn't offer, or he would have been bumped up to a 4 star over night...
Could still happen, if he Bru McCoy's us.
cavscout96
AG
Quote:

Now, he is a Texas A&M Aggie
FIFY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.