Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M's All-Time Depth Chart: Linebackers

May 31, 2019

Throughout its football history Texas A&M has produced a veritable galaxy of celebrated stars.

Some won national awards. Dozens received All-American recognition. Literally hundreds have been named to all-conference teams, some multiple times. A handful never were adequately honored for their accomplishments.

A few of these stars made immediate impacts as freshmen. Some developed into standouts as sophomores or juniors. There were even those that did not emerge until their senior seasons.

They arrived as five-, four-, ,three- or two-star high school recruits. They transferred from other major college programs. They came from junior college.

Some played in the Southwest Conference. Others played in the Big 12 or the Southeastern Conference. They played in the ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and into the 2000s.

A number played before platoon football. Some started at one position and moved to another. There were those that excelled on offense, some on defense, some on special teams.

Some were great in college and greater in the pros. Some had long NFL careers. Some had brief tenures as professionals. Some were All-Pros. One was even a Super Bowl MVP.

They were black, white, bi-racial and even Vietnamese. Some were from the inner city. Others were from rural areas. Most were from Texas, though many came from out of state.

Yet, at least one thing they had in common was the fact they were listed high on the depth chart — football’s hierarchy that designates first team, second team and third team.

With that in mind, TexAgs is unveiling in four stages its All-Time Texas A&M football depth chart.

First, we’ll look at offensive skill positions, followed by offensive linemen and tight ends, then defensive front seven and concluding with secondary and special teams.

Of course, when star gazing individuals might focus on different constellations. Check the stars on the TexAgs depth chart to determine if they’d be the stars on yours.

Inside Linebackers (6)

Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Dat Nguyen played seven seasons in the NFL after setting the Aggie record for career tackles.

Dat Nguyen (1995-98): All-American. Lombardi Trophy Award recipient. Three-time All-Big 12. Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Holds A&M record with 517 career tackles. Led A&M in tackles all four seasons of his career.

Ed Simonini (1972-75): All-American. Four-time All-Southwest Conference. Posted 425 total tackles. Led Aggies in tackling in three of his four seasons. 

Johnny Holland (1983-86): Two-time All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Posted 455 career tackles, the second-highest total in A&M history

Quentin Coryatt (1990-91): All-Southwest Conference. Posted 184 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 4 passes broken up and one pulverizing hit on a TCU receiver in two seasons.

Bill Hobbs (1966-68): Two-time All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Southwest Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 1967. Career tackle totals are not available. He had 11 career interceptions — the most for an A&M linebacker — and holds an A&M record with a 100-yard return for a touchdown against TCU in 1967.

Robert Jackson (1975-76): All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Career stats are unavailable, but in 1976 he posted a team-leading 143 tackles.

Outside Linebackers (6)

Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Von Miller was the second overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft after spending four years with the Aggies.

Von Miller (2007-2010): Two-time All-American. Butkus Award recipient. Two-time All-Big 12. Posted 181 career tackles, 33 career sacks, forced seven fumbles and had three interceptions.

John Roper (1985-88): All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Posted 36 career sacks. Had 68 overall tackles for loss in his career. 

Aaron Wallace (1986-89): Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Holds A&M career record with 42 sacks. Posted 167 career tackles, 8 forced fumbles and 24 tackles for loss.

Marcus Buckley (1990-92): All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Posted 29 career sacks and 173 tackles.

William Thomas (1987-90): Two-time All-Southwest Conference. Posted 21.5 career sacks, 249 tackles, three interceptions, three forced fumbles and was credited with a single-season 30 quarterback pressures in 1990.

Keith Mitchell (1993-96): All-American. All-Southwest Conference. All-Big 12. Posted 34 career sacks, 18.5 more for loss and 139 total tackles.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M's All-Time Depth Chart: Linebackers

19,404 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cecil77
TexanJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought Buckley made the hit?
SA68AG
AG
That is an elite group of players !
PLUM LOCO
AG
Coryatt thinks he did "The Hit"

He signed my helmet Quentin Coryatt "The Hit"

Dread Pirate Roberts
Anyone could play CB behind that group since the QB will he sacked in less than two seconds!
Amazing Moves
Antonio Armstrong also.
Bachelor99
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Antonio Armstrong also.
RIP
Dolemite
AG
Warrick Holdman belongs on this list.
Southlake
Larry Kelm

Johnny Holland
aeon-ag
John David Crow, yes he played both ways and was drafted as linebacker in his first year in the pros, St Louis Cardinals. Lee Roy Caffee, the first Aggie on a winning Super Bowl team, Super Bowl I.
jeremyd
AG
Reggie Brown
cecil77
AG
Wasn't Simonini an outside linebacker? Jackson played middle? I know I'm getting old - just can't remember. I could swear that in '75 Simonini and Ten Napel were outside and Jackson inside in the 4-3?
war hymn aggie
AG
Looking at that list makes me realize that we have had some dang good LB'ers that have played here over the years.
Let's hope we can add a few more names to this list here in the next few years....
okieAg94
AG
Simonini did play outside. I have a friend that knows him and passed on the list to him. He pointed that out.
wisdom
AG
Where is Joe Wellborn?

Letters: Football 1963, '64 & '65

Team Captain 1965
All-SWC as a linebacker 1965
First Aggie Heart Award Recipient 1965

Career Accomplishments:

Played Professional Ball for the New York Giants 1966-67
12th Man Endowed Donor

cecil77
AG
okieAg94 said:

Simonini did play outside. I have a friend that knows him and passed on the list to him. He pointed that out.

He played inside for the Colts, somebody just got lazy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.