Story Poster
TE & OL
Steve McKinney Q&A
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M's All-Time Depth Chart: Offensive Linemen & Tight Ends

May 29, 2019

Throughout its football history Texas A&M has produced a veritable galaxy of celebrated stars.

Some won national awards. Dozens received All-American recognition. Literally hundreds have been named to all-conference teams, some multiple times. A handful never were adequately honored for their accomplishments.

A few of these stars made immediate impacts as freshmen. Some developed into standouts as sophomores or juniors. There were even those that did not emerge until their senior seasons.

They arrived as five-, four-, ,three- or two-star high school recruits. They transferred from other major college programs. They came from junior college.

Some played in the Southwest Conference. Others played in the Big 12 or the Southeastern Conference. They played in the ‘50s, ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and into the 2000s.

A number played before platoon football. Some started at one position and moved to another. There were those that excelled on offense, some on defense, some on special teams.

Some were great in college and greater in the pros. Some had long NFL careers. Some had brief tenures as professionals. Some were All-Pros. One was even a Super Bowl MVP.

They were black, white, bi-racial and even Vietnamese. Some were from the inner city. Others were from rural areas. Most were from Texas, though many came from out of state.

Yet, at least one thing they had in common was the fact they were listed high on the depth chart — football’s hierarchy that designates first team, second team and third team.

With that in mind, TexAgs is unveiling in four stages its All-Time Texas A&M football depth chart.

First, we’ll look at offensive skill positions, followed by offensive linemen and tight ends, then defensive front seven and concluding with secondary and special teams.

Of course, when star gazing individuals might focus on different constellations. Check the stars on the TexAgs depth chart to determine if they’d be the stars on yours.

Matt Sachs, TexAgs
Jace Sternberger is a tight end record-holder for the Aggies, and was a big part of the team’s success last season.

Tight Ends (3)

Jace Sternberger (2018): All-American, All-Southeastern Conference. In just one season in College Station, Sternberger caught 48 passes for 832 yards and 10 touchdowns. He set the A&M single-season tight end records for receiving yards and career touchdown receptions.

Rod Bernstine (1983-86): All-Southwest Conference. Bernstine shares an A&M career record for receptions by a tight end with 105. He led the Aggies in receiving in 1986 with 65 catches for 710 yards and 5 TDs.

Martellus Bennett (2005-07): All-Big 12. Bennett shares A&M’s career record for receptions by a tight end with 105. He also holds the A&M career record for receiving yards by a tight end with 1,246.

Tackles (6)

Luke Joeckel (2010-12): Outland Trophy winner, All-American, All-Southeastern Conference. Joeckel started all 39 of his collegiate career.

Richmond Webb (1986-89): All-Southwest Conference.

Jake Matthews (2010-13): Two-time All-American. Two-time All-Southeastern Conference.

Cody Risien (1976-78): Two-time All-Southwest Conference.

Jason Mathews (1991-93): All-Southwest Conference.

Glenn Bujnoch (1973-75): Two-time All-Southwest Conference.

Guards (6)

Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports
Steve McKinney was All-Big 12 at Texas A&M then played in the NFL for a decade.

Calvin Collins (1993-96): Two-time All-Southwest Conference, All-Big 12. 

Steve McKinney (1994-97): All-Big 12.

Jerry Fontenot (1985-88): All-Southwest Conference.

Dennis Swilley (1973-76): All-Southwest Conference.

Joe Routt (1935-37): Two-time All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference. 

Marshall Robnett (1938-40): All-American. Two-time All-Southwest Conference

Centers (3)

Erik McCoy (2016-18): Started all 39 games of his collegiate career and was a team captain as a junior.

Seth McKinney (1998-2001): Two-time All-Big 12.

Mike Arthur (1987-90): All-American, All-Southwest Conference.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M's All-Time Depth Chart: Offensive Linemen & Tight Ends

15,145 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by texasag91
SA68AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'd have Bernstine as first team TE. He was faster and a better overall athlete than Jace.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
SA,

Definitely. Jace was really good - for a single season.

Bernstine was a weapon all four years of his career.
TEXAS
AGGIES
-----------------------------
National Champions
1917, 1919, 1927, 1939
jimmo
Mighty Mo.. cant even make 3rd team?
wow
W
AG
uh, the gang needs to go back and watch video of the Auburn Cotton Bowl and several other games from the 85 & 86 seasons.

Rod was a man among the boys at TE --- it's not close
Zosima
I feel like Charlie Krueger should be on there. I think he should be on both sides of the ball.
PLUM LOCO
AG
The first thing I thought when I saw the list was Rod Bernstine was definitely better than Jace for a much longer time also. He was also NFL ready being drafted in the 1st round.
mjhhawk
I think any list like this tends to skew more recent. I'd definitely go Bernstine over Jace as well. He was a monster for multiple years while Jace was a great pass receiver for one year. And Seth McKinney started 50 games and was 2nd team AA as a senior. He should get the nod over McCoy (who grew into one of my favorite Ags ever).
TMeek
Patrick Lewis not even listed??!! Best Center of all!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Mr. Ectomy said:

SA,

Definitely. Jace was really good - for a single season.

Bernstine was a weapon all four years of his career.
Bernstein was a running back before he was moved to TE in the fall of 1985, and he was rarely used as a TE until his breakout game against Auburn in the 1986 Cotton Bowl.

So really he was good for one full year as a TE.
texasag91
AG
What? Cody Wallace? Come on. He should be on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.