Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M announces R.C. Slocum as interim AD

12,746 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PorkEatingCrusader
Stewade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Full release from Texas A&M:
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, April 19, 2019 Special Assistant to the President R.C. Slocum has been named interim athletic director by Texas A&M President Michael K. Young.

Young said that it's important to have a person who is intimately familiar with the inner workings of college athletics and Texas A&M University leading the department while a national search is conducted. The search begins immediately.

"R.C. has served as an Ambassador for Texas A&M for decades," Young said. "While reporting to me as a special assistant, R.C. has demonstrated his dedication to this University and always is an exemplary representative for Aggies everywhere. He has shown proven leadership with coaches, staff and student athletes throughout his many roles at Texas A&M University."

Slocum coached the A&M football program for 14 seasons from 1989-2002, never having a losing season and becoming the winningest coach in the university's history. He won four conference championships including the 1998 Big 12 crown. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 2012. He is a member of the College Football Playoff selection committee. He's also a member of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans.

Slocum said he was honored when President Young asked him to take the interim position overseeing a department that has 260 or so employees. More than 650 student-athletes compete at the NCAA Division 1-A level in 20 varsity sports.

"I've been involved with Texas A&M for 47 years, and have deep feelings about the University. I feel like we're right on the cusp of greatness with our athletic programs. My role is to keep the momentum going forward until a permanent AD is hired, as well as to assure Aggies, coaches and athletes that nothing has changed. Texas A&M is poised to enter into one of our greatest era of achievements. We have great coaches in place, state-of-the-art facilities and our alumni have been unbelievable supporters of our programs. I'm excited about what's ahead."

Scott Woodward, who was hired as athletic director at Texas A&M 3 years ago, announced Thursday that he is taking the same position at LSU, which is his alma mater. Young said in a statement released Thursday that he wishes Woodward the best in his new role.

No deadline has been set for the hiring of the new athletic director.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
A is A
Oryx
Hell yea retro af
MROD92
Gosh damn, great great move
sbs
schwack schwack
mcag83
AG
RC
Like anyone can even know that.
technoviking
AG
Will R.C. have a finger on the pulse of the zoo??
BQCadet
AG
As long as he isn't the permenant one
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MROD92
Was Wally Groff unavailable??
BTHOB-98
Agsrback12
Remember when we made fun of tech when their chancellor ran off Mike Leach?
agz win
AG
Great choice to stabilize the situation and place a well respected name out there until a search can be conducted for our next AD. Kudos to RC for helping on this.
agent-maroon
AG
If anybody at A&M knows the necessity of committing adequate resources to field a competitive team and what happens to your program when you don't, it's RC Slocum.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Triple-T
AG
RC was a great coach for us and has remained a forever loyal ambassador for us.

We can all learn a lot from his example.

Thanks for staying true to the home team, Coach.

Gig 'em.
gocobra
AG
I love RC. Great man. Great Aggie. Did great things for A&M in his day. Great pick for TEMPORARY AD.

But I'm starting to worry that now that Woodward got the ship headed in the right direction and A&M is looking like a real national contender in the near future some of the old Ags want to jump in there and bath in the sunlight. Not RC necessarily but you get what I'm saying. Is this what's screwing up our athletics now that we finally have a good head of steam? A bunch of old birds screaming out, " Mine! Mine! Mine!"?

Woodward, Jimbo, Buzz.... please please please get out of their way and let this ship sail. These guys know what they are doing.. so let them do it. Just give them what they need and we can all enjoy the voyage.

Everybody else take a few steps back. DON'T SCREW THIS UP!
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Great choice to stabilize the situation and place a well respected name out there until a search can be conducted for our next AD. Kudos to RC for helping on this.
As long as this is an interim position this seems like a reasonable approach. Hopefully its the stabilizing force it needs to be.
Quote:

I love RC. Great man. Great Aggie. Did great things for A&M in his day. Great pick for TEMPORARY AD.

But I'm starting to worry that now that Woodward got the ship headed in the right direction and A&M is looking like a real national contender in the near future some of the old Ags want to jump in there and bath in the sunlight. Not RC necessarily but you get what I'm saying. Is this what's screwing up our athletics now that we finally have a good head of steam? A bunch of old birds screaming out, " Mine! Mine! Mine!"?

Woodward, Jimbo, Buzz.... please please please get out of their way and let this ship sail. These guys know what they are doing.. so let them do it. Just give them what they need and we can all enjoy the voyage.

Everybody else take a few steps back. DON'T SCREW THIS UP!
I agree and this is my concern as well.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Where is Panhandle Slim?
Mr. Black
Gig 'em, Coach Slocum!
greg.w.h
AG
Good luck. Not sure you realize what you stepped into and I'll add that Young seeming to reform your reputation by having you take this on might not be in your best interests.

On the other hand: please recognize that all of our intercollegiate athletics deserve your support. I know you know that. Mainly reminding the rest of us.

And please help Jimbo get all the support he needs. You are uniquely qualified to understand that.
ILuvAgLand
Great move.
West Point Aggie
AG
RC "Muy" Loco...if I recall a certain poster
Let’s Go Brandon!
EKUAg
AG
technoviking said:

No one has that.
greg.w.h
AG
EKUAg said:

technoviking said:

No one has that.

Watch the Pulse if you want a pulse...
dixichkn
AG
Oryx said:

Hell yea retro af
So is the BDF. Wanna go back?
BQCadet
AG
C@LAg said:

BQCadet said:

As long as he isn't the permenant one
can he be the permanent one?

Absolutely not
Aero95
AG
This is a good thing!
greg.w.h
AG
I'll add: I don't believe we need a former student as AD. Or a former coach. This move feels more like a desire to rewind to Jackie being head coach and AD as a form of nostalgia. It was a key finding to separate the two positions if I recall correctly.
BullSprig07
AG
I can't be the only one who is paranoid that the old crony ags will remove the interim tag in a few months cause RC gave them a few good feeling slabs on the back, he "gets A&M" and he will do it for cheap.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Very happy that RC named INTERIM AD

Please remember the word INTERIM,

RC can get us through this for the short term but please do a complete search and find the best person that is available that has not been an AD here.

This is the SEC. It is not the SWC or BDF,

No room for Good Ole Boys.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
agent-maroon
AG
BQCadet said:

Absolutely not
Why not? As long as he gets along with Jimbo and commits the necessary resources to our athletic programs I think we could do a lot worse. It's not like he's going to force Jimbo into running his offense or something.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Born Maroon
AG
Triple-T said:

RC was a great coach for us and has remained a forever loyal ambassador for us.

We can all learn a lot from his example.

Thanks for staying true to the home team, Coach.

Gig 'em.
Oryx
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.