Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why do people assume LSU is gunning for Jimbo?

15,894 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Traveler
coupland boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This looks like familiar territory for us. We get jittery about losing a coach and then we give our guy a raise.......
Azeew
Because they have sand in their JJ
Allen76
AG
Quote:

Why do people assume LSU is gunning for Jimbo?

Because getting Jimbo is all LSU fans talked about in Les Miles last year (or two). The LSU fans I know are very hard on their coaches. They constantly complain about almost every LSU coach.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Here are some of the facts:

- Jimbo turned down LSU twice before (among other schools)
- Jimbo just stated how happy he is here, and with the people here that make a difference in football
- Jimbo has a 10 year and $75 million contract
- Jimbo is a man of his word

Yes it sucked to lose Woodward. However, it just isn't logical to assume Jimbo will follow him to LSU at any point based on the facts, and his relationship with A&M.
DSAG
DrZ said:

Every LSU fan I know, which is a lot, doesn't like coach O and wishes they had Jimbo.
They all feel like it was only money that kept them from getting him the first time.
Every LSU fan I know doesn't think Coach O is the answer but they do not like Jimbo.
They really wanted Herman .
DSAG
halfastros81 said:

The state and school is resource poor but there are key donors that are not and they might be willing to ante up. It won't be easy coming up with that kind of cash tho. My biased opinion is that Jimbo is set up
To succeed here and there's no real reason to jump unless he can't get along with the new AD.
I think Jimbo is here to stay.
He has a hell of a contract. (No buyout.)
I give him 4 years to win the SEC before I start complaining.
walton91
Tamu_mgm said:

- Jimbo just stated how happy he is here, and with the people here that make a difference in football

Yes it sucked to lose Woodward. However, it just isn't logical to assume Jimbo will follow him to LSU at any point based on the facts, and his relationship with A&M.
He likes it here? He's a man of his word? That is classic, misguided fan thinking. The truth is coaches are nomads. They always have been, they always will be. They like it everywhere. They like the people everywhere. He wouldn't be the first major college coach "who likes it here" to move on. His contract? Now, that's a very legit reason he won't leave...for now. In 5 years, though, a contract like that will be rather common and won't be so special anymore.
fightinag
Ifishandlie said:

With the $60m we would have ( no buyout) plus all the money we have...couldn't we pretty much get any coach we want ?
yet, despite this....we had Sumlin !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
HoustonAg2106
AG
walton91 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

He likes it here? He's a man of his word? That is classic, misguided fan thinking. The truth is coaches are nomads. They always have been, they always will be. They like it everywhere. They like the people everywhere. He wouldn't be the first major college coach "who likes it here" to move on. His contract? Now, that's a very legit reason he won't leave...for now. In 5 years, though, a contract like that will be rather common and won't be so special anymore.
In 5 years if he is winning at a high level his contract will be extended and get a raise....if he is not winning at a high level I don't see why LSU or another school would want to pay him more than $7.5 million
Goro Majima
AG
fightinag said:

Ifishandlie said:

With the $60m we would have ( no buyout) plus all the money we have...couldn't we pretty much get any coach we want ?

To be fair, Sumlin in his first year gave us one of our best football seasons ever.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Goro Majima said:

fightinag said:

Ifishandlie said:

To be fair, Johnny in his first year gave us one of our best football seasons ever.

Fify
psybj
LSU fan here.

Jimbo wanted LSU, LA politics got in the way, LSU had the $$$$$$$$ to hire him for what Tamu pays him now.

LSU didn't try to outbid UTx for Herman, Alleva said he wouldn't get into a bidding war against a rich, desperate program.

Facilities are not a problem at LSU; HC gets what HC wants. Just might take a bit longer than at Tamu.

Alleva is out partly because of botched critical situations including the failure to execute firing Miles/hiring Jimbo, and Wade fiasco.

Woody wanted to return home, his family & heart is in BR, etc etc. He did get a raise. Prolly no other AD job he woudda taken.

LSU fans are happy w/ O. He has, we believe, solved the Off problem w/ hire of future OC. Recruiting is tops along w/ Clem & bama this year. Ten Ws vs last year's schedule was amazing and but for a few breaks coudda been 11.

LSU has the $$$$$$$$$ available to hire Jimbo if that situation ever came up but is doubtful; Aranda is a brilliant football coach who will be HC of a top Power 5 school in the future. LSU fans love him. He stayed at LSU despite Aggies run at him last year, maybe because he was promised a close look for HC if O failed.

LSU is -3 @ UTx

Tamu is +15 @ Clemson, -3.5 v AU, + 17 v bama, +13 @ UGA

for some reason cannot find a LSU v Tamu line.
psybj
Goro Majima
AG
psybj said:

LSU fan here.

Jimbo wanted LSU, LA politics got in the way, LSU had the $$$$$$$$ to hire him for what Tamu pays him now.

LSU didn't try to outbid UTx for Herman, Alleva said he wouldn't get into a bidding war against a rich, desperate program.

Facilities are not a problem at LSU; HC gets what HC wants. Just might take a bit longer than at Tamu.

Alleva is out partly because of botched critical situations including the failure to execute firing Miles/hiring Jimbo, and Wade fiasco.

Woody wanted to return home, his family & heart is in BR, etc etc. He did get a raise. Prolly no other AD job he woudda taken.

LSU fans are happy w/ O. He has, we believe, solved the Off problem w/ hire of future OC. Recruiting is tops along w/ Clem & bama this year. Ten Ws vs last year's schedule was amazing and but for a few breaks coudda been 11.

LSU has the $$$$$$$$$ available to hire Jimbo if that situation ever came up but is doubtful; Aranda is a brilliant football coach who will be HC of a top Power 5 school in the future. LSU fans love him. He stayed at LSU despite Aggies run at him last year, maybe because he was promised a close look for HC if O failed.

LSU is -3 @ UTx

Tamu is +15 @ Clemson, -3.5 v AU, + 17 v bama, +13 @ UGA

for some reason cannot find a LSU v Tamu line.
I don't know what you're doing on an A&M board but I hope you people kick the **** out of UTx so badly it scars their souls forever.
ShookAg
AG
as consolation LSU can have slocum - we'll stick with Jimbo thanks

Gig em '90
Traveler
AG
rootube said:

I have a feeling they are in line for a big loss early next year and the wheels are going to fall off.

Of all the things Texags is consistently wrong about every year, "the wheels are going to fall off" at LSU is the one I understand the least. Meanwhile since 2012:
10-3
10-3
8-5
9-3
8-4
9-4
10-3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.