Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why do people assume LSU is gunning for Jimbo?

15,879 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Traveler
Actual Talking Thermos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't mean for this to be an argument about which coach is better, but just looking at the situation...

Coach O won 9 games his first year at LSU. Jimbo won 9 games his first year at A&M. Last year, while Jimbo was winning those 9 games, Coach O won 10. On paper the recruiting classes they brought in last year are roughly equal.

Why does everyone think it's so likely that LSU wants to pay Coach O's buyout, then pay whatever it takes to moneywhip Jimbo away from his already massive moneywhip contract at A&M, all so they can have a different coach who so far has not meaningfully outperformed the coach they already have in the same division? Plus, is Coach O not popular at LSU? The guy seems like he was born to be the mascot for that place, are they that eager to get rid of him?

If A&M makes a big leap forward next year and LSU regresses, then maybe that changes the situation, but that's a couple of fairly significant ifs, and if that happens it also gives Jimbo a lot more incentive to stay in a situation that appears to be working out.

#sipbutnottrolling
rbcs_2
AG
Because Jimbo referenced his relationship with Woodward at his introductory press conference.
DrZ
AG
Every LSU fan I know, which is a lot, doesn't like coach O and wishes they had Jimbo.
They all feel like it was only money that kept them from getting him the first time.
C Loves L
Who wouldn't want Jimbo?
C Loves L
Also, ESPN assumes LSU will go after Jimbo at some point
frogagg
Because espn is esipn - hey are using this for recruiting against Jimbo = Duh!!
ironmanag
AG
LSU literally cannot offer Jimbo anything that we can't match.

It is all just BAS.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Has Jimbo made any statements publically about Woodward leaving?
Ifishandlie
AG
Just for grins say Jimbo left ...

With the $60m we would have ( no buyout) plus all the money we have...couldn't we pretty much get any coach we want ?
PigInABlanket
AG
74-72
Wabs
AG
They broke AF. Jimbo ain't going anywhere.
coondog004
LSU tried twice to get Jimbo before. They couldn't because of Joe Alleva and the fact they're financially broke. About four years ago, the Governor made a comment about the financial crisis in the state that he said they might have to cancel LSU football season. That's why Les Miles stayed one more year before he was fired. The only reason Woodward is leaving is because it's home. He will be taking a pay cut going there. Louisiana has state taxes and they will take more than their fair share. LSU facilities are not good as ours and I could list other reasons. I don't believe the Sharp talk because Woodward would have already left if that was the case plus he has top cover from President Young who brought him here. Right now I feel it's speculation until the official announcement from the school. In this job he has it all, going to LSU he will have big issues to deal with.
halfastros81
AG
The state and school is resource poor but there are key donors that are not and they might be willing to ante up. It won't be easy coming up with that kind of cash tho. My biased opinion is that Jimbo is set up
To succeed here and there's no real reason to jump unless he can't get along with the new AD.
halfastros81
AG
But what other Coach is a better fit for the situation ? I can't think of any.
ABATTBQ11
AG
halfastros81 said:

The state and school is resource poor but there are key donors that are not and they might be willing to ante up. It won't be easy coming up with that kind of cash tho. My biased opinion is that Jimbo is set up
To succeed here and there's no real reason to jump unless he can't get along with the new AD.

The donors could make some things happen at LSU, but I don't think they have the long term clout that we do. Jimbo signed on because our donors put their money where their mouth was and showed long term commitment not just with his contract, but facilities and support programs. Jimbo knows that as long as he's here, if he's winning or showing progress, all he has to do is ask, and the money will come from somewhere. He won't find that at many places, and I don't think LSU is one of them.
TMF
AG
Even if they could pay Jimbo or he was willing to go for less they couldn't pay y'all of the assistants what we do. Jimbo knows that. You need great assistants. Coach O was a budget hire so they could pay the assistants reasonably well. LSU cannot do both.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
LSU is actually in the Pre-RC firing regime. They have Big Money donors that would probably pay for a coach, but really need to pay for facilities. The issue is that the school itself ( see tenured professors) will cry foul because of how much money the new coach could make compared to them. ( See tu and the last pay bump of Mack Brown)

We at least have good school facilities for actual academic purposes ( that new Zachary is NICE) LSU doesn't have that either.
Actual Talking Thermos
What LSU does have is arguably the biggest built-in recruiting advantage of any school in the country. They're the only P5 school in the state that produces the most NFL players per capita. Practically every one of those players grows up rooting for LSU, even if they also root for a smaller school near them. When they dream of playing big-time college football, LSU is the default place they're going to imagine themselves. That's big. If you're a coach on the fence about whether to go to LSU, that's something that probably nobody else can offer you. Look at the sustained success Les Miles had with no semblance of offensive creativity or standout QB play, just a roster stacked with physical freaks that could run over opponents.

But as many have pointed out, it's doubtful they could offer Jimbo the same resources he already has in other areas, and I really doubt Jimbo lies awake at night worrying about how he can't recruit at A&M. That all seems to be going fine. If he doesn't have success, that won't be the reason.
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
In 2021 Jimbo will be in Baton Rouge, Les Miles will be in College Station, and Bernie Sanders will be in the White House. Don't shoot the messenger.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Jimbo wanted out of Florida State. Nothing points to him wanting out of A&M. The Woodward relationship was just our foot in the door. He's not going to leave his guaranteed, 75 million dollar, all the support in the world, sleeping giant, everything to gain job just because his buddy left.
rootube
AG
coondog004 said:

LSU tried twice to get Jimbo before. They couldn't because of Joe Alleva and the fact they're financially broke. About four years ago, the Governor made a comment about the financial crisis in the state that he said they might have to cancel LSU football season. That's why Les Miles stayed one more year before he was fired. The only reason Woodward is leaving is because it's home. He will be taking a pay cut going there. Louisiana has state taxes and they will take more than their fair share. LSU facilities are not good as ours and I could list other reasons. I don't believe the Sharp talk because Woodward would have already left if that was the case plus he has top cover from President Young who brought him here. Right now I feel it's speculation until the official announcement from the school. In this job he has it all, going to LSU he will have big issues to deal with.
I am not sure you are painting an accurate picture of the LSU football program financial health. LSU can absolutely afford to pay for a top tier coach and since Orgeron is on a short leash we are going to find out how much they are willing to pay. They did balk at paying fisher, and Hermann the last time around but that mistake cost Alleva his job. Problem is that most of the established guys are going to be impossible to pry out of their current situation (Sweeney, Saban, Meyer, Hopefully Fisher). It's much more likely they go with an up and comer like Herman was when he left UH. Of course Orgeron could win a national title next year so who knows maybe Woodward just has to tamp out a little basketball fire.
rootube
AG
Mayhaw Jelly said:

In 2021 Jimbo will be in Baton Rouge, Les Miles will be in College Station, and Bernie Sanders will be in the White House. Don't shoot the messenger.
It's probably more likely that Jimbo will be in College Station, Bernie will be coaching the Jayhawks and Les Miles will be in the White House.
AgLaw02
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Because Jimbo referenced his relationship with Woodward at his introductory press conference.
This is overblown. Press conferences are about strategic communication. Jimbo wasn't going to stand up and say "I'm here for the $75 million." A new coach is going to do 2 things: 1) Talk up the new program and their potential, and 2) praise people. Always praise people. That kind of language is endearing to Jimbo's new boss, and the the fan base. It also communicates something about Jimbo's character - that he values relationships with people.

I take Jimbo at his word. I'm sure he has a great relationship with Woodward. But to think that a $75 million coach at a program with huge potential is going to change schools to follow an athletic director is a stretch.
rootube
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

What LSU does have is arguably the biggest built-in recruiting advantage of any school in the country. They're the only P5 school in the state that produces the most NFL players per capita. Practically every one of those players grows up rooting for LSU, even if they also root for a smaller school near them. When they dream of playing big-time college football, LSU is the default place they're going to imagine themselves. That's big. If you're a coach on the fence about whether to go to LSU, that's something that probably nobody else can offer you. Look at the sustained success Les Miles had with no semblance of offensive creativity or standout QB play, just a roster stacked with physical freaks that could run over opponents.

But as many have pointed out, it's doubtful they could offer Jimbo the same resources he already has in other areas, and I really doubt Jimbo lies awake at night worrying about how he can't recruit at A&M. That all seems to be going fine. If he doesn't have success, that won't be the reason.
Per capita is key in your argument. If coach Fisher, Hermann and Riley can stop the flow of players out of Texas to LA then LSU is in trouble. Bama, Clemson and GA are already hitting them from the east. We just need to squeeze from the other side. Having said that Orgeron is absolutely killing it in recruiting across the board right now. I have a feeling they are in line for a big loss early next year and the wheels are going to fall off.
rootube
AG
Sarduakar said:

LSU is actually in the Pre-RC firing regime. They have Big Money donors that would probably pay for a coach, but really need to pay for facilities. The issue is that the school itself ( see tenured professors) will cry foul because of how much money the new coach could make compared to them. ( See tu and the last pay bump of Mack Brown)

We at least have good school facilities for actual academic purposes ( that new Zachary is NICE) LSU doesn't have that either.
I'm pretty sure professors gave up making more than football coaches in the '70's.
rootube
AG
AgLaw02 said:

rbcs_2 said:

This is overblown. Press conferences are about strategic communication. Jimbo wasn't going to stand up and say "I'm here for the $75 million." A new coach is going to do 2 things: 1) Talk up the new program and their potential, and 2) praise people. Always praise people. That kind of language is endearing to Jimbo's new boss, and the the fan base. It also communicates something about Jimbo's character - that he values relationships with people.

I take Jimbo at his word. I'm sure he has a great relationship with Woodward. But to think that a $75 million coach at a program with huge potential is going to change schools to follow an athletic director is a stretch.
Good point. I think he had a good relationship with the FSU AD. He just was frustrated that he couldn't keep up with the joneses. From what I read it's not like he had a falling out with the AD.
Sam the Sham 2
Fisher isn't going to LSU.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Mayhaw Jelly said:

How about the troll?
SARATOGA
Quote:

LSU literally cannot offer Jimbo anything that we can't match.

It is all just BAS.

AN ENDLESS STREAM OF 4 AND 5 STAR RECRUITS BORN AND BRED TO PLAY FOOSBALL WITH ZERO ACADEMIC STANDARDS OR REGARD FOR MORALITY.

Jimbo could take 5 million from LSU per year and easily make it up in other contracts/sponsors/outside product endorsement as he'll field a Top 5 championship contender.

Triple-T
AG
Does Jimbo "get" lsu?
boxing after dark
AG
Did he take the job at LSU cause his work here in Aggieland was done?

Seems like he is going to LSU cause they need to make coaching hires and he is good at that...
Double Diamond
No
Sam the Sham 2
boxing after dark said:

Did he take the job at LSU cause his work here in Aggieland was done?

Seems like he is going to LSU cause they need to make coaching hires and he is good at that...
Bottom line is he went to LSU because it opened up and its where he has always wanted to be.

Its home.

Just that simple.

austiger
I think LSU fans respect Jimbo but I wouldn't say our fan base is eager to get him. At one time with all the trouble at the QB position, I think fans wanted Jimbo because they knew he'd solve that problem at least.

But we're returning a senior QB and the position looks as good as it has in a long time.

If Orgeron can keep the recruiting momentum and his assistants, we win 10+ games a year. Again, no need for Jimbo.

If this team coming back doesn't have a great season and at least play Alabama close, the seat may get hotter.
TexasLeaguer
AG
Cuz the internet said so
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.