Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Let Me Explain

8,609 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggieaviator
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The position of A.D. is one of the most overrated positions that I've ever known. All that it takes is common sense, and yes, many of you could fill the role. That said, what we need now is a diplomat that can foresee the wave of change coming within the next 3-5 years.
aggieclay
What worries me is after next season, when Orgeron is canned Woodward will target Jimbo.
Buford T. Justice
AG
That's a reality that we have to address.
ConLaw
AG
Buford T. Justice
AG
I'd put Kirby Hocutt at Texas Tech as a good candidate.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Ask the folks in Austin what letting an AD hang on too long and then hiring a miss the next time does to an athletic department
The_Truth
AG
Not next year. Maybe in 3-5 years, and only if Sharp hires a complete moron that pisses off Jimbo.
TexAg91
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

The position of A.D. is one of the most overrated positions that I've ever known. All that it takes is common sense, and yes, many of you could fill the role. That said, what we need now is a diplomat that can foresee the wave of change coming within the next 3-5 years.

Sounds like just the thing a chancellor would say to piss off an AD that has spent a bunch of alumni money...but spent it well
Famous Shoes
AG
aggieclay said:

What worries me is after next season, when Orgeron is canned Woodward will target Jimbo.
The next head football coach for LSU will not be Jimbo Fisher...it'll be Dave Aranda!
aggiehawg
AG
Drako Mallfoy said:

aggieclay said:

The next head football coach for LSU will not be Jimbo Fisher...it'll be Dave Aranda!
And if that doesn't happen and Aranda leaves?
Famous Shoes
AG
aggiehawg said:

Drako Mallfoy said:

aggieclay said:

I figure Ed O has two years left, by that time Elko will probably be gone or close to it..then we hire Dave A!
DallasAg 94
Buford T. Justice said:

So, college athletic departments are good or bad, regardless of the AD?

What makes the difference between a great and average athletic success.

Anyone who thinks the AD position is overrated, themselves have accepted mediocrity.

We hired a football coach that EVERYONE said could never happen. It wasn't just about money... it was about buying into the culture and mindset of the AD.

We hired a basketball coach and lured him away, not because of just money.

Our Athletic success over the past few years has been much improved over years past.
cb1919
AG
aggieclay said:

He can no longer afford Jimbo. I'm not convinced they stuck with Orgeron because he was just the best candidate.
cb1919
AG
I agree that the AD is important but saying it had nothing to do with money is a stretch. 75 million reasons to take a job is pretty convincing.
The Debt
Ever wonder what's the difference between a perennial power in football and a flash in the pan? It all comes down to the administration.

Saban was at Michigan state and LSU. A, now, legendary coach has been part of both those programs but was only mildly successful there. How does a good coach become a great coach? It is having an administration behind you. And that doesnt mean having competent people working behind you, but having the right competent people behind you.
bowhuntr
In all seriousness, since Woodward usually gets who he wants, who is the next coach at LSU (not Jimbo for many reasons already discussed)?
rootube
AG
bowhuntr said:

In all seriousness, since Woodward usually gets who he wants, who is the next coach at LSU (not Jimbo for many reasons already discussed)?
Saying Woodward usually get's who he wants vastly undervalues the financial commitment that the university made that likely had little to do with him. By all accounts Woodward was good at his job and the explosion of threads demonstrates that he was very well liked by everyone at A&M. The one person who has to be thrilled about this is Jimbo and his agent because when LSU inevitably fires Orgeron the most likely scenario is that he turns that into an even bigger payday. Of course that's assuming that we don't struggle next year and the drama queens on here melting down right now don't call for Fishers head half way through next year.
Tamu_mgm
AG
aggiehawg said:

Drako Mallfoy said:

aggieclay said:

I don't see Jimbo leaving for LSU unless somehow our administration does a complete 180 and stops giving Jimbo what he wants - i.e. ability to pay his assistants, future facility upgrades, etc. I really don't see Jimbo leaving, even if Woodward offers in the future.

LSU has no advantage over Texas A&M for a coach to reach the top heights. The only thing that could be argued is the in-state talent pool advantage of Louisiana kids indoctrinated to want to go to LSU since they have grown up. But even then, Jimbo just out-recruited LSU with mostly Texas kids.

It would take a royal screwup and reversal of what our admin. has been doing for Jimbo, along with a truly terrible AD-Head coach relationship to push him towards LSU. Only then would Jimbo consider uprooting because then it would be a similar situation to what happened at FSU (he wouldn't have what he needs to compete at the highest levels consistently). Otherwise LSU is just a lateral move, for what? Just to be with an AD who's also his buddy, all the while he has everything he wants here at A&M and has been building it into a championship level contender?
JJxvi
AG
The AD position is important, but not for the reasons most people think. It's not about being a salesman to pitch your program when you hire a coach, nor is it about being the smartest analyst in the room to pick a coach.

It is about leadership and ability to run a good organization which then good coaches will desire to come be a part of. Good hires aren't made in a couple weeks, they are made years in advance, IMO by appropriate planning, financing, high goals and expectations set by the department.

Far too much emphasis is on the "popularity" of the AD, IMO. I don't believe that Woodward was any better than the best AD we've had (Bill Byrne), but in terms of opinion, many think Woodward walks on water or that Byrne is devil incarnate simply because of perceptions of their popularity and reactions to events that happened to the athletic department in their reign as if they were the mastermind behind each single event that happened rather than just in charge of running a good shop.
Agsuffering@bulaw
The AD at one of the 20 or so big $$ programs is one of the hardest jobs imaginable. Experience at smaller programs often does not prepare.

The AD (at $$$s) is like the Speaker of the House or Senate Majority leader, but without huge PAC money to keep people in line and with a constant reelection campaign. The results are far more public and measurable.

Basically, the AD needs to be able to build consensus regarding hiring and firing and keep the alums donating money. The AD needs to know how hard to push on things like building projects, raising ticket prices, etc. The AD needs to know how much his fanbase values various sports and how far they will go in support of each.

Then, the AD has to deal with major disciplinary issues of coaches who are typically some of the most egotistical people around and athletes who are typically meatheads who would not be on campus but for athletics. They walk a tightrope of public perception, university politics, and other nonsense that has nothing to do with athletics.

A place like A&M is especially difficult since we have a ton of traditions and do not take kindly to them being stepped on, no matter how much more $$$ can be raised in the trade ($B resented the f- out of this). Our bigs also tend to demand a lot more TLC than most.

Successful coaches are not stupid. They know which ADs have the support of the fanbase and admins. They know which ADs will treat them fairly and which will sell the HC out at the drop of a hat. No coach wants an AD who is at risk of being fired, b/c the new AD may not be as supportive as the one who hired him.

Woodward was perfect for us. Sharp f---ed it up, probably b/c he was jealous of how much influence Woodward had. Sharp needs to walk the plank. The bigs need to take the next AD hire out of his hands and only allow Sharp limited control. Or better yet, make wheelchair fire Sharp.

And $B would have been perfect at a place with a limited budget where he did not have to keep so many bigs happy and was not allowed to hire/fire whomever he wanted. $B was a typical AD who could not make the leap to elite money program. Not an accident that Nebraska pushed him out and kind of remarkable he lasted so long with us.
85AustinAg
AG
Couldn't disagree more. Exhibit A - Wally Groff. Exhibit B - Scott Woodward.
McInnis80
Austin, you only need to look to the 40 acres to see the damage that a bad AD can do in less than 2 years. UT is still paying for the reign of error by Steve Patterson.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
The Debt said:

Ever wonder what's the difference between a perennial power in football and a flash in the pan? It all comes down to the administration bagmen.

FIFY
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

"Yeah!"
-Jerry Jones
boxing after dark
AG
With a $75M pocket book and a contract with no buy out... I could have been the AD and the hero.
South Platte
Buford T. Justice said:

I'd put Kirby Hocutt at Texas Tech as a good candidate.
His baseball and basketball hires have been strong. Tech football has become an atrocity under him.
ebag02
AG
boxing after dark said:

With a $75M pocket book and a contract with no buy out... I could have been the AD and the hero.
Give me 200 million and I'll hire Nick Saban. I'm a genius!
GusDavid
AG
That was funny. It must be my age.....
Gigem_94
AG
OP obviously didn't live through the Wally Groff years.
TheBigCat20
AG
Drako Mallfoy said:

aggieclay said:

If we lose Jimbo just promote Elko. He is due to be a hc anyways
Liquid Wrench
cb1919 said:

aggieclay said:

He can no longer afford Jimbo. I'm not convinced they stuck with Orgeron because he was just the best candidate.
It's bizarre how many people seem to think Woodward is taking his boosters with him.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

It's bizarre how many people seem to think Woodward is taking his boosters with him.

A&M does have a big bankroll to play with. LSU does too but not as big. You better keep the good coaches happy from a relationship standpoint because once theyv'e got over $10MM put away how much more do you really need? A&M may have failed to understand that at least once in the past. More money doesn't necessarily make you happy in your job. Competitive money is necessary but not always sufficient.
aggieaviator
AG
Exactly. Although $ is always important, coaches at this stage in their careers are past the point of "needing to get paid". They command a top salary but what is also critically important to them is having the best opportunity to win championships. Saban has a blank check from many programs if he would jump ship. He won't. He knows what Bama brings to the table and it isn't all $$.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.