Story Poster
Photo by John Glaser/USA Today Sports
Texas A&M Football

Resuming the Rivalry: If Texas wants to play A&M again, money talks

February 26, 2019

The Bible tells us there is a time for everything. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to weep and a time to laugh.

With that in mind, there may come a time when Texas A&M and Texas resumes its football rivalry. But now definitely is not the time.

Once, the feeling here was Texas A&M should renew the series because it was a statewide tradition and part of our heritage. I was wrong.

Several factors have changed my point of view, from Texas’ shameless campaigning through the media and the revisionist history of Texas fans to the fact that A&M’s schedule annually is already significantly more challenging than the Longhorns’.

Last summer Texas coach Tom Herman called for the series to resume. He said in a radio interview:  “In my perfect world, you would play one big-time Power 5 [non-conference] opponent.”

Fine. A&M plays Clemson. You can’t get more big-time than the national champion. In upcoming seasons A&M will also play Notre Dame and Miami. Big time opponents.

Yet, the media—state and national—reacted with a barrage of articles that seemed intent on pressuring A&M to do what Texas wanted. Sorry. That ship sailed in 2012.

Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Then-A&M president Bowen Loftin offered to continue the series after A&M joined the SEC, but Texas declined.

Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte could have phoned A&M AD Scott Woodward and asked if a game could be scheduled. If Woodward had said no, Del Conte could call another team to schedule a game.

Instead, Texas responded like some high school kid who got dumped and is asking friends (in Texas’ case the media) to plead his case to be reunited.

Of course, the ironic twist to the story is that Texas ended the series in the first place. Texas and Big 12 apologists like to say A&M ended the series by moving to the Southeastern Conference in 2012. They conveniently omit the rather obvious fact that Florida State plays Florida, South Carolina plays Clemson, Georgia plays Georgia Tech and Kentucky plays Louisville.

Then-A&M president Bowen Loftin was even on record saying A&M was willing to continue the series. However, then-Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds refused to schedule A&M and encouraged other Big 12 teams not to play the Aggies. These are documented facts.

Yet, Texas fans—and some media—make the ludicrous claim that A&M is “afraid” to play Texas. So A&M will play Clemson, which has won two national championships in three years, but is scared of Texas, which in the last three seasons has lost to Maryland (twice), Cal and Kansas?

Longhorns advocates also chide A&M for playing a weak schedule because SEC teams have four non-conference games. One of those often is against an FCS opponent.

Yet, those same critics refuse to look at the totality of the respective schedules. For example, A&M’s 2019 opponents were a combined 93-63 last season. By comparison, Texas’ opponents were a combined 82-71.

Still, Longhorns degrade A&M’s non-conference schedule. While refusing to acknowledge Clemson they mention A&M plays UTSA, Texas State and FCS member Lamar.

Texas likes to brag that it’s upgrading its schedule by playing the likes of LSU, Arkansas and Alabama in upcoming years. Yeah … they’re upgrading by playing teams that A&M plays every year.

What they fail to point out is that Texas plays Rice, which last season lost to UTSA. The Longhorns also play Louisiana Tech. True, Texas doesn’t play an FCS team, but the Longhorns do play Kansas, which last season lost to an FCS opponent.

Texas likes to brag that it’s upgrading its schedule by playing the likes of LSU, Arkansas and Alabama in upcoming years. Yeah … they’re upgrading by playing teams that A&M plays every year.

But the sniping could be put aside. An agreement could be reached to resume the rivalry. The timing just has to be right.

And the right time to resume the rivalry is easily ascertained.

The Permanent University Fund is a state-owned multi-billion dollar endowment which annually distributes hundreds of millions in revenue to the University of Texas and Texas A&M.

Texas receives two thirds of the annual pay out. If $900 million is distributed, Texas receives $600 million and A&M receives $300 million.

Texas officials have indicated they would do anything to resume the football series. A&M should take the position that it would agree to resume the rivalry when Texas agrees to evenly split the PUF revenue.

Until that time, A&M shouldn't play Texas.

Discussion from...

Resuming the Rivalry: If Texas wants to play A&M again, money talks

40,340 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by All_In_Ags
aggdds79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wizard of Ahhhhs
jejdag
Damn straight!
LihaiAg06
AG
I approve. Screw em until they start playing on equal ground.
greg.w.h
AG
Your numbers are pretty close to estimated actuals for roughly 2021 according to this report. It would cure the state funding shortfall by dividing the 1/3rd of roughly 300 million into 150 more for Texas A&M and 150 less for Texas.

It does not address the funding formula problem and it isn't the pathway to a sustainable vision for Texas A&M that is similar to Texas' limitation of guaranteed enrollment to roughly the top 7% of each Texas high school. That limitation significantly raises the quality of guaranteed admits while Texas uses the additional admits to address diversity.

I do not believe we should attempt an equivalence comparison with either of the sponsors of our AAU membership Texas and Rice. Each has a different "public charter" if you will. All three had difficulties due to previous admission policies so in some ways we are more alike than different from that viewpoint.

I would argue the two schools cooperating to create bigger endowments to buffer against the possibility of decreased public funding is more seemly than fighting over an existing endowment, however. But making the game about the real disagreement is brilliant.

Adding link: https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/default/files/documents/available-university-fund-report/Available%20University%20Funds%20Report%3A%20%20FY%202017/AUF%20Report%20FY%202017%20FINAL.pdf
class12of
AG
Brave to bring up the PUF....I thought Texas and A&M wanted to keep it as is, so that none of the other university systems try to get a piece of it during a restructure.
Uncle Jimbo
If the PUF is restructured, A&M will get less than we currently do, not more.

That aside, this article is homerish even by the standards of Olin Buchanan, a homer that makes Dave South blush. Yeah, their schedule is more boring than ours, but the ridiculous notion that they need this more than we do is asinine.
BigEasy
How exactly do we need t.u.?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

Yet, Texas fansand some mediamake the ludicrous claim that A&M is "afraid" to play Texas. So A&M will play Clemson, which has won two national championships in three years, but is scared of Texas, which in the last three seasons has lost to Maryland (twice), Cal and Kansas?
valvemonkey91
AG
We should already be getting 1/2 whether we play the game or not! NO to the game. It's aint about the money.
85AustinAg
AG

Quote:

the ridiculous notion that they need this more than we do is asinine.
Please explain.

Rock Too
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

That aside, this article is homerish even by the standards of Olin Buchanan, a homer that makes Dave South blush. Yeah, their schedule is more boring than ours, but the ridiculous notion that they need this more than we do is asinine.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

But now definitely is not the time.
Rock Too
AG
Rock1983 said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

Well, we don't need it at all. In fact, we need other oos relevant P5s on our schedule to continue to expand the brand. Texas brings absolutely nothing to the table for us in expanding brand, accessing recruits, or improving the schedule. Much better options for us to fill those needs.
Bucketrunner
Nailed it, Olin!!
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

Really? How's that?

There's a reason they keep publicly begging for it and we don't.
schmellba99
AG
If we go back to playing them after all of this, we deserve the perpetual mediocrity we have been living.

For the first time in school history we are not expending 99% of our energy focused on tu - instead we are focusing on Texas A&M. We need to continue the current focus and trend, they made this bed and they need to live with the consequences. Screw 'em.
Bonfire97
AG
I just can't believe A&M has attained a level of separation/distinction from t.u. and this topic is even being brought up. t.u. and their longhorn network and their years of looking down their noses at Aggies. May they all go to he!! and we will go to the SEC! Ha!
fullback44
AG

Yes sir... straight to the point.

You want to play the Aggies again.. well then Pony up the state funds or you can stay playing your worthless schedule in the Dumpster 12 conference!
vansprinkle
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

Shut up, Sip.

There's no question that you horns need the game more than we do. We have multiple premiere matchups every year. You have Oklahoma.

Olin- You should get this out to the Chronicle or another larger publication. More people need to know the facts.
AggieCRNA
AG
Bravo, Olin! I have to admit that I've been on the fence about this for a really long time. I grew up watching this game (initially not even having a dog in the fight, as there were neither Aggies nor 'sips in my family then A&M admitted women and I realized I could get the degree I wanted at the university I really wanted to attend), and I miss it. On the other hand, I've never in my life been so glad to be shed of something as I was tu and the rest of the Big 12. I don't care about the PUF. As others have noted, if that's restructured, A&M will lose money. But as far as resuming the game, you just nailed it for me. Thanks for the clarity.
AggieCRNA78
HDeathstar
"If the PUF is restructured, A&M will get less than we currently do, not more."

Don't need to restructure it, Texas can pay us the difference directly. Separate contract - Problem Solved.
Coward Jimbo
AG
@ every current student who wants to play this game again, read the damn article then explain to me why we should renew the series.
Lateralus Ag
AG
There are so many things that need our attention more than sip.
safety guy
AG
This will be like Pete rose and the hall of fame. The day deloss dodds passes we will agree to play.
safety guy
AG
By the way, great article Olin. Too bad the state's lackey media doesn't understand.
Cannonball Craig III
AG
Based on Olin's stipulation, it effectively means that we will never play the sips again during the regular season. Which is as it should be. Nice article.
StickTogetherAgs
Please never play them again.
amercer
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

@ every current student who wants to play this game again, read the damn article then explain to me why we should renew the series.

Maybe because college sports are supposed to be about college kids having fun.

Now return to your yelling at the clouds.
Spotted Ag
AG
Savior Jimbo said:

Because...their feelings are hurt.

Good luck with them understanding the rational logic laid out in the article. That requires forethought and delayed gratification, something that most college kids cannot comprehend.
P.C. Principal
4 said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

Really? How's that?

There's a reason they keep publicly begging for it and we don't.
We do ourselves a disservice by pretending like tu is some meh football program like Rutgers. The reality is, it's not, and we all know that. They have a very valuable athletic program and lots of money. The Big 12 has been a joke since the departure of 4 schools but tu is doing what they can to keep a strong schedule.

They have upcoming series with LSU, Bama, and Michigan. We all know those games will gets lots of national attention. And if Tom Herman left tomorrow they would not have a hard time finding a good replacement.

Why do we sit around and act like they are some do-nothing program? They've sucked in recent years but I think we all know they'll be back sooner or later. But our market value has gone way up since joining the SEC too. In that sense, A&M/Texas would certainly be a sexy matchup were it to come back.

I'm not gung ho bringing the series back but I'm not so staunchly opposed to it like so many here, and I definitely don't subscribe to the notion that they are begging for it and we don't need 'em. To me that sounds like an ex going around proclaiming that they're "sooooo over me" to everyone.
Matt Mcdowell
Middle age losers like this guy are just salty because they have nothing better to do. Any idiot who doesn't see the value in resuming the rivalry is delusional. And as far as the puf, what happens when uh and all the other big public schools want a piece of the pie, it's a separate issue entirely.
WC94
AG
Shots fired!!!
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

We do ourselves a disservice by pretending like tu is some meh football program like Rutgers. The reality is, it's not, and we all know that. They have a very valuable athletic program and lots of money.
Of course they do. They're quite substantial on their own. You forgot to mention they just reeled in a "top 3 recruiting class". (/stifling laughter). They DO have tons of money/resources and a national name brand. So why, why, why do they keep begging to play us every year and then run complaining to the media when we don't?
Hint.......it's not because it's in A&M's best interest. Nor will ANYTHING involving those assclowns ever be about anything but themselves.......
It's because we dared to strike out from them and in the process achieved equality at worst and realistically even passed them up. We're in a far better conference, even THEY have to acknowledge that. We're more profitable. We get more exposure nationally. And that drives them BSC. Bottom line. We're not under their boot anymore and it drives them insane. Thus the drive to do anything possible to "restore order" in their eyes. Screw them. We are better off than ever a short 7 years after bolting that craphole. Why even THINK about looking back?
StickTogetherAgs
dixichkn said:

Quote:

We do ourselves a disservice by pretending like tu is some meh football program like Rutgers. The reality is, it's not, and we all know that. They have a very valuable athletic program and lots of money.
Of course they do. They're quite substantial on their own. You forgot to mention they just reeled in a "top 3 recruiting class". (/stifling laughter). They DO have tons of money/resources and a national name brand. So why, why, why do they keep begging to play us every year and then run complaining to the media when we don't?
Hint.......it's not because it's in A&M's best interest. Nor will ANYTHING involving those assclowns ever be about anything but themselves.......
It's because we dared to strike out from them and in the process achieved equality at worst and realistically even passed them up. We're in a far better conference, even THEY have to acknowledge that. We're more profitable. We get more exposure nationally. And that drives them BSC. Bottom line. We're not under their boot anymore and it drives them insane. Thus the drive to do anything possible to "restore order" in their eyes. Screw them. We are better off than ever a short 7 years after bolting that craphole. Why even THINK about looking back?

100% truth right here, Ags.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.