Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I voted.

6,937 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sq 17
alamogeorge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I voted today. I voted NO. As a graduate student, I am old enough to remember why we stopped playing them. I also remember when they said that they didn't want to play us anymore. Do I want us to play again? Yes, but I want it to happen organically. I want it to mean something. I don't want to be forced into it. There is no upside to us playing them annually. We play great teams right now and we are creating great rivalries. I'm okay with what comes out of this but I'm a little disappointed that we even brought it up for a vote. Proof that political memories are short.

greg.w.h
AG
You summed up how I feel, too. Get used to our new conference mates. Rivalries will emerge.
HossAg
AG
Same.
Grits
#Mke
AG
I will be shocked if the "NO" vote gets more than 20%
TheDraw
AG
My undergrad years were the Fran years. It would be nice to smack t.u. around for a while. I was there for the 12-7 game.
NSTN8
I know y'all dont see it like people like me, but I just love good old fashioned sports hatred. I grew up hating them and had alot of fun making memories hating them. I think its funny the position we have them in, but I miss the feeling of beating them (when it happened). It was like the buzz of a fine wine. It's just a very very nostalgic thing for people like me.
redd38
AG
I voted no
Bill Superman
AG
NSTN8 said:

I know y'all dont see it like people like me, but I just love good old fashioned sports hatred. I grew up hating them and had alot of fun making memories hating them. I think its funny the position we have them in, but I miss the feeling of beating them (when it happened). It was like the buzz of a fine wine. It's just a very very nostalgic thing for people like me.

We all do. The only problem is there is more than meets the eye here.

At this juncture they need us now more than ever - and the glory of it all is that we don't need them in the slightest

It can easily been determined the positive impact stepping out of their controlling shadow has done for our university

We have other things we need to achieve before we ever entertain them again
fightinag
f no
Only they benefit from that matchup.......let them continue to battle the powerhouse's of baylor and kansas
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Quad Dog
AG
alamogeorge said:

I voted today. I voted NO. As a graduate student, I am old enough to remember why we stopped playing them. I also remember when they said that they didn't want to play us anymore. Do I want us to play again? Yes, but I want it to happen organically. I want it to mean something. I don't want to be forced into it. There is no upside to us playing them annually. We play great teams right now and we are creating great rivalries. I'm okay with what comes out of this but I'm a little disappointed that we even brought it up for a vote. Proof that political memories are short.

The last football game against them was 7 years ago. The current seniors were ~14 when we last played.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

It's just a very very nostalgic thing for people like me.
My parents had a '67 four door Malibu when we were little. It was a hunk of crap. But I fondly remember all the rides in it......

Just because it has some nostalgic value doesn't mean it was a good thing. Listen to the voices of experience sometime......it'll serve you well.......
alamogeorge
AG
Quad Dog said:

alamogeorge said:

The last football game against them was 7 years ago. The current seniors were ~14 when we last played.
But John Sharp and the current administration that is entertaining this idea were in their 60's.
NSTN8
LatinAggie1997
AG
Yes voters would go to the airport and pick up the neighbor that was sleeping with their girlfriend, because he used to live next door and memories and stuff.
zooguy96
It doesn't benefit us. They got the LHN because it benefitted them and screwed us. We joined the SEC cause it benefitted us.

Eff them. There's absolutely no reason to play the effers. Only way I'd even think about it is if all games were at Kyle.
NSTN8
astroboy
AG
A&M now plays Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU in conference. Look at that. From Iowa State, Kansas State, and freaking whoever to that new conference slate. We now have a rivalry game every ****ing week. Why in the blue hell do we help them now??????
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Thank you OP for doing the right thing. Although I have some very fond memories of playing them when I was in school 82-87 because we kicked their arse, I also remember hoodie ref, texas is back and all that kind of biased reporting and I know LHN never would have done anything for us....two words

FXCK THEM!

Never again....unless it's in a bowl game which is bound to happen eventually because that's what all the biased press wants.
West Point Aggie
AG
This will be like Iraqi elections during saddams days...98-99% yes...after all we have to beat the sippies who voted 97% yes...the fix is in...
Class of 65
AG
TheDraw said:

My undergrad years were the Fran years. It would be nice to smack t.u. around for a while. I was there for the 12-7 game.
We will get smacked for another 50 years if we play them
texag0928
Hey EAD65...EAD!!!
Leander - Ag
AG
alamogeorge said:

This
rootube
AG
alamogeorge said:

You participated in a meaningless student vote that carries no weight and is completely non-binding. Trust me, students are not forcing anything.
rootube
AG
astroboy said:

A&M now plays Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU in conference. Look at that. From Iowa State, Kansas State, and freaking whoever to that new conference slate. We now have a rivalry game every ****ing week. Why in the blue hell do we help them now??????
And yet there are no hot Auburn and Alabama, LSU and Arkansas rivalry threads. It's almost like they are great games but not a real rivalry. Who knows maybe there are threads and they just get pushed down by the mountain of horn rivalry threads.
alamogeorge
AG
Or hate isn't the same as rivalry.
greg.w.h
AG
rootube said:

astroboy said:

And yet there are no hot Auburn and Alabama, LSU and Arkansas rivalry threads. It's almost like they are great games but not a real rivalry. Who knows maybe there are threads and they just get pushed down by the mountain of horn rivalry threads.

They're better games than the vast majority of the A&M v Austin games over the majority of the rivalry. You'd rather watch a bad game because of an intense rivalry than a good one?
twk
AG
NSTN8 said:

You want to focus on beating t.u. Those of us who've been around a while, would like to focus on winning a championship. Focusing on t.u. doesn't help us get there.
rootube
AG
greg.w.h said:

rootube said:

astroboy said:

They're better games than the vast majority of the A&M v Austin games over the majority of the rivalry. You'd rather watch a bad game because of an intense rivalry than a good one?
I agree they are better games. I am so happy we are in the SEC. I'm not even sure I would want to bring back the rivalry but no other team makes our blood boil like the horns. That may change, but I personally doubt it happens in my lifetime. I have two rooting interests in college football. First is an Aggie win, but a close second is a horn loss. I'm pretty sure I am stuck with my belief system for the rest of my life. I have also taught my children the same values so they are suck too. So maybe my grandchildren??? But if I'm being honest with myself, if my grandchildren are are not rooting against the horns I will feel like I have failed as a parent.
rootube
AG
alamogeorge said:

Or hate isn't the same as rivalry.
Hate is exactly the same as rivalry.
alamogeorge
AG
No, it isn't. You might always hate your rivals but that doesn't make everyone you hate a rival.
Aftermath
AG
Yes will prevail . Doesn't matter what students think, it's all about the cash and tv.... also the big donor want it back, prior to the SEC, it was the ONLY game that mattered. It will be back and bonfire will burn forever!
NSTN8
twk said:

NSTN8 said:

You want to focus on beating t.u. Those of us who've been around a while, would like to focus on winning a championship. Focusing on t.u. doesn't help us get there.

I've been around a little while. I never said a thing about focusing on anyone. It's all in good fun, and playing them or not, my life will go on.
rootube
AG
alamogeorge said:

No, it isn't. You might always hate your rivals but that doesn't make everyone you hate a rival.
OK. I'm willing to hear you out. What other team do you hate besides the horns? I'm not talking about kinda rooting for them to lose here. I'm talking about their program suffering brings you joy (I'm not talking about kids getting injured obviously I am not an animal). For me and the clear majority of people on here it's the horns and and basically nobody else. That is called a rival. I think if you looked at all the great rivals it's the same.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
You want it to happen "organically"? What the hell does that mean?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.