Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dear Chipper (playing tu again)

15,916 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Spotted Ag
Spotted Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are naive. You have no idea what it's like to deal with the tsips. Listen to your elders that have experience with those **** heads.

tuck fexas!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Never, ever, never play tu again, never, ever!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Wabs
AG
In before the sip referee pic
JH20
Why if no one wants this game have the recent Texas vs Texas A&M baseball games broke stadium attendance records and sold out within seconds? People want to see this game, they just don't want to admit it, because they feel that is giving in to the Longhorns. The students want it, because we feel a break from Aggie tradition. We here Old Ags talk about their time at A&M and the traditions they had, like an on-campus massive bonfire and playing a bitter in-state rival yearly, we just want to experience some of those traditions like Old Army got to.
Class of '20
Spotted Ag
AG
JH20 said:

we just want to experience some of those traditions like Old Army got to.

Well hell, maybe we should just start traveling back to Lubbock, Waco, and Ames every other year so y'all can "experience some of those traditions like Old Army got to". Maybe we can even bring back Fran!! While we're at it, lets make it an all male school again. Sounds swell.
JH20
Traveling to Aimes Iowa and Coach Fran is not Old Army.
twk
AG
JH20 said:

Why if no one wants this game have the recent Texas vs Texas A&M baseball games broke stadium attendance records and sold out within seconds? People want to see this game, they just don't want to admit it, because they feel that is giving in to the Longhorns. The students want it, because we feel a break from Aggie tradition. We here Old Ags talk about their time at A&M and the traditions they had, like an on-campus massive bonfire and playing a bitter in-state rival yearly, we just want to experience some of those traditions like Old Army got to.
Class of '20
Bonfire isn't coming back to campus. The SEC isn't going to shuffle the schedule around so that we can play the sips on Thanksgiving (it's not even possible unless Missouri and Kansas resume their series).

You're making an emotional argument. Times change, and sometimes for the better. The SWC sucked. Good riddance to it.
JH20
The SEC would work with A&M to play Texas on Thanksgiving just like they work with Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina to play non-conference rivals. Maybe I am making an emotional argument, but what tradition isn't emotional. There was a small push to get rid of the Sully statue, we don't need a statue in the center of campus to function as a University, so why was there such an uproar? It would actually make a lot a sense also to tear down the old and crumbling Academic Building and put something else in its place that could hold more classroom space and utilize better technology, so why don't we do that?
twk
AG
JH20 said:

The SEC would work with A&M to play Texas on Thanksgiving just like they work with Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina to play non-conference rivals.
It's a matter of logistics.

Here's the schedule the final weekend:

UGA-GT
UF-FSU
USC-Clemson
UK-Louisville
UT-Vandy
Bama-Auburn
State-Ole Miss
Arky-Mizzou
A&M-LSU

If we play the sips, who does LSU play? Everyone else has a commitment that weekend. To say that the SEC could simply rearrange the schedule without actually knowing what the options are is just so typical of student thinking on this subject. If we play the sips, it wont' be on Thanksgiving, it will be in September. And it won't be in addition to another P5 game, it will be the only P5 non-conference opponent we play. It also won't happen for 10 years, so, hopefully, a lot of the kids who are tossing this around as an easy thing to do will have a little bit better perspective on the matter.
Bottlehead90
AG
Belmont wants the game now because they can't sell season tickets.

Offer up a neutral site game and see if they are still interested. They won't be.

If you play with a snake and you get bit don't get mad at the snake. It is just being a snake
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

That shipped has sailed.

Bonfire - gone

tu game - good riddance

Corps trips - a casualty of moving to the SEC.

Outfit game signs - killed by the PC trigon
Skull Session
Let's see, last time I looked we were one of the two top programs in the whole nation in gross athletic department revenue. And as I look again I see that we are The most profitable athletic department in the nation by a longshot. No 2 is so far behind it doesn't look like they are even trying. Then I do a double take and see that we are the bellcow of the SEC network bringing in $43.1 million a year in TV-Media rights revenue to our program, by exposing the state of Texas to SEC sports. This tells me that what we have been doing the past 6-7 years has been bery bery good for us. It seems to me that we must be suffering from too much gotdamn prosperity. There are two groups that can't stand prosperity, One is democrats and the other are aggies.

So Let's just wade in there and get this sheet turned around now. Get that same gaggle of lawyers together that gave billy kennedy 2.5 million a year and an extended contract and head on over to Austin. Maybe if we are lucky we can get a 1/3 / 2/3rds revenue split on the game. 1/3 for us, 2/3rds for them. Just like old times. Oh and they can bring the referees whereever we play them. And let them put the game on LHN in perpetuity to pull that dead cow out of the tank.

Sure why not, our association with them in the past 100 years was so damn good that we had only been trying to leave them since 1991. Finally when we do get away from them, within a matter of months the whole place starts popping like a cork in a champagne bottle.

But let's ignore all that success and go back to the tu trailer park and get back in bed with that old sow. Just for old times sake. Some of you haven't got brain one enough to realize how much better off we are now, than we ever were while associated with those SOB's. Just leave it at that, and stay with the program we have going now. Nothing good ever came out of our association with those nutless bovines in Austin. And really they don't fit in with what we are doing now. Let them make their own way, eventually they will quit crying about wanting to play us.
cavscout96
AG
Spotted Ag said:

JH20 said:

Well hell, maybe we should just start traveling back to Lubbock, Waco, and Ames every other year so y'all can "experience some of those traditions like Old Army got to". Maybe we can even bring back Fran!! While we're at it, lets make it an all male school again. Sounds swell.
traveling to Ames was never a tradition......

Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, Austin.... sure

Ames... Lubbock... No
Leander - Ag
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Never, ever, never play tu again, never, ever!
West Point Aggie
AG
Posts (yet) to be read:

They need us more than we need them
They ended it
Why help them with their s**** schedule?
The fabric of the state is at stake
I want my thanksgiving trash talk opportunity back
We compete against them in everything
WRTS (is this still a thing or too "summy"?)
They control the media
We are booked until 2028
LSU is our new rival
We have no rivals
Why throw them a lifeline?
Other schools play their OOC state rival
It will be the biggest game in the history of games...

I'm sure I missed many
Let’s Go Brandon!
offenseguru
AG
It's all we had from our time to talk about. Trust me I was a student in the early 90's. As cool as it was to win a bunch of games and see the wrecking crew etc... We never won a meaningful bowl game. We beat Texas all the time and they still found ways to cheat.

I would be much happier as a student in this league with these marquee games and venues every week, with these facilities, and yet you can still have traditions. Go build bonfire if you want.

But playing tu does not benefit Texas A&M in football. We have a great grind already. Football is different than the other sports.
Caesar4
AG
twk said:

JH20 said:

The SEC would work with A&M to play Texas on Thanksgiving just like they work with Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina to play non-conference rivals.
It's a matter of logistics.

Here's the schedule the final weekend:

UGA-GT
UF-FSU
USC-Clemson
UK-Louisville
UT-Vandy
Bama-Auburn
State-Ole Miss
Arky-Mizzou
A&M-LSU

If we play the sips, who does LSU play? Everyone else has a commitment that weekend. To say that the SEC could simply rearrange the schedule without actually knowing what the options are is just so typical of student thinking on this subject. If we play the sips, it wont' be on Thanksgiving, it will be in September. And it won't be in addition to another P5 game, it will be the only P5 non-conference opponent we play. It also won't happen for 10 years, so, hopefully, a lot of the kids who are tossing this around as an easy thing to do will have a little bit better perspective on the matter.
The bold sentence, by far, is my major concern/obstacle.
Wabs
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Offer up a neutral site game and see if they are still interested. They won't be.

This. Their home schedule is dog *****
dixichkn
AG
I am absolutely amazed at the lack of patience in allowing the LSU and Bama and Arkansas series to turn into legit, hot rivalries. We have the coach now that can beat all those teams. Absolutely ruin Bama's chance at a title a couple times and you think things won't get heated with them? Let it build instead of running back to mommy. Screw tu and the lawyers they rode in on. They got the bed they made for themselves. Let em lay in it
ABATTBQ87
AG
Wabs said:

Bottlehead90 said:

This. Their home schedule is dog *****
IF we had played tu in 2018 it would have probably been September 1st; we would have dropped Northwestern State (W) and they would have dropped.......................................Maryland (L)
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Why if no one wants this game have the recent Texas vs Texas A&M baseball games broke stadium attendance records and sold out within seconds?
And that is fine. Baseball programs don't make schools any money. Nor do any of the other sports bar mens bball. You start giving them the chance to sell of DKR again it makes a huge factor in their athletic program funding.
Just Tired
twk said:

You're making an emotional argument. Times change, and sometimes for the better. The SWC sucked. Good riddance to it.

the big12 sucked. do not besmirch the swc. it was greatness in its day.
greg.w.h
AG
dixichkn said:

I am absolutely amazed at the lack of patience in allowing the LSU and Bama and Arkansas series to turn into legit, hot rivalries. We have the coach now that can beat all those teams. Absolutely ruin Bama's chance at a title a couple times and you think things won't get heated with them? Let it build instead of running back to mommy. Screw tu and the lawyers they rode in on. They got the bed they made for themselves. Let em lay in it

I'm not amazed. We want to imagine ourselves as a one-trick pony. We will develop great rivalries that might always be more interesting than the Georgia/Georgia Tech game.
Cannonball Craig III
AG
"Nothing good ever came out of our association with those nutless bovines in Austin."

Absolute quote of the century. Maybe the last 125 years,
StickTogetherAgs
Everyone w/ true knowledge of our historical relationship w/ the longhorns knows that what's ultimately best for Texas A&M University is to never play them again.
TXAGBQ76
AG
key phase in your missive is the word "baseball"; enjoy your the tradition of playing them in baseball, enjoy the once in a while playing them in a basketball tournament game. as for football, not so much- unless it is in a bowl game.

as for "old Army traditions", you have a great opportunity to start your own with the SEC.
68RebelE
AG
Leave it to the current students. We had our games against tu & I treasure the one game we beat tu in Kyle Field my senior year. Let them decide. It might not be possible right now but it should be their decision to kill it or not.
rbcs_2
AG
68RebelE said:

Leave it to the current students. We had our games against tu & I treasure the one game we beat tu in Kyle Field my senior year. Let them decide. It might not be possible right now but it should be their decision to kill it or not.
So every year students should vote if the game against tu should be played or not?
AggieBill005
AG
rbcs_2 said:

68RebelE said:

So every year students should vote if the game against tu should be played or not?

What is best for the current student body is not necessarily what is best for the long term athletic health of A&M. Even the Class of 20 kid's response above is clearly emotion driven. That isn't a bad thing at all, but emotion should be removed from the equation as much as possible for a decision like this.

Even if there is interest in playing the game again, how does renewing this game benefit A&M? Attendance? - We have no problem there. Money? - Don't hurt for that either. National exposure? - We get that regularly in the SEC. Recruiting? - Jimbo's 2019 class says hi.

So all that is left is emotion and bragging rights... that is not enough for me. Would you rather have Texas or Notre Dame? or Clemson? or maybe Michigan, Ohio State? We will have ONE solid P5 non-conference opponent each year. I for one would much rather see A&M mix it up with the nations top programs instead of having the same match up every year.
AG
JH20 said:

Traveling to Aimes Iowa and Coach Fran is not Old Army.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
twk said:

JH20 said:

Class of '20
Bonfire isn't coming back to campus. The SEC isn't going to shuffle the schedule around so that we can play the sips on Thanksgiving (it's not even possible unless Missouri and Kansas resume their series).

No way! A football fan (short for fanatic) favors doing something that will be more fun than boring?

If you want to make a logical argument, we should scrap the football team before the impending CTE and salary lawsuits come and invest everything in natural gas.

But we don't, because emotion trumps logic when it comes to playing a game.

Y'all act and have literally made comparisons that playing Texas is the equivalent to playing Nazi Germany. Not in any sort of analogy that made sense, but the histrionics that are involved over playing a stupid football game have devolved to the arguments of 3 year olds with some on here.
AggieBill005
AG
"But we don't, because emotion trumps logic when it comes to playing a game. "

Thus a good reason why none of us are running things...
W
AG
JH20 said:

Class of '20
also...the annual baseball game is 1 of 56 games on the schedule.

the loser doesn't really lose anything with regard to winning a championship and so forth. Heck. last year A&M won the game, but t.u. was still selected as the regional host.

Apples and oranges to football
RhodeAg
AG
We should be playing Texas every year in all the major sports. They are our main rival. We are the two flagship schools of a major state.

Bring the game back...so we can have a rivalry. Right now we don't. We play a schedule. i don't 'hate' any of the teams on it. That's not right.

There should be one game a season that brings a football fan's passion to the brink of insanity...and that was Texas vs. Texas A&M.

We have nothing like that now. Just an antiseptic schedule. We play teams that I don't dislike. I like Bama...except when they play against us. LSU?...maybe in 20 years or so, we may have a rivalry. Right now, Alabama is LSU's primary target...and rival.
Don't take life too seriously...no one gets out alive.
Win At Life
AG
Where we put up with tu for over a century, Nebraska smelled tu's shiat before the Big XII formed and tu was the major reason they got out BEFORE us.

[url=https://mgoblog.com/diaries/why-nebraska-left-big-xii][/url]https://mgoblog.com/diaries/why-nebraska-left-big-xii

Quote:

Quote:
Osborne knew, way back in '93, that merging the Big 8 with the four Texas schools from the Southwest Conference would result in a rocky, abusive marriage and inevitable divorce. We were warned. He knew.

Enter, Big 12 Commissioner and Village Idiot, Dan Beebe. Dan has (had) a simple job. Keep the Big 12 thriving and each member happy. To Bebee, this job description transcribed to keep the Big 12 stagnant and Texas happy and was content in becoming Texas Athletic Director Deloss Dodds' conference mouthpiece/string puppet. Just keep Texas happy. Nebraska ahead 12-10 with 0:00 on the clock in the Big 12 Championship? Not a problem.

He also fell behind in the times when it came to forward-thinking ventures like a conference television network, but it was acceptable for Texas to explore their own "Longhorn Television Network." And Texas, who has turned out to be the powerful, yet pea-brained oaf in all of this, resorted once again to arrogance and dismissed the 11 other members of the Big 12 as mere minions.

Make no mistake, Nebraska football is a national brand. The elite of the elite. In the same fraternity as Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. 3rd all-time in wins. Where the rest of the Big 12 were content to be pimped out by Texas and roll over like starving hookers, Nebraska had far more self respect. A conventional, yet notable moment where this was ever-prevalent, was the 11-1 conference vote to keep the Big 12 Championship game in Texas for the foreseeable future. Osborne, not to be pushed around or degraded, was the lone opposing vote. No one else in the Big 12 North bothered to sign up.

Pledge your loyalty to the Big 12 within one week - or else. Or else what? You'll kick them out, leading to the demise of the Big 12 anyway? And where is Texas' ultimatum?

Thank you, Texas.
Thank you, Beebe. As much as it pains to leave the beloved traditions and bitter rivalries of Colorado and Oklahoma, you've left us no choice but to go - to a much better place.
We are in a much better place too.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.