Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Maybe stick around a little longer?

6,759 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Furious
Colombo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pro-football-returns-to-san-diego-heres-what-its-like-at-an-aaf-fleet-game/ar-BBTKmsc?li=BBnbfcL

Standing next to his locker after the game, Fleet defensive end Damontre Moore politely spoke with a small group of reporters for several minutes as he dressed. Then he made a special request to a reporter for USA TODAY Sports. He said he hoped the reporter would keep covering the league and to "give us some love."

Like other players in this league, Moore once played in front of big crowds in college (Texas A&M) and in the NFL. Getting attention from fans and media there easily could be taken for granted.

Not here. Players make a non-guaranteed minimum of $250,000 over three years, and many are living with roommates at a local Residence Inn. Moore opted to live with roommates at a local apartment.

There are no "cold tubs" or "hot tubs," Moore said, referring to the amenities of the NFL. But he's not complaining. He recorded a partial sack after recording five solo tackles in his first game. Now 26, he's grateful to have a platform like this league to earn his way back to where he was. Last year, he was working 11-hour shifts at a Home Depot in Texas before being signed by the Oakland Raiders. The team released him late last year.
Azariah
AG
or provide better pre-draft assessments to help players make good decisions?

Ooh, I know! Let's allow top players who aren't quite ready for the NFL to make some money. If the NCAA won't do it, then there should be another league. What to call it, though? I mean, it's about American Football, so that should be in there. That can't just be it though. Hmm, we're all allies in this, maybe incorporate that?

I got it! American Alliance of Football!

Wait, that's close but needs work. Someone else can take it from here.
FriscoKid
AG
I didn't make the NFL either.
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Only Texags could insinuate that a guy who is simply trying to pump up a new league that he is a part of is actually instead complaining that he doesn't individually get enough attention. And the reason he does is because he left earlier than the Texags thought he should.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Good luck to him and the other Ags in the league. I have been impressed with the league so far.
I have too. It's a fun watch.
ClassOf17
I'm just curious as to why someone who's played a few years in the NFL needs to work 11 hour shifts at Home Depot...
Geriatric Punk
AG
ClassOf17 said:

I'm just curious as to why someone who's played a few years in the NFL needs to work 11 hour shifts at Home Depot...
I've got a 30 for 30 you should watch.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Roger Goodell
ClassOf17 said:

Food. Family. Money.

Once you throw out some kids and have a wife, you will understand.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Maybe he made bad choices. Maybe he got unlucky. Either way, he is handling business now. I respect his willingness to work 11-hour shifts.
fightinag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Maybe he made bad choices. Maybe he got unlucky. Either way, he is handling business now. I respect his willingness to work 11-hour shifts.
Not one of the ENTITLED.......good for him and best of luck making a name in the new league and hoping he gets another look....maybe the Texan's ?
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
greg.w.h
AG
DEMONSTRE!!!!!

Good for him for making the Fleet and being part of the game day broadcast. Couldn't be more delighted for him!!

I like the AAF. It's not the NFL. But it's interesting and the coaching so far is remarkably good.
Liquid Wrench
ClassOf17 said:

Not all NFL players make what super bowl winning quarterbacks make?

Take out taxes, agents' fees, moving costs, then add in some family needs?

Pundits always act like every single guy on an 85 man list is bound to make a fortune in the NFL if only the NCAA would get out of their way, but that's just not reality.
Meximan
Azariah said:

Ooh, I know! Let's allow top players who aren't quite ready for the NFL to make some money. If the NCAA won't do it, then there should be another league. What to call it, though? I mean, it's about American Football, so that should be in there. That can't just be it though. Hmm, we're all allies in this, maybe incorporate that?

C'mon man. Don't be a dick.
BigOil
AG
Or maybe he's simply the average NFL player who only plays a few years. Extremely doubtful an extra year of college changes that.
BenFiasco14
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Only Texags could insinuate that a guy who is simply trying to pump up a new league that he is a part of is actually instead complaining that he doesn't individually get enough attention. And the reason he does is because he left earlier than the Texags thought he should.
Also making $250k MINIMUM... course, that's chump change to TexAgs millionaires.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
rootube
AG
BigOil said:

Or maybe he's simply the average NFL player who only plays a few years. Extremely doubtful an extra year of college changes that.
Yes. The thing people forget is the year Demontre left he posted numbers that were statistically similar to Clowney (Better in many cases) and he was the number 1 overall pick. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and say he should have stayed but on paper at least it seemed to make sense.
Cancelled
AG
My first job out of college was Circuit City. A job is a job. There are no entitlements in life. Working at HD is not beneath anyone, I do not care how many sacks you had in college.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Azariah said:

I remember back in the 80s some dude tried to do this very same thing and the NFL shut him down pretty quick.

I think he was a real estate developer from New York or something. Drafted Hershel Walker as I recall but league got shut down pretty quick after the courts got involved over tv contracts. Could have had a mature league by now with enough tv channels for errebody. An innovative idea at the time.

Anyway, I wonder whatever happened to that dude? He still around or did he just give up and move on to bigger and better things?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
queso1 said:

My first job out of college was Circuit City. A job is a job. There are no entitlements in life. Working at HD is not beneath anyone, I do not care how many sacks you had in college.

You still there?
jja79
AG
I assume you aren't talking about the AAF. Everyone has the same non-guaranteed 3 year contract for $250K total. Not $250K per year.
jja79
AG
On the subject of the AAF they had to find an investor after week 1.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/19/aaf-bailout-250-million-dollars-honeymoon-tv-ratings-cbs-turner/amp/
Lateralus Ag
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Also making $250k MINIMUM... course, that's chump change to TexAgs millionaires.

I would bet that a good 10% or more on here make more than $83,333 a year.
Lateralus Ag
AG
And I bet most on here make that or slightly less.
Lateralus Ag
AG
queso1 said:

I agree. McCoys paid the bills for years when the kids were little.

Then again, I didn't have any sacks in college.
dcAg
He was not a good locker room guy and his ego was too big. Paraphrasing an interview he did after being signed by the Cowboys. Then he screwed that up during the anthem BS.
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Then again, I didn't have any sacks in college.
You should have joined a frat.
Cancelled
AG
Champ Bailey said:

queso1 said:

You still there?

Lol no. I started a law firm.
Furious
AG
queso1 said:

I worked at Circuit City while at A&M. Pretty good job actually.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.