Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

PAC12 Network

7,404 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BMX Bandit
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McInnis80 said:

I don't know what happened to make Direct TV mad, but this is not good. I suspect Larry Scott may have burned some bridges. I don't if one of the league's AD's have the clout to have a sit down with Direct TV and I would be surprised if any member of the "Pac 12 CEO group" has the desire or connections to get anywhere with Direct TV. The league presidents should ask the USC President to see if he has entertainment industry connections to get a deal. If that means getting rid of Larry Scott so be it.
It's not a matter of making DirecTV mad, it's a matter of not having any leverage because they are a stand alone entity. When the Big Ten Network was negotiating carriage agreements, it was done under the Fox umbrella--if the carrier wanted Fox stations, they had to take BTN. When the SEC Network was negotiating carriage agreements, if was done under the Disney umbrella--if the carrier wanted the ESPN channels, they had to take SECN.

The only way out of this mess for the Pac-12 would be to sell a stake in their network (probably without recovering all their start up costs) to someone with some leverage.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Somebody mentioned the BDF raiding the PAC. It is extremely unlikely:

1. The sips will maintain the status quo, b/c they have most of the power in the BDF.
2. Other than Utah or AZ St, the cultures/priorities of the PACs are too different from the BDF.

Conclusory, but these points been beaten to death already.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The Pac-12 just doesn't have the rabid fan base that the SEC and B1G have.

Maybe not for football, and maybe not all schools, but I know Pac 12 folks. I don't agree with this statement at all.
BMX Bandit
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

The Pac-12 just doesn't have the rabid fan base that the SEC and B1G have.

Maybe not for football, and maybe not all schools, but I know Pac 12 folks. I don't agree with this statement at all.
you've essentially made his point.

sure, there are some rabid fans. But not a base of rabid fans necessary to really drive a network and attendance.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.