Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

247 Composite and Rivals being catfished

18,015 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charlie 31
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vander54 said:

To me this is more on Rivals than 247. From my understanding 247 just had a composite ranking. So all they did was not validate rivals info. Either way it shows that the recruiting services are a joke and need an overhaul.

Agree with all of this. If Rivals posts a recruit and a ranking, 247 is going to put it up there showing this guy has a Rivals ranking/profile. That's the point of their site on the composite stuff. Had 247 uniquely ranked him they'd be in the same boat, but doesn't appear they did.

Rivals are the idiots here. And agree it shows just how ridiculous recruiting services are/can be.
AggieBill005
AG
vander54 said:

To me this is more on Rivals than 247. From my understanding 247 just had a composite ranking. So all they did was not validate rivals info. Either way it shows that the recruiting services are a joke and need an overhaul.

Hidden problem here that is a much bigger deal, IMO --- they didn't validate rivals info. INDEED, the rankings of these services (and TexaAgs too, to an extent, I'm sure) are not independent of one another. Its nested data with longitudinal variants, between rating service, and within rating service variability.

I would hypothesize that if one big service bumps a recruit, this draws attention, and other services are likely to take another look and adjust rankings too - thus inflating the effects of the first bump. Thus rankings are not really independent of one another, but we talk about them and think about the this way.

I dont have the data to do this, but this could definitely be modeled, with variables such as rating service, date of ranking, date(s) of ranking changes, # of total offers, # of power 5 offers, and school commitments. From this, we could statistically test whether one service drives the others and whether there is an "effect" for school offers.

Good Lord I wish I had the time! This would make a great semester project for an advanced biostats student. The data is all online, years worth. Journalists can deny all they want, but the data is there to be tested.

GumboMaverick
These ranking sites don't need an overhaul. They need perspective.. meaning, just because they rank recruiting classes doesn't always mean they have their stuff together. They are for entertainment value (read clicks) only. Just because some crap school has a higher (slightly) rank than A&M in some random rankings doesn't mean squat.

I trust that Jimbo has his own rankings and what he goes by and that has been successful for him in the past and even in the last year. So we are in a good spot. Leave all the prognosticating to the Rivals and 247 -- but take what they say with a grain of salt. In the end, coaches and hard nose football wins. Winning recruiting only gets you so far... hell, you may lose a game vs a lower tier big10 school even though you just got a high recruiting class.
Flashdiaz
AG
part of me doesn't want to get this exposed. the longhorns put lots of effort in getting a high ranking class vs getting players they actually need, which is why they are known for doing less with more.
infinity ag
Stinky T said:

If they would have included a sip offer he could have been a 5 Star.

This
TonySoprano
This is why I never trust the 247 sports rankings.
infinity ag
Quote:

The player claimed to have scholarship offers from several major programs, including Alabama, Georgia and Florida, among other schools.

A major recruiting site, Rivals.com, allegedly ranked him in their database as a three-star prospect.

So that means that this fake recruit is judged to be as good as 3 * JFF
Red Rover
AG
GumboMaverick said:

These ranking sites don't need an overhaul. They need perspective.. meaning, just because they rank recruiting classes doesn't always mean they have their stuff together. They are for entertainment value (read clicks) only. Just because some crap school has a higher (slightly) rank than A&M in some random rankings doesn't mean squat.

I trust that Jimbo has his own rankings and what he goes by and that has been successful for him in the past and even in the last year. So we are in a good spot. Leave all the prognosticating to the Rivals and 247 -- but take what they say with a grain of salt. In the end, coaches and hard nose football wins. Winning recruiting only gets you so far... hell, you may lose a game vs a lower tier big10 school even though you just got a high recruiting class.

That would be correct if the recruits themselves didn't pay attention to it. Nowadays they want to partner up with other top recruits since they want to be a leader on a great team instead of a leader on a mediocre team.
The hype and inflated recruiting does provide some help to get the attention of top recruits. It does matter that both of these two recruiting sites were started by tsips and have shown to Inexplainbly bump tu recruits - some with terribly small offer lists, meaning coaches and actual talent evaluators didn't think they were anything special.
Bill Superman
AG

So where are all of the sip apologists and pundit ranking defenders on this one?

All of the takers that long for the days of being in sip shadow we're defending the rankings tooth and nail just the other day, literally calling everyone conspiracy theorists and tin foil hat wearers

Presumably the same ones that believe everything they hear from the media

Get a clue
sawemoff2010
AG
I wish they wouldn't have spoiled the secret and give all the way through signing day!

I guess someone probably found out and outed them
SoTxAg
AG
So these recruiting gurus are now operating their sites like a Yelp account, no real football evaluation just another random fool's opinion.
Flashdiaz
AG
SoTxAg said:

So these recruiting gurus are now operating their sites like a Yelp account, no real football evaluation just another random fool's opinion.
it's always been like this... now they're just lazy and rely on social media and names of schools.
Actual Talking Thermos
SoTxAg said:

I'm super mad about how Rotten Tomatoes gives me an average of opinions about the quality of movies from a broad range of sources! Why can't they just write the reviews themselves and stand behind them instead of aggregating opinions?
Snap E Tom
This seems like a good opportunity to poison the well. Generate bogus profiles, automatically reuse videos from past recruits, etc.
BuddysBud
AG
DBill said:

BuddysBud said:

Since you can't star a staff post, I'll have to do it this way.

Suck up.
Lateralus Ag
AG
ActualTalkingThermos said:

SoTxAg said:

I'm super mad about how Rotten Tomatoes gives me an average of opinions about the quality of movies from a broad range of sources! Why can't they just write the reviews themselves and stand behind them instead of aggregating opinions?

The recruiting sites and their rankings are self fulfilling prophecy. I could rank Saban's class #1 every year and be right 90% of the time. And I don't follow recruiting.
Grits
AG

SoTxAg said:

Rotten tomatoes is a piece of **** website.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Snicklepox said:

SoTxAg said:

Rotten tomatoes is a piece of **** website.

That's been proven to have been manipulated by people to give movies better scores to help ticket sales.

It's a spot on analogy. Not in the way the guy was trying to make, though.
FL_Ag1998
AG

SoTxAg said:

Don't pay any attention to this guy, he's a proven sip who's trying to distract from the fact that his team's BS ranking was just exposed.
phatpat21
Incredible
. . .
Bunk Moreland
Good for 247. And nice shot at rivals too.
Bayside Tiger Ag
AggieBill005 said:

vander54 said:

Hidden problem here that is a much bigger deal, IMO --- they didn't validate rivals info. INDEED, the rankings of these services (and TexaAgs too, to an extent, I'm sure) are not independent of one another. Its nested data with longitudinal variants, between rating service, and within rating service variability.

I would hypothesize that if one big service bumps a recruit, this draws attention, and other services are likely to take another look and adjust rankings too - thus inflating the effects of the first bump. Thus rankings are not really independent of one another, but we talk about them and think about the this way.

I dont have the data to do this, but this could definitely be modeled, with variables such as rating service, date of ranking, date(s) of ranking changes, # of total offers, # of power 5 offers, and school commitments. From this, we could statistically test whether one service drives the others and whether there is an "effect" for school offers.

Good Lord I wish I had the time! This would make a great semester project for an advanced biostats student. The data is all online, years worth. Journalists can deny all they want, but the data is there to be tested.

Pay the man, Billy. Let's do some data science.
AWP 97
AG
They should have put that the kid was verbally committed to tu and guaranteed him 5 stars.
BOZO
AG
So, if tu "signs" the imaginary player, do they still get the stars/points without having to count against their total 25?
rootube
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

AggieBill005 said:

vander54 said:

Pay the man, Billy. Let's do some data science.
There is no research required to draw a conclusion that recruit rankings are highly subjective. There is incredible bias built into the system. You are going to get more attention of you go to school in Texas or Florida, than if you live in Wyoming. You will also get more attention still if you go to a school like Allen vs. some school out in the middle of nowhere. But despite all the issues and bias, on average the ratings services are right more times than they are wrong. I could literally start a service tomorrow and rate only kids with offers from Alabama, Ohio St, and Clemson and I would look like nostradamus because the best talent evaluators in the business are doing the work for me.
Bill Superman
AG

Can't let this topic slip into oblivion

All the sip apologists are still nowhere to be seen
Lateralus Ag
AG
Sip apologists are everywhere on this board. They just choose to ignore the facts.

Oh, and for all of you "play the game" losers, here is more evidence that sip cheats. It is in the fabric if their being. They cannot help but cheat.
Old McDonald
sip apologist here

recruiting rankings are subjective and a lot of times fabricated, more news at 11

only reason i'm even here is because it's funny to see the meltdown over bs recruiting rankings because texas "beat" A&M at it
Charlie 31
AG
247 Sucks!

EOT
Pylon Cam
AG
It's pretty clear that the recruiting services are heavily biased. Stuff like this has caused me to stop caring about star rankings and trust in who our staff wants.
Charlie 31
AG
Pylon Cam said:

It's pretty clear that the recruiting services are heavily biased. Stuff like this has caused me to stop caring about star rankings and trust in who our staff wants.
IN JIMBO WE TRUST!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.