Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Any word on Elko?

24,635 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agcrock2005
gocobra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
franzbennett said:

Succesful? We are like 34th and dropping in terms of our economy. Natural gas propped up our finances during the recession when Perry was governor. We need better forward thinking leadership.
AOC... is that you?
tamc91
AG
According to Business Insider the health of the Texas economy is #4 behind only Washington, Massachusetts, and D.C., so really #3. This is based on a weighted GDP and 5 other factors combined. Not sure where you data came from unless it was simply analy extracted.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/state-economy-ranking-q1-2018-2
agcrock2005
AG
Don't you know these people don't dabble in facts?
infinity ag
northeastag said:

infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Cincinnati is interviewing several coaches including Elko. Ideally they select Aaron Glenn (former Aggie Corner/ current Saints Secondary coach) so it elevates an Aggie and helps us retain a coach.

If my boss found out I was interviewing for another position, I would most likely get fired, or at minimum be given less and less responsibilities with the notion that I am not fully committed to the company. Then fired of course.

It's amazing these guys can go around flirting with any hot chick who passes by while still being married.
Really? your employer must not think much of you. Most employers regularly discuss which employees are "flight risks". And they try like heck to keep those that they think are strong or high potential. No offense, man, but that's the way it works. You may have a lot more stroke around your company than you think.

Yes, really. I challenge you to first tell us what industry you work in, and then to go and tell everyone that you are interviewing outside. Come back and report what happens.

Elko's industry obviously allows this and it is the norm. Most of us aren't because trust and commitment is important. I may be good and capable but if my boss doesn't think he can plan around me for the mid-long term, I am useless.

infinity ag
Meximan said:

I have never worked for a company that would fire you for exploring other opportunities.

What the f### kind of a##holes do you work for?

I mean... unless it's in your contract I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Maybe even a felony.

No one will fire you if you are a waiter at a restaurant.

But in almost all other corporate jobs, if you openly tell everyone you are looking out, you will see things change around you. Try it and come let us know how it turned out. Go tell your boss that you put your resume out.

One of the ways to know if someone is looking is if you see increased Linkedin activity than normal for them. I have been able to predict based on that.
NomadicAggie
AG
Have you guys ever heard of the concept of leverage? If you are a total rainmaker at your job, or responsible for an outsized amount of the organizations profits or responsibilities, then it is generally assumed that a) likely other organizations would like to have you, b) you are smart enough to realize this, and c) it is in your best interests to always know what your true market value is.

Now if you're just another replaceable cog in a larger wheel, yeah, they'll tell you to go F yourself. Elko is viewed as having an outsized influence on our success. He's not just some middle manager in some giant corporation.
Eagle78
IMO it is highly unlikely he gets the Bengals gig. Consider that Zac Taylor has no experience as a head coach at any level. Consider how he can get screwed if the team does not perform early on and the owner and fans believe it is due to him hiring a DC who has zero experience navigating NFL waters. No, in light of ZaC Taylor's inexperience, he is going to want to hire an old hand type NFL defensive coordinator. Or at the very least go for Grantham who was a NFL DC for a couple of seasons. No way is he going to go with a guy who is a blank slate insofar as NFL coaching is concerned. Not that Elko would not do a great job there but it is a perception issue. Perception is that a brand new never-been-a-head-coach before young HC will want to hire a DC with extensive NFL experience. All the more so since Zac Taylor is an offensive guy and has zero experience on the defensive side. For these reasons, I think we keep Elko at least another year.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Eagle78 said:

IMO it is highly unlikely he gets the Bengals gig. Consider that Zac Taylor has no experience as a head coach at any level. Consider how he can get screwed if the team does not perform early on and the owner and fans believe it is due to him hiring a DC who has zero experience navigating NFL waters. No, in light of ZaC Taylor's inexperience, he is going to want to hire an old hand type NFL defensive coordinator. Or at the very least go for Grantham who was a NFL DC for a couple of seasons. No way is he going to go with a guy who is a blank slate insofar as NFL coaching is concerned. Not that Elko would not do a great job there but it is a perception issue. Perception is that a brand new never-been-a-head-coach before young HC will want to hire a DC with extensive NFL experience. All the more so since Zac Taylor is an offensive guy and has zero experience on the defensive side. For these reasons, I think we keep Elko at least another year.

Or he could hire someone with no experience because, well, they hired him!!
Actual Talking Thermos
infinity ag said:

northeastag said:

infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Cincinnati is interviewing several coaches including Elko. Ideally they select Aaron Glenn (former Aggie Corner/ current Saints Secondary coach) so it elevates an Aggie and helps us retain a coach.

If my boss found out I was interviewing for another position, I would most likely get fired, or at minimum be given less and less responsibilities with the notion that I am not fully committed to the company. Then fired of course.

It's amazing these guys can go around flirting with any hot chick who passes by while still being married.
Really? your employer must not think much of you. Most employers regularly discuss which employees are "flight risks". And they try like heck to keep those that they think are strong or high potential. No offense, man, but that's the way it works. You may have a lot more stroke around your company than you think.

Yes, really. I challenge you to first tell us what industry you work in, and then to go and tell everyone that you are interviewing outside. Come back and report what happens.

Elko's industry obviously allows this and it is the norm. Most of us aren't because trust and commitment is important. I may be good and capable but if my boss doesn't think he can plan around me for the mid-long term, I am useless.
In any profession that requires negotiating skill and strategy, I think it's a given that the people best qualified for the job are always looking at their options and looking to put themselves in the position most beneficial to them.
Lilly Biucci
AG
Looks like Grantham is the front runner at the moment.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25979956/florida-dc-todd-grantham-leading-candidate-become-bengals-dc
goadius6
AG
Lilly Biucci said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25979956/florida-dc-todd-grantham-leading-candidate-become-bengals-dc
Please stop with the relative information, this thread is no longer about Elko
Tamu_mgm
AG
Lilly Biucci said:

Hallelujah! Please hire Grantham.
Lateralus Ag
AG
goadius6 said:

Lilly Biucci said:

Please stop with the relative information, this thread is no longer about Elko

Sure it is.
ashley
Grantham has pulled out of consideration.
agcrock2005
AG
Damn. Wish this would end sooner rather than later.
Tamu_mgm
AG
ashley said:

Grantham has pulled out of consideration.
Hopefully Elko is smart enough to do the same.
Goro Majima
AG
If they couldn't get Grantham (who makes substantially less than Elko), they won't get Elko. I don't think they could match his salary.
ashley
Goro Majima said:

If they couldn't get Grantham (who makes substantially less than Elko), they won't get Elko. I don't think they could match his salary.

They can pay whatever they want. They a swimming in money.
njohn87
AG
Wonder if Jim Leavitt might be a potential backup plan if Elko leaves. Looks like he and Oregon just parted ways.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25996325/oregon-defensive-coordinator-jim-leavitt-leaving-program
eATMup-Reveille
njohn87 said:

Wonder if Jim Leavitt might be a potential backup plan if Elko leaves. Looks like he and Oregon just parted ways.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25996325/oregon-defensive-coordinator-jim-leavitt-leaving-program

Sounds like he's true to his last name.
TyHolden
AG
Leavitt would be an awesome addition...
. . .
agcrock2005
AG
I was checking to see if Bengals had hired anyone yet and came across this. Thought I would post here since this hasn't been updated in a couple weeks.

Bengals hire DC
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.