Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Any word on Elko?

24,638 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agcrock2005
Shenaniganz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard he is being considered for an NFL job. Any updates on that?
vander54
S
He is being considered for an interview. Last I heard that wasn't even a definite.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Cincinnati is interviewing several coaches including Elko. Ideally they select Aaron Glenn (former Aggie Corner/ current Saints Secondary coach) so it elevates an Aggie and helps us retain a coach.
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
NoahAg
Transferring to Arizona.
Shenaniganz
That's good. I want Fisher to throw whatever he wants at him to get keep him (ie Venables)
Schrute Farms
Where did you hear this? I haven't seen anything.
Rock1982
AG
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1093531488832970755?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093531488832970755&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F5%2Ftopics%2F3019646
TexasAggiesWin
S
TheFeelOfCotton said:

Schrute Farms
Rock1982 said:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1093531488832970755?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093531488832970755&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F5%2Ftopics%2F3019646

I must have missed that while reading the three other TexAgs threads on the subject.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
UncleJew15 said:

Cincinnati is interviewing several coaches including Elko. Ideally they select Aaron Glenn (former Aggie Corner/ current Saints Secondary coach) so it elevates an Aggie and helps us retain a coach.

So if Elko does leave for Cincy, do we hire Aaron Glenn?
Al Bula
AG
TheFeelOfCotton said:

yep here is the word on elko

rgag12
AG
He gone
rbcs_2
AG
Shife said:

TheFeelOfCotton said:

Schrute Farms
Franklin Delano Bluth said:

UncleJew15 said:

The correct response is to drop a story about money whipping Aranda, push LSU closer to bankruptcy, actually money whip Grantham, send UF a consolation basket of Layne's, and have Aaron Glenn return to play CB in our secondary. Win/Win/Win
rootube
AG
Schrute Farms said:

UncleJew15 said:

The correct response is to drop a story about money whipping Aranda, push LSU closer to bankruptcy, actually money whip Grantham, send UF a consolation basket of Layne's, and have Aaron Glenn return to play CB in our secondary. Win/Win/Win

This is an extremely underrated post. Thanks for the chuckle.
rootube
AG
rootube said:

Schrute Farms said:

UncleJew15 said:

This is an extremely underrated post. Thanks for the chuckle.
We should probably also send some Layne's to LSU as kind of a fried chicken shot across the bow.
92_Ag
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Shife said:

TheFeelOfCotton said:

Are you implying he lacks the proper koalafications?
infinity ag
UncleJew15 said:

If my boss found out I was interviewing for another position, I would most likely get fired, or at minimum be given less and less responsibilities with the notion that I am not fully committed to the company. Then fired of course.

It's amazing these guys can go around flirting with any hot chick who passes by while still being married.
rbcs_2
AG
infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

If my boss found out I was interviewing for another position, I would most likely get fired, or at minimum be given less and less responsibilities with the notion that I am not fully committed to the company. Then fired of course.

It's amazing these guys can go around flirting with any hot chick who passes by while still being married.
Nothing amazing about it he's in a position of high demand and we aren't.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
92_Ag said:

rbcs_2 said:

Shife said:

TheFeelOfCotton said:

Are you implying he lacks the proper koalafications?
I hated this joke so much I starred it. You *******!
romanagg11
infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Not sure if serious but do you piss sitting down?
MaxPower
romanagg11 said:

infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Ha I guess infinity has been at the same job since he was 18 and will work there tile he dies.

I'd say it really depends on industry dynamic. My industry is more similar to sports in that it has an annual based cycle. There's a busy season (aka when games are being played). The unwritten rule is you don't go sniffing around during that time. During low season (aka after football season ends or us ending) it's understood some folks are going to look around. In fact, it's accepted you can let your bosses know and they will actually help you because many people get blocked at a certain level or just want a change in lifestyle to reduce stress. The way my company sees it, they'd rather have happy former employees than pissed off current ones.
Chesapeake Ag
MaxPower said:

romanagg11 said:

infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Ha I guess infinity has been at the same job since he was 18 and will work there tile he dies.

I'd say it really depends on industry dynamic. My industry is more similar to sports in that it has an annual based cycle. There's a busy season (aka when games are being played). The unwritten rule is you don't go sniffing around during that time. During low season (aka after football season ends or us ending) it's understood some folks are going to look around. In fact, it's accepted you can let your bosses know and they will actually help you because many people get blocked at a certain level or just want a change in lifestyle to reduce stress. The way my company sees it, they'd rather have happy former employees than pissed off current ones.
Every football coach worth anything moves jobs, whether voluntarily or not. It's just the dynamics of the profession.

The caveats are that college football has the weird role of recruiting that is affected by shopping around, and if someone goes interviewing too much for lateral moves it might be a red flag.

But head coach and NFL jobs are arguably a progression upwards. We just care a lot more because nobody wants to lose Elko, though I honestly didn't know who he was until Jimbo hired him.
StrykerAg
AG
Bird
aglaes
AG
Elko came in and did a great job this past season and I hope he stays for a season or too longer before he gets an offer he can't refuse, but if he leaves, Jimbo has the reputation and connections and the program is in a place where we can expect to get the very best available looking to do the same - ie move up in their profession.
Bill Superman
AG

I suspect Elko stays for now and only builds his reputation and interest

And I'm sure Jimbo already has a few quality replacements in mind for when that does happen
Legacy Work Spaces
Isn't Elko making $2M+ right now here?

Seriously doubt the Bengals of all organizations splurge on that kind of money for a coordinator. And even if the Bengals are offering less, I'm sure Elko wouldn't bolt for something insanely less even if he thinks the NFL is a jump up. (Insanely less is likely what a coordinator job with the Bengals probably pays).
Legacy Work Spaces - www.LegacyWorkSpaces.com

Office Space - CoWorking- Meeting- Virtual Mail-Technology
Meximan
https://careertrend.com/info-12036363-average-salary-nfl-defensive-coordinator.html

On average an NFL gig pays out $1 mil, according to the article, with a few hitting 1.5 and above. While rare, it ain't unheard of, but the Bengals are infamously cheap. Remember when players were excited to get new towels for the wash rooms? Yeah. Those Bengals.
northeastag
AG
infinity ag said:

UncleJew15 said:

Really? your employer must not think much of you. Most employers regularly discuss which employees are "flight risks". And they try like heck to keep those that they think are strong or high potential. No offense, man, but that's the way it works. You may have a lot more stroke around your company than you think.
Meximan
I have never worked for a company that would fire you for exploring other opportunities.

What the f### kind of a##holes do you work for?

I mean... unless it's in your contract I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Maybe even a felony.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Meximan said:

I have never worked for a company that would fire you for exploring other opportunities.

What the f### kind of a##holes do you work for?

I mean... unless it's in your contract I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Maybe even a felony.

Depends. If it is a right to work State an employer can fire you for pretty much anything. Now, can they get sued? Yes. But it wouldn't be a criminal suit. And unless civil rights were violated (or some other things that the lawyers can explain) more than likely no one would go to jail.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Well played sir, well played!
Meximan
True. ******* Texas labor law.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Meximan said:

True. ******* Texas labor law.

Most successful state in the union. Can't argue with success.
franzbennett

Succesful? We are like 34th and dropping in terms of our economy. Natural gas propped up our finances during the recession when Perry was governor. We need better forward thinking leadership.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.